Mad Mike: simply an outstanding listen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I believe he apologized ;and said he made a mistake with KW
train

He also said it was an organizational move because they didn't want to pay him his bonus coming up with a fooked up thumb.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean turn a 3rd string supermarket bag boy into a 2 time NFL MVP. SB MVP, SB winning, likely HOF QB?

Yeah that was horrible...
Clearly, both men benefitted.

Martz never approached what he did with Warner after they had their break-up.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Clearly, both men benefitted.

Martz never approached what he did with Warner after they had their break-up.

He did go 12-4 without him in 2003. Snuck in the playoffs in 2004 and won a playoff game. It wasn't the GSOT, but it wasn't chopped liver either. I think it had more to do with Faulk's decline that Warner anyway. That's always been an unpopular opinion, but in my eyes Faulk is what drove the GSOT. He's what took us from great to truly special. You put 1999 Faulk on the 2003 Rams it's a SB team IMO.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did go 12-4 without him in 2003. Snuck in the playoffs in 2004 and won a playoff game. It wasn't the GSOT, but it wasn't chopped liver either. I think it had more to do with Faulk's decline that Warner anyway. That's always been an unpopular opinion, but in my eyes Faulk is what drove the GSOT. He's what took us from great to truly special. You put 1999 Faulk on the 2003 Rams it's a SB team IMO.
I hear ya... cuts both ways (depending on which man you are aligned with ;)).

Warner went back to the Super Bowl without Martz.

Martz never sniffed another Super Bowl (after the Rams)

Fact is.. after the Rams, Martz kinda bounced around with some success... but could never hang onto a job... even with his old pal Lovie, who he hired onto the Rams.

The GSOT was a wonderful time, but very complex. I'm sure I'll never understand why it had to end all too soon.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I hear ya... cuts both ways (depending on which man you are aligned with ;)).

Warner went back to the Super Bowl without Martz.

Martz never sniffed another Super Bowl.

Fact is.. after the Rams, Martz kinda bounced around with some success... but could never hang onto a job... even with his old pal Lovie, who he hired onto the Rams.

The GSOT was a wonderful time, but very complex. I'm sure I'll never understand why it had to end all too soon.

I'm not really aligned with either guy. I do find a lot of the assumptions about Martz and Warner after the split to be too pat, for lack of a better term. Martz had good success in Detroit but was scapegoated to hide the DC. Warner had many shaky games between the the end of his time in STL and his SB year in Arizona. Most people on the street have no idea the players voted Faulk the team MVP all three years during the height of the GSOT. Point is the answer to the rise and fall of the GSOT was far more complicated than just the standard "Warner" response most people give. He's a HOFer, but he played with 4 other HOFers as well. Their aging and decline may have had just a bit to do with the lack of offensive numbers and playoff wins after his departure as well.

MrMotes

Starter
Here's Warner on what Martz did to him:

http://www.dabears.com/chicago_bears/29086-cutler_could_spur_martz_renew_lovie_connection.html

''He was the most intelligent football coach I've ever been around,'' ex-Rams and current Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner said of Martz. ''He taught me more about the game than any other coach. He obviously helped me physically with technique, throwing the ball and being balanced. He was so valuable to my career and to where I'm at as a football player right now and what I know about the game. It was definitely a process, but he was so good, both physically and mentally in getting ready to play and helping me become the quarterback that I am.''

http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2190

"And from day one, it was all about my footwork," Warner recalled last month in Chicago after his Arizona Cardinals played an exhibition.

"He wanted a rhythmical drop, where every step was the same, so that you didn't have to shift your weight when you planted."

For months, Martz broke Warner down.

"As much as it was frustrating early on, with him yelling at me, when I got it down, it changed my life," Warner said.

MrMotes

Starter

Martz was Bruce's WR coach during Bruce's first two years with the Rams. He was Trent Green's QB coach in Washington when he emerged. He coached Torry Holt, Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger.

Martz has had his misses, but he's had a lot of hits too...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz has had his misses, but he's had a lot of hits too...

It always comes back to the same thing with Martz...

If he is so good, why does he remain unemployed? Surely, he'd be lured away by some team.

It's not like he has all these other commitments (did TV for a little while, don't think he does that anymore... at least not as prominent as Warner or Faulk. If he's such a genius, why isn't he on the set with those guys?).

He just seems to sit around his home in SD waiting for offers.