Marshawn Lynch reportedly seeking new deal with expected holdout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I "Old Fashioned" to me a Contract is a Contract! Play it out, or wait until the last year of the Contract to ask for a new contract! It would bother me to see him QUIT the 'Seahags'!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I "Old Fashioned" to me a Contract is a Contract! Play it out, or wait until the last year of the Contract to ask for a new contract! It would bother me to see him QUIT the 'Seahags'!

It used to bother me when guys wanted to redo deals but with the way contracts are structured these days I cannot hold it against a player. I've done a 180 on this topic mostly because I have seen enough guys get cut because a team doesn't want to pay them the large portion of the contract.

It's one reason why I like the pay as you go approach the Rams are using right now. It's better and fairer for both sides.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I always kind of giggle when I see mention of fines for missing team events during holdouts. Waiving those fines is always part of the new deal reached, unless the player had no negotiating power.

I would be of the "A contract is a contract" mindset myself, but I find it hard to blame a player to protest being underpaid when the team can unilaterally terminate the "contract" if they feel the reverse is true.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
post-29966-ITS-HAPPENING-gif-Ron-Paul-HD-xThK.gif

Skittles aren't as cheap as they used to be.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Love this!

If those of you haven't realized this off season, including the draft, this is the beginning of something great for the Rams and the rise of our dominance in the NFCW while the other teams are going to start their decline with situations such as this helping us out!

A55VA6

Legend
Could Marshawn Lynch retire from Seahawks?

Marshawn Lynch was lacking leverage in his quiet quest for a new contract.

The Seattle Seahawks have freakishly talented "Making the Leap" candidate Christine Michael andRobert Turbin waiting in the wings to shoulder the load should Lynch miss regular-season action.

What might get the organization's attention then?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via a source close to Lynch, that the running back told two teammates during the 2013 season that he would consider retiring if the Seahawks won Super Bowl XLVIII.

Asked by Rapoport if Lynch would seriously contemplate retirement now that Seattle has a Lombardi Trophy, the source replied, "He could. I could see him walking away."

Lynch is a different cat. Having saved his money, it's quite possible he could stand his ground out of principle even if he's only requesting a relatively minor raise that would put him second or third in the NFL's running-back pecking order.

Team sources have explained to Rapoport that they have added Michael and Turbin in the draft over the past few years because Lynch's actions are so unpredictable. As much as the team's brass loves and appreciates Lynch, they don't want to be left holding the bag if plans go awry.

It's not unusual for stories of this nature to pop up in June. The Ravens seemingly dealt with it on an annual basis with Ed Reed.

Seahawks fans have no reason to panic unless Lynch is still giving off mixed signals come September.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-is-an-option?campaign=Facebook_atl_wesseling

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
At age 28, Beastmode needs to go for a contract extension now. I think his leverage is at a highpoint right now. Next year will be too late.

When was the last time a team didn't bend, and their running back's hold out cut into the regular season? I can't remember.

Did that happen to Chris Johnson?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I shudder to think when this stuff starts hitting the Rams. Right now none of the young guys is deserving of a raise, except Quinn but drafting players with me first character types makes these future holdouts seem like an inevitability. Jenkins and Ogletree would be prime candidates for holding out if they break out in the near future. I cannot revel in this Seattle misfortune because I know, what goes around comes around.

I was sad when the 99' team started to break up with free agent defections.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
ML has definitely earned a pay increase, he carries their O and was instrumental in them getting to the SB - just give the guy his money or restructure to include performance based bonuses...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rookie contracts aren't able to be holdouts, as I understand.

Our problem is deciding how to manage the 2nd contracts for Brockers, Jenks, Ogletree, etc as they will come due bang-bang-bang.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Yeah I'm pretty well with ya almost to the end there, I'm big on freedom if you are reading other threads here, but once you've signed a contract ,I'm pretty FU on backing out of them ,but when it F's the other teams we're competing with ,my hypocrisy can go that far.
But if he just walks away and quits I admire the guy.

lockdnram21

Legend
They already said there not paying him. That's the reason they drafted Michael last season. Lynch also has told people he might retire

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
They already said there not paying him. That's the reason they drafted Michael last season. Lynch also has told people he might retire
Well they got the value out of that trade, and IMO could trade him now for all they gave.
I think Carroll might lose control of that team any time now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Rookie contracts aren't able to be holdouts, as I understand.

Our problem is deciding how to manage the 2nd contracts for Brockers, Jenks, Ogletree, etc as they will come due bang-bang-bang.

Good question for KD next time he is around........I'm sure he has a strategy and that it's well thought out. And that he has a Plan B just in case LOL.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I can only hope that they lowball him and he does retire, he WAS their offense last year and they'd be stupid to think that a rookie would replace it right away. Wilson'll be in for a season of hurt if Lynch is gone.

Better get used to being the real captain checkdown.