Losing My Faith in Van Jefferson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I remember those posts. The biggest reason for the pushback was outside of Kupp, the Rams didn’t really have a downfield WR.
Atwell was still unproven, Skow is limited, and Nacua? Who knew?

The idea of letting VJ play out his contract was in line with the Rams’ approach to draft and recoup comp picks.

VJ is a #3 guy. We can see that. He has a chance to show more this season, but that will only increase his market value. He won’t be back.

As for drafting a WR next year, I have been saying that would be a potential use for that #1 pick, but that was contingent on the Rams solving the Edge void.

My interest in trading VJ was twofold. Most of his negatives have already been presented by other posters, so I see no need to repeat them, other than to mention his poor career catch %, but I also saw/see him as one of our few tradeable assets at that time which might bring a reasonable draft pick which could in turn be used for a needier position. When I first called for moving on from him the Rams had Kupp, Woods, VJ, Tutu Atwell, DeSean Jackson, Skowronek, Brandon Powell & Jacob Harris on board, ... and the idea behind bringing in OBJ had already become a hot topic. At this point I would indeed look to trading Van Jeff before the deadline so long as Kupp has returned to our starting roster, ... I believe we can get more for him by way of trade than for waiting an additional year and hoping his value rises as compensation to his loss in free agency.
jmo.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"You say you lost your faith, but that's not where it's at
You had no faith to lose and you know it"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jefferson lost his job today. Bank it.

Looking forward to more Skow and Robinson.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jefferson lost his job today. Bank it.

Looking forward to more Skow and Robinson.
I'd put Van, Akers and Hopkins on a bus with a one way ticket to palookaville
Give those roster spots to guys who are willing to fight.
I've been defending Van for a while now, and give up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd put Van, Akers and Hopkins on a bus with a one way ticket to palookaville
Give those roster spots to guys who are willing to fight.
I've been defending Van for a while now, and give up.
That interception where he let the DB move underneath him and win the ball was unfuckingbelievable. No way a quality wideout allows that in year 4. He is done here as a starter.

I don't hate the idea of cutting him because it would show a ruthlessness that does bring some advantage. But if they start him again it will send the wrong message IMO. His lack of quality in this game goes a lot further than that INT play too.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
He's had a few rough games but does bring some value to the table, even if he is replaceable. He's a JAG. I've been saying it for years. Nothing against him, every roster will have some JAGs to fill it out, but he is the type of player you don't sign to a 2nd contract and then never think of again or miss much.

He's clearly behind Kupp, Nacua, and Tutu at this point. I'd rank him below Benny Skow as well given how much of a swiss army knife Skow can be. I am bit surprised Demarcus Robinson has not been able to surpass him on the depth chart, but I am not present in the practices so who knows what the coaches are seeing. The advantage Van does have over Robinson is years in McVay's system and knowing the offense.

His unwillingness or inability (perhaps both?) to fight for the ball is getting really, really old.

muggmeister

Rookie
Cant say I'm losing faith in him because he never gave me a reason to have any faith in him to begin with.

RamWoodie

Legend
I am hoping he can change that , but to this point I have seen little evidence that he
he can be a true wr2 behind Kupp. What troubles the most is his lack of aggressiveness
in attacking the ball in the air and his lack of positioning his body properly against
DB's on 50'/ 50 balls.

Huge sure TD drop shows how poorly he can position himself at times.
Not sure if Nacua is able to play Jeffersons position , but IMO,
When Kupp does return I am hoping to see Kupp, Nacua , Atwell starting.

View: https://youtu.be/hj79HXMJ8Fk?si=zn1kduc2FeR6zsfJ&t=706

I was in his corner, but I'm still waiting and he's not a Comer because he has no "DOG" in him!

I don't think you trade him because you get nothing but perhaps a 7th rounder.

McVay has to sit him down and go heart to heart. After that, it's on him!!!

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
1695073534563.png

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Cant say I'm losing faith in him because he never gave me a reason to have any faith in him to begin with.
I honestly thought this would be his breakout year. WR1 with Kupp out. WR2 when Kupp returns. In a contract year. Now I would prefer Puka, Tutu, Skow and Robinson be ahead of him on the depth chart. Maybe even Tyler Johnson. I just don't see that intensity that drives the good players in him.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Did Robinson have any targets in the 49er game? I like what I saw from Tyler Johnson in preseason. Jefferson has to see the writing on the wall.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Did Robinson have any targets in the 49er game? I like what I saw from Tyler Johnson in preseason. Jefferson has to see the writing on the wall.

6 snaps but no targets listed.