Malcolm Brown to the Dolphins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Malcolm Brown? What does he have to do with this? We're talking about fullback, the position that almost doesnt even exist in the NFL anymore. A true fullback hasnt even been drafted since 2017. So being the best fullback in the draft is meaningless.
It’s too funny, every offseason fans here want to add a FB and McVay never does. He’s said he wants more speed and explosive plays but there’s still call to add a FB that is rarely a fast position.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It’s too funny, every offseason fans here want to add a FB and McVay never does. He’s said he wants more speed and explosive plays but there’s still call to add a FB that is rarely a fast position.

So you're saying Robert Holcombe isn't coming back?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

One exception, he did draft an undersized FB in the late rounds of 2017. This year we have lost Brown, so a short yardage HB/FB might make a good pairing with Akers/Henderson, and he's a special teams demon and terrific overall blocker, something we lacked last year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One exception, he did draft an undersized FB in the late rounds of 2017. This year we have lost Brown, so a short yardage HB/FB might make a good pairing with Akers/Henderson, and he's a special teams demon and terrific overall blocker, something we lacked last year.
If you want to word it to call the RB drafted a fullback then sure. If we draft any running back they need to be able to block to get on the field that’s nothing new. Common logic with the RB we have a guy who excels at short yardage is logical. A fullback being drafted and schemed into the offense? Good luck with that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A fullback being drafted and schemed into the offense? Good luck with that.

I believe McVay has the offensive creativity to scheme up most anything, and who knows what was on his mind in 2017 when he drafted Rogers, but he did, so i'm guessing there was some method to his madness. It's not every year Rams fans seek a FB, Ben Mason has been a step up as far as recent college players go. He also showed his versatility at the Senior Bowl, I hope he lands someplace where his skillset is appreciated. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe McVay has the offensive creativity to scheme up most anything, and who knows what was on his mind in 2017 when he drafted Rogers, but he did, so i'm guessing there was some method to his madness. It's not every year Rams fans seek a FB, Ben Mason has been a step up as far as recent college players go. He also showed his versatility at the Senior Bowl, I hope he lands someplace where his skillset is appreciated. jmo.
He probably has the creativity to do whatever he wants. But if you've paid attention to what he's said since our 2020 season can you honestly say his vision for the offense and what he says he wants from the offense that a fullback fits into that? Honestly how is this according to McVay's own words even a discussion?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He probably has the creativity to do whatever he wants. But if you've paid attention to what he's said since our 2020 season can you honestly say his vision for the offense and what he says he wants from the offense that a fullback fits into that? Honestly how is this according to McVay's own words even a discussion?

I don't try to pretend what his actual vision is, the smoke is far to thick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think its pretty obvious that whatever was on his mind when they drafted Rogers, quickly passed as they barely used him (allegedly) in TC that year, cut him, and hasnt come close to bringing in a FB since.
Now all the talk is about explosive plays, having guys who can create seperation

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't try to pretend what his actual vision is, the smoke is far to thick.
I don't either I'm just reiterating what we've all heard him say and we've all discussed. We can only take him at his word and from what he's saying a FB is the antithesis of that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree with those of you who think a FB addition is unlikely. Explosives are the goal this year. But McVay is a trendsetter so if he feels that's the way to go he'll go get one.

They will be looking at TEs if they think they missed on Hopkins. But those TEs will be guys like Hopkins who are plus receivers. Not blockers.

Ideal scenario is they stashed Hopkins on purpose to try to maximize Everett's signing value. I don't think McVay would do that mind you, but it's my hope because then we might have a plus addition in-house who can stretch it. Unlikely but possible.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with those of you who think a FB addition is unlikely. Explosives are the goal this year. But McVay is a trendsetter so if he feels that's the way to go he'll go get one.
It wouldn't be trendsetting though. His biggest competition in Petey and mostly Little Rat use a FB so he's not going to copy them. If anything as long as those 2 are there he will likely never add one instead of following their lead.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It wouldn't be trendsetting though. His biggest competition in Petey and mostly Little Rat use a FB so he's not going to copy them. If anything as long as those 2 are there he will likely never add one instead of following their lead.
You can't do many things in this league for the first time though. I remember a buddy of mine used to argue with me about the mobile QBs and how new and amazing they were and I'd be like "you realize the original QBs were RBs right? Before the forward pass." It's more cyclical and once you see it that way trends are something you are either savvy at jumping on or not.

So when I say he's a trendsetter I don't mean he's the first guy to do it. I just mean he's a guy who nukes every big play and new play around the league every week and steals liberally just like everyone else. He's just quicker to get it all working and balanced correctly so he's on that short list of guys that every team probably watches weekly.

I mean even in college ball you saw those jet sweeps implemented more heavily after he used it on the league for a couple years. But a jet sweep wasn't new or anything. What was new was the way it was tied in with the other stuff.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So you're saying Robert Holcombe isn't coming back?

Do you remember when he was drafted?? Do you remember his rookie season. Brian Leonard? Hedegecock went to NYG & helped win them a SuperBowl. Then Hamiawanwjo came in and played a little HB ?? Just reflecting back a little.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Do you remember when he was drafted?? Do you remember his rookie season. Brian Leonard? Hedegecock went to NYG & helped win them a SuperBowl. Then Hamiawanwjo came in and played a little HB ?? Just reflecting back a little.

Holcombe was drafted in 1998. Hedgecock and Leonard were about a decade later.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Holcombe was drafted in 1998. Hedgecock and Leonard were about a decade later.

2005 & 2007

Hedgecock being a Pure FB from NC
played DE before switching over.

Brian Leonard started ahead of Ray Rice at Rutgers.He was undersized to be a pure FB imo. To slow to be drafted where he was by The Rams.