Lucky Rams Didn't Go Tackle In The First?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Andrus Peat - T - Saints
The Saints are concerned with first-round OT Andrus Peat’s conditioning.

"In 15 years of covering the NFL, I've never seen a player struggle as much as Peat did on Friday," reporter Jeff Duncan said. Peat also dealt with conditioning issues at OTAs. He’s been a disappointment in training camp, working mostly with the second team. Zach Strief remains comfortably ahead of Peat.

Source:New Orleans Times-Picayune per rotoworld.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This Rams brass does their homework.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn't like Peat either. I thought he was really overrated when people talked about him as a top ten prospect. Flowers on the other hand I thought had more promise.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went on a couple Cardinals sites to see how the other first round OT is doing and all I can see on Humphries is a minor injury and zero about how he's played. I think most expected us to go WR in the first though and there are a lot of mixed reviews about the WR that were available at #10.

Athos

Legend
I went on a couple Cardinals sites to see how the other first round OT is doing and all I can see on Humphries is a minor injury and zero about how he's played. I think most expected us to go WR in the first though and there are a lot of mixed reviews about the WR that were available at #10.

I'll admit wanting White or Parker and Peat was interesting...

But I'm pumped about Gurley. Elite player.

FRO

Legend
To me at pick 10 the only 2 legitimate candidates to me were Gurley and Parker. I'm glad we got Gurley because he has the talent to be the next great RB in the league. Even if he never pans out I will still support the pick. You went with talent over need. This wasn't a good draft class, so at 10 out options were terribly limited.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Read last week parker not practicing still recovering from offseason surgery.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Awful early to write him off, seeing as how our second overall pick T has yet to break out. Probably needs some growing up. I wonder how his actual technique is. Conditioning you can fix, to some extent.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Scherff is also being mentioned as being kicked inside to OG ,as he fits better .... So there is another "high draft pick" LT that is being moved to OG already.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
As the guys are saying- awful early to write him off. He's just out of condition. That said - I said at the combine on here that there was something in his body shape I didn't like. Lots of fat.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Scherff is also being mentioned as being kicked inside to OG ,as he fits better .... So there is another "high draft pick" LT that is being moved to OG already.

Wasn't Scherff always a RT/OG prospect though?

Our own tackle had to move inside as well, so it's really early.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It was Flowers for me...and, seems only his injury has slowed his move to LT....And he's truly a monster.& Donovan Smith ..Bunch of young bucks were saying Scherff...Peat....and anyone that saw Pea'ts lower body (jiggly meat, way too big calves, 0 muscle tone) should know that he wasn't an elite athlete. Plus, much like Baylor and Jason Smith, I'm not messing with a Stanford Cardinal lineman after this Jonathon Martin fiasco....Serious....I take raw power & athleticism over technique every day...I mean, just check out the guys that go to the HOF....yeah you have a few technicians, but most of the linemen are physical & athletic men, that are mean & nasty....

I will add, I think Scherff will do well at OG...And Humphries will do well at RT or LT...

These last few drafts, the tackles have really been a crap shoot...That Armstead guy at NO, the dude the Eagles drafted (Lane Johnson) are some of the truly good looking tackles...Mathews was getting beat like a drum....On hardknocks, I felt sorry for him going against #99 of the Texans....He's probably a RT or OG....Fischer & Jockel....look like garbage...I'd be terrified if I was their QB

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Our own tackle had to move inside as well
you mean, was forced to because Jake Long was probowl this...yada yada, veteran that....That was silly...Cause G-Rob has excellent agility for a man his size...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As the guys are saying- awful early to write him off. He's just out of condition. That said - I said at the combine on here that there was something in his body shape I didn't like. Lots of fat.

Barrett Jones comes to mind of similar physique being flabby. Hopefully being his 3rd year he's build himself up solid.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah, LT is hard to play.

We should be thankful Greg Robinson has the confidence of the coaches to keep playing there.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Awful early to write him off, seeing as how our second overall pick T has yet to break out. Probably needs some growing up. I wonder how his actual technique is. Conditioning you can fix, to some extent.

Well just based on Conditioning we saw our OT taken so much lower than Peat lose 70 lbs of fat and add some meaningfull muscle mass as his conditioning is not in question nor his effort as he even stays after practice just to work reps moving off the line as he at least realizes just how far the change from college to the Pro's is gonna be and Chris Long is saying some very good things about Havenstein and the fact he will be our guy in time this year. I agree if we keep the heat on from our awesome front 4 on the DL Rob Havenstein if not injured will run block as well as anyone we have and is still having his occasional miss by some great pass rushers. Peat may have more of a feeling of entitlement being taken so high. I don't think he has put in the work.

Havenstein is working to make the team first then take things step by step from there. I love his mindset a TON over Peat and his GOD given size. Both need work on speed rushers. I think we did awesome in our top two taken OL (Havenstein and Brown). I wanted Penn State's OT myself but Havenstein has shown me he will do everything humanly possible to change his body to a Pro OT body. Now he is showing me he will put in the time to learn this offense and be someone that does'nt stick out as a weakness. Run blocking is really looking good and an occasional miss with our PB speed rushers. Not getting bull rushed either once the pads came on. A true lunch pail guy with the right head on his shoulders. So far his length of time playing at this one spot is paying off. Great scouting as with J. Brown moving inside to OG from Louisville. Its our Center spot I'm most concerned with at this time. Maybe things will settle with pre-season games . I sure hope so. Rob is not our biggest worry by no means.

Watching Rob very closely and all I've seen that makes me worry is his hands on hips late in practice as J. Brown is too. Its just such a MAJOR adjustment to the pro game and practices. It will only make him better.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think he should be written off as a useful NFL player - but his value as a draft pick has plummeted. First, part of the value of a draft pick is being paid less than a veteran for doing the same job - if he's not in the lineup much of his rookie season because he's not in shape, that's wasted cap space, and one fewer season that he's a bargain.

Secondly, while conditioning can be fixed to some extent, poor conditioning not caused by an injury is evidence that he's just not a hard worker. Everybody in the NFL is very physically talented - it's very hard to actually succeed at a high level without putting in a tremendous amount of work in the weight room, which requires motivation to keep working when you're already in "good" shape, suffer a lot of pain, and get into fantastic NFL shape. His being so out of shape without an apparent injury makes it less likely that he will ever put in the amount of work needed to excel in this league.

I'm just glad that he's some other team's problem. Gurley's value is diminished by probably not being full time to start the season - but everything I've seen says that he is a VERY hard worker, and has a real chance of becoming a star.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes its sure does.... in hind site the passing on the ORT position would appear at the moment anyway as a very smart move by Snead/Fisher.

The top three OT drafted:
1st#5-OLT/ORT-Scherff, Brandon
1st#9-ORT-Flowers, Ereck
1st#13-OLT/ORT-Peat, Andrus

The Washington Post reports the Redskins are serious about potentially kicking No. 5 overall pick OT Brandon Scherff inside to guard. Scherff has reportedly looked "more comfortable" at guard than tackle.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10422/brandon-scherff

Brandon Scherff again worked at right guard, with Morgan Moses still starting at right tackle. Scherff appears to be making adjustments, as is Moses. J.J. Watt didn’t have the disruptive kind of day he had on Thursday. During 2-on-2 blocking/rushing drills, Scherff and Moses actually managed to combine to put Watt on his backside during one of their matchups.

Coaches really are intrigued by the possibility of this Scherff-Moses right side. Again, no final decisions are made. But they believe that they have a chance to develop into a formidable tandem. Yes, Washington spent a fifth overall pick on Scherff, and people will say that’s too high to take a guard.

Several veterans say that Scherff looks more comfortable at guard, where he is better able to better put his impressive strength to use. This isn’t to say that Scherff can’t develop the footwork to become a standout tackle in the NFL. But teammates say he appears to have less to worry about and is playing to his forte. Stay tuned.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ins-training-camp/?postshare=5351438974884390