Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Rams really got the better end of this deal. Right place at right time and cred to Les for rolling the dice. Best thing about it is Peters knows if he wants to get paid he's gonna have to toe the line with no BS. Only potential pitfall really is that a lot of folks thinking he's going to hold out for his last season of team control.

Also liked what he said about Alex Smith. He and I are on the same page there.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Great news. I thought the Chiefs would have asked for more volume based on no first being involved. I still have a feeling the Rams will trade back from 23 to the early 2nd to try to make up some draft capital.

I agree unless someone like Johnson CB from Iowa falls.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wasn't Peters one the players who knelt during the national anthem ?

Wasn't the Rams one of the teams who didn't have any players kneel during the knelt during the national anthem ?

wonder how that is going to play out

I’m so done with ANYONE taking issue with kneeling (not saying you are or aren’t), saying that it disrespects the flag (it doesn’t) when these same people never said one damn thing about the NFL DESECRATING THE FLAG in multiple venues every game they unfurled those giant flags horizontally. Btw, they continue to do so in a symbol of faux patriotism that’s disgusting. It’s all dogmatic BS. If people truly cared about the flag, it would be displayed and respected properly.

As a vet and someone who knows the rules for displaying the flag and who truly cares about honoring the flag properly, the NFL’s belligerence for desecrating the flag infuriates me.

And NEWSLASH: we will continue to have social issues intrude on sports (like Tommie Smith and John Carlos in 1968 at the Olympics in Mexico City) whenever we as a society refuse to address those exigent social issues like grownups with grace, humility and respect for the humanity of all.

As for Marcus Peters, we made out like bandits.

I honestly don’t know if there’s another CB that’s a better fit for Wade’s D than Peters.

It didn’t take much watching of film to see that we would have scored with high picks in the trade, but low picks? Our D is gonna be special this year and Snead is gonna look like a dang genius.

Sorry, but the NFL’s treatment of the flag really rubs me the wrong way.

Love you all even if we disagree.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
i think you are missing what im trying to say. yes barron played well in his role and its actually a great fit for him position/role wise. the problem is its also the ideal role for ogletree in this defense. so what im getting at is the two of them together is not a good duo and one will end up needing to go and its not going to be ogletree

Understand much better what you're saying. I understand that Ogletree is staying. Even if the Rams get a thumper to replace Barron, Ogletree has to play better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And NEWSLASH: we will continue to have social issues intrude on sports (like Tommie Smith and John Carlos in 1968 at the Olympics in Mexico City) whenever we as a society refuse to address those exigent social issues like grownups with grace, humility and respect for the humanity of all.

And that will forever be iconic. But you better bet those guys took shit for it at the time. Standing up for what you believe in often means taking shit for it, but it's worth it. Because when you don't stand up for what's right, very bad things happen.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
The more I read about Peters the less I like the trade.

Someone familiar with Peters wrote this on another forum

im not sure why everyone is so up in arms about this trade

peters gambles basically every play and gets beat a lot... he also makes gets a good amount of picks because; well, if you gamble every play you will win some of those

pro football focus has him as the number 17 rated corner..... he's good but not great, he's not the cornerstone of a great secondary like revis, sherman, peterson, etc

plus he is a locker room issue.... if you can get a 1 plus other picks.... it's a no brainer. the rams will wish they hadn't made this move in a year or two

Memoriesdk

UDFA
Name
Memoriesdk

Well, I may be wrong but if he got beat a lot his passing rating allowed would be much higher than 60.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

PFF rates him 17 makes me like him more. PFF is garbage. Look at the numbers lots of ints and forced fumbles and one of the lowest completion percentages given up. He's one of the best corners in the game, they all get beat sometimes.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-nfl-cbs-by-lowest-passer-rating-when-targeted
Top 10 NFL CBs by lowest passer rating when targeted

BY RYAN SMITH • DEC 15, 2017
USATSI_10321635-copy.jpg

Oct 1, 2017; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback A.J. Bouye (21) celebrates an interception against the New York Jets during the fourth quarter at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
As an NFL cornerback in pass coverage, if targeted by today’s pass-happy offenses – your job is to force incompletions and collect interceptions. By doing so, you hurt the opposing quarterback’s passer rating, with the ultimate goal of getting the opposing offense off the field. PFF’s passer rating when targeted signature stat gives great vindication of who indeed are arguably the league’s best cover corners in a given season.

39.6 is the number a quarterback receives for simply throwing an incompletion, so anything under that mark when targeting one cornerback is truly incredible, especially after 14 weeks of the NFL season.

*Editor’s Note: This data was pulled prior to the Thursday Night Football game between Denver and Indianapolis, and thus all stats reflect up to the culmination of Week 14 of the NFL season.

TOP NFL CBS BY LOWEST PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED, THROUGH WEEK 14
AJ-Bouye-Passer-Rating-PW14-BW.png

1. A.J. BOUYE, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Passer Rating when Targeted: 26.0
This past offseason, Bouye signed a lucrative deal with Jacksonville after a breakout season in Houston. He’s been worth every penny to this point as he ranks tied for fourth in coverage grade (90.9) among cornerbacks, which includes a cornerback-leading six interceptions. Bouye also has yet to allow a touchdown despite playing the most coverage snaps of any CB on this list (493).

2. WILLIAM JACKSON, CINCINNATI BENGALS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 41.6
A 2016 first-round draft pick, PFF’s Sam Monson detailed why WJ III may be the best CB in his draft. When given playing time this season, Jackson has been lockdown – especially against the likes of Antonio Brown, where he has yet to allow a catch on eight targets. Jackson might only have one pick to show for it, but his 40.5 catch rate into his coverage leads all corners and his yards allowed per cover snap ranks second (0.53).

WJIII-AB.png

3. MARSHON LATTIMORE, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 45.3
Lattimore has been part of a franchise-changing draft for the Saints in 2017. The 11th-overall pick has yet to give up a touchdown on 312 snaps spent in coverage. The only wide receiver to put up more than 38 yards against him this season is Julio Jones – a matchup in which Lattimore was able to pull down an interception.

4. JIMMY SMITH, BALTIMORE RAVENS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 49.2
Before going down to injury, Smith was having the best season of his career. His top end play for Baltimore has been fantastic, but there have been some low points in his career thus far. This season, he hadn’t been targeted as much, ranking eight in cover snaps per target (8.5), however he still made plays when given his opportunities as he tied for ninth in playmaker index, bringing down three interceptions and five pass breakups this year.

5. CASEY HAYWARD, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 49.9
Improving every year since he left Green Bay, Hayward has had a career year and is the gold standard in coverage in 2017. He ranks first in coverage grade (97.2) and in turn is the highest graded cornerback overall in 2017. Just 42.2 percent of passes thrown his way have been caught. Hayward has been especially on a tear recently: in his last seven games he has more PDs/INTs (12) than catches allowed (10).

NFL-1714-CB-Season-Grades.jpg

6. KENDALL FULLER, WASHINGTON REDSKINS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 51.8
Both Kendall and Kyle Fuller are having productive seasons, but it’s the Washington brother that has been more impressive. He ranks eighth in coverage grade (88.5) this season as Fuller’s work in limiting receivers has earned him such a high grade. He has not allowed more than 38 yards in a game this season and has allowed just one touchdown. He also has four interceptions, which ranks tied for third among cornerbacks.

7. JALEN RAMSEY, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 54.3
One of the league’s more polarizing figures, Ramsey has been as good as advertised. Since Week 13 of the 2016 season, there may not be a better cornerback in the NFL. This season alone, he has four interceptions (tied for third-most) and 10 pass breakups (tied for 10th). He consistently makes plays on the ball as the former-Florida State Seminole has allowed just one touchdown on 76 targets this season. Ramsey ranks as PFF’s No. 2 overall CB with his 94.1 overall grade.

8. TRAMON WILLIAMS, ARIZONA CARDINALS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 56.8
Since replacing Justin Bethel in Week 6, Williams has found his best form since 2010. Only 50 percent of the passes thrown his way have been caught, which ranks 12th out of 119 cornerbacks, not bad for the 12-year veteran.

9. RASHAAN MELVIN, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 60.3
Melvin has been a bright spot on a struggling Colts team this season before missing time with a hand injury. He ranks third on PFF’s ‘playmaker index,’ which measures plays on the ball (INTs + PDs), as he has disrupted passes thrown his way 23.6 percent of the time.

10. DARIUS SLAY, DETROIT LIONS
PASSER RATING WHEN TARGETED: 63.6
‘Big play Slay’ rounds out the top 10 with five interceptions and eight pass defenses. Quarterbacks have targeted the Slay 87 times in 2017, tied for the third-most in the NFL. No other cornerback on this list ranks in the top 10 of targets. Even more impressive with the high volume of targets, Slay ranks 12th in coverage grade among corners (87.0).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surprising how many really good CBs there are in the NFL. The drop off is steep

Ram65

Legend

He fits the bill as being cocky and confident as an NFL CB. Looks back at the greats Dion etc is cool. Should have asked if he wanted to be traded. I think he takes it up a notch or so because of the trade. Looking forward to seeing how good he is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sounds a lot like what bitter Rams fans were saying about Janoris when he left.

fearsomefour

Legend
Sounds a lot like what bitter Rams fans were saying about Janoris when he left.
Exactly, we cant judge locker room dynamics from fan land. JJ was a good player with a "personality", Peters is a better player with a "personality"....Im sure Wade will keep him reigned in.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

Sounds like a KC fan that is making excuses not to be upset. I love this deal. He is an upgrade over Tru and for a fraction of the price. Win win.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree unless someone like Johnson CB from Iowa falls.
Well, that's the sticky wicket. You'll need a player to drop for a team to want to trade up to #23. Kind of think we need a Johnson to drop in order to trade
So whereas I am hoping that 5 QB get drafted before 23, so we have a better chance of a player dropping, we may be better off if a top QB drops that far, causing a team to pay heavy to move up

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I’m so done with ANYONE taking issue with kneeling (not saying you are or aren’t), saying that it disrespects the flag (it doesn’t) when these same people never said one damn thing about the NFL DESECRATING THE FLAG in multiple venues every game they unfurled those giant flags horizontally. Btw, they continue to do so in a symbol of faux patriotism that’s disgusting. It’s all dogmatic BS. If people truly cared about the flag, it would be displayed and respected properly.

As a vet and someone who knows the rules for displaying the flag and who truly cares about honoring the flag properly, the NFL’s belligerence for desecrating the flag infuriates me.
While I agree with you on any display that disrespects the flag, technically that big banner unfurled at NFL games is not a flag as it is one sided. It may be a bit of a technicality but it isn’t officially a flag.

I disagree with you on the kneeling issue. I PERSONALLY feel it is a misguided gesture utilizing an inappropriate vehicle. And the fact that it harms the product you are hired and paid to produce, it is doubly inappropriate.

g041579

UDFA
Name
Phil

As for Marcus Peters, we made out like bandits.

I honestly don’t know if there’s another CB that’s a better fit for Wade’s D than Peters.

It didn’t take much watching of film to see that we would have scored with high picks in the trade, but low picks? Our D is gonna be special this year and Snead is gonna look like a dang genius.

Sorry, but the NFL’s treatment of the flag really rubs me the wrong way.

Love you all even if we disagree.

I feel the same about the flag protocol,kneeling when you pray is consider honoring, but if you kneel during the flag it's consider the opposite. I'm also a vet and feel they over do the flag thing at times and it should be honored only at events honoring the armed forces or governmental events so the politics are left out it.

Snead the dealer score with Peters and look out nfc west. We just might be building a future dynasty !

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I agree with you on any display that disrespects the flag, technically that big banner unfurled at NFL games is not a flag as it is one sided. It may be a bit of a technicality but it isn’t officially a flag.

I disagree with you on the kneeling issue. I PERSONALLY feel it is a misguided gesture utilizing an inappropriate vehicle. And the fact that it harms the product you are hired and paid to produce, it is doubly inappropriate.

Does it really harm the product though? Reports are that viewership was down, but it's getting impossible to tell with all the streaming. On the flip side, "no press is bad press". The kneeling had outlets discussing the NFL that didn't normally.

As for the kneeling - I don't think I'll ever understand your view point. Aside from @Mackeyser whose post was brilliant, I've had other military people tell me it doesn't bother them. And even if it does bother some people, the irony is that things in life have bothered some people enough to the point where they feel like they have to kneel during the anthem. So it worked.

This country is all about freedom, and people can do whatever they want during the anthem IMO. And there are issues, and based on the conversations it's started, I think it was the right move.