Losing My Faith in Van Jefferson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
I'm ready to move on. I think Van/Skow are what they showed in the Super Bowl. I don't think either can step up to be that guy when the guy who is goes down in the big moment.

Van just doesn't have that dog in him and Puka/Tutu do. He's perfectly fine playing passive, taking what the defense gives him, and doesn't have that fight when the ball is in the air.. I think both those guys do a much better job of attacking coverages and despite Tutu's size I think he does a better job making contested catches tbh

jjab360

Legend
All because Jefferson dropped one pass? Guess what, Nacua dropped a pass in the same game that hit him between the numbers. Talk about an overreaction.
After over three years, you can't seriously think this is about one dropped pass? Even Kupp had a problem with a few dropped passes early on but he has always been agressive attacking the ball ever since he got here.

Van's hands aren't bad, but he is what he is now and that's a guy that DBs can bully in the big moments

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have to admit I am disappointed with Van's progress but Puka and Tutu more than made up for it. I surprised Shaw did not teach his son to catch the ball with his hands and not his body.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm ready to move on. I think Van/Skow are what they showed in the Super Bowl. I don't think either can step up to be that guy when the guy who is goes down in the big moment.

Van just doesn't have that dog in him and Puka/Tutu do. He's perfectly fine playing passive, taking what the defense gives him, and doesn't have that fight when the ball is in the air.. I think both those guys do a much better job of attacking coverages and despite Tutu's size I think he does a better job making contested catches tbh

I'm ready to move Skowronek to a Juszczyk-like role. He can clearly block, can clearly catch uncontested passes out of the backfield and split out wide. I feel that if we use him creatively, he could be a very good piece to the puzzle. I'm not saying he's going to be exactly like Juszczyk, but I feel he'd benefit. We used him creatively last year, so what's changed?

Van? Yeah, we're probably going to get a nice comp pick for him, if he's not dealt. I'm not going to lie; I'm very disappointed with Van, particularly since he's the son of a wide receiver and coach, but someone's going to pay him.

But my two - until Kupp gets back - are Nacua, and Atwell with Higbee and Davis Allen. I want to see Allen get a chance, and with Higbee's tendency to get nicked up, I bet he'll get that chance. Hell, maybe my dream comes true, and Tyler Johnson gets promoted to the 53 man roster (hopefully without a major injury preceding it).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All because Jefferson dropped one pass? Guess what, Nacua dropped a pass in the same game that hit him between the numbers. Talk about an overreaction.
I hear you, but Van has had some memorable drops in big games and that plays into their assessment. It isn't just this game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I was in Yarbs shoes this weekend vs SF I would mix Skow in there for Van 50/50 and tell Van if you want the job go get it.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It’s ok @CoachAllred the Rams still smile upon you. Say three hail Torry’s and find the path to forgiveness.

Ellard80

Legend
nah jefferson has been fucking up for a awhile... now...

i honestly dont expect much from him anymore... when he does produce to me is a pleasant suprise

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
nah jefferson has been fucking up for a awhile... now...

i honestly dont expect much from him anymore... when he does produce to me is a pleasant suprise
Check out the stats and you’ll find Kupp and Jefferson both drop 1 pass per 10 catches.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On one hand, Van did catch 4 of the 5 passes thrown his way so it's not like he's incapable.
On the other hand his career high in receptions is 6 and career high in yardage is 93, both totals were blown away by Puka is his very first start. So I can kinda see why some are losing/lost confidence in his growth

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is Van's 4th year. He shouldn't be dropping wide-open passes.

LOURam85

UDFA
I think Van plays pretty well considering he was getting the full attention of the hags defense. He made a couple of nice catches, the third and ten was crucial.

Yeah he dropped the one where he was wide open, that sucks but he still produced in the #1 role and pulled coverage from the other guys.

I don’t see Atwell bumping him when Kupp comes back. Atwell will be sinking fast and probably only get limit time behind Kupp, Van and Puka.
I disagree the way they talking about tutu being able to play every position on the field and the fact that he didn’t play in preseason I think he’s in line for a big year

LOURam85

UDFA
On one hand, Van did catch 4 of the 5 passes thrown his way so it's not like he's incapable.
On the other hand his career high in receptions is 6 and career high in yardage is 93, both totals were blown away by Puka is his very first start. So I can kinda see why some are losing/lost confidence in his growth
Damn he’s never got 100 yards

TexasRam

Legend
I don’t mean to shit on players but I have never been a Van Fan.Great guy but best as a #4 WR.

I have always felt he was holding the offense back.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Avila was arguably the best guard in the draft so it’s hard to mess up that pick.
In fairness, a lot of draft sites had Avila as ranked between 4th and 6th best prospect at G. Names like Mauch, Torrence, Skoronski, and Schmitz were ranked ahead of Avila.

Looks like Avila was a home run, though!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The jury was out for me when he watched the DB go up and get the INT in the Super Bowl. Since then he’s not done anything to change my opinion.

He’s a quality #3 which is fine but I’m not waiting on him to elevate his game anymore.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've taken a lot of flak for suggesting Van Jeff as trade fodder since the 2021 deadline, ... the Rams are in a good position to move on from him if some team suffers a WR injury and makes a reasonable offer. As things stand today, I can easily see the Rams drafting a LT & WR with their first 2 picks next season. Kupp, Nacua, Tutu, Skow, Robinson & Tyler Johnson are a very nice base to work from, then add a top draft pick to the equation.
jmo.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
The jury was out for me when he watched the DB go up and get the INT in the Super Bowl. Since then he’s not done anything to change my opinion.

He’s a quality #3 which is fine but I’m not waiting on him to elevate his game anymore.
Yep and you could see Stafford's frustration with Jefferson on that play and several other plays when he just stood there and watched the defender go after the ball

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Van Jefferson is a UF Gator which means he naturally will underperform. Thats what they taught him in college.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They went need this year OG, OLB, DT, QB and got a very good WR in the 5th. Next year, they'll go WR in the first round. I don't know how deep the WR class is considered to be after Marvin Harrison, Jr. but I've seen 6 rated in the top 50. With the haul McSnead got this year, I'd think WR would be a legit target in the 1st.

Kupp, Nacua, Tutu and a 1st rounder sounds like a solid plan.