Mannion to be Active?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
If Goff is concussed and inactive, I would be interested in seeing Mannion over Keenum in the context of a failed season with a fired coach.

I like the idea of the continued development of our young players.
Can Mannion be our back up going forward? Can he run the offense and win a game when needed against regular season competition?
Or do we have to take a developmental QB in mid-rounds and let him go?

The Rams may have the opportunity to further evaluate a player believed to be developing under this staff's watch.
The only way Keenum should be playing is if Goff, Mannion or even Hekker cannot play QB. Ha!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guy is whoever is under center for the Rams.
As for Mannion, to be honest, I think if he did play this season it would almost be unfair to him. He's had limited, if any snaps this season. 1 week of increased snaps wont make up for it.
So if Goff cant go, which I don't understand how its been 5 days and we still don't even know if he sustained a concussion, it might be "fun' to see Mannion, but I don't think from a timing perspective or a familiar with the players perspective, that he is in any type of situation that will allow him to play well
We will see, but keep in mind that Mannion will be unfamiliar with the system just the same so he doesn't have any leg up on the "camp competition"
Heck, we could see the Rams draft a Russell Wilson or a Dak Prescott in the later rounds that the new HC likes, and he could outplay everyone.... Lol
picgifs-mind-blown-1995183.gif

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guy is whoever is under center for the Rams.
As for Mannion, to be honest, I think if he did play this season it would almost be unfair to him. He's had limited, if any snaps this season. 1 week of increased snaps wont make up for it.
So if Goff cant go, which I don't understand how its been 5 days and we still don't even know if he sustained a concussion, it might be "fun' to see Mannion, but I don't think from a timing perspective or a familiar with the players perspective, that he is in any type of situation that will allow him to play well
I completely agree I believe for the future of this team I want Goff to get as much experience as necessary. When I saw the hit I said immediately Concussion and I was mad as hell when it looked like he was about to take another snap I didn't know what took so long for the medical examiner to stop the game, so I think we will know by Thursday who will start and who will be backup

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's exactly it, who's seen Mannion outside of Rams fans? There's a Mannion on most teams, and pretty much that team's fans knows who they are. For example, if Kyle Shanahan comes to LA, who's to say he doesn't bring a QB with him that knows his system? Matt Simms killed it in pre-season for Atlanta last year, and only earned a PS spot
Fair point. I suppose we'll see. But it seemed to me you were more talking about veteran back-ups. I don't think Simms is either a step up or someone any coach is really comfortable with or feels he has a grasp of their system. I realize it was just a "for example" reference though and your point is that there are likely others.

We have Mannion under contract and he was a pretty good (border line very good) college QB. I'll freely admit that I haven't watched a bunch of 2nd tier QBs. But I have watched a lot of Mannion. Maybe more than practically anyone here - maybe. I think there is a very good chance that another coach sees some good things to work with.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair point. I suppose we'll see. But it seemed to me you were more talking about veteran back-ups. I don't think Simms is either a step up or someone any coach is really comfortable with or feels he has a grasp of their system. I realize it was just a "for example" reference though and your point is that there are likely others.

We have Mannion under contract and he was a pretty good (border line very good) college QB. I'll freely admit that I haven't watched a bunch of 2nd tier QBs. But I have watched a lot of Mannion. Maybe more than practically anyone here - maybe. I think there is a very good chance that another coach sees some good things to work with.
New HC usually means New QB.
Some guys are lucky to inherit a Rodgers or Roethlisberger but for the most part you see coaches bring in a QB who "fits" what they want to do. I find it pretty unlikely some coach will be enthralled with both Goff AND Mannion. Not impossible but reality is at best Mannion has 1 year left with the team. And as excited as Goff fans are to be getting a new HC, he may not be the answer either, its actually quite possible he is not (historically speaking)
Either way, while I would prefer Mannion to play if Goff cant go, I don't believe it shows much of anything if he plays well. But unfortunately for him, it could be disastrous for him to play poorly

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There absolutely needs to be an open competition between these two (and any other QB the new coach brings in). A good coach is not going to roll with someone just because he was the first pick in the draft. The Seachickens gave Matt Flynn a decent size contract in the offseason just few years ago and drafted Wilson. Wilson outplayed him and became the starter. It would be moronic to just go with Goff just because he was picked first, especially when it was done by a previous regime.

Nah.

When Wilson came into camp he was the best QB on the team from a talent perspective on day one. When the staff watched them one after the other the talent difference was profound. Wilson also was well prepared for the offense, and it allowed him to showcase that ability right out the gate in their scheme.

I watched all 3 QBs in camp over a few practices this year. Goff stood out like a sore thumb. This is why I posted here and elsewhere that I didn't believe the "dropoff" to the rookie would be all that much, simply because while Case knew the offense cold, they had to consider that talent differential. In other words my take was why not simplify things and build it around what he does well, behind a heavy run game.

But back to Mannion, the dude has a great arm but he lacks the feet and pocket awareness that Goff is already showing. Opening up a "QB competition" would be great buzz for the press, but if the Rams hire a top offensive mind there won't be a competition in truth, it will be that staff setting their most talented QB up for success by spending that time PREPARING HIM instead of creating a circus that takes snaps from him.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
They gotta play Mannion if Goff cant go. We need to see if hes a capable backup OR he shows really well and becomes a trade chip in the near future to help rebuild this team. I dont see Keenum back next year either way.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This is not a debate. They had the guy for a year. If he was anything special, he would have played over Nick Foles. Not to mention they wouldn't have traded what they traded to get Jared Goff if Sean Mannion is that guy. They see him in practice every day.

I assume you think Brett Hundley is a world beater because of his preseason highlights and play...

Rarely will I state things this bluntly, but you're flat wrong.

Mannion got no development time because Fisher dithered over whether to keep Austin Davis or Keenum as the backup to Foles and as such there just wasn't any reps for a fourth QB.

So saying that Mannion would have played over Foles if he were any good is beyond ignorant both of circumstance and of Fisher's history of not developing QBs, something that's been a hot topic around here for a while now.

Feel free to have a opinion about Mannion, but deviating outside known reality will be stated as such.

All we have from them really is unrealized potential. Now we can endlessly debate ceilings and floors and factors which can synergize a person's actualization of their potential...and that's books worth of information... But we don't KNOW.

Personally, I like that in the face of significant organizational neglect, Mannion worked his butt off in the offseason to get better and it showed in the preseason games.

I think Fisher was predisposed to Keenum so much so that he would have traded away Mannion. Said it many times. Now that Fisher is gone, I think the org wants to see what they have in Mannion. And if Goff is still in the concussion protocol, it's a moot point. Plus, Keenum looked awful his last stint. Mannion is gonna look worse than Keenum???

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mannion has been dealt a raw deal. he's been passed over and not given a chance to play. rams should have given him snaps in some of those blow out games. (I know, he was "inactive") rams need to see what he has, if only to determine if he could be trade bait.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/20/interim-coach-thinks-goff-will-play-saturday/

Interim coach thinks Goff will play Saturday
Posted by Zac Jackson on December 20, 2016

624688586-e1480008249390.jpg
Getty Images

Rams Interim Coach John Fassel told reporters Tuesday that he expects rookie quarterback Jared Goff to play Saturday vs. the 49ers.

Goff suffered a concussion late in last Thursday’s loss at Seattle. Monday, Fassel said Goff had not been fully cleared but had participated in a walkthrough.

Goff was a full participant in Tuesday’s practice.

Fassel said he’s leaning towards making second-year quarterback Sean Mannion the No. 2 quarterback on Saturday. Case Keenum, who opened the year as a starter, is a free agent after the season and the Rams would like to see Mannion possibly get some snaps if Goff can’t play or if another circumstance forces him out of the game.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Mannion was getting the ball out on time and knew where to go with it in the preseason opener against Dallas. His TD to Spruce was a savy play that I haven't seen made by and Ram QB in a while in any game PS or regular season. I think he has a good feel for play designs and timing. His ball placement isn't impressive, but he usually made the balls catchable. He's also never had the 1s around him to work with. I'd like the see him command the offense with Britt, Tavon and Gurley and see what shakes out. He's a coaches kid so he should be able to put people in the proper positions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 Goff (concussion) was a full participant at Tuesday's practice, after which interim head coach John Fassel said that "we anticipate having him" Saturday against the 49ers, Alden Gonzalez of ESPN.com reports.

Thank you, sir. That's very good news. We need to use this game to get Goff his first win and build some confidence.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You can't project with concussion. The recovery isn't linear like a broken bone healing.

There have been guys who've basically been stuck at that last hurdle for weeks.

This is a meaningless game and if Goff is truly our future, then protecting his brain is a far more important priority than beating a divisional foe also suffering a terrible season.

Moreover, if it means truly learning what we have in Mannion, then that's a good thing. If he sets the league on fire, maybe he draws significant trade offers. If he plays middling, but executes well, maybe he solidifies his position as the Rams backup which means one less thing to worry about going forward. If he tanks, we'll know we need to address the backup QB position.

Seems giving Goff the day off would be better for Goff and the org for a number of reasons.

Scirca

Rookie
I take back what I said about Sean Mannions arm strength. He actually maxes out at 59 yards not 54 yards. He has a good arm.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I take back what I said about Sean Mannions arm strength. He actually maxes out at 59 yards not 54 yards. He has a good arm.
You must have actually went and watch that qb competition he was in, his arm strength and accuracy was never the issue it was his slow release and footwork which both has dramatically improved even without him getting the reps needed