Malcolm Brown or CJ Anderson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great shot. My son and I were laughing so hard at Anderson on the boy's bench like that.

Here's another memorable one of 2018, for better or worse:
ap_182542127245221-e1536960050195.jpg

For better, IM(tasteless)O lol.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Brown is a free agent, and will get paid at least $805k for 2019, and probably more. So figure Anderson's salary is $2-3 million more than that. If he gets $5 million, then it is unlikely the Rams can afford him - they have too many others to pay, and pushed millions back for Whitworth and Woods to 2019 to give Donald a pay raise over his agreed to contract in 2018. But if Anderson does not get a good guaranteed contract, maybe he will take a few million or three over what Brown would get for 2019 to have a good position in 2019-2020.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t think we will be able to afford Anderson after these performances.

He's 32 and came in fresh after getting cut three times. I don't think he signs as a starter for anyone. Would you be comfortable with a 33 year old as the Rams main RB?

I'd like both CJ and Brown, forget Kelly he's not physical enough. CJ is very durable. Brown seems to be but hasn't started anywhere, so who knows. I like Browns athleticism, blocking and pass catching, but also love CJs contrasting running style.

tempests

Hall of Fame
He's 32 and came in fresh after getting cut three times. I don't think he signs as a starter for anyone. Would you be comfortable with a 33 year old as the Rams main RB?

I'd like both CJ and Brown, forget Kelly he's not physical enough. CJ is very durable. Brown seems to be but hasn't started anywhere, so who knows. I like Browns athleticism, blocking and pass catching, but also love CJs contrasting running style.

Anderson is 27.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not sure we get either back unfortunately. We were already talking about who would replace MB when he most likely leaves in FA.

If I had to choose though, give me Anderson. A 27 YO with a pro bowl and 2 Superbowls (one ring) under his belt. Kid can play. He's like a rolling ball of butcher's knives out there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure we get either back unfortunately. We were already talking about who would replace MB when he most likely leaves in FA.

If I had to choose though, give me Anderson. A 27 YO with a pro bowl and 2 Superbowls (one ring) under his belt. Kid can play. He's like a rolling ball of butcher's knives out there.
Only 1 ring? Good chance he has 2 when he becomes a FA

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

32? I’m pretty sure he is 27-28.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams are just fine with paying a CB who is a total blessing to our opponents each week $9 million in 2019 :shocking: then how can the Rams sanely NOT find the Cap $$$ to pay CJ who the opposite of what Marcu Peters is ....a Nightmare for our opponentso_O.

CJ was the key element in the Rams winning their last 3 games & one step away from the SB appearance. Malcolm Brown would never have done that. CJ was born & raised in CA. The OL scheme is the best place in the NFL for CJ to run behind. With the big issues with Gurley's rebuilt left knee & now headed for his 5th NFL season....how can we be so sure that Gurley's knee will hold up the full-time HD action McVay used him before without CJ?

We as Ram fans will be very sorry for letting CJ depart for the likes of Kelly, Brown & Davis.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
CJ was the key element in the Rams winning their last 3 games & one step away from the SB appearance. Malcolm Brown would never have done that.

I concur and this is also the perfect offense for Anderson the zone blocking scheme that the Rams run overseen by Running Game Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer. if the Rams can keep Anderson great, but it's all about dollars and cents. Also Brown could make more money elsewhere, so unless Anderson just loves the role and will take a cap friendly two year deal, next season your answer might be Benny Snell of Kentucky.
usa_today_11252216.0.jpg

Ram65

Legend
CJ has been the beneficiary of great blocking. It's close MB does everything very good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams are just fine with paying a CB who is a total blessing to our opponents each week $9 million in 2019 :shocking: then how can the Rams sanely NOT find the Cap $$$ to pay CJ who the opposite of what Marcu Peters is ....a Nightmare for our opponentso_O.

CJ was the key element in the Rams winning their last 3 games & one step away from the SB appearance. Malcolm Brown would never have done that. CJ was born & raised in CA. The OL scheme is the best place in the NFL for CJ to run behind. With the big issues with Gurley's rebuilt left knee & now headed for his 5th NFL season....how can we be so sure that Gurley's knee will hold up the full-time HD action McVay used him before without CJ?

We as Ram fans will be very sorry for letting CJ depart for the likes of Kelly, Brown & Davis.
Well that’s the tough decision you have to make when you are paying your RB#1 17 mill per. (Which I have no regret for)

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the question was which back would I RATHER keep. There were no stipulations about money or anything else.

The answer is CJ Anderson for me. It’s not even close. Next question.

fearsomefour

Legend
CJ.
He may be able to cash in or he may want to stay in a place where he has a role....weird he was cut twice.
Maybe he was let go because he doesn't have true break away speed. Brown doesn't either. Brown appears to maybe be s better receiver.
Both are willing blockers.
To my eye CJ is just a better runner....that little jump step buys him time, change direction....just allows him to make plays sometimes.
CJ if the cost is reasonable.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
CJ and if 5 mil is his asking price I'll pay it gladly. When mcvay decides to run the ball to set up the play action, the rams are unstoppable.
Next year all 31 other teams will have to respect cj in the backfield.

nighttrain

Legend
CJ.
He may be able to cash in or he may want to stay in a place where he has a role....weird he was cut twice.
Maybe he was let go because he doesn't have true break away speed. Brown doesn't either. Brown appears to maybe be s better receiver.
Both are willing blockers.
To my eye CJ is just a better runner....that little jump step buys him time, change direction....just allows him to make plays sometimes.
CJ if the cost is reasonable.
CJ all day....
train

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be fine with CJ.

But I've maintained for a while now that Malcolm is a starting caliber RB in this league. Every time he was on the field this year, he did good things.

For whatever reason, we just didn't use him. I'd have given him 10 carrier a game.

A55VA6

Legend
C.J. is a starting caliber RB, Malcolm Brown is not.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brown is a good player and a good backup to have, but C.J. is just a better player. With that said, C.J. will get an opportunity by a team in the offseason so I don't see him sticking around. Would love for him to stay, but I don't see it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
CJ won't be expensive since every team feels like they can replicate that production in the draft.

The only RBs who are getting paid are the super stars.

I mean, look at LeGarrette Blount. That guy was INSTRUMENTAL in both the Pats and Eagles winning it all IN CONSECUTIVE YEARS, and he never got above journeyman status.

Oddest thing I've seen in all the years of FA.

So, no, I don't think CJ will be super expensive and due to his age, no one is going to want to lock him up long term. At 28 next year, he's too old for a big 3 year deal.

I think once we win it all, that Malcolm Brown will have more juice due to his age, actually, as well as production and if Les Snead is amenable, they could easily come to a reasonable 2-3 year deal.