McVay Confirms Starters Will Play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
The worst ever was a hockey injury. A goalie got his throat cut by a skate, and he's lucky to have survived without lasting damage.
The one I can't watch is the Johnny Knox injury. He dives forward and his upper body is bent backwards until his head is by his knees. The problem is he's not bent at the waist. it's somewhere above that. How he lived, I don't know.

jjab360

Legend
Doesn't look like we'll see many starters this week either. If we come out firing on all cylinders against Oakland, I doubt we ever see starters play preseason football again as long as Mcvay is HC.

Which is fine by me, that preseason game where we lost both Bradford and Jake Long was utterly meaningless and destroyed our entire season.

There's a reason why we were the healthiest team in the league last year and it wasn't just blind luck like some pundits seem to believe. State of the art sports medicine and player specific practice regimens, Mcvay and Ted Rath are ahead of the curve.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not playing starters in preseason could be a trend. A catch 22. I thought they would play some. It shows the confidence McVay has in the starters. A guess they are a veteran group with a young QB that should be ready after the weeks of practice, OTA etc..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_(logic)

There is simply no reason not to trust McVay's confidence in this offense. He inherited a ragtag offense with a QB the media thought was a bust and a RB they were piling on after his down second season, and assembled the pieces in his first year to produce the best offense in the regular season.

He knows what he's doing.

If he's confident in these guys from seeing them in practice, I see no reason to doubt that. Now, last year? Yeah, Goff and Gurley not seeing the field would have had me concerned and I'd wonder if it's the right tact. But not after last year.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Not a fan of sitting them out. I think they should at least play one or two drives.

Not so much worried about throwing, catching, kicking but instead about ball security, lining up, crowd noise, getting smacked in the mouth for the first time in a while etc.

My fear is that we may be confident on the mental side but even Brady, Rodgers and other HoF players are talking about the importance of getting the first hit out of the way, getting comfortable with checking the play clock using the scoreboard, speeding up QB internal clocks due to guys actually following through with hits on the QB and other little “in game” things that can’t be replicated in practice.

If we turn the ball over a lot week 1, I have no doubt it’s bc our starters didn’t play at all in the preseason.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Makes you wonder, Tom Brady is playing 3 quarters and played two quarters in game two, IMO, if he can play anybody should play and again JMHO...Rams have been stung in the past, but I believe you need live action or at the very minimum a few quarters. I would have played Goff one series in game two and one quarter on Saturday, but I'm not McVay.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Makes you wonder, Tom Brady is playing 3 quarters and played two quarters in game two, IMO, if he can play anybody should play and again JMHO...Rams have been stung in the past, but I believe you need live action or at the very minimum a few quarters. I would have played Goff one series in game two and one quarter on Saturday, but I'm not McVay.

I think it's still WIP for McVay to determine what'll benefit the players going into the regular season. I think giving your starters some reps vs other teams despite being meaningless games help get them into rhythm. The week 17 sit brought some serious rust in the playoffs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

that's what i thought until i found out whit and hav were sitting. no way i'm trusting goff with the backups in preseason.

did you see grob last night almost get mayfield and chubb killed? chubb was getting hammered as soon as he touched the ball. mayfield was running for his life almost every down.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
McVay confirms that he hasn't confirmed anything, but remains open, and wishy-washy, about who will play. It's his team. I can't complain if we are healthy, and start the season with a bang, but .....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
that's what i thought until i found out whit and hav were sitting. no way i'm trusting goff with the backups in preseason.

did you see grob last night almost get mayfield and chubb killed? chubb was getting hammered as soon as he touched the ball. mayfield was running for his life almost every down.

Please don't compare our backups to GRob. I understand what you are saying, but it's like comparing guys to Jason Smith.:censored:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please don't compare our backups to GRob. I understand what you are saying, but it's like comparing guys to Jason Smith.:censored:

Is it okay to compare GRob to Jason Smith?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't look like we'll see many starters this week either. If we come out firing on all cylinders against Oakland, I doubt we ever see starters play preseason football again as long as Mcvay is HC.

Which is fine by me, that preseason game where we lost both Bradford and Jake Long was utterly meaningless and destroyed our entire season.

There's a reason why we were the healthiest team in the league last year and it wasn't just blind luck like some pundits seem to believe. State of the art sports medicine and player specific practice regimens, Mcvay and Ted Rath are ahead of the curve.

What nickname do we give our dynamic duo? The Rath of Sean? ;)

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
No way to know and can be argued. One thing is certain you don't get better or build continuity without playing.
I hope you are right this time though my Ram brother

I actually agree with your statement.... but I trust McVay's paranoid judgement and decisions with all of the intangibles involved in this 2018 preseason.

I make no guarantees that my faith in McVay's preseason decisions are without risk and in no way do I think the Rams will simply squash the Raiders in the opener.

I've seen too many upsets over the years in week 1 and the continuity by playing the starters in preseason didn't help those heavily favored teams that ended up getting their asses handed to them.

I realize my faith in McVay could be fallible and I wouldn't be shocked beyond recovery if they somehow lost the game. If you made me bet the mortgage, I would put it on the Rams and McVay's decision to play it safe and trust their preparation in practice over the final 8-9 days leading up to the opener.

This has been an unusual preseason and McVay will either be lifted up with praise with a win in Oakland or he will be scrutinized and ridiculed on many levels should his squad lay an egg in the opener at Oakland California.

SPORTS_FBN-49ERS-RAMS_7_LA.jpg

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Dang, this whole starters playing or not sounds like a politician.

"Maybe. Then again maybe not"
"It all depends"
"Yes and no"
"Basically speaking, that's hard to say"

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I would definitely prefer to see the offense gel a little before week 1. But if the Oline isn’t healthy then I trust McVay to get then ready. It’s much more important for the defense to get reps so at least we will see them.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Methinks McVay wants to see how well Noteboom and the OL he starts with Mannion on the first series pass blocks and if they do a good job, he might play Goff the next series.