Marshawn Lynch reportedly seeking new deal with expected holdout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Marshawn Lynch reportedly seeking new deal with expected holdout
By Matt Verderame @MattVerderame

20140126_sal_aa9_043.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Lynch is looking for a new deal after performing at an elite level over the past three seasons.

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch is expected to withhold his services from the team's mandatory minicamp next week as a show of frustration with his current contract, according to Yahoo! Sports' Rand Getlin. Should Lynch skip all three days of the minicamp, he will be subject to a $69,455 fine, per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

Lynch is entering the third year of a four-year deal, which still has $5 million being paid to him this year and $5.5 million coming in 2015 via base salary. However, the Oakland, Calif., native feels he is being underpaid after receiving $17 million the first two years of his deal.

The highest paid running back in the league is Adrian Peterson with a base of $11.75 million. Lynch ranks fifth, behind LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte and Arian Foster.

Over the past three seasons, Lynch has been a top-flight player. The former first round pick of the Buffalo Bills in 2007 rushed for 1,204 yards in 2011 before posting a career-high 1,590 on five yards per carry in 2012. Last season, Lynch gained 1,257 yards on the ground and scored 12 touchdowns, giving him 35 over that span.

Having turned 28 years old in April, Lynch is still on the right side of 30 for a new deal. However, any kind of legitimate extension will bring him past that threshold. Seattle's offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell spoke this offseason about going to a running-back-by-committee approach before backing off that notion recently, according to the Seattle Times.

There has been talk the team likes Christine Michael, a second-year back out of Texas A&M. General manager John Schneider certainly has tough decisions ahead, with the looming free agencies of Cliff Avril, Byron Maxwell and K.J. Wright after this campaign. Russell Wilson is also in line for a massive raise over his current sub million-dollar salary following the 2015-16 season.

Should Lynch hold out, this would not be the first time a running back has been a no-show in hopes of cashing in. Back in 2011, Chris Johnson was scheduled to make $1.065 million before missing the beginning of training camp for a new deal, per the Washington Post. Johnson had previously held out in 2010 and gained nothing, but this time was made the highest-paid running back in NFL history with a four-year, $53.5 million deal with $30M guaranteed.

Ultimately, Johnson made it through three of those years before being released. He signed with the New York Jets this offseason on a two-year, $8 million contract.

Maurice Jones-Drew held out in 2012, pining for a more lucrative deal from the Jacksonville Jaguars after three consecutive seasons of 1,000-plus rushing yards. Jones-Drew held out for the entirety of the team's OTAs and minicamps before missing all of training camp. The Jaguars refused to bend, leaving Jones-Drew to come back days before Week 1. In the two seasons since, Jones-Drew has gained a total of 1,217 rushing yards.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
He's going to hold out of the endzone until fans throw quarters at him instead of skittles.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
At age 28, Beastmode needs to go for a contract extension now. I think his leverage is at a highpoint right now. Next year will be too late.

When was the last time a team didn't bend, and their running back's hold out cut into the regular season? I can't remember.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
At age 28, Beastmode needs to go for a contract extension now. I think his leverage is at a highpoint right now. Next year will be too late.

I scouted Christine Michael and I like him too.

I put Christine Michaels in my mock draft that year, the kid is explosive. I'm not sure who I want the Rams to play against lol.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Lynch gets whatever he wants on this one. He carries that offense and he creates their whole personality of a pounding run attack.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If they don't pay him, he holds out and has "issues" when he finally does report ,it's gonna divide the fan base.

Bring on Christine Michael no way he knows pass pro like BM does :D (see whut I dun there?)
Russel Wilson will be saying "pay the man".

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
schadenboner (shay den bo nur; noun): An erection resulting from an overwhelming sense of schadenfreude.

Ex.: When I heard Beast Mode was holding out and causing dissension in the Seahawks ranks, I sprung a schadenboner.

If they don't pay him, he holds out and has "issues" when he finally does report ,it's gonna divide the fan base.

Bring on Christine Michael no way he knows pass pro like BM does :D (see whut I dun there?)
Russel Wilson will be saying "pay the man".

No?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

When was the last time a team didn't bend, and their running back's hold out cut into the regular season? I can't remember.

Emmitt Smith held out for a couple of games and Jerruh caved and paid him after going 0-2.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Might as well get paid. He doesn't really have a future of being an analyst or anything, with the way he hates interviews.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Lynch gets whatever he wants on this one. He carries that offense and he creates their whole personality of a pounding run attack.

This is going to happen even though they will have him on the roster 1-2 years longer than they want at a not to friendly cap hit. But they need him for the next 2-3 years because without him their O is too greatly diminished.

Age aside, he has 1955 touches, 1753 are rushes and he isn't a gentle runner, those are hard carries. If we assume that a RB's viability decreases rapidly after 2500 touches he has two more years at his typical rate of rushing and receiving (as a Seahawk) before he reaches 2500. That is sort of in line with what I would think the window is for SEA being a SB contender before they lose players to age and free agency.

They will pay him because it's the only play, not just the smart play. Without him they are 9-7 and they know it.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Might as well get paid. He doesn't really have a future of being an analyst or anything, with the way he hates interviews.

Come on bro, I think he would make a great analyst. Imagine when it's his turn to talk he just stares at the screen, when he's interviewing someone he just sticks the mic in there face with out asking a question.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I hate hearing that the shecocks are having to deal with a contract problem and holdout with one of their best players.

Baaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh yeah, being a Fort Worth I remember that! That was about 20 years ago.

Yup it was, that's how long it's been since I can recall a team not caving. ML will get his new contract and cash in big time.