Mannion looking Good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the way the ball comes out of his hand and I really liked the energy of the offense when he ran it.

I truly think if they gave him a chance, he'd be our guy. I don't think we need to draft anyone. I think we have our franchise guy. Truly.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't think he was picked just to waste a 3 round pick and appease fans. This guy has as good a chance as anyone in the last couple of drafts to develop in to a legitimate starting NFL QB. He was exactly where he needed to be in 2015, in class. This year he will get a chance to start if Chase doesn't lock down the starting role. The sooner he gets in the better for me, I want to see what he's got and give him a chance to develop

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Fisher acknowledged that is reps got aced with the duel between Keenum and Davis for 2nd string which left Mannion out in the cold for reps. That was unfortunate...

It looks like Mannion is focusing on hitting the May practices on fire. Good for him and hopefully good for the team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams need to hedge their bets. If he's the guy, he'll win the job. He has a head-start on anyone they bring in. Him throwing against air isn't going to win me over.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnny Manziel says "Amateur. That's serious Vegas time that Mannion dude is wasting. He'll never be big league like me."

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Rams need to hedge their bets. If he's the guy, he'll win the job. He has a head-start on anyone they bring in. Him throwing against air isn't going to win me over.

My only issue is with their plan to bring EVERYONE back AND bring in further competition. There's not enough reps for 4 QBs to get enough reps to show what they can do and get the timing down to be effective.

If they draft someone in the 1st round, he's the de facto #2 while Keenum is likely the starter for the season because Fisher won't start the season with Mannion after drafting a QB in the 1st round. Which means it won't be a hedge, it will be a complete dump of the pick. Mannion won't get a chance.

In what little action he's had, I like what I've seen and would like to see him get a chance.

I'm trying to find those scenarios where Mannion would actually get a legit chance.

That doesn't exist if the Rams 1) draft a QB in the first round or 2) if the Rams trade for/sign a Vet. Most fans want 1 or 2 because they want the Rams to be successful and don't want to take a chance on Mannion.

But what if he really is the guy?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't condone the idea of a four QB race. If we draft one, show Foles the door right away. Split the reps fairly amongst the remaining three and see what they have. If Mannion wins, solid. But no point ruining a guys shot making him #4 without getting to show what he has.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Mannion is a big unknown.

I'd like a first round QB, plus Keenum, plus Mannion. Hope one of them excels.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mannion is better known to the coaching staff than any first round QB.

That may or may not be comforting, of course.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Jerry's right - throwing against air doesn't mean shit. That said, he needs a chance to show what he's got - hope he gets it. I like him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Since I never watched Mannion play in college, what is it that you didn't like about his game?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hedging their bets by giving up the farm is what I have a big problem with. I realize you don't like Mannion for various reasons but I just don't see hedging as a reason to go all in on another unknown. If we can reasonably get a top QB in this draft, I'm all over it. Hell - if nothing else, what has shown to be better trade bait than a potential starting QB languishing as your back-up? Even if you think Mannion is your future, grab a top QB in the draft if he's available. What is your real negative? You are top heavy at the most important position on the field and have to trade the lesser of the two?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hedging their bets by giving up the farm is what I have a big problem with. I realize you don't like Mannion for various reasons but I just don't see hedging as a reason to go all in on another unknown. If we can reasonably get a top QB in this draft, I'm all over it. Hell - if nothing else, what has shown to be better trade bait than a potential starting QB languishing as your back-up? Even if you think Mannion is your future, grab a top QB in the draft if he's available. What is your real negative? You are top heavy at the most important position on the field and have to trade the lesser of the two?

Exactly. Trading a fortune for a top QB prospect is not what I want - the last time that happened, the third round pick from the same draft ultimately beat him out. But if they really like somebody, and it takes their first and the Eagles' second, and maybe a mid-round future pick - that's fine. More than that, and the Rams are gambling big time for a risk. Especially since if there is anybody who is a sure thing, it is unlikely the Rams would be able to get the draft capital to trade for him anyway. That's the nature of drafting at #15 in the middle of the first round.

Bargains virtually never happen for trading up for elite QB prospects.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I agree with the second part of your comment.
But as far as Mannion being an 'Unknown' so would any Draftee be! At least Mannion has an understanding of the system!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not giving up the farm to hedge my bets. I'm giving up the farm if I believe that the QB I'm trading for is a future star.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since I never watched Mannion play in college, what is it that you didn't like about his game?

There was a lot about his game that I didn't like. Fair or not, I saw a lot of him as a sophomore when he was not good. Got benched for Cody Vaz that year for a time. I was evaluating Markus Wheaton back then and I saw Mannion routinely throw inaccurate passes to him when he was open. So there was already a bad taste in my mouth with him from that point.

What issues did I have with his game? He just struck me as very similar to Nick Foles and Mike Glennon. Same sort of mechanical deficiencies. Same sort of physical tools. Same sort of frustrating inconsistencies. And I really didn't like his throwing motion. It wasn't as ugly as Hogan's but it wasn't pretty either.

The biggest issue I saw with Mannion is that he didn't do well when forced off his spot. He's one of those QBs that you come after when he's playing because he gets rattled when he's forced to move around a lot. It's kind of similar to the issues that Bradford has. You let him take his drop and get the ball out on time without a guy in his face, he looks good. Good rhythm passer. But when you mess with his rhythm, he is thrown completely off his game. I remember the Stanford game his Senior year, they blitzed the hell out of him. He had no answer for it.

That's something I don't like seeing. I can completely understand if a team is getting after you with their rush while blanketing your WRs. As a QB, you're stuck. But when a team is throwing the kitchen sink at you, you have to be able to diagnose the blitz, find your match-up advantages, and neutralize the blitz by getting the ball out quickly.

From years of watching him (even during his amazing year with Cooks), I saw a guy with middling physical talent, inconsistent mechanics, and a mental game that didn't always translate to the field. Don't get me wrong. He wasn't all bad. His touch throws, like fade routes, were gorgeous by the time he became a senior. But I just saw too many holes that NFL DCs can take advantage of.

Like I said earlier, I saw a lot of Foles and Glennon...but I felt he was an inferior prospect to Glennon because Glennon showed a bit more ability to move around without his accuracy becoming spotty. He strikes me as a career backup type. And I'm not entirely sure that Fisher and Snead felt differently. People tend to undervalue those players but after seeing Bradford struggle with injuries, I think Fisher and Snead value a good, steady backup QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My only issue is with their plan to bring EVERYONE back AND bring in further competition. There's not enough reps for 4 QBs to get enough reps to show what they can do and get the timing down to be effective.

If they draft someone in the 1st round, he's the de facto #2 while Keenum is likely the starter for the season because Fisher won't start the season with Mannion after drafting a QB in the 1st round. Which means it won't be a hedge, it will be a complete dump of the pick. Mannion won't get a chance.

In what little action he's had, I like what I've seen and would like to see him get a chance.

I'm trying to find those scenarios where Mannion would actually get a legit chance.

That doesn't exist if the Rams 1) draft a QB in the first round or 2) if the Rams trade for/sign a Vet. Most fans want 1 or 2 because they want the Rams to be successful and don't want to take a chance on Mannion.

But what if he really is the guy?

Popular or not, my solution is to cut Foles and to accept that Keenum is a backup. Let the rookie QB and Mannion fight it out...if they believe Mannion is capable of being a starter.

The Rams have no business passing on a QB in the draft. You don't pass on a QB because you might have something in a 3rd round pick you barely let play as a rookie.(the odds are heavily stacked against Mannion ever becoming a quality starting QB) Especially not when you started a career backup (Keenum) over him when your starter faltered.

If the Rams pass on a QB, they put the team in the same situation they were in last year. I can't believe that Fisher and Snead don't recognize that.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Especially not when you started a career backup (Keenum) over him when your starter faltered.

To Mannion's defense, Fisher said after Mannion was drafted that he will sit the whole season and learn. I am glad they stuck with with the plan.