Mannion to be Active?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
If Goff can't go Mannion should. Even if he ends up sucking we already know what we have in Keenum.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This season is in the tank and if Goff is anything less than 100% it doesn't make any sense to send him out there in a meaningless game. I would LOVE to see Mannion play this game against the Niners, but I know Keenum will trot out there if Goff can't go.
If Mannion sticks around with the next coach in the Spring, I hope he's allowed to compete with Goff straight up. If Goff is the guy he will blow Mannion in the weeds. Mannion will be going into year 3, but learning a new playbook the same as Goff. Let them compete and push each other. It will accelerate the learning curve of the offense. New coach might want to bring in a familiar back up to help install the system though. Mannion is in the weird no mans land like Glennon.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Hopefully play Goff in the first half and Mannion in the second. Treat these last two games like pre season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully play Goff in the first half and Mannion in the second. Treat these last two games like pre season.

Why? Goff is the starter. We need to get him as many snaps as possible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Goff doesn't play and we lose to the 49ers AGAIN, I will lose my mind

Rambo

UDFA
Probably active to be backup for Keenum. This has the potential to create a controversy if whoever starts plays well and the Rams win.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/19/if-goff-cant-play-saturday-rams-may-go-with-mannion/

If Goff can’t play Saturday, Rams may go with Mannion
Posted by Zac Jackson on December 19, 2016

598582896-e1482197134184.jpg
Getty Images

Rams rookie quarterback Jared Goff remains in concussion protocol, and Rams interim coach John Fassel told reporters Monday that the team may play Sean Mannion this week if Goff isn’t cleared.

Fassel told reporters that Goff was able to participate in a walkthrough Monday and said he hopes to make a decision by Thursday. He was clear that nothing has been decided yet.

Case Keenum, who started the season before being replaced by Goff, is a free agent at the end of the season. Though there’s much to be settled and decided with the Rams — starting with the next head coach — it’s hard to imagine Keenum returning, so the team giving Mannion some game experience makes sense.

Besides, if a potential Mannion start can’t sell tickets for Saturday’s Rams-49ers game then nothing can.

A third-round pick in 2015, Mannion was 6-of-7 passing for 31 yards in one appearance last season. He was the No. 2 quarterback the last time the Rams played the 49ers, in the season opener when Goff was inactive.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Goff needs the reps if he can go - but Mannion should be the backup and Case can wear street clothes.

Scirca

Rookie
I need to clear this up for those of you guys who think Sean Mannion is something special because of his preseason games (I know there are some of you who think Mannion is an undiscovered gem.) I'm going to be very blunt with you.

Who is Mannion to be even mentioned in the same breath with Jared Goff, and I'm being really honest here. Comes out of college with a 83tds to 54 interceptions ratio (I'ma leave it at that). Has a weaker arm than Jared Goff (can barely throw 54 yards) Watch his 2015 all star football challenge. He is nothing special in general. He went from throwing 37 touchdowns to 15 his senior year. His team went 3-9 to 9-4 to 7-6 to 5-7 his senior year.

I'm sensing that some of you on here are confusing playing well in the preseason to him being able to compete with Jared Goff to start..... Here is another name for some of you who don't know that preseason action has nothing to do with how well you preform in a real game. Colt Brennan from Hawaii. He was AMAZING in the preseason but just couldn't do anything and he was cut everywhere he went.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I need to clear this up for those of you guys who think Sean Mannion is something special because of his preseason games (I know there are some of you who think Mannion is an undiscovered gem.) I'm going to be very blunt with you.

Who is Mannion to be even mentioned in the same breath with Jared Goff, and I'm being really honest here. Comes out of college with a 83tds to 54 interceptions ratio (I'ma leave it at that) Has a weaker arm than Jared Goff (can barely throw 54 yards) Watch his 2015 all star football challenge. He is nothing special in general. He went from throwing 37 touchdowns to 15 his senior year. His team went 3-9 to 9-4 to 7-6 to 5-7 his senior year.

I'm sensing that some of you on here are confusing playing well in the preseason to him being able to compete with Jared Goff to start..... Here is another name for some of you who don't know that preseason action has nothing to do with how well you preform in a real game. Colt Brennan from Hawaii. He was AMAZING in the preseason but just couldn't do anything and he was cut everywhere he went.

Is that you Case???? :p

Rambo

UDFA
The reason for this could be to try to avoid a qb controversy. I think one of the problems Goff may be having is he doesn't have the whole team behind him, especially on offense. I think there are players that were for Keenum to continue starting and that still arent totally for Goff and arent playing all out. I think thats what Gurley meant when he said some players are "just going through the motions". An offensive lineman even sort of admitted that when it was first announced Goff would start. If Keenum starts and plays well and wins the game that will just set Goff back again with the team. Unfortunately that means Keenum will have to be traded, he cant be the backup, and anyone that hasnt been totally behind Goff probably should be traded too.

FRO

Legend

Who is Mannion to be even mentioned in the same breath with Jared Goff, and I'm being really honest here. Comes out of college with a 83tds to 54 interceptions ratio (I'ma leave it at that) Has a weaker arm than Jared Goff (can barely throw 54 yards) Watch his 2015 all star football challenge. He is nothing special in general. He went from throwing 37 touchdowns to 15 his senior year. His team went 3-9 to 9-4 to 7-6 to 5-7 his senior year.

I don't think anybody is clamoring for Mannion over Goff. I think most everybody would rather give Mannion a shot over letting Keenum start again. I also hate pinning a W/L record on one player. Goff's Cal teams weren't world beaters either, but it takes more than one guy to win a game.

Scirca

Rookie
I don't think anybody is clamoring for Mannion over Goff. I think most everybody would rather give Mannion a shot over letting Keenum start again. I also hate pinning a W/L record on one player. Goff's Cal teams weren't world beaters either, but it takes more than one guy to win a game.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people wanting to start Mannion over Goff.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
...along the same lines, Mannion's Oregon State beavers were not world beaters either - and his senior year, was less of a team that the previous years. In particular, Brandon Cooks was not there for Sean's last year.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Goff should play if he's cleared. Mannion if he's not. Keenum is a free agent and likely gone after the season so there is no reason to start him anymore unless the team decides to re-sign him as our back up.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Who is Mannion to be even mentioned in the same breath with Jared Goff, and I'm being really honest here. Comes out of college with a 83tds to 54 interceptions ratio (I'ma leave it at that). Has a weaker arm than Jared Goff (can barely throw 54 yards) Watch his 2015 all star football challenge. He is nothing special in general. He went from throwing 37 touchdowns to 15 his senior year. His team went 3-9 to 9-4 to 7-6 to 5-7 his senior year.

Really glad you brought that wisdom for us.

I will let you check this out in reference to your question

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/11/0...annion-becomes-pac-12-all-time-passing-leader

Nice use of the apostrophe:whistle: