Mannion looking Good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To Mannion's defense, Fisher said after Mannion was drafted that he will sit the whole season and learn. I am glad they stuck with with the plan.

I'm not.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I am not either. I wish they had seen what they had in Mannion toward the end of last season. Even if it meant possibly tanking a game or two because of him. They need some hard NFL eval on him and don't have it.

The biggest issue I saw with Mannion is that he didn't do well when forced off his spot.

Well this is a big issue for any QB in the NFL today and is not a good sign. NFL pass rushes are better than they ever were. The rushes come from all over too. Not being able to extend a play with your feet is not a good trait.

From years of watching him (even during his amazing year with Cooks),

Maybe Cooks was his go to blitz beater and he didn't ever have to look elsewhere in those situations. Cooks was too fast for most college players to cover so Mannion always went his way. That doesn't work in the NFL even with a guy as fast as Tavon.

He strikes me as a career backup type

You make me wish they hadn't even drafted him because they may be counting on him to be the future. I am a strong believer that the backup should be a mobile guy who can come in and really throw a defense off with his change of skillset. I always think back to how well Seneca Wallace played when he backed up in Seattle. He never was starter material, but he won them games and much of it was with his feet and threat to run. That was a nice compliment to a much less mobile Hassleback.

I have said on here how much Cossell loves Mettenberger. You don't seem impressed (with either the evaluator or the evaluee). Cossell said he believes that Mettenberger has more upside than any QB in last years draft. That is lofty praise. What don't you like about him? I never watched him but he had some elite talent at WR and didn't do a lot with them at LSU.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I just don't understand why some think that Foles can't be cut. That he will remain and consequently clog up QB snaps and development. He is eminently cuttable, actually. And his roster spot is gonna be far more valuable than he is. I'm sure he will be cut.

Also, I don't understand the angst over working with 3-4 QB's in camp. Isn't that a fairly normal situation? Especially on a team trying to settle on a starter?

I see some combination of the following as our camp scenario:

We draft a "top 3" QB at #15.
Might work out a trade for a Chase Daniel type as an incoming FA.
Keenum resigned as our default early '16 starter until someone emerges.
Mannion kept and given an equal opportunity for snaps during camp.

I don't want to hear how difficult it is to evaluate multiple QB's in camp and preseason games. That's what teams looking for their starting QB simply have to do, dammit!

If it doesn't provide acceptable results this year, then rinse and repeat each year until an NFL caliber starting QB emerges.

Our QB quest will be hampered by the questionable O staff that Fisher has assembled, I'm afraid. But Kroenke has already made that decision, so we must try to make the best of it.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I agree. I thought that Fisher was totally stupid for not giving Mannion reps when Case went down with the concussion. Everyone new that Foles was completely done by that time. It's why Foles wasn't playing in the first place!

jap

Legend
Also, I don't understand the angst over working with 3-4 QB's in camp. Isn't that a fairly normal situation? Especially on a team trying to settle on a starter?

Agreed! In fact, even teams with three settled QBs invariably will hire a fourth guy as a camp arm just to keep from wearing out the arms of the leading three candidates.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If the Rams pass on a QB, they put the team in the same situation they were in last year. I can't believe that Fisher and Snead don't recognize that.
Unless they see Mannion as a QB that is as good or better than what they can get in the draft.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I dont think Mannion is the answer, I hope I am horribly wrong though because my growing concern is that Fisher doesnt draft a QB and rolls with Foles, Keenum and Mannion in 16'. I feel 80% sure on this(gut feeling), but for the love that is all holy and sacred, I hope I am wrong.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Warner say Hi.
Take Kurt out of that equation as he played in the arena league and in NFL Europe before holding a clipboard. And if anyone on the Rams in 1998 knew what a QB looked like he would have been starting over Banks.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I dont think Mannion is the answer, I hope I am horribly wrong though because my growing concern is that Fisher doesnt draft a QB and rolls with Foles, Keenum and Mannion in 16'. I feel 80% sure on this(gut feeling), but for the love that is all holy and sacred, I hope I am wrong.
Pretty funny. I just noticed your signature. I just watched that episode again the other night.
934TXS0107SKYTANIC.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Take Kurt out of that equation as he played in the arena league and in NFL Europe before holding a clipboard. And if anyone on the Rams in 1998 knew what a QB looked like he would have been starting over Banks.
Then insert a long line of past QBs as it was the norm up until fairly recent times.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then insert a long line of past QBs as it was the norm up until fairly recent times.

To be fair, teams used to be allowed much more practice time in the offseason, in preseason, and during the season. Now practice is not as good as game time, but still better than what 3rd stringers get currently.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
To be fair, teams used to be allowed much more practice time in the offseason, in preseason, and during the season. Now practice is not as good as game time, but still better than what 3rd stringers get currently.
Agreed. But it is still going on. Kurt Cousins is a recent example.

My point is that holding a clipboard for a year or two doesn't mean you can't be a very good QB.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I know. I'm power watching them all again waiting for the new season.
Think I've seen every episode at least 3 times. Think I need to binge watch them again now. Great idea.

Jesus, Archer, you think this is a game?
No, I think jenga's a game.

That's still my favorite line from archer and what sold me on the show.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. But it is still going on. Kurt Cousins is a recent example.

My point is that holding a clipboard for a year or two doesn't mean you can't be a very good QB.

I want Mannion to get a chance - but Cousins had a bunch of playing time with erratic performances before blossoming this season. He'd had 9 starts and 14 appearances - not really the example you want.

That being said, the coaches have a far better idea of Mannion than any of us. I'm sure he picked up some things last season, even if mainly as a 3rd stringer. He won't be a rookie, and will be more advanced. So unless a draftee is far ahead of him in talent, I'm not sure if it makes sense to draft somebody.

I see Foles playing the Austin Davis role in camp unless somebody trades something vaguely of value for him - the body there in case of injury. So Mannion will get more snaps in preseason, and with better players.