Lucky Rams Didn't Go Tackle In The First?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Yeah, we found a gem in Donald. If anyone can avoid a sophomore slump and even improve, he would be that guy. High character, good work ethic. And talented as hell. Devastating first step. I saw a highlight in college where he penetrated the backfield so quick, he tackled the RB and QB both while the QB was handing off the ball.
No doubt. Completely transformed our defense when we finally started him. I can't remember the last time I saw a rookie at any position have that kind of impact, except maybe at QB.

jjab360

Legend
Do you(we) know this for sure? I have my doubts.
I think I remember Snead admitting as much during the mid first round press conference last year or I might have read it in Mike Silver's post draft article.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
No doubt in my mind that they would have taken Clowney if he was available. I believe jjab is right that they did say something about it too.

Lucky for us(for once), things worked out great for us.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you(we) know this for sure? I have my doubts.

Hindsight is great but they would have been mad/crazy if they passed on him. I also thought I heard them say he was the pick if he was there.

Stel

Starter
I didn't like Peat either. I thought he was really overrated when people talked about him as a top ten prospect. Flowers on the other hand I thought had more promise.

I was with you on Flowers. Time will tell.

My short list three was Scherff (as an OG), Flowers (really liked the thought of Robinson and Flowers as bookend OTs); and Parker (didn't think Cooper or White had a chance to make it to 10). Never thought we'd take a RB in the first so I kind of overlooked him. Loved the pick, though, because I thought Gurley was an elite prospect - one of the few in the draft class.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was Flowers for me...and, seems only his injury has slowed his move to LT....And he's truly a monster.& Donovan Smith ..Bunch of young bucks were saying Scherff...Peat....and anyone that saw Pea'ts lower body (jiggly meat, way too big calves, 0 muscle tone) should know that he wasn't an elite athlete. Plus, much like Baylor and Jason Smith, I'm not messing with a Stanford Cardinal lineman after this Jonathon Martin fiasco....Serious....I take raw power & athleticism over technique every day...I mean, just check out the guys that go to the HOF....yeah you have a few technicians, but most of the linemen are physical & athletic men, that are mean & nasty....

Are you ignoring the fact that David DeCastro, who came out the same year as Martin, has developed into a great OG for Pittsburgh?

It was obvious watching Scherff that he's a NFL OG.

Checking out the HOF isn't going to tell you much. It's no surprise that most of the guys in the HOF were outstanding physical talents...because the HOF is reserved for the best of the best. Your odds of taking a HOFer are minuscule. If you look at the quality OTs in the NFL right now, there's a healthy mix of talented athletes and skilled technicians. You're lowering your chances of hitting on an OL if you ignore half of that pool.

Either ways, I'm VERY happy with the Gurley pick. The Rams made the right choice imo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Are you ignoring the fact that David DeCastro, who came out the same year as Martin, has developed into a great OG for Pittsburgh?
There's one jrry....and he's a fine lineman...I was perhaps a little vague...these were/are 1st rounders I'm really talking about...I know that is an irrational way to look at players...but I do that...:cool:o_O DeCastro had some really good college film too....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to judge Peat, but I would be very concerned if our 1st round OT showed up badly out of shape. As players, one of their jobs is to be and stay conditioned at the very least.

Ogletree showed up out of shape last year. It takes some guys longer to get "it" than others. Some never do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's one jrry....and he's a fine lineman...I was perhaps a little vague...these were/are 1st rounders I'm really talking about...I know that is an irrational way to look at players...but I do that...:cool:o_O DeCastro had some really good college film too....

Yes, DeCastro had great college tape. But that's the point. Judge a guy on his tape, not where he went to school. Two Stanford OLs went in the first 2 rounds that year. Martin was one and DeCastro was the other. One panned out, one didn't. I think it's an odd stance to write off Stanford OLs because Martin failed while DeCastro succeeded.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yes, DeCastro had great college tape. But that's the point. Judge a guy on his tape, not where he went to school. Two Stanford OLs went in the first 2 rounds that year. Martin was one and DeCastro was the other. One panned out, one didn't. I think it's an odd stance to write off Stanford OLs because Martin failed while DeCastro succeeded.

I agree with this. Judging a prospect on where he went to school because a few top tier prospects didnt pan out is no good.

I think the best example of this would be Alabama. They have an insane amount of players drafted every year, some are good-great(Mosley, Lacy, Julio Jones, Clinton-Dix, Fluker, Dareus, Ingram, etc), and some are huge busts(Milliner, Richardson, McClain, Kouandjio, etc.), and many in between.

To judge a player on past failures from the same school is a failure in itself.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So Schreff is doing just fine then.

Looks to be a great fit for them at the moment so yes. They have a excellent OLT & they may have a real good ORT in a young Morgan Moses. So the interior spots sure needed a big upgrade to help RG3 have a running game & step up option in the passing game(if he wants to:unsure:). The big issue for them is OLT Trent Williams is a UFA after this season. Trent has been to the last 3 pro bowls and will demand a monster contract to remain a Redskin.

Guess the big issue is getting your starting Right OG with a top five pick in the draft?:whistle:. If I am looking @ the best DL in the draft in Leonard Williams or even WR Kevin White ?? I going for that DT myself.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Looks to be a great fit for them at the moment so yes. They have a excellent OLT & they may have a real good ORT in a young Morgan Moses. So the interior spots sure needed a big upgrade to help RG3 have a running game & step up option in the passing game(if he wants to:unsure:). The big issue for them is OLT Trent Williams is a UFA after this season. Trent has been to the last 3 pro bowls and will demand a monster contract to remain a Redskin.

Guess the big issue is getting your starting Right OG with a top five pick in the draft?:whistle:. If I am looking @ the best DL in the draft in Leonard Williams or even WR Kevin White ?? I going for that DT myself.

Sounds to me like they needed OL across the board. Myself I think the OL is the most important thing to get right with your team so I can't see the problem with it. Getting your run game going is every bit as important as stopping the other teams run game so I never did see why one was considered more important than the other. There's a lot of "common wisdom" in the NFL that I don't consider actual wisdom.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
........Myself I think the OL is the most important thing to get right with your team so I can't see the problem with it........

I agree 100%. I try to learn from history...in the past when the Rams teams built outstanding OL'ers & continued to draft OL talent the Rams teams were very competitive in the NFL & many wins came directly from those past great Offensive Lines(y).

It was...until this 2015 draft my biggest issue with Snead/Fisher...they shut me up :censored:finally!