Mannion to be Active?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's just silly
If Mannion was any good, they wouldn't have brought back Case Keenum
Its all about snaps and reps, no rookie is ready out of the gate and they cant get ready without the snaps and reps.
This idea that Mannion was any kind of a threat is laughable
He will be fortunate to make the team next year
What's so laughable in thinking that your 3rd round draft pick qb is going to be the back up to your starter and he was the back up until the fans and media started pressuring about why Goff wasn't starting. It's also safe to assume that Goff was only drafted by the RAMS because of the move to LA if the Rams was still in stlouis then Goff would be on a different team. It's has nothing to do with Mannion being a threat to Goff but if you don't think a new coach will look at both of them in a even light then that's laughable, because if I'm a new coach neither one of them are guys I brought in so I don't have to stay with Goff if he isn't better. You sound like it's blasphemous to talk about someone being better then Goff and him losing his position. Take a look around it happens every day in the nfl

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Except Cousins performed, in actual games. IIRC he was the QB in the game that clinched a playoff spot for the Skins in 2012.
And Washington didn't see the need to have a veteran back up for RGIII, because of what Cousins showed them. The Rams still needed to bring back Keenum
IMO Washington didn't bring a vet to back up RG3 because RG3 had proved himself a top-tier starter. Cousins was in an actual "backup QB" position, not a "placeholder QB until our top pick proves himself" position.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except Cousins performed, in actual games. IIRC he was the QB in the game that clinched a playoff spot for the Skins in 2012.
And Washington didn't see the need to have a veteran back up for RGIII, because of what Cousins showed them. The Rams still needed to bring back Keenum
Of course because then Mannion was a rookie right and Goff haven't performed in a game either. You can cherry pick your debate points all you want but we don't know if Mannion is better because he wasn't given a chance to prove he was better. When he outperformed Goff in the preseason Fisher benched in the next game talking about we wanted Goff to get more reps. You can ignore the fact that This year he was never given a chance to even be the back up but now all of a sudden it changes when they fire Fisher.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Goff can't play, sure start Mannion. If Goff does play Mannion should be the backup...Dressed. People should know what I think about Keenum.
I need to clear this up for those of you guys who think Sean Mannion is something special because of his preseason games (I know there are some of you who think Mannion is an undiscovered gem.) I'm going to be very blunt with you.

Who is Mannion to be even mentioned in the same breath with Jared Goff..................................I assume you think Brett Hundley is a world beater because of his preseason highlights and play...
Funny you should say this...because I believe there is no way that Mannion should be on this team over a guy like Hundley who CAN throw the ball...And I do agree, Mannion is nothing special, but Cigs & Boras didn't help him out by not getting him any reps in 2015.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's so laughable in thinking that your 3rd round draft pick qb is going to be the back up to your starter and he was the back up until the fans and media started pressuring about why Goff wasn't starting.
Umm, no that's your opinion. Fisher (who botched the whole QB sitch) thought Goff wasn't ready, but said he was ready by week 2. The part you are missing is who gets snaps and reps in practice. Goff needed the snaps and reps to get acclimated to the NFL. Wouldn't get that as 3rd string. It had nothing to do with Mannion, in fact it was all about Fisher's man crush on Keenum.
It's also safe to assume that Goff was only drafted by the RAMS because of the move to LA if the Rams was still in stlouis then Goff would be on a different team.
Um, again, no. There's no "safe" assumption about that, at all. Its not even a legit theory. Rams whiffed on Foles and desperately needed a QB. They thought Goff was the guy and made the move. Whether St Louis or LA, tere is no reason to believe that move wouldn't have been made
It's has nothing to do with Mannion being a threat to Goff but if you don't think a new coach will look at both of them in a even light then that's laughable, because if I'm a new coach neither one of them are guys I brought in so I don't have to stay with Goff if he isn't better. You sound like it's blasphemous to talk about someone being better then Goff and him losing his position. Take a look around it happens every day in the nfl
Right, the new HC is going to want his QB, which is what I said. But unfortunately for Mannion, that QB will likely be the new HC version of Case Keenum, a guy the HC is familiar with or "knows his system", a Chase Daniel type in Philly. That's where Mannion becomes the odd man out

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Right, the new HC is going to want his QB, which is what I said. But unfortunately for Mannion, that QB will likely be the new HC version of Case Keenum, a guy the HC is familiar with or "knows his system", a Chase Daniel type in Philly. That's where Mannion becomes the odd man out
Maybe but in looking at the back-ups around the league, I'm not seeing a lot of guys I'd want to see ahead of Mannion there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course because then Mannion was a rookie right and Goff haven't performed in a game either. You can cherry pick your debate points all you want but we don't know if Mannion is better because he wasn't given a chance to prove he was better. When he outperformed Goff in the preseason Fisher benched in the next game talking about we wanted Goff to get more reps. You can ignore the fact that This year he was never given a chance to even be the back up but now all of a sudden it changes when they fire Fisher.
Cherry pick what? The only reason we knew who Kirk Cousins was, was due to his play in real NFL games. That's what brought his name in to the equation when RGIII struggled.
And Mannion out performed Goff in pre-season? Goff played terrible in pre-season, because he wasn't given the tools to be successful. Plenty of other QB struggled mightily in pre-season, and yet they ended up starting game 1 of the regular season. Winston and Matt Ryan to name a few....
Mannion was pedestrian in pre-season, if his play was impressive at all, he should have been in the running for the starter job

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe but in looking at the back-ups around the league, I'm not seeing a lot of guys I'd want to see ahead of Mannion there.
That's exactly it, who's seen Mannion outside of Rams fans? There's a Mannion on most teams, and pretty much that team's fans knows who they are. For example, if Kyle Shanahan comes to LA, who's to say he doesn't bring a QB with him that knows his system? Matt Simms killed it in pre-season for Atlanta last year, and only earned a PS spot

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
If Goff is concussed and inactive, I would be interested in seeing Mannion over Keenum in the context of a failed season with a fired coach.

I like the idea of the continued development of our young players.
Can Mannion be our back up going forward? Can he run the offense and win a game when needed against regular season competition?
Or do we have to take a developmental QB in mid-rounds and let him go?

The Rams may have the opportunity to further evaluate a player believed to be developing under this staff's watch.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Who might that be, though?
If McDaniels is the HC, are you bringing in Garoppolo on the last year of his contract? Would the Pats even trade him? Or maybe you try to get Brian Hoyer or you sign Ryan Mallett?

If it's Shanahan, does he bring in RG3? Matt Schaub?

Gruden won't have any guys, most likely; everyone from his last team is retired.

David Shaw, does he try to get Kevin Hogan from Cleveland? Or does he grab Ryan Burns in the upcoming draft, maybe as a UDFA?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cherry pick what? The only reason we knew who Kirk Cousins was, was due to his play in real NFL games. That's what brought his name in to the equation when RGIII struggled.
And Mannion out performed Goff in pre-season? Goff played terrible in pre-season, because he wasn't given the tools to be successful. Plenty of other QB struggled mightily in pre-season, and yet they ended up starting game 1 of the regular season. Winston and Matt Ryan to name a few....
Mannion was pedestrian in pre-season, if his play was impressive at all, he should have been in the running for the starter job
You just making my points you saying that Goff wasn't giving the tools to perform well but you completely missing the point about Mannion. This was never a Mannion should start AHEAD of Goff it has always been about Mannion getting a fair chance to compete and if you were entirely objectionable you would agree that he never got the chance even when he was a rookie. Goff has had more snaps and more reps then Mannion has ever had but Mannion still looked better than Goff in live action. I'm not saying Mannion better then Goff but what I have always said is that Mannion and Goff are very similar. Bones sounded excited about promoted him to the active roster. And if he is excited that means Boras Weinke Groh and Snead are as well cause what Bones said was that it is a team decision. That's not saying they want him to start but they want to get a better look at him in practice because up until this point Mannion has never had that chance. Goff is your guy I get that and I hope he is that guy that still doesn't change my opinion on Mannion I think given a chance he could be very good

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McDaniels is the HC, are you bringing in Garoppolo on the last year of his contract? Would the Pats even trade him? Or maybe you try to get Brian Hoyer or you sign Ryan Mallett?

Gruden won't have any guys, most likely; everyone from his last team is retired.

David Shaw, does he try to get Kevin Hogan from Cleveland? Or does he grab Ryan Burns in the upcoming draft, maybe as a UDFA?
Hard to say, maybe McD brings in Cassell. Shanny could bring a bunch of guys, like I said, Matt Simms is a PS legend who thrived in Atlanta last summer. Point is, they will find a guy and bring them in to camp.
Gruden? Good point that he might not have any direct contact with any player being out of the game for so long, but I'm sure with all the guys he's seen he'd have a few he'd bring in. One thing we found out about Gruden in Tampa was that he was quite a collector of QB....

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think a new coach is going to bring anyone in until his second year. The only other guy is going to be a camp arm. The reason why I believe that is because if you think Goff is the guy why bring another guy in to compete especially if you have to trade and give up more draft choices even if it's a low round we need those picks especially as a new coach. I don't think you waste another draft pick on a qb until the coach really figures out what they have on the roster already. With Mannion still having a couple years left on his contract at a very reasonable price he is safe. And we can't take out the possibility that whatever coach we do end up with actually liked Mannion coming out of college

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The truth hurts. I've handled myself well.

You totally handle yourself well :LOL:

image.jpeg

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hard to say, maybe McD brings in Cassell. Shanny could bring a bunch of guys, like I said, Matt Simms is a PS legend who thrived in Atlanta last summer. Point is, they will find a guy and bring them in to camp.
Gruden? Good point that he might not have any direct contact with any player being out of the game for so long, but I'm sure with all the guys he's seen he'd have a few he'd bring in. One thing we found out about Gruden in Tampa was that he was quite a collector of QB....
I'd say a new coach would bring in, as @Dxmissile says, a 'camp arm' - Simms is a good example, well remembered - to compete with Mannion. It'll be interesting to watch. I do think they end up in 2017 with Goff-Mannion as their 1-2 QBs, and if Goff goes down, I think they'd be comfortable starting Mannion for a few games and having a street vet come in to hold the clipboard.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You just making my points you saying that Goff wasn't giving the tools to perform well but you completely missing the point about Mannion. This was never a Mannion should start AHEAD of Goff it has always been about Mannion getting a fair chance to compete and if you were entirely objectionable you would agree that he never got the chance even when he was a rookie. Goff has had more snaps and more reps then Mannion has ever had but Mannion still looked better than Goff in live action. I'm not saying Mannion better then Goff but what I have always said is that Mannion and Goff are very similar. Bones sounded excited about promoted him to the active roster. And if he is excited that means Boras Weinke Groh and Snead are as well cause what Bones said was that it is a team decision. That's not saying they want him to start but they want to get a better look at him in practice because up until this point Mannion has never had that chance. Goff is your guy I get that and I hope he is that guy that still doesn't change my opinion on Mannion I think given a chance he could be very good
My guy is whoever is under center for the Rams.
As for Mannion, to be honest, I think if he did play this season it would almost be unfair to him. He's had limited, if any snaps this season. 1 week of increased snaps wont make up for it.
So if Goff cant go, which I don't understand how its been 5 days and we still don't even know if he sustained a concussion, it might be "fun' to see Mannion, but I don't think from a timing perspective or a familiar with the players perspective, that he is in any type of situation that will allow him to play well