Mannion looking Good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BadCompany

Rookie
I don't think that throwing a guy into an NFL game when he isn't ready is a good idea, even if you think he might eventually be so. It would be like taking the top high school recruit and throwing him up against the Broncos or something, just to "see what he's got". I'm all for players getting into games, but if they are going to be horribly overmatched because they just aren't ready then the only thing you will learn is... they just aren't ready.

Which they could quite possibly see during practice, if he's that far behind.

Now having said that, I hope Mannion is the guy. If not to start the year, then perhaps six weeks in. Wouldn't it be great if this was the plan, and then when it came time to draft there was a first round QB sitting there? Perhaps the last first round QB? I wonder what kind of ransom they could get from somebody below them? Instead of trading up for a QB, trading down again?

Ants

Starter
There was a lot about his game that I didn't like. Fair or not, I saw a lot of him as a sophomore when he was not good. Got benched for Cody Vaz that year for a time. I was evaluating Markus Wheaton back then and I saw Mannion routinely throw inaccurate passes to him when he was open. So there was already a bad taste in my mouth with him from that point.

What issues did I have with his game? He just struck me as very similar to Nick Foles and Mike Glennon. Same sort of mechanical deficiencies. Same sort of physical tools. Same sort of frustrating inconsistencies. And I really didn't like his throwing motion. It wasn't as ugly as Hogan's but it wasn't pretty either.

The biggest issue I saw with Mannion is that he didn't do well when forced off his spot. He's one of those QBs that you come after when he's playing because he gets rattled when he's forced to move around a lot. It's kind of similar to the issues that Bradford has. You let him take his drop and get the ball out on time without a guy in his face, he looks good. Good rhythm passer. But when you mess with his rhythm, he is thrown completely off his game. I remember the Stanford game his Senior year, they blitzed the hell out of him. He had no answer for it.

That's something I don't like seeing. I can completely understand if a team is getting after you with their rush while blanketing your WRs. As a QB, you're stuck. But when a team is throwing the kitchen sink at you, you have to be able to diagnose the blitz, find your match-up advantages, and neutralize the blitz by getting the ball out quickly.

From years of watching him (even during his amazing year with Cooks), I saw a guy with middling physical talent, inconsistent mechanics, and a mental game that didn't always translate to the field. Don't get me wrong. He wasn't all bad. His touch throws, like fade routes, were gorgeous by the time he became a senior. But I just saw too many holes that NFL DCs can take advantage of.

Like I said earlier, I saw a lot of Foles and Glennon...but I felt he was an inferior prospect to Glennon because Glennon showed a bit more ability to move around without his accuracy becoming spotty. He strikes me as a career backup type. And I'm not entirely sure that Fisher and Snead felt differently. People tend to undervalue those players but after seeing Bradford struggle with injuries, I think Fisher and Snead value a good, steady backup QB.

That's a good write-up. I like your comparison with Foles and Glennon.
But you can't just lump them all together like they're all the same player. But I get what you're saying. Perhaps the year of watching and learning will put Mannion over the top?
Who knows.
I think I'd prefer to go BPA in the first round, and then grab Prescott in the 2nd. I would prefer to dump Foles...but I admit that I am not privy to any issues (health?) that made him so pathetic last season.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2...-rams-quarterback-sean-mannion-2016-nfl-draft

Los Angeles Rams: Recollecting What Draft Experts Were Saying About Sean Mannion
By Brandon Bate @NoPlanB_ on Feb 12, 2016

usa-today-8961439.0.jpg

Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

The Los Angeles Rams drafted Sean Mannion out of Oregon State with the 89th pick in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft. And with one season under his belt, it’s still very unclear of what he’s capable of accomplishing in the pros.

Mannion took seven total snaps in his rookie year. 290 fewer than Case Keenum. 649 less than Nick Foles. The rookie would complete 6 of 7 for 31 yards, with a long completion of 11 yards.

Gone are the days when a quarterback was drafted with the intention of sitting behind the team’s current starter for two or three years, learning the intricacies of the game in preparation for their time on the big stage. In today’s NFL, quarterbacks are often thrust into the offense with the expectation that they’re Week 1 ready.

That wasn’t the case for Mannion, whose seven snaps in Week 12 can hardly be considered experience. That’s not to say that Mannion didn’t better himself in 2015. He certainly had time to learn the playbook, and take pointers from Foles, Keenum, and the coaching staff.

How much has he improved is the question. Not far removed from last year’s draft, and with minimal tape to clearly indicate otherwise, here’s what draft experts were saying the Rams got when they drafted Mannion last May:

Mannion reminds me a little bit of Mike Glennon. He throws with anticipation and timing, but he has to quicken the process a little bit. - Mike Mayock

"Bottom Line" from Mannion’s NFL.com Draft Profile

Tall, rhythm thrower who shows an ability to play with confidence and accuracy when used as a game manager within an offense featuring a strong rushing attack. Mannion needs plays to stay on schedule or his confidence becomes shaky and the turnovers start rolling in. Mannion lacks arm talent to carry an offense, but has enough ability to become a capable backup. NFL Comparison: Matt Schaub

From Kevin Patra, NFL.com's Around The NFL writer:

However, Mannion's arm talent leaves a lot to be desired and he was turnover-prone in college. One scout compared him to Derek Anderson, who also came out of Oregon State.

From Dane Brugler, CBS Sports NFL Draft Analyst

Mannion has shown promise over his career, but tends to be too careless with his decisions and lacks the consistency against pressures to be a consistent NFL starter. If he can learn how to speed up his process for the NFL level, Mannion can carve out a Shaun Hill type of career, but if he doesn't, his career will likely follow a Tony Pike-like path.

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-02-12%2Bat%2B9.59.02%2BAM.png

Patrick Daugherty ✔ @RotoPat
Sean Mannion had *54* picks in college. Fumbled 30 times. He sounds up Austin Davis and Case Keenum's alley.

Matt Miller ✔ @nfldraftscout
Sean Mannion = Mike Glennon might be the most perfect player comparison in this draft.

Chris Mortensen ✔ @mortreport
#STLPick Oregon State QB Sean Mannion. Multiple Execs endorsed him as the smartest player in this draft. High Football IQ. Father HS coach.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Seems odd that they would with the way they treated him last year. I can understand them not giving him reps during the preseason due to the Davis/Keenum battle but they had all season and still opted not to give him consistent reps despite all the QB issues we had.

And it's not like Mannion's a project QB...
Well, Keenum vs Davis wasn't even a battle. Davis had very little playing time in preseason. The staff had Keenum inked for the #2 position from the beginning it appeared. Mannion should have received Davis' reps. Davis never stood a chance.

Last edited:

Ram Man

Rookie
I've said before, Keenum is the most likely QB to not be on the roster when the regular season starts. There's only going to be 3 roster spots for QB's after preseason cuts. The Rams will bring in another QB. So who is most likely to go:

Foles' 2016 cap number is $8,750,000. If the Rams cut him his dead cap number is about $7-8M. So little savings if they cut him. It's possible that Foles is capable of playing better with a healthy Gurley and better weapons around him and that last year was just a down year for him and the team. If the Rams do decide to cut him in the off season, they should probably do it by 3/16 at which time his $1.75M base salary becomes fully guaranteed.

Mannion is a third round pick with a strong arm. I haven't seen enough of him to evaluate him. He's got good size with a strong arm and is supposed to be very smart. I expect the team thinks that they can bring him along slowly which is not a bad idea. I think throwing him out there at the end of this past season would have been a bad idea. If the team sees progress from him in the off season they'll likely keep him. He'll take up almost nothing against the cap. I think a good outcome for the team is for Mannion to continue to slowly develop so that he could be the starter in 2017.

That leaves one more roster spot for a QB. Keenum is a stop gap kind of guy for the Rams who will not be with the team 2-3 years from now no matter what. He has limited limited physical measurables (height, weight, athleticism, arm strength) and has bounced around the league a bit. If the Rams bring in a new QB and that guy wins the job, the Rams can cut Keenum without any real cap hit. They could also trade him for a late round pick.

Last edited:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Fisher acknowledged that is reps got aced with the duel between Keenum and Davis for 2nd string which left Mannion out in the cold for reps. That was unfortunate...
Another major mistake by Fisher for even bringing Davis in. This is why the Rams are not improving offensively.
Fisher needs to give the offense to someone else and stay the ^%!^ away from it.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I've said before, Keenum is the most likely QB to not be on the roster when the regular season starts. There's only going to be 3 roster spots for QB's after preseason cuts.

Foles' 2016 cap number is $8,750,000. If they cut him his dead cap number is $7-8M. So little savings if they cut him. His $6M salary makes him impossible to trade. It's possible that he is capable of playing better with a healty Gurley and better weapons around him and that last year was just a down year for him.

Mannion is a third round pick with a strong arm. I haven't seen enough from him to evaluate him. I expect the team thinks that they can bring him along slowly which is not a bad idea. I think throwing him out there at the end of this past season would have been a bad idea. If the team sees progress from him in the off season they'll likely keep him. He'll take up almost nothing against the cap.

That leaves one more roster spot for a QB. If the Rams bring in a QB and that guy wins the job, the Rams can cut Keenum without any real cap hit. They could also trade him for a late round pick.

It doesn't really matter how many times you say it. You're incorrect. It's not always about the savings. Keenum is our starter whether you or I like it or not. Foles is the least likely to be on the roster. Fisher is big on Keenum and clearly is not happy with Foles. Yeah he'll get a chance to compete like all the other QBs. But he's the backup now. He may out right be cut if we draft a QB. The only way you'll be correct, if the Rams just don't qualify Keenum. We have cap room, and we'll have more when restructures begin. Foles contract status is irrelevant.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just don't understand why some think that Foles can't be cut.
New Member puts it so well.....
Foles' 2016 cap number is $8,750,000. If the Rams cut him his dead cap number is about $7-8M. So little savings if they cut him.
Only reason he's here....gotta be....

I don't want to hear how difficult it is to evaluate multiple QB's in camp and preseason games. That's what teams looking for their starting QB simply have to do, dammit!
Now this is my thought exactly!!! Grab a bunch of wr's and get the drills going...actually better to have more arms to evaluate multiple players...esp. receivers, & centers...find out who's smart...thinks...and is ready to play.

my growing concern is that Fisher doesnt draft a QB and rolls with Foles, Keenum and Mannion in 16'
Now you hurtin my feelings Tronie.......

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
New Member puts it so well.....
Only reason he's here....gotta be....

He doesn't have to be here. Money is on the books either way. Doesn't mean we have to waste a roster spot and practice reps on him.