Listening to SiriusXM 9:30pm Trade talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Agreed and nice post. Sure would be nice to see both Allen and Boom compete for starting jobs this preseason but if you're the guy responsible for stacking the roster for 2020 do you assume that will happen? Hell no.

Edwards and Evans btw had their problems. But one thing I do know with Edwards in particular is that dude is not easy to overpower like we saw with Boom/Allen. He battled some physical matchups and did pretty damn well for a rook. I also really like Evans so yeah there's room for hope. I'd just like to see a little more talent thrown to this group.

For sure Edwards and Evans have a lot of development needed, but my point is good players flash even with limited playing time. They competed every snap, and yes their physicality was evident and showed they belong. They won their fair share of 1 on 1s. John Johnson, Cooper Kupp, Evans, Henderson, Josh Reynolds. Those guys flashed as rookies, even if they were not consistent you could see something was there. Noteboom and Allen were completely dominated while starting and that came after sitting for 1 1/2 years prepping for their moment! They showed absolutely nothing.

I agree in a perfect world they could compete in pre-season, but both their injuries were so severe my guess is neither will be truly available until mid-season. And after what they showed last year IMO they're backup material at best. Also where do you think their confidence level is at, coming off their injury after getting dominated in their first NFL starting opportunity? I would be down for any OT or interior OL at 52 or 57. We have to supplement the line with a talent upgrade in the interior at least. We can have Evans play RT, or hope Hav has a bounce back year if he ins't traded, but what we cant afford to do is allow the interior pressure. And we need to get back to running the ball. Play action after play action last year with defenses not respecting the run and just dropping back into coverage was hilarious.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rookie? Why does everyone on this board think Noteboom was a rookie last year?? He wasn't. Bryan Allen, not a rookie either. Those guys both sat for 1 1/2 years while we went to the super bowl, learned from vets like witworth and sullivan, and had Kromer grooming them to take over in a year. Well their time came and they both fell flat on their face. Its actually a joke they were both so horrible after sitting for an entire year learning. Meanwhile, the actual rookies (Evans and Edwards) came in and outplayed them easily through the rest of the season.

Everyone putting serious stock in Noteboom and Allen contributing this year need to stop and think. They are both coming off SERIOUS injuries and played terrible last year while 100% healthy. So this year coming off injury, after a half season of getting their ass kicked last year, they're suddenly supposed to be quality starters? It wasnt just that they played KIND OF bad, they both got completely dominated while starting. The probability at this point is they're both busts and wont be starters for us, and we should plan accordingly. If one of them comes back from a serious injury as a better player then we have a backup. But expecting one of these guys to start is hilarious, they had their shot last year.

I never said anything about either one of them starting this year.
In fact, I never mentioned anything about Allen.

While I mistakenly called Noteboom a rookie, it was only because he had only started his first 6 NFL games last year. And out of position.

Evans played OT in college with 26 starts at RT. While Edwards performed better at OG, he had his far share of struggles, too. Either way, he was a better fit at OG than Noteboom as some scouting reports projected him as an OG.

Noteboom? He came to the Rams having never played or projected to play OG via any scouting report I ever saw. It makes no difference if he sat out one year. He started 6 games at a position, he had never played nor was a good fit to play. And he did so next to another young struggling kid in Allen.

I don't know if he'll pan out of not in the end. But, one has to see that the light doesn't come on for these kids at the same time and it should take more than 6 games watching a kid play, out of position, to make a final determination. There are NFL starting OLinemen who were even on practice squads for a couple years before they blossomed into quality starters.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah and the main thing for me at least is compare him to the 7th guy on the OT list in most drafts and he's gonna look real damn good. I don't think it's a stretch to say he might be a Bakhtiari type, or functional LT as they say.

And going back to the Rams this is why I think the window for a "LT of the future" is our round 2 picks. When you have teams looking at Cleveland early round 2 it insinuates that we won't have a shot at a dev LT type. But what if one of those guys, one the Rams think has a chance to be a LT, is there at 52. Well in that scenario it's hard to get angry about taking him.

BTW all that aside I don't think Snead will take a LT of the future here. I don't think he's a long term vision type guy. I expect him to try to maximize wins for 2020 and ensure his job is safe.

This actually seems like a pretty good year to look for a LT of the future in the middle rounds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This actually seems like a pretty good year to look for a LT of the future in the middle rounds.
It's a fantastic class no doubt. So I don't disagree but even in this class trying to get one with let's say one of our round 3 picks is a lot riskier than getting a Center or RB, even some of the edges with our 3a pick.

We'll see how it goes. Obviously it's a big need, not sexy but a big need no way around it.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I never said anything about either one of them starting this year.
In fact, I never mentioned anything about Allen.

While I mistakenly called Noteboom a rookie, it was only because he had only started his first 6 NFL games last year. And out of position.

Evans played OT in college with 26 starts at RT. While Edwards performed better at OG, he had his far share of struggles, too. Either way, he was a better fit at OG than Noteboom as some scouting reports projected him as an OG.

Noteboom? He came to the Rams having never played or projected to play OG via any scouting report I ever saw. It makes no difference if he sat out one year. He started 6 games at a position, he had never played nor was a good fit to play. And he did so next to another young struggling kid in Allen.

I don't know if he'll pan out of not in the end. But, one has to see that the light doesn't come on for these kids at the same time and it should take more than 6 games watching a kid play, out of position, to make a final determination. There are NFL starting OLinemen who were even on practice squads for a couple years before they blossomed into quality starters.

I never said anything about a final determination. What I said was based on the evidence we've seen over his 2 NFL seasons + his injury, the probability is he cant be counted on to make a contribution this year. Him and Allen both. You can say he was out of position all you want, but again he wasn't a rookie and was being cross trained by one of the best OL coaches in the NFL, and learning from NFL vets for 18 months. He didn't have to be a stud guard, but serviceable maybe? Someone that looked like they belong on a NFL field? He got dominated physically a lot, you think that goes away if hes at OT? I sure hope he gets healthy and pans out, but this is a good draft for OL and we shouldn't pass on solid OL prospects because we "anticipate" noteboom filling a need this year. He probably wont, so let him try to win a backup spot and compete once he's healthy, but we need to improve our starting talent on the OL thats all that matters.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a fantastic class no doubt. So I don't disagree but even in this class trying to get one with let's say one of our round 3 picks is a lot riskier than getting a Center or RB, even some of the edges with our 3a pick.

We'll see how it goes. Obviously it's a big need, not sexy but a big need no way around it.

Yeah, I'm inclined to wait and see on Noteboom. But if we feel we must, I'd wait until the latter parts of the 3rd and earlier parts of the 4th. There will be guys like Matt Peart, Saahdiq Charles, Ben Bartch, Prince Tega Wanogho, Lucas Niang, etc. available (not all but a few).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I'm inclined to wait and see on Noteboom. But if we feel we must, I'd wait until the latter parts of the 3rd and earlier parts of the 4th. There will be guys like Matt Peart, Saahdiq Charles, Ben Bartch, Prince Tega Wanogho, Lucas Niang, etc. available (not all but a few).
Some of which have a chance to be very good at Guard for a year or two as well. Prince scares me with his injuries though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I never said anything about a final determination. What I said was based on the evidence we've seen over his 2 NFL seasons + his injury, the probability is he cant be counted on to make a contribution this year. Him and Allen both. You can say he was out of position all you want, but again he wasn't a rookie and was being cross trained by one of the best OL coaches in the NFL, and learning from NFL vets for 18 months. He didn't have to be a stud guard, but serviceable maybe? Someone that looked like they belong on a NFL field? He got dominated physically a lot, you think that goes away if hes at OT? I sure hope he gets healthy and pans out, but this is a good draft for OL and we shouldn't pass on solid OL prospects because we "anticipate" noteboom filling a need this year. He probably wont, so let him try to win a backup spot and compete once he's healthy, but we need to improve our starting talent on the OL thats all that matters.

Ok. You didn't say final determination.
And I didn't mention Allen previously or say anything about Noteboom starting this year either. So we are even.

The injury is a wildcard. Neither of us know where these guys are or will be this summer. But, if healthy, I question any probability on the outcome of any player who has only had limited snaps playing his natural position.

Yes. He was below average at guard. But, my guess is that most guards would be below average at OT, too. Why? Different skill sets for different positions. All players aren't capable of filling all positions (There are even some centers in this draft that are centers only and will look just as bad if asked to play elsewhere).

And my guess is that it would be less far less likely that Noteboom would be physically dominated playing a position he is comfortable playing against smaller, quicker edge rushers vs. playing a position he's never played before vs. bigger, more physical DTs.

BTW, Methinks you overrate Kromer being one of the best OLine coaches in the NFL. His greatest success came in New Orleans where he inherited two VETERAN stud OGs in Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks with a vet free agent C in Jonathan Goodwin. All blocking for a future Hall of Famer in Brees who gets the ball out quickly.

Last year's success? A VETERAN filled OLine with Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan & Havenstein. What player has he obtained as a rookie and developed into a good player (not just solid) over the past few years? While we hope it will be players with RamsHorns this year and beyond, the only one I can think of is former 1st Round OG Kyle Long.

And I find it hard to believe that it was McVay who forced him to put Noteboom and then Demby out there in front of Edwards and Evans. Or who keeps sticking Blythe at guard.

In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if he must have VETERANS or 1st round talents to be successful. Which is probably why any rookie that's drafted will probably be sitting on the bench this year behind someone already on the roster anyway.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
If Rams decide to trade up I hope its for a LT...cough, cough...Josh Jones...cough, cough...

If you thought our o line was bad last year (pre Noteboom and Allen injury) imagine it without Whit...because thats what it will look like in 2021/2022 (dude will never play out that contract)...A declining and aging whitworth is by far our best olineman...

I dont think Edwards is athletic enough to fit the profile of what they want at LT (Evans might...) and anyone who wants to roll with Noteboom as the heir apparent is a braver man than I am...He has to prove he can stay healthy much less be grandfathered into the most important position on the line...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has to prove he can stay healthy much less be grandfathered into the most important position on the line...

what? prove he can stay healthy? he suffered a torn acl because allen pushed a rusher right into his exposed leg.

all he has to prove is that he can be an effective tackle. which he did when he was a rookie. last season was fubar for him but maybe the rams will stick to using him as a tackle and let him grow into that position.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
what? prove he can stay healthy? he suffered a torn acl because allen pushed a rusher right into his exposed leg.

all he has to prove is that he can be an effective tackle. which he did when he was a rookie. last season was fubar for him but maybe the rams will stick to using him as a tackle and let him grow into that position.

Gonna go ahead and agree to disagree with him "proving himself" an effective tackle considering he only played 70 something snaps in 2018...

However, i'm clearly no expert and would be extremely excited to see him successfully step in for Whit...I'm just not taking it as a given at this point...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gonna go ahead and agree to disagree with him "proving himself" an effective tackle considering he only played 70 something snaps in 2018...

However, i'm clearly no expert and would be extremely excited to see him successfully step in for Whit...I'm just not taking it as a given at this point...

yeah, nothing is a given in this sport.

but at least they can let him sit behind whit now and allow him to become the best tackle he can be. i don't see them using him as a guard ever again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I cant find where I read it but a few weeks ago I read that the Rams showed a lot of interest in Sadhiq Charles.

NFL teams really like Ezra Cleveland's pass protection. If you are looking at the essential part of an OLT it is pass protection. He's rising up draft boards ( or was always high on draft boards) because of his excellent pass protecting ability. As a run blocker he has a lot to work on.

Then there is this: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/04/browns-eyeing-ol-ezra-cleveland

Browns Eyeing OL Ezra Cleveland?

April 16th, 2020 at 2:12pm CST by Zach Links

“Buzz is building” around the Browns and offensive lineman Ezra Cleveland, according to NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport (on Twitter). The Browns could consider a trade back in the first round, allowing them to take the big man out of Boise State.
[RELATED: No Truth To Browns/OBJ Talk]
At 6’6″ and 300+ pounds, Cleveland has been moving up the boards over the past couple of months. At the combine, he impressed in his on-field drills, bringing him closer to the top tier of offensive lineman in this year’s class.
Jedrick Wills, Mekhi Becton, Tristan Wirfs, and Andrew Thomas figure to be the first tackles selected, but Cleveland has also made a case to be an early pick. NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein lauds Cleveland’s quick feet and ability to accelerate, skills that could allow him to thrive in the Browns’ multi-faceted offense. At the same time, the draft guru notes that Cleveland is green in some areas – his play strength, punch timing, and ability to separate all need some fine-tuning.
With help from the NFL Research team, Rapoport notes that this would be just the fifth time that a drafted player shared the same name as his team’s city. The Browns also have some experience in that area. Since 1970, they’ve selected seven players with the last name Brown. And, in 1957, they selected the legendary Jim Brown. Soon, we’ll know whether Cleveland gets share a similar status.

I've read this elsewhere too. So if its accurate then Snead will be disappointed if he thinks he can trade up with the Browns to land Ezra Cleveland. Unless this is smoke by the Browns to try to raise the asking price. I really don't know but either way it sounds more and more like he will be gone before the Rams could possibly reach him.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I don't see the Rams trading up. We have some nice draft capital which could net us 4 solid players (and whatever we end up w/ from the 4th on.....). It would take one or more plus mortgaging the future to jump that far up. Just not worth it.