Manziel questions fairness of Browns looking elsewhere for a quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

Manziel questions fairness of Browns looking elsewhere for a quarterback

Posted by Mike Florio on December 24, 2014, 12:13 AM EST
manziel9.jpg
Getty Images
The Browns reportedly will explore all options at quarterback for 2015. Which could mean that 2014 rookie first-rounder Johnny Manziel will be supplanted.

Which would mean that Manziel won’t be happy.

“I don’t think it would be fair to give up on somebody after seven quarters of football,” Manziel told reporters on Tuesday. “If that’s what they were in the business for and what they intended on me coming in here doing — just giving him seven quarters, giving him a couple of games and then looking somewhere else — I don’t think that’s a lot of commitment and sticking with somebody. This league is a process and it takes a lot of time. Nobody comes in this league right away, and I mean nobody comes in this league right away and just absolutely kills it. That’s just not the way it works. You can show signs. You can show flashes, but at the same time, you need reps. You need years of it. You need time, and I think that’s what happens with a young quarterback. I’m not going into this offseason, into this draft, having any concerns about that or any worries about that. If you want to . . . it’s just something that I’m definitely not thinking about.”

Does he have concerns that what he did (or failed to do) with that seven quarters has created doubts about him?

“No, because I know when I’m in this building I’ve been doing the right things,” Manziel said. “Like I said, I got one game against Cincinnati. Obviously it was a rough day for us, and then a quarter and a half last week and one and a half drives in Buffalo. If that’s what they think is enough to evaluate a quarterback, then that’s really up to them, but I’m going into this offseason working extremely hard and wanting to be the guy next year. If that’s not the case, then obviously we’ll see down the road, but that’s my mindset going into it and I’m 100-percent sticking with it.”

While Manziel got only seven quarters of game action, he had plenty of opportunities in the offseason, training camp, and preseason to earn more playing time. He failed to do so.

Plus, the fact that he got injured fairly early in his second game as the starter underscores concerns that he can’t stay healthy. Which justifies the exploration of all options at quarterback.

Permalink 85 Comments

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Um, Earth to Johnny? The only thing that the team fairly owes you is your contract until they cut you. Beyond that, you're not in a schoolyard anymore. You're in a professional league, and so far, you can't cut the mustard.

That said, I'd still take Manziel over Winston if a gun was to my head and I was forced to make a choice.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Um, Earth to Johnny? The only thing that the team fairly owes you is your contract until they cut you. Beyond that, you're not in a schoolyard anymore. You're in a professional league, and so far, you can't cut the mustard.

That said, I'd still take Manziel over Winston if a gun was to my head and I was forced to make a choice.

You must make bad choices in high stress situations. How about if we took that gun away and tried again?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Found his replacement. He's just loosening up his arm.

LooseningMyArm.gif

Boffo97

Name
Dave
You must make bad choices in high stress situations. How about if we took that gun away and tried again?
If you take away the gun, I choose neither.

It's just that, AFAIK, Manziel hasn't been accused of rape.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Gimme Winston. Being accused of rape and being a rapier are two different things. Johnny football sucking at football is very apparent though lol

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Gimme Winston. Being accused of rape and being a rapier are two different things. Johnny football sucking at football is very apparent though lol
I think you meant rapist... a rapier is a sword. ;)

That said, I don't want Winston even if that specific charge isn't true and think he's going to suck just as much as Manziel on the pro level... the problem is the same in both cases: Immaturity if not flat out stupidity. Talent can overcome that at the college level, but not in the pros.

Both have records that suck for themselves even outside the rape charge. But I don't want anyone who is even potentially a rapist anywhere near this team. Some things are more important than football. And to pre-empt anyone from going there, no, I'm not going to buy that anyone could potentially be a rapist even if there are no charges of such.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you meant rapist... a rapier is a sword. ;)

That said, I don't want Winston even if that specific charge isn't true and think he's going to suck just as much as Manziel on the pro level... the problem is the same in both cases: Immaturity if not flat out stupidity. Talent can overcome that at the college level, but not in the pros.

Both have records that suck for themselves even outside the rape charge. But I don't want anyone who is even potentially a rapist anywhere near this team. Some things are more important than football. And to pre-empt anyone from going there, no, I'm not going to buy that anyone could potentially be a rapist even if there are no charges of such.
I like Jameis Winston's game though. That's the difference for me. I thought that Manziel wasn't talented and he was a brat. All things aside with Winston, he takes his craft very seriously. Bradford over them both for me

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I like Jameis Winston's game though. That's the difference for me. I thought that Manziel wasn't talented and he was a brat. All things aside with Winston, he takes his craft very seriously. Bradford over them both for me
I like his game too. If he had the mental tools to go with his physical tools, he'd be a surefire #1.

As is though, I don't want him near the team for moral reasons and think he'll end up a huge bust as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I like his game too. If he had the mental tools to go with his physical tools, he'd be a surefire #1.

As is though, I don't want him near the team for moral reasons and think he'll end up a huge bust as well.

I agree, I've never seen guys with this kind of shit on their periphery ever become viable in the NFL.

someone..........cue jrry

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Of course he does. He's a privileged rich kid who's never been told no. He was crying about a parking ticket he got at A&M (which I'm sure was well-deserved), saying he was being singled out. Dude is a bitch. His mom is hot, though.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Not to mention he doesn't even have a gun for an arm. When you miss reads, try to run, then float one to a receiver, that's just a collosal f--- up. He's barely got the goods physically, not even close mentally. He's slightly better than Austin Davis. And that might be reaching for a positive.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Bad NFL player. Bad attitude. Bad locker-room presence (so it sounds).

The trifecta of terrible.

Athos

Legend
Wilson has a superior arm and Wilson doesn't possess a great arm.

Johnny Foosball sucks. I'd say he owes the Shit-Bags for begging them to draft him, but....The Browns were just plain stupid to draft him.

They had Bridgewater there for the taking and wet the beg. They'd be in the playoffs if they'd have drafted Teddy.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I have always been a big fan of Johnny. But he really hasn't gotten much of a chance in Cleveland, it doesn't make sense to burn a first round pick on the guy and give up on him with such a small sample size. He hasn't handled the situation very well at all, but neither have the Browns.