Marcus Mariota?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Dr C. Hill liking what we have:
I don't agree with Alan. Davis has been a ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day. From my seat in section 433, he looked better than Wilson. If that team ever has to rely on his arm, their season is over!

There is no reason to draft a QB next season. There is really no need to draft one that will serve time.
Davis has been a ray of sunshine. :) I don't want to draft a QB early either.

Gotta say though, saying Davis looked better better than Wilson and then saying Wilson sucks isn't much of an endorsement of Davis is it? :LOL:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Of course, I am still hoping the Rams start playing like we all think they are capable of and start winning some games but in the worst case scenario and if QB Marcus Mariota is available to the Rams when they pick in the next Draft do you take him? I do realize that we are all hoping that Austin Davis plays really well for the rest of the season but if Mariota is as good as most so-called experts say he is (and, I have to admit that he seems to be the real deal even if he does play in a QB Friendly System at Oregon) could the Rams really afford to pass on him? And, I have been a huge Sam Bradford fan since he was drafted by the Rams but his ability to stay on the field due to his health has to be a major concern for the Rams (As does his salary).

NO!

moklerman

Warner-phile
In 5 1/2 games with Davis at the helm the Rams offense has scored 97 points which is an average of 17.6 PPG. 28 of those points came against the Shegals Prevent D. His performance can only be considered good because of his "rookie" status.

Like I said though, it's trending in a positive direction.
That's a pretty big consideration wouldn't you say? And it isn't just that he's a first time starter, it's the fact that he came from so far down the depth chart. Regardless of the statistics, I think it's clear that with Davis, this team actually has an offense and a chance to win every week. That's a big improvement over the last decade or so.

But the point is, the Rams won't need a QB. As was also stated, hopefully they're not even in a position to draft one.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sure. Why not? Weren't Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Dez Bryant, etc. supposed to be coach killers?

Lesser teams sometimes have to take bigger risks. Winston and DGB can be whatever they want to be in the NFL.

Well, I wouldn't classify them as that. None of those guys were supposed to be coach killers. Not that I read. Having flags isn't the same as being a coach killer. Guys that end up "do not draft" who have 1st round talent... those are coach killers.

I won't belabor the point, but I think Winston is f'n kryptonite....radioactive....poison. That he plays ball is the siren song to the ultimate death for the franchise that ultimately picks him... like Justin Blackmon who I tried to tell anyone who would listen to stay away from.

I don't believe Winston CAN be whatever he wants because he can't stop being a knucklehead. The NFL isn't the NCAA where he gets to live in a college town where the police cover for you and your head coach completely sells out for you like Jimbo Fisher is... watching Jimbo Fisher right now at a press conference is painful. He looks like he's trying to swallow a pill the size of Shaq's shoe.

I know you just think this kid is all that and a truckload of chips, but I really hope you find out what a disaster he'll be when he implodes on another team...

AZRamsFan93

But the point is, the Rams won't need a QB. As was also stated, hopefully they're not even in a position to draft one.
Heaven knows we don't need more than one good quarterback on the team. It's not like they ever get hurt....

moklerman

Warner-phile
Heaven knows we don't need more than one good quarterback on the team. It's not like they ever get hurt....
Bradford + Davis = 2 plus the kid they drafted this year. Unless a Rodgers-like QB falls in the draft, I don't see the Rams using their first rounder on a QB when they don't NEED one.

AZRamsFan93

Bradford + Davis = 2 plus the kid they drafted this year. Unless a Rodgers-like QB falls in the draft, I don't see the Rams using their first rounder on a QB when they don't NEED one.
So are sure Bradford will be ready to play? Or that he will accept the pay cut necessary to stay on the team? If not, you are comfortable with Davis and Gilbert as our QBs?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I wouldn't classify them as that. None of those guys were supposed to be coach killers. Not that I read. Having flags isn't the same as being a coach killer. Guys that end up "do not draft" who have 1st round talent... those are coach killers.

I won't belabor the point, but I think Winston is f'n kryptonite....radioactive....poison. That he plays ball is the siren song to the ultimate death for the franchise that ultimately picks him... like Justin Blackmon who I tried to tell anyone who would listen to stay away from.

I don't believe Winston CAN be whatever he wants because he can't stop being a knucklehead. The NFL isn't the NCAA where he gets to live in a college town where the police cover for you and your head coach completely sells out for you like Jimbo Fisher is... watching Jimbo Fisher right now at a press conference is painful. He looks like he's trying to swallow a pill the size of Shaq's shoe.

I know you just think this kid is all that and a truckload of chips, but I really hope you find out what a disaster he'll be when he implodes on another team...

Again, Janoris and Dez were both supposed to be disasters like that. Some people mature, some don't. We'll see about Winston. His issues have never been on the field or in the locker-room. They've been off the field. And personally, I think they've been way overblown and misrepresented.

The rape accusation is the only thing I'm particularly concerned about and there's not enough out there for me to be able to draw conclusions from it.

As far as Blackmon goes, he's not a bad kid. He just has substance abuse issues. But I wasn't a Blackmon fan either...however, that was due to my belief that Jeffery and Floyd were better talents on the field.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm not saying that Winston can't play. I'm saying that likely he CAN play. I'm ALSO saying that all of his off-field actions taken en toto add up to what I've been saying all along.

My entire point is that it's not possible to extricate the rape accusation from all the other stuff because it's all part of the hot mess that's Winston.

Funny, Roethlisberger had a rape allegation and the Steelers were so upset that they were willing to trade him to the Rams straight up for a 3rd rounder. We drafted Bradford instead.

We've just come to RADICALLY different conclusions based on the available information. I'm NOT willing to give a PERSON the benefit of the doubt because he plays football. I really don't consider whether he's a football player as any part in my deliberations unless there's specific information that factors into that and I don't think there is. Specifically, there has been allegations that the woman knew who Winston was as if he were this household name which is complete bunk, he was a freshman who wasn't known to many other than hardcore football fans. Now, she may or may not have heard of his name before, but the idea that after a few games as a freshman that this young woman would equate this freshman with millions of dollars and all of that "golddigging" stuff is just ludicrous. It's slut-shaming at its worst and dishonorable.

I don't think Jameis Winston would be getting that benefit without his exceptional football skills. Just like the kids in Steubenville... and umpteen other cases.

If ANYTHING happens with the FSU board that kicks him off that team (which would take an Act of God because nothing short of an admission of guilt or video evidence would convince the Board of Trustees to kick a Heisman winner off the field), just watch how fast he goes into hiding because he can't help himself.

Ya know... Ryan Leaf won games, too. Yeah, I said it. Ryan Leaf. Won games at WSU. Big games. Also a massive knucklehead whom the coaches couldn't wait to go, but they talked him up something fierce until he was gone...

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
I would like to see Bazooka Joe extended first and foremost. The best LB in the draft with our first pick, FS/OG or vice versa with the second and third pick.

We need a beast LBer bad. Solidify the offensive line and the free safety position. With a solid OL and good running game if the Rams do need to go QB in 2016 then that QB is set up to succeed with the OL, RB's and WR's we have. That was the biggest downfall with selecting Bradford. No supporting cast. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft so if you have to draft a QB make him the final piece.

Of course draft needs will change if they can snag a damn good LB, OG or FS in FA.

moklerman

Warner-phile
So are sure Bradford will be ready to play? Or that he will accept the pay cut necessary to stay on the team? If not, you are comfortable with Davis and Gilbert as our QBs?
No, I'm not "sure" that he'll be ready but I'm pretty confident. He'll have a lot longer to rehab this time so it seems pretty reasonable that he'll be further along than this last time. As far as a pay cut, it isn't actually necessary for the Rams to keep him. Preferable to be sure, but not necessary. Obviously, the team will want to re-work things for more protection but if it comes right down to it, they won't have to re-structure him to keep him.

Davis, Bradford and Gilbert in 2015 is fine with me. This team can win with either Davis or Bradford and the only problem I see is that Davis will likely be the guy by then and that a controversy might ensue if he isn't made the incumbent.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
No, I'm not "sure" that he'll be ready but I'm pretty confident. He'll have a lot longer to rehab this time so it seems pretty reasonable that he'll be further along than this last time. As far as a pay cut, it isn't actually necessary for the Rams to keep him. Preferable to be sure, but not necessary. Obviously, the team will want to re-work things for more protection but if it comes right down to it, they won't have to re-structure him to keep him.

Davis, Bradford and Gilbert in 2015 is fine with me. This team can win with either Davis or Bradford and the only problem I see is that Davis will likely be the guy by then and that a controversy might ensue if he isn't made the incumbent.

I like Davis but I dont think there is anyway that he can beat out Bradford in camp if Bradford is healthy. Bradfords talent is way above Davis's, his only problem is the knee and staying on the field right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying that Winston can't play. I'm saying that likely he CAN play. I'm ALSO saying that all of his off-field actions taken en toto add up to what I've been saying all along.

My entire point is that it's not possible to extricate the rape accusation from all the other stuff because it's all part of the hot mess that's Winston.

Funny, Roethlisberger had a rape allegation and the Steelers were so upset that they were willing to trade him to the Rams straight up for a 3rd rounder. We drafted Bradford instead.

We've just come to RADICALLY different conclusions based on the available information. I'm NOT willing to give a PERSON the benefit of the doubt because he plays football. I really don't consider whether he's a football player as any part in my deliberations unless there's specific information that factors into that and I don't think there is. Specifically, there has been allegations that the woman knew who Winston was as if he were this household name which is complete bunk, he was a freshman who wasn't known to many other than hardcore football fans. Now, she may or may not have heard of his name before, but the idea that after a few games as a freshman that this young woman would equate this freshman with millions of dollars and all of that "golddigging" stuff is just ludicrous. It's slut-shaming at its worst and dishonorable.

I don't think Jameis Winston would be getting that benefit without his exceptional football skills. Just like the kids in Steubenville... and umpteen other cases.

If ANYTHING happens with the FSU board that kicks him off that team (which would take an Act of God because nothing short of an admission of guilt or video evidence would convince the Board of Trustees to kick a Heisman winner off the field), just watch how fast he goes into hiding because he can't help himself.

No offense but you have jumped to conclusions. I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. I'm sitting right here in the middle and saying, "I don't know". You heard one side of the story, gave it ultimate credibility, and have decided Winston is guilty.

That's fine. You can make that decision. But I'm not. However, I will present you with a few things that might want to give you pause:
http://www.tomahawknation.com/2013/12/5/5177808/jameis-winston-police-report-charges-announcement
The unredacted police report contains at least four different versions of events given to investigators. Two were given by the complainant herself. Two are told by the complainant's friends to the police, as they claim were told to them by the complainant. The complainant's memory of the night in question is incomplete, for a reason that is not clear.
The complainant maintains in both stories that she had five "vodka drinks." In one version, the complainant mentions taking shots, but that she was told about taking the shots, and does not remember taking them. However, the detective interviewing the complainant noted in the report that the complainant "appeared to be very tired, but not intoxicated." The complainant's family later claimed that the detective told the family that the complainant's blood work results showed that she was not intoxicated, a laboratory finding consistent with the detective's observation.
There are other factors pointing to charges not being brought, as well. Winston's attorney has indicated that he has two exculpatory eye-witnesses who gave affidavits to police. Tomahawk Nation has learned that neither witness's DNA was matched to the second DNA sample obtained from the complainant.

So just to summarize, her story has changed multiple times. Her own friends contradict her story. The girl claimed she had blacked out due to drugs or alcohol in the New York Times piece and yet the toxicology report found that she was negative for drugs and was not drunk at the time. Finally, there was semen from two different males in her underwear but only one matched Winston and the DNA did not match either of his witnesses/roommates...Ronald Darby and Chris Casher...both of whom support his story of consensual sex.

And yet I'm supposed to come to the conclusion that he's guilty of rape? Nope. I am going to stay right in the middle and say that I don't know.

Ya know... Ryan Leaf won games, too. Yeah, I said it. Ryan Leaf. Won games at WSU. Big games. Also a massive knucklehead whom the coaches couldn't wait to go, but they talked him up something fierce until he was gone...

Yep, he did. And did you know he was in the same draft class with a guy that sexually assaulted a female athletic trainer while in college? That QB's name? Peyton Manning.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
We're not getting anywhere. Problem is that he's playing each week and you're openly advocating for him and I think he's a serial rapist who if he comes to the Rams will see me leave as a fan.

He's everything about modern sports I despise. He's the guy who stands on a table and thinks it's acceptable and not at all misogynistic to shout freak her in the pussy. See, I don't want THAT guy on my team. I don't want to root for the person who finds that behavior acceptable. Even if you add up all the garbage BESIDES the rape allegation, that'd be enough for me. I didn't need the rape allegation to make up my mind about Winston. The rape allegation just ensured that he's persona non grata to me.

My 20yr old daughter just became a Ram fan and attended the game with me in Tampa. She had started watching games with me when she can.

She would NEVER root for that guy and neither will I.

For the sake of the board, I'll just try not to post any further about Winston. But I disagree that you aren't heavily advocating for him. You are. Hard. And this defense is troublesome because so much is wrong in this investigation that does just enough to leave the waters muddy forever. Well, a crap investigation don't make him innocent. And I'll save us all a lot of time and just say that dissecting the completely crap police report would only confuse things and still wouldn't change anyone's mind.

Hopefully, Austin Davis continues to improve and Bradford comes back and we don't have to worry about a QB in the first, but we spend our first rounder on an OL or stud CB.

Alan

Legend
moklerman with his theory of relativity:
That's a pretty big consideration wouldn't you say? And it isn't just that he's a first time starter, it's the fact that he came from so far down the depth chart. Regardless of the statistics, I think it's clear that with Davis, this team actually has an offense and a chance to win every week. That's a big improvement over the last decade or so.

Anytime your praise involves caveats it makes an actual objective analysis of his performance impossible and meaningless IMO. When I can say "Wow, he had a great game" without needing to add something else to the end of the statement I'll be a happy camper. If he does it on a regular basis.

Way too early to make a statement like that. At least for me it is.

12-4 baby!!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're not getting anywhere. Problem is that he's playing each week and you're openly advocating for him and I think he's a serial rapist who if he comes to the Rams will see me leave as a fan.

He's everything about modern sports I despise. He's the guy who stands on a table and thinks it's acceptable and not at all misogynistic to shout freak her in the pussy. See, I don't want THAT guy on my team. I don't want to root for the person who finds that behavior acceptable. Even if you add up all the garbage BESIDES the rape allegation, that'd be enough for me. I didn't need the rape allegation to make up my mind about Winston. The rape allegation just ensured that he's persona non grata to me.

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. More misrepresentation from the media based on dishonest reporting. Winston never stood on a table. He was leaving the Student Union on the stairs with some buddies when it was shouted. Is that better? I guess it depends on how much the table really mattered to you.

Personally, I think that whole media shitstorm was a mountain out of a molehill. He was quoting an internet meme:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poAd4XD1yRM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7esdW6aeZs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdIT74L8hGI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN2vMceH_i8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-j5Bo5VPd0

As far as the serial rapist charge is concerned, as I said before, you've clearly made your mind up on the guy without considering half of the evidence and the story.

My 20yr old daughter just became a Ram fan and attended the game with me in Tampa. She had started watching games with me when she can.

She would NEVER root for that guy and neither will I.

For the sake of the board, I'll just try not to post any further about Winston. But I disagree that you aren't heavily advocating for him. You are. Hard. And this defense is troublesome because so much is wrong in this investigation that does just enough to leave the waters muddy forever. Well, a crap investigation don't make him innocent. And I'll save us all a lot of time and just say that dissecting the completely crap police report would only confuse things and still wouldn't change anyone's mind.

Hopefully, Austin Davis continues to improve and Bradford comes back and we don't have to worry about a QB in the first, but we spend our first rounder on an OL or stud CB.

A crap investigation doesn't make him guilty either. I'm advocating for the player on the field hard. I am not making conclusory judgements on his guilt or innocence as to the rape accusation. And I think the police report is a pretty key piece of evidence in considering both sides of the story. More than enough evidence exists on both sides for it to be very questionable what happened that night.

AZRamsFan93

I like Davis but I dont think there is anyway that he can beat out Bradford in camp if Bradford is healthy. Bradfords talent is way above Davis's, his only problem is the knee and staying on the field right now.
His ONLY problem(his knee) is about as big of a problem that I can think of for an NFL player, especially a QB.

AZRamsFan93

Given that this is the second injury on the same knee there is no way I pay him over 16M next year. If the Rams choose to do it and he gets hurt again they should all be fired. Think of the free agent linebacker we can sign with some of that cap room.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Anytime your praise involves caveats it makes an actual objective analysis of his performance impossible and meaningless IMO. When I can say "Wow, he had a great game" without needing to add something else to the end of the statement I'll be a happy camper. If he does it on a regular basis.

Way too early to make a statement like that. At least for me it is.

12-4 baby!!!!!!
It wasn't a caveat though, it was just in addition to. I wasn't saying that Davis was playing good for a first time starter, I was saying that he was playing good and that fact has to be magnified BECAUSE he's a first time starter.

Not sure what you're looking for in terms of performance and/or consistency but Davis has put up good numbers since he's been the starter and they stand on their own, not conditionally because of his inexperience.