Marcus Mariota?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I second the motion.
I hope Davis gets better each game and Bradford makes a good comeback so the Rams do not have to draft a QB and we can concentrate on other position the Rams need.
I'm not firing Schotty cause I think he's doing a bad job. Far from it.

It's a scheme thing. What ever Qb that the Rams take to be the long term starter, the scheme would have to adapt to his talent set to have the most success.
Maybe Schotty has the ability to design plays for a non traditional qb. If not then another coordinator might be a better fit.
I have no problem taking MM, but if they try to make him a pocket passer day one I think the kid will bust.
I don't really like any of these QB's enough to take top ten. Better players on the board. But I think they will fall in love with one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually think Schotty is going to have some HC interviews this year. This offense looks pretty good given the loss of their QB. He will get a lot of credit, as he should. Him being hired away may end up being a good thing for us long-term, too, provided Fish makes a good hire to replace him.

As to MM... He is going to need time to absorb this offense so I'm not necessarily a fan of taking him top 5 when there are other guys who fit this team at the position and won't come with the hoopla.

Petty is similar in that he's athletic with elite arm ability in a system that doesn't really prepare him well for the NFL. But his decision making is very good, and I actually like him more than MM. He could end up being the top QB taken when all is said and done though, so there's too much time to go still to rack and stack these guys.

I like Mannion very much, too. Riley runs a system that will have him prepared to absorb an NFL playbook so I see that as a positive. He's still a little raw but has elite arm talent and great size to spread the ball around from the pocket. Lots of experience at the collegiate level without elite talent around him too. So IMO he will be undervalued and fly under the radar a bit due to his lack of mobility but represents a very nice fit for the Rams' offense and talent.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
If schotty is the O Coordinator next year, does anyone actually think that he couldn't adapt a scheme to help a rookie QB, especially one from a system like Oregon's? If it happened, the Offense would transition to help the QB out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually think Schotty is going to have some HC interviews this year. This offense looks pretty good given the loss of their QB. He will get a lot of credit, as he should. Him being hired away may end up being a good thing for us long-term, too, provided Fish makes a good hire to replace him.

As to MM... He is going to need time to absorb this offense so I'm not necessarily a fan of taking him top 5 when there are other guys who fit this team at the position and won't come with the hoopla.

Petty is similar in that he's athletic with elite arm ability in a system that doesn't really prepare him well for the NFL. But his decision making is very good, and I actually like him more than MM. He could end up being the top QB taken when all is said and done though, so there's too much time to go still to rack and stack these guys.

I like Mannion very much, too. Riley runs a system that will have him prepared to absorb an NFL playbook so I see that as a positive. He's still a little raw but has elite arm talent and great size to spread the ball around from the pocket. Lots of experience at the collegiate level without elite talent around him too. So IMO he will be undervalued and fly under the radar a bit due to his lack of mobility but represents a very nice fit for the Rams' offense and talent.

Petty and Mannion have been straight up offensive this year at times. Mannion is trending towards struggling to be drafted. Petty is descending due to how poor he looks since his back injury. He'll be lucky right now if he's a 2nd round pick. He's trending towards that 3rd to 4th round range.

I want nothing to do with Sean Mannion. Guy is not a good QB.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are some big boy throws:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11725546

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11725472

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11725737

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11725751

I'll tell you, this(2nd half of ND) was the first time I really felt that I saw 2013 Locked In Jameis Winston this year. If that guy continues to show up, he's undoubtedly worth a #1 pick. His throw motion needs some tweaking(well, the way he begins his wind-up is what needs tweaking...I actually love his release point

So, if Winston didn't have all his OFF-THE-FIELD issues would you take him over Mariota? And, do you think that most of Winston's issues are more of immaturity or do you think he has deeper problems?

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
LOLing at the very notion of Winston AND DGB!

We are dealing with 2 absolute knuckleheads that can't get out of their own way. These clowns will end up being coach killers when they are hauled off in pinstripes, and now we want BOTH of them?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, if Winston didn't have all his OFF-THE-FIELD issues would you take him over Mariota? And, do you think that most of Winston's issues are more of immaturity or do you think he has deeper problems?

I'd take Winston right now over Mariota without thinking twice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOLing at the very notion of Winston AND DGB!

We are dealing with 2 absolute knuckleheads that can't get out of their own way. These clowns will end up being coach killers when they are hauled off in pinstripes, and now we want BOTH of them?

Sure. Why not? Weren't Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Dez Bryant, etc. supposed to be coach killers?

Lesser teams sometimes have to take bigger risks. Winston and DGB can be whatever they want to be in the NFL.

Ramathon

I would rather they take Jameis Winston. I also want to mention because I know there are a lot of Amari Cooper fans on this board(I am a huge one too)...Kevin White has passed him as my #1 ranked WR in this draft class. Right now, my top 3 are:
1. Kevin White WR West Virginia
2. Amari Cooper WR Alabama
3. Dorial Green-Beckham WR Missouri

Think all three have the ability to be top 10 WRs in the NFL. If DGB weren't a mess off the field and could play this year, he'd probably be the best WR since Calvin. If he falls to the 2nd, I'd pair him and Jameis up. Would be amazing. :D
I'm picking nits here, but DGB isn't w/ Mizzou any longer, is he? I thought he was w/ Oklahoma.(??)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm picking nits here, but DGB isn't w/ Mizzou any longer, is he? I thought he was w/ Oklahoma.(??)

He's not playing for OU. If he enters the draft, he would have only played for Missouri. But yes, he's on Oklahoma right now...just ineligible due to transferring.

Alan

Legend
moklerman liking our assets:
With Davis and Bradford, the Rams won't have to burn a first round pick on a QB, much less a head case.
Keep in mind that our offense hasn't looked all that good. Still, it's trending towards me agreeing with you.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Keep in mind that our offense hasn't looked all that good. Still, it's trending towards me agreeing with you.
The offense has looked very good at times. The team just has trouble finishing. But with Davis in the first starts of his career, they've put up 31, 28, 17 & 28 against some pretty good defenses. The defense and o-line need work, not the QB. That's why I think it'd be a waste to take one with a first round pick next year. But I just don't like Winston and think he's overrated not to mention a creep.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The offense has looked very good at times. The team just has trouble finishing. But with Davis in the first starts of his career, they've put up 31, 28, 17 & 28 against some pretty good defenses. The defense and o-line need work, not the QB. That's why I think it'd be a waste to take one with a first round pick next year. But I just don't like Winston and think he's overrated not to mention a creep.

If Davis & the Rams Offense & Special Teams keep playing like they have the past few weeks they might not want to take a QB (Mariota, Winston, etc) with their 1st Round Pick and more importantly they may not even have an opportunity to draft Mariota or Winston since they won't be drafting high enough (Which, is quite ok with me!)!
If the Rams can just get their Defense to come around I do think they will be winning more games this season.

Alan

Legend
moklerman thinking this is good:
The offense has looked very good at times. The team just has trouble finishing. But with Davis in the first starts of his career, they've put up 31, 28, 17 & 28 against some pretty good defenses.
In 5 1/2 games with Davis at the helm the Rams offense has scored 97 points which is an average of 17.6 PPG. 28 of those points came against the Shegals Prevent D. His performance can only be considered good because of his "rookie" status.

Like I said though, it's trending in a positive direction.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I don't agree with Alan. Davis has been a ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day. From my seat in section 433, he looked better than Wilson. If that team ever has to rely on his arm, their season is over!

There is no reason to draft a QB next season. There is really no need to draft one that will serve time.