Marcus Peters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Rewatching the game I will say this.

Peters doesn't get beat every play and is really close in the Saints game and prior games to picks and great plays. It's just his Technique on the deep passes isn't 4 quarters.

It's correctable. With Talib back Peters may be able to shut down the WR 2 on most teams.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Noticed that too is Littleton calling plays a few times JJ43 was like whats going on? They aren’t setting and blowing assignments...

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be honest, I haven't read all 14 pages of the thread and I'm not sure if anyone has touched upon what I saw on the Thomas TD.

I’m not sticking up for Peters, he has played poorly since his injury.

On this particular play there is confusion from the get go on the coverage. You see Peters trying to communicate with I believe Joyner.

peters 1.jpg

Brees see all this confusion walking up to the line of scrimmage and strikes quickly.

peters 2.jpg

Peters gets caught flat footed on the snap.

peters 3.jpg

Thomas just fly’s by Peters with no over the top safety help.

peters 4.jpg

This is the way I saw it going down on this play. No excuses, just need better communication.

giphy.gif

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'll be honest, I haven't read all 14 pages of the thread and I'm not sure if anyone has touched upon what I saw on the Thomas TD.

I’m not sticking up for Peters, he has played poorly since his injury.

On this particular play there is confusion from the get go on the coverage. You see Peters trying to communicate with I believe Joyner.

View attachment 26960

Brees see all this confusion walking up to the line of scrimmage and strikes quickly.

View attachment 26961

Peters gets caught flat footed on the snap.

View attachment 26962

Thomas just fly’s by Peters with no over the top safety help.

View attachment 26963

This is the way I saw it going down on this play. No excuses, just need better communication.

giphy.gif
That’s gotta be on Joyner. No reason to have two guys in the flat.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s gotta be on Joyner. No reason to have two guys in the flat.
maybe peters was trying to get Joyner to play deeper as the RB had gone in motion out wide with littleton going with him to cover so the running threat has gone and peters wanted Joyner to drop deeper and play backend coverage ???

joyner where he was pre snap seems very odd to me i mean i get they were playing the sticks at 3rd and 7 but like you say two people covering the dump off

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Is that Peters telling JJ or LJ to play over the top?? It would make sense since he sees Thomas lined up in the slot and Littleton is out wide with Ingram.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
MP doesn’t look fast to me. Or particularly quick, honestly.

That leads me to believe that he’s still not 100%. I don’t care what he or anyone else says. It’s right there on the film.

But there are other issues with this D. Too many of them, tbh.

Bottom line, after 9 damned games this group should be playing smoothly together and kicking ass.

But they’re not.

If Wade doesn’t get this “fixed” we will struggle come playoff time. And that would be a shame given all the money and picks that gave been invested in this D. Sigh...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

That leads me to believe that he’s still not 100%. I don’t care what he or anyone else says. It’s right there on the film.

Bottom line, after 9 damned games this group should be playing smoothly together and kicking ass.

But they’re not.

If Wade doesn’t get this “fixed” we will struggle come playoff time. And that would be a shame given all the money and picks that gave been invested in this D. Sigh...

What is interesting here, 43, is that the problems in the secondary go back to Talib's injury, and prior to this LOSS there was not only a mild reaction to concerns among some of the faithful, and there was even a groundswell of support to pay Peters. So IMO losing to the Saints is going to be a good thing for this team. Because the loss strengthens the need to address the concerns and that starts with the players in question.

Peters needs to fix his eye discipline and play the calls, first off. In all of our coverage problems in the secondary he is the most glaring simply because he can play better than he has. Hill and Shields and the rest of the depth options are what they are. The area where we can improve is Peters, up until we get Talib back of course.

Our safeties should also be able to improve. Joyner in particular but not just him. Johnson is a feast/famine type of dude, his man coverage matchup ability on TEs is damn near elite, but I think these guys as a duo can do better.

And of course the rush. Fowler flashed a little bit, here's hoping there's more ahead because we need it. And Obo might have a little somethin somethin here down the stretch too if they can get him all coached up in the scheme.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Should have fined him double that. I know damn well he hid another burner phone in the other goal post.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...s-still-believes-in-marcus-peters-do-the-rams

By: Lindsey Thiry

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- At least this time, it wasn't the official's flag, like the one he threw last season, that he chucked into the stands at MetLife Stadium.

Marcus Peters was looking to break out of a slump. Nine weeks had passed since the Los Angeles Rams cornerback intercepted a pass.

And Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, Peters saw a chance to make it happen. Or so he thought.

Peters pressured Doug Baldwin as the Seahawks receiver burst off the line, but he held onto Baldwin just a little too long, before he turned and picked off a haphazard pass from Russell Wilson. An official threw a flag, and Peters appeared bewildered that he'd drawn a penalty.

Before the referee announced the ruling, Peters threw the football into the stands at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, then turned to the field and readied himself for the next play.

This season, Peters hasn't been under any false impressions.

The fourth-year pro knows he's been getting beaten too much, and he'll be the first to tell you.

But Peters, who has a league-high 20 interceptions since 2015, said he's still "a top f---ing corner in the league."

The question is, as the Rams (9-1) prepare for a Monday night showdown (8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN) against Peters' former team -- the Kansas City Chiefs (9-1) -- what has to happen for the two-time Pro Bowl cornerback to play like it?
The Rams caught the attention of the NFL in the offseason when they traded for Peters, giving a fourth-round pick this year and a second-round pick in 2019 to the Chiefs. They were serious about upgrading their defense, and intent on making a Super Bowl run.

The Chiefs, perhaps, had a message of their own: Peters, for all his talent and playmaking ability, wasn't worth the headache before and after the whistle.

In Kansas City, chairman Clark Hunt was upset about Peters' protests during the national anthem. The two eventually compromised around midseason, and from that point, Peters stayed in the locker room until the anthem was finished.

More publicly, a camera caught Peters directing an expletive at a fan behind the Chiefs' bench. And later in the season, things got downright bizarre. In a game against the New York Jets, Peters was penalized after throwing an official's flag into the stands. Peters then retreated to the locker room even though he had not been ejected from the game, and later returned, not wearing his game socks.
When Peters arrived in L.A., he addressed a reputation that preceded him, and has not looked back.

Coaches and teammates have welcomed Peters for who he is, brutal honesty and all, no matter the time or setting. And unlike in Kansas City, Peters has kept the scenes to a minimum.

There was the ode to Marshawn Lynch in Oakland -- when Peters leaped backward and grabbed his crotch as he returned an interception for a touchdown. The gesture earned him a $13,000 fine.

And, from his "s---, pay the man" analysis of Aaron Donald's contract dispute to the in-depth description of his "f--- it syndrome," there has been the occasional curse-laden, viral-sensation media sessions.

Most recently, Peters was asked about Asshole Face's comments that the New Orleans Saints coach got the matchup he wanted on a 72-yard touchdown pass to Michael Thomas, on which Peters was the defender.

"Tell Asshole Face to keep talking that s---. We going to see him soon, you feel me?" Peters said. "Because I like what he was saying on the sidelines, too. So tell him to keep talking that s---. I hope he see me soon, you feel me? Then we going to have a good lil, nice lil bowl of gumbo together."

While the Chiefs had their fill of Peters, the Rams have not wavered publicly in their support.

Peters, to his credit, has boldly accepted one of head coach Sean McVay's biggest tenets: accountability. And his "get beat, move on" message has resounded through the organization, even if Peters’ delivery and personality hasn’t always jibed with the Rams’ buttoned-up, football-first public persona.

"He isn't in the business of fluff," cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman said.

Peters, 25, made his name with the Chiefs playing mostly off-man coverage in a scheme that allowed the 6-foot, 195-pound corner to rely on his instincts, ability to diagnose the quarterback and ball skills. In a word: freelancing. In three seasons, Peters was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year, earned first-team All-Pro honors and forced 24 turnovers, including a league-high 19 interceptions and five forced fumbles.

With the Rams, he has struggled to adjust to defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme designed for the corners to often play press coverage at the line of scrimmage. Peters' eyes too often have fixated on the quarterback, and too often, his receiver has taken advantage. It also hasn't helped that veteran Aqib Talib, who starred in Phillips' scheme when the Denver Broncos won the Super Bowl, has been on injured reserve since Week 4.

Lamarcus Joyner crept closer to the box. Peters looked to his left, hollered at teammates and waved his arm. Before he knew it,
Thomas sprinted past him.

Peters -- about four yards off Thomas -- jumped in a desperate attempt to break up the play, but with no safety help deep, Thomas took it in for a touchdown, busted out a cell phone and delivered a final dagger in the Rams' first loss of the season.

"I'm putting that on me," Phillips said. "Any time that it's third-and-7, it's the end of the game and you've got one-on-one with no help with their best player, then that's on the coaches."

It also proved to be a career day for Thomas, who caught 12 passes for a franchise-record 211 receiving yards. According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Peters was the nearest defender on eight of Thomas' targets; he caught six of them for 127 yards and a touchdown.

"Regardless of what Coach called, we've got to go out there and make plays," Peters said. "And we just didn't -- I didn't execute."

Peters was also beaten deep for scores in games against the Chargers, Vikings, Packers and in the first meeting with the Seahawks.

Peters has been the nearest defender on seven touchdown passes, the most given up by a cornerback this season, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. His lone interception came in Week 1 against the Oakland Raiders, and his touchdown-to-interception ratio sits at 7-1 this season, compared to 4-3 in 2017. And targeted receivers are averaging 11.5 yards per target against him, the fifth-highest rate allowed by a cornerback with at least 25 such targets.

"In a lot of instances he's isolated one-on-one with the other team's best receiver and that's come up throughout various times this season," McVay said. "There's going to be an element of, those great players will make some of their plays. I think the standards that Marcus has for himself, that we have for him, we expect him to play and make some of those plays."

Despite a lack of results, Rams coaches have maintained their confidence in Peters' ability to thrive in their system. Peters realizes he hasn't lived up to the reputation he built with the Chiefs, and that his performance for the rest of the season will go a long way in determining his future.

"When you perform in this league as much as I did, and you come in and you are one of these players who makes those plays, and used to making those plays, and those plays not coming, it kind of frustrates you," Peters said. "But when you've got an offense and defense as talented as this is, it's just all about finding your groove and finding where you fit in through everything."
This offseason, a decision likely will need to be made about Peters' future. He is in the fourth year of his five-year rookie deal, and is scheduled to make $1.74 million this season and $9.06 million next.

But beyond 2019? The Rams don't have a recent history of giving long-term deals to defensive backs. Janoris Jenkins departed in free agency to sign with the New York Giants, and Trumaine Johnson signed with the Jets.

Peters doesn't want to leave L.A. He’s happy with the coaching staff, the culture and environment with his teammates. But the question remains: Can he produce enough over the final six games and playoffs to keep the Rams happy and prove he's worth a long-term extension?

Peters hasn't addressed any contract talk, choosing to focus on the immediate future and playing to his standard.

After Sunday's victory, Peters posted a photo of himself on Twitter, clad in the Rams' yellow-and-blue throwback jersey, a smile plastered across his face.

"Back on track," Peters wrote.

For Peters, Monday night is another opportunity to show the Chiefs what they gave away, and a stage to prove to the Rams that they made the right decision.

"With me, I'm going to continue to fight," Peters said. "That's the type of player I am. Who gives a s---, you're going to get beat in football. But you go out there, you compete to the highest of your ability, and s--- happens."

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

But they’re not.

I blame this on Wade. How many times does a guy have to get torched before you stop calling a defense where you put him on an island like that. Or how many times is Joyner not going to see the obvious and get deep to help cover or is it Littleton not getting the calls out or what ever it is. In the seahawk game how can we let Wilson run wild like that. I'm tired of Wades bullshit defense. Pull it together man.

Ellard80

Legend

But they’re not.

If you read Prime Time's college scouting report of him before the draft. One concern about him was that he didn't have great speed or quickness.

Peters is more of a physical corner - akin to Xavier Rhodes ect.

One thing I will say - Peters can be a strong strong tackler at times. I noticed that a few times the last couple games.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just do your damn job Peters. Otherwise you're going to find that teams aren't going to put up with your reckless BS, and angling for a big FA payday will be the least of your worries.

I expect KC to torch him mercilessly and Mahomes to scramble drill the F out of him and our secondary at large. But if there was ever a perfect game for a player to ball out and show the world he's still got it... It's this one for Marcus Peters.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But if there was ever a perfect game for a player to ball out and show the world he's still got it... It's this one for Marcus Peters.

One could argue we are building toward something in this one.

I am betting on Peters.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
How do you like me now!!!!!!!!!!
We love you Marcus......

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
How about Peters getting a key interception against his old team?! You can't write it up any better.