Mannion looking Good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not either. I wish they had seen what they had in Mannion toward the end of last season. Even if it meant possibly tanking a game or two because of him. They need some hard NFL eval on him and don't have it.

Agreed.

You make me wish they hadn't even drafted him because they may be counting on him to be the future. I am a strong believer that the backup should be a mobile guy who can come in and really throw a defense off with his change of skillset. I always think back to how well Seneca Wallace played when he backed up in Seattle. He never was starter material, but he won them games and much of it was with his feet and threat to run. That was a nice compliment to a much less mobile Hassleback.

I have said on here how much Cossell loves Mettenberger. You don't seem impressed (with either the evaluator or the evaluee). Cossell said he believes that Mettenberger has more upside than any QB in last years draft. That is lofty praise. What don't you like about him? I never watched him but he had some elite talent at WR and didn't do a lot with them at LSU.

I don't think a backup has to be mobile. Just a guy that can manage the game and do enough for you to win.

I don't like Mettenberger. Has the same flaw that Mannion does...he crumbles when he's forced off his spot. I don't know if you saw him this year behind the leaky Titans OL but he was terrible. Looked far worse than rookie Mariota. Mettenberger has a big arm but far too many flaws. I don't think he's any better than Derek Anderson. Can give you some nice games when you protect him well but if he's under pressure a bit, he'll implode.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless they see Mannion as a QB that is as good or better than what they can get in the draft.

Seems odd that they would with the way they treated him last year. I can understand them not giving him reps during the preseason due to the Davis/Keenum battle but they had all season and still opted not to give him consistent reps despite all the QB issues we had.

And it's not like Mannion's a project QB...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seems odd that they would with the way they treated him last year. I can understand them not giving him reps during the preseason due to the Davis/Keenum battle but they had all season and still opted not to give him consistent reps despite all the QB issues we had.

I think most rookie QBs are projects. Sure there are the Lucks out there on occasion and some others but when you watched all the rookies over the past couple years, I can't see where any of them could not be considered projects. Just because they were thrown into the starting role - to me - doesn't make them not a project.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

It's not? I guess I don't know what you mean by that term?

He was decent but not good enough to be expected to come in and play in his first year like most QBs not taken in the first round. He did pay in a pro-style offense but had a lot to learn and flaws in his game that needed to be adjusted/fixed. He has the frame but, needed a year with a professional training team to strengthen him.

A guy with potential and pedigree but in need of NFL coaching and training.

He might have been throwing against air but the throws were on the money. Some guys can't even do that much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not? I guess I don't know what you mean by that term?

He was decent but not good enough to be expected to come in and play in his first year like most QBs not taken in the first round. He did pay in a pro-style offense but had a lot to learn and flaws in his game that needed to be adjusted/fixed. He has the frame but, needed a year with a professional training team to strengthen him.

A guy with potential and pedigree but in need of NFL coaching and training.

He might have been throwing against air but the throws were on the money. Some guys can't even do that much.

Middling physical tools
4 year starter in a pro style offense
Coach's kid
No glaring flaws that needed to be corrected before he played

That's not a project to me. His best assets (according to the Rams) were his intelligence and experience.

I think most rookie QBs are projects. Sure there are the Lucks out there on occasion and some others but when you watched all the rookies over the past couple years, I can't see where any of them could not be considered projects. Just because they were thrown into the starting role - to me - doesn't make them not a project.

For me, there's a difference between being inexperienced and being a project. A project to me is a QB with a lot of tools that is raw and needs a lot of development before he can play.

Mannion isn't that to me. He came from a pro style offense as a four year starter. He's not supremely physically talented. But he also didn't have glaring flaws that would keep him from playing.

But that's arguing over semantics.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Middling physical tools
4 year starter in a pro style offense
Coach's kid
No glaring flaws that needed to be corrected before he played

That's not a project to me. His best assets (according to the Rams) were his intelligence and experience.

For me, there's a difference between being inexperienced and being a project. A project to me is a QB with a lot of tools that is raw and needs a lot of development before he can play.

Mannion isn't that to me. He came from a pro style offense as a four year starter. He's not supremely physically talented. But he also didn't have glaring flaws that would keep him from playing.

But that's arguing over semantics.
Fair assessment. I see where you draw the line and it makes sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'll take both Mannings, Big Bens etc opinions and their combined SB rings about whether its best to sit and learn or learn by playing
Every situation is different and I would take Rodgers in a heart beat over any of them save maybe Peyton and that would be a coin flip.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll take both Mannings, Big Bens etc opinions and their combined SB rings about whether its best to sit and learn or learn by playing

As I recall, this discussion happened before. And what we found was that multiple HOF caliber QBs felt it was better to sit (that group includes Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers) and multiple HOF caliber QBs felt it was better to play.

What that should indicate to you is that it depends on the player...not that one side is right or wrong.

WvuIN02

Starter
Every situation is different and I would take Rodgers in a heart beat over any of them save maybe Peyton and that would be a coin flip.

Its not like Rodgers benched himself, and I could easily argue the other side of that coin that the Packers could have been better playing Rodgers over Favre.

All of those QBs I mentioned made the point that until you see live rounds from NFL guys in a real live game, you will never be prepared for the speed of the game. Peyton specifically said his first year when they were awful and 3-13 he learned more than the rest of his career combined about how to play at this level.

WvuIN02

Starter
As I recall, this discussion happened before. And what we found was that multiple HOF caliber QBs felt it was better to sit (that group includes Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers) and multiple HOF caliber QBs felt it was better to play.

What that should indicate to you is that it depends on the player...not that one side is right or wrong.

Fair enough.

I guess my personal experience with anything in life is that you learn far more doing something than reading about it or watching it. As for Mannion, I hope if a QB is available they take one even if they think he can be good.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Rams need to hedge their bets. If he's the guy, he'll win the job. He has a head-start on anyone they bring in. Him throwing against air isn't going to win me over.
Bur Wentz throwing against upper level high school talent has? Gimme a break. At least he is putting in the work to get better.

I'd much rather have Mannion and all the draft picks you have proposed giving up than any QB in this draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bur Wentz throwing against upper level high school talent has? Gimme a break. At least he is putting in the work to get better.

Spare me. Wentz played in the FCS. Not high school. What a ridiculous criticism.

And then Wentz went out and played against the best players in college football at the Senior Bowl. I trust film of Wentz playing against FCS teams far more than I do any QB throwing against air.

I'd much rather have Mannion and all the draft picks you have proposed giving up than any QB in this draft.

You'd much rather have that? Great. I'd rather watch a team capable of making the playoffs. :LOL:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I missed the Senior Bowl. How'd Wentz do?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I missed the Senior Bowl. How'd Wentz do?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-week-winners-qb-carson-wentz-a-round-1-lock/
Early in the week, I happened to be standing behind a pair of scouts at practice, one area scout from the AFC and one from the NFC. The AFC scout was not as familiar with Wentz as some of the other Midwest scouts on hand. He remarked that Wentz was the “absolute real deal.” The NFC scout didn’t miss a beat.

“If you need a quarterback after [pick number] 12 or 13 [in the NFL draft], forget it, you’re not getting Wentz.”

That was the type of week it was for Wentz. Some NFL fans had likely never seen Wentz play until Saturday when the South beat the Wentz’s North squad in the actual Senior Bowl game. For some NFL scouts, like the AFC scout mentioned above, there was a ton of intrigue heading into the week. As such, Wentz’s ascent over the past few weeks has been meteoric, yet chaotic. But, Wentz approached the week with the goal of staying grounded.

[Mock Draft: A pre-Senior Bowl week projection of Round 1]

“I try to stay really humble, grounded,” Wentz said. “I’m a faith-based person so I realize that I’m nothing special. I’m just another guy trying to impact the world. I have good people in my life that’ll put me back in my place.”

There are some NFL players that should heed that advice but I digress.

Regardless, Wentz was the star to see in Mobile and he didn’t disappoint in the slightest. Off the field, he honored every interview request, did it all with a smile and respected every single person he met. On the field, he wasn’t perfect throwing the football, but no quarterback can be in an all-star situation. Still, he exhibited the skills NFL teams want to see, starting with his physique.

He’s built exactly as you’d want an NFL quarterback to be. He has a fluid throwing motion and the ball comes out of his hand quickly and accurately. Many tall quarterbacks struggle getting the ball out of their hands as they have a prolonged arm motion and delivery, Wentz does not. Furthermore, at 6-foot-5, 233 pounds, he’s not just a pocket passer.

“With my size and my unique abilities, I can do a number of different things,” Wentz said. He’s not wrong.

NFL people walked in wanting to see if the hype was real and walked out knowing that he’d be a top-16, first-round draft selection.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I would add that it depends on the roster he is on too. If there is no good QB to start while the guy sits, if the quality of the OLine will hinder development, if he has any receivers or running game to work with...etc