Listening to SiriusXM 9:30pm Trade talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Rams are considering to move up into round 1. I believe it was the 10th pick Browns for both 2nds. Target is said to be OT Cleveland

Not B.S. here. Just saying I heard this driving to work. It was on the update segment

So stay tuned Rams fans.

6. EZRA CLEVELAND, Boise State (6-6, 311, 4.97, 1-2): Cleveland is a three-year starter at LT. “He’s a really good athlete,” said one scout. “He’ll be a solid pass protector. I think he’s steady. He tested out really well. He’ll be close to the first (round). Tackles go.” Lightly recruited out of Spanaway, Wash. “He reminds me of some of the guys Green Bay has had over the years,” said a second scout. “(Bryan) Bulaga, (David) Bakhtiari, guys that kind of are just functional and get the job done. They’re not spectacular, just steady … if Cleveland didn’t have to interview people would really like him. But his interview was so low energy and just kind of flat line that it kind of just scared people. He’s so Steady Eddie. It’s not that he’s a bad guy at all. Cleveland … he’s Boise, he’s a junior, he’s got to get stronger. But he is athletic.” He played most of 2019 with turf toe injury. Led tackles in five categories: the 40, Wonderlic (30), bench press (30), short shuttle (4.46) and 3-cone (7.26). Arms were just 33 3/8, hands were a tiny 9. “Everybody’s high on him,” said another scout. “Why am I not that high on him? There’s a degree of tightness in his hips. Has balance issues. I question his lower-body strength. Not going to beat point-of-attack defenders. Finesse guy that uses his size. Size defenders knock him around. I question his lateral adjust. But guys like him.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm as big of a Cleveland fan as anybody but yeah not trading into the 1st round for him. No need IMO.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I’m certainly not wild about the idea. I’d rather use the draft capital we have to fill some holes that really need to be sorted out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm as big of a Cleveland fan as anybody but yeah not trading into the 1st round for him. No need IMO.
April 22nd....."...not trading into the 1st round for him" ~ OldSchool
April 23rd........."With the 10th pick of the First Round, the Los Angeles Rams select, Ezra Cleveland, Boise State."

BRILLIANT. The NEXT Orlando Pace! ~ OldSchool
@OldSchool

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Rams are considering to move up into round 1. I believe it was the 10th pick Browns for both 2nds. Target is said to be OT Cleveland

Not B.S. here. Just saying I heard this driving to work. It was on the update segment

So stay tuned Rams fans.

6. EZRA CLEVELAND, Boise State (6-6, 311, 4.97, 1-2): Cleveland is a three-year starter at LT. “He’s a really good athlete,” said one scout. “He’ll be a solid pass protector. I think he’s steady. He tested out really well. He’ll be close to the first (round). Tackles go.” Lightly recruited out of Spanaway, Wash. “He reminds me of some of the guys Green Bay has had over the years,” said a second scout. “(Bryan) Bulaga, (David) Bakhtiari, guys that kind of are just functional and get the job done. They’re not spectacular, just steady … if Cleveland didn’t have to interview people would really like him. But his interview was so low energy and just kind of flat line that it kind of just scared people. He’s so Steady Eddie. It’s not that he’s a bad guy at all. Cleveland … he’s Boise, he’s a junior, he’s got to get stronger. But he is athletic.” He played most of 2019 with turf toe injury. Led tackles in five categories: the 40, Wonderlic (30), bench press (30), short shuttle (4.46) and 3-cone (7.26). Arms were just 33 3/8, hands were a tiny 9. “Everybody’s high on him,” said another scout. “Why am I not that high on him? There’s a degree of tightness in his hips. Has balance issues. I question his lower-body strength. Not going to beat point-of-attack defenders. Finesse guy that uses his size. Size defenders knock him around. I question his lateral adjust. But guys like him.”

Read your post, I didn't see anywhere where this guy was productive and a good football player.

IMHO again just reading your post, and if that's all I had, and if the above is accurate, this guy should not go anywhere near the first round and if the Rams trade up for him they'd be crazy.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they were to do this, I'd say the Noteboom plan at LT is over. In fact, I think the only position he can play is OT. Can Boom be a RT?

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd hope for a different Tackle to be taken if they spent the draft capital to get into the first round.

I'd still love to see a Center in the second that Goff can grow with...Manning and Saturday scenario.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
Don't have to see a draft chart to know that no way 2 back end 2nd round picks are worth the 10th pick in the 1st round. Besides it stupid why go all the way up in the draft for an OT prospect who will be forced to play guard

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't have to see a draft chart to know that no way 2 back end 2nd round picks are worth the 10th pick in the 1st round.

they must have just finished watching the ridiculous ending of the draft day movie before coming on air for that show.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still don't see it happening but here's a good report:

McGinn’s NFL Draft Series: Scouts on top offensive linemen
Bob McGinn Apr 16, 2020

comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

This is the 36th year Bob McGinn has written an NFL Draft Series. Previously, it appeared in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (1985-’91), the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1992-’17) and BobMcGinnFootball.com (2018-’19). Through 2014, scouts often were quoted by name. The series reluctantly adopted an all-anonymous format in 2015 at the request of most scouts.
This is the second of our nine-part series. Today, we dive into the offensive line. You can find Wednesday’s piece on wide receivers and tight ends here.

Accentuating the positive is a way of life for analysts drawing a paycheck from networks that televise National Football League games — and from the league itself. Happy talk makes friends and generates hope while obscuring the stark reality of every draft day.
Jason Licht, the general manager of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, sliced well beyond the Pollyannish last week in a briefing with reporters.
“Across the league, it’s 50-50 whether any first-round pick is going to be a player or not three years down the road,” he said. “It’s 50-50 from the first pick down to the 32nd pick.”
When applied to the tackle position, regarded as one of the best in this draft, it means two of the four players expected to be selected in the first 15 to 20 picks figure to be disappointments, if not busts, by 2023. That grim analysis apparently is why GMs get paid the big bucks.
At least almost everyone is in the same pressurized boat when it comes to tackles.
“There’s no team that feels good about its two tackles,” an AFC personnel man said. “Maybe one or two teams in the league. Everyone needs to get better.
“Where are you going to get them? You’re not going to get a tackle in the third round or the fourth round. If you want a guy, you’ve got to get a guy.”
Since time immemorial, the winners will be the two teams that pick the two tackles who can play and the losers will be the two teams that pick the two tackles who can’t, at least according to Licht’s viewpoint that is widely shared in the league. The prospects/suspects presumably at the head of the class, in alphabetical order, are Louisville’s Mekhi Becton, Georgia’s Andrew Thomas, Alabama’s Jedrick Wills and Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs. (Wirfs is ranked below in our Guard category).
“It has talent, but it has questions,” the AFC exec said of the tackle group. “Andrew Thomas had a couple average games late in the season but early played really well. Wirfs is physically gifted, but it doesn’t always translate. With Becton, consistency is the question. Wills, I think he could play left tackle, but that’s going to take some time.”
An AFC personnel director rated Wills No. 1 because he sees him as a complete player. As for the others, he said, “Wirfs has unbelievable athleticism but needs to finish a little better.
“If Becton is motivated enough he can be the best of the group. But he’s going to have to find the work ethic, drive and the coachability that NFL teams will demand.
“Thomas is athletically very gifted. He’s probably got to work on his anchor and his strength a little bit.”
Then there was this from another executive who underscored the crapshoot the draft is at every position.
“I think the tackle class is really overrated,” he said. “There’s not a great one, not a Joe Thomas, in the group. All these guys have their warts.”
Part of the problem is the top four tackles all spent just three seasons in college. Offensive line was the last position to see large numbers of underclassmen declaring for the draft. A general feeling persisted for years that offensive linemen needed as much physical maturation as possible before going pro.
In 2000, just two of the top offensive linemen were juniors. Marvel Smith, a tackle from Arizona State, and Cosey Coleman, a guard from Tennessee, were taken in the second round. In 2010, just three of the top 10 vote-getters in my poll of the top offensive linemen were juniors. Two tackles, Rutgers’ Anthony Davis and Iowa’s Bryan Bulaga, were taken in the first round as was center Maurkice Pouncey of Florida.
In 2020, 10 of the top 11 vote-getters in the same poll asking scouts to rank their top offensive linemen regardless of position were underclassmen. The only senior, Houston’s Josh Jones, finished eighth in the voting.
“If you’re decent now it’s three years and you’re coming out,” one scout said. “Some guys redshirt and come out in two. Not a lot of them stay in college anymore.”
It’s almost reached the point where if a top player plays out his collegiate eligibility something must be wrong with him.
“They’ve been thrust up there as the unquestioned top four because they’re juniors,” said a personnel man. “The media just kind of does that with juniors. They just assume these guys are great prospects because they’re coming out early, and they’re not.”
My poll of 17 personnel people over the last two weeks showed four juniors packed together at the top with almost no separation. Scouts were asked to rank their top six offensive linemen, with a first-place vote worth 6 points, a second worth 5 and so on. Thomas led with 78 points and seven firsts but tight on his heels were Becton (75, five), Wills (71, two) and Wirfs (71, three).
“There’s no consensus with these guys,” an NFC personnel director said. “We have different orders between scouts, coaches. It’s kind of your flavor. You probably will get six tackles (in the first round) but there’s only four you feel good about. Then it falls off.”
There have been only two instances in my polling over the last 12 years in which the vote for the best offensive linemen had so little clarity at the top.
In 2017, Alabama’s Cam Robinson led with 59 points followed by Utah’s Garett Bolles with 57 and Wisconsin’s Ryan Ramczyk with 53. In 2009, Baylor’s Jason Smith led with 74 points followed by Alabama’s Andre Smith with 70 and Virginia’s Eugene Monroe with 64.
Ramczyk, the No. 32 pick, made first-team All-Pro this season for New Orleans whereas Bolles (No. 20, Denver) and Robinson (No. 34, Jacksonville) remain below-average starters. A decade before, Monroe (No. 10, Jacksonville) enjoyed a slightly better career than Andre Smith (No. 6, Cincinnati), although neither made a Pro Bowl, whereas Jason Smith (No. 2, St. Louis) saw his career ruined by concussions.
Before the draft in 2009, Chicago GM Jerry Angelo offered perspective that rings true today.
“One thing about tackles, the reason they go in the first round is the value,” said Angelo. “Not necessarily because they’re the 25th, 26th-best player in the draft. It’s the value of the position. That’s what speaks volumes.”
There was a precipitous drop off to fifth place in this year’s poll. That was Cesar Ruiz, who totaled 16 points. Others receiving votes were Austin Jackson (12), Isaiah Wilson (10), Josh Jones (five), Ezra Cleveland (four), Lloyd Cushenberry (four), Matt Hennessy (four), Hakeem Adeniji (three), Matt Peart (two) and Robert Hunt and Shane LeMieux, each one.
Meanwhile, at center, some teams like the group while others don’t. There seemed to be close to unanimity when it came to guard, where one team emerged from meetings with merely three draftable players.
“The bar is so low for centers and guards in the NFL,” said one executive. “People are just so desperate for bodies.
“There’s a premium on the D-line. So, if you have any degree of size of ability at all, they put you on defense. So you’re always getting the seconds for those interior spots (on the offensive line).
“The way the game is played in college, you’re in a two-point stance. It’s all hurry-up, no-huddle. If you can just engage your opponent, it’s a win. The line play is so bad. They want to run 99 plays and wear the defense down. If they can get three guys to stay upright in the middle, that’s good enough.”
Another evaluator drily observed, “They all get drafted if they’re offensive linemen.”
RANKING THE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

“I thought he was the most natural and productive of all these guys,” one scout said of Georgia’s Andrew Thomas. (Matt Stamey-USA TODAY Sports)
TACKLES
1. ANDREW THOMAS, Georgia (6-5, 315, 5.17, 1): Thomas started at RT as a true freshman and at LT the past two seasons. “I thought he was the most natural and productive of all these guys,” one scout said. “He rarely gets beat. Has long arms (36 1/8 inches), and he plays with ‘em. Redirects well.” Thomas is a three-sport athlete from Lithonia, Ga. “Never have an issue with him,” another scout said. “This kid will pick up the system immediately. Cannot say enough good stuff about him. He’s a legit starter right away.” Scored 28 on the 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. “Would like to see a more aggressive finish,” a third scout said. “Doesn’t move defenders with power. Considering his athleticism, he’s on the ground a little more than I expected. Will need to get stronger in his drive blocks. I have questions about his skill set.” Some scouts say his feet are more than adequate for a LT. Others disagree. “Struggles against speed,” a fourth scout said. “Some of the pass-pro deficiencies make you want to think he’s more of a right tackle. What keeps you in the boat with Andrew is that everyone at Georgia really says high things about his football makeup and character. It’s an intangible-based position. At minimum, you’ll have a really good, solid starter because he’ll do all the right things.”
2. MEKHI BECTON, Louisville (6-7 ½, 357, 5.11, 1): Started at RT as a true freshman and at LT the past two seasons. “He has the highest ceiling,” said one scout. “You shouldn’t have the initial lateral quickness at that size that this guy has. There’s some rawness there (but) he could be a perennial Pro Bowl type.” That personnel man tabbed Becton as the No. 1 lineman in the draft. So did this scout, who said, “You know what? You can’t get around him. He’s athletic enough to block DBs in space. He can bend his lower body. He has strong hands. One concern I had was he was knock-kneed. You can’t say he’s Trent Williams. He’s like Orlando Brown (6-8, 340, 5.68) of the Ravens.” Another scout compared him to former Viking LT Bryant McKinnie (6-8, 343, 5.38), the seventh pick in 2002. “But he’s tougher than McKinnie,” the scout said. “He doesn’t play hard all the time…but he takes care of business. He’s been as high as 388, as low as 350. Will fatigue a little bit. Trustworthy. A teddy bear. He’s a pretty squared-away guy.” He matured significantly as a player and learned to play through injury in 2019. “He’s not one of those overweight, lazy guys,” a third scout said. “He can move and he competes. He’s what everybody’s looking for.” He posted a Wonderlic score of 15, and his arms were 35 5/8, hands were 10 ¾. “Know why I have him fifth (on his vote)?” said a fourth scout. “Because he loves to cook and eat more than he loves frigging football…He can be a freak now. You could hit on him. You know what he is? He’s Trent Brown (6-8 ½, 353, 5.26).” Becton is from Highland Springs, Va.
3. JEDRICK WILLS, Alabama (6-4, 312, 5.06, 1): Wills, from Lexington, Ky., improved as much if not more than any player in the draft last season, according to one scout. “He’s got feet, he’s got flexibility and he competes really hard,” said another scout. “Really good with his drive block. Square pass protection. Runs and pulls with ease. Really light on his feet. Pretty good in space. His height is OK.” The third-year junior played RT only, protecting Tua Tagovailoa’s blind side. “I think he does have left-tackle feet but I don’t think he’s a left tackle,” said a third scout. “You may try to kick him to left but people don’t know how hard that is, especially when you haven’t done it.” Two-year starter. “I like Wills as a right tackle or guard because he’s tough and plays hard, but he’s not a left tackle,” another scout said. “He needed extra time there.” Scored 9 on his first attempt at the Wonderlic, which teams traditionally have regarded as the most telling score, but he scored 23 on his second try. “We interviewed him twice,” said one scout. “He wouldn’t scare you off. I would say it (the Wonderlic) is not (a big concern).” He produced the best vertical jump (34 ½) of the tackles. “I don’t get the whole excitement with him, and I’ve watched a ton of tape,” another scout said. “I don’t think he plays very athletically. He’s not a finisher. He doesn’t redirect very well. Not a strong, tough guy. He worked out well. I just don’t see the movement, finish, talent of a first-round guy.”
4. AUSTIN JACKSON, USC (6-5, 322, 5.08, 1-2): Jackson is a third-year junior with two seasons as the starter at LT. “As far as the way he looks – the frame, the long arms, the bubble, the bend – you’re, like, ‘OK, this guy’s going to be really good,’” said one scout. “But he’s a hands-outside guy, which is kind of hard to fix. With his hands going outside and bending at the waist, he had a terrible outing against (A.J.) Epenesa in the bowl game. He’s the boom-or-bust of this group. He’s either going to hit big and be a starter for a long time, or he’ll bust out and people will say, ‘He wasn’t any different than I thought.’ Very, very inconsistent.’” In July, he became a bone marrow donor for his sister Autumn. “He basically saved her life,” another scout said. “They corkscrewed into his hip, twice on the left and once on the right, to get the marrow out. When he recovered his hip flexibility was not what it used to be. He lost like 25 pounds. If you look at the early tape you go, ‘What the hell? This guy is thinking about coming out?’ He was getting beat on the edges because he couldn’t move laterally. It wasn’t until the seventh or eighth game where he was starting to feel normal. His best football is ahead of him. Awesome kid.” He posted a 25 on the Wonderlic and his broad jump of 9-7 led tackles. “He makes run and pass look easy,” another scout said. “Guy doesn’t work up a sweat. Has the feet to play left tackle. Needs a little work.” Added another executive: “One thing to think about, he missed all last offseason and now he’s going to miss this whole offseason. So the idea he’s got to get stronger … well, when? Next year?” Jackson is from Phoenix. His grandfather, Mel, started at RG for Green Bay in 1977-’78.
5. ISAIAH WILSON, Georgia (6-6 ½, 350, 5.37, 1-2): Wilson is a third-year sophomore with 24 starts at RT. “He’s just gigantic,” said one scout. “Size is his best friend. He is so big. Not top-flight foot movement but good enough for being that big. He’s strong and he’s tough. I doubt that (first round). That would shock me.” He played opposite Thomas, giving the Bulldogs possibly the nation’s heaviest line. “Like him,” another scout said. “He’s massive. He moves good. He’s got great length. I think he’s a starting right tackle and will play for a while.” Arms were 35 ½, hands were 10 ¼. “He is one tough, nasty guy,” said a third scout. “I guess you could play him on the left side and get by with him.” He posted a 28 on the Wonderlic. “He wasn’t ready to come out,” said a fourth scout. “He needed another year. He’s really susceptible to a good bull rush. For being such a big human being there’s some functional lightness to that guy. He looks like a big mountain of a man but he doesn’t play real heavy. You can take him down the middle.” Wilson is from Brooklyn, N.Y. Added a fifth scout: “He is big but he’s so bad technique. He ducks his head, he bends at the waist. But that (guy) is big. He could be a star or bust.”
AP_19287338805488-e1580147139417.jpg

“He’ll be a solid pass protector. I think he’s steady. He’ll be close to the first (round),” one scout said of Boise State’s Ezra Cleveland. (AP Photo/Steve Conner)
7. JOSH JONES, Houston (6-5, 319, 5.28, 2): Spent five years with the Cougars, starting at LT from 2016-’19. “He almost left Houston as a grad transfer,” one scout said. “He was fed up with all the coaching changes and no continuity or stability. He stayed one more year and it paid off for him. He’s a basketball-background guy. This was his real year of production and got on the radar of people. He’s athletic. Sort of technique-flawed. It’ll take him a little time to get it all buttoned up. He’s a serviceable, functional NFL tackle. You can get by with him, I think.” He posted a Wonderlic score of 14 and his arms were 33 7/8, hands were 10 1/8. “Understands how to use his hands in pass pro,” said a second scout. “Struggles to move guys at the point of attack. Inconsistent.” Didn’t start playing football until his sophomore year of high school in Richmond, Texas. “He’s not a kid you want to sign off on completely,” a third scout said. “He definitely showed flashes of talent. He’s a little bit inconsistent. Pass pro’s his thing. His run blocking is a little iffy.”
8. MATT PEART, Connecticut (6-6 ½, 318, 5.10, 2-3): He should be a starter in his second season, according to one scout. “He really surprised me,” said one scout. “I haven’t watched them (Connecticut) in years. They may be the worst program in the country. But he has great feet. He’s a natural left tackle. No punch as a run blocker. Better tenacity than strength. Heck of a pass blocker.” Born in Jamaica, Peart emigrated to the U.S. in 2002. “There’s good and bad with him,” a second scout said. “Probably the longest guy (36 5/8 arms) in the draft. He’s got a big basketball player’s build. But he doesn’t have any strength. He’s not a throwaway. If somebody gets him in a good strength program … He’s got interests outside of football, which isn’t typical for an offensive lineman. He’s not a bad kid; you just want to make sure he’s committed. He has developmental starter ability.” He started at RT in 2016-’17 and at LT in 2018-’19. Name me an offensive lineman for UConn in the last 25 years,” said a third scout. “Just name one.” Peart posted a Wonderlic of 20.
9. PRINCE TEGA WANOGHO, Auburn (6-5, 305, no 40, 2-3): Their calling card is the ability to negate the up-field rush, according to one scout, but struggles mightily against counter moves inside. “He’ll be a second-round pick,” another scout said. “He’s close to the first. He’s real quick. He’s got short arms (33 ½), which is concerning. Good agility, good movement, good effort.”He came to the U.S. from Nigeria in August 2014 to play basketball in Montgomery, Ala. “He doesn’t know that much about football,” said another scout. “He’s going to (need) some reps. He’s not ready to play right now. He’s not going to be an instant asset to you, but he will become a starter. I’d take a chance on him in the second round.” Teams expressed concern about an injury history that includes a tibia-fibula fracture in 2015 and arthroscopic knee surgery in January. Spent five years at Auburn, starting 32 games at LT. “Doesn’t play with urgency,” said another scout. “Constantly late out of his stance. Has issues at the second level. He’s got a little work to do.”
10. LUCAS NIANG, TCU (6-6, 315, no 40, 4): Niang made 27 starts at RT over the past three seasons. “He’s a big, talented guy, but he’s inconsistent,” one scout said. “You would like a guy as big as him to be a little more dominant. I don’t want to go so far as to say he’s not tough, but he’s not as tough as he should be for as big as he is. That plays into who the kid is. He comes from money. He doesn’t have to have football. Some of these guys are living for it. I don’t know if that’s the case with him. He does have starter talent.” Regarded as a distinct medical concern for several teams because of a labrum tear in his hip that required surgery in October. “He’s a strong, very physical right tackle,” another scout said. “He’s an adequate pass blocker but doesn’t have the feet to play left tackle. He’s the type of guy that plays.” From New Canaan, Conn, he’s lived in Switzerland and is fluent in French.
OTHERS, in order: Saahdiq Charles, LSU; Jack Driscoll, Auburn; Yasir Durant, Missouri; Charlie Heck, North Carolina; Alex Taylor, South Carolina State; Colton McKivitz, West Virginia; Trey Adams, Washington; Tyre Phillips, Mississippi State; Terence Steele, Texas Tech; Blake Brandel, Oregon State; Anthony McKinney, TCU; Drew Richmond, USC.
GUARDS

“You may start Tristan Wirfs at right tackle but eventually you’ll move him inside to guard,” one scout said.
1. TRISTAN WIRFS, Iowa (6-5, 320, 4.87, 1): Wirfs is a third-year junior from Mount Vernon, Iowa (pop. 4,000). “All-state wrestler,” said one scout. “May be a better guard. Strong, physical run blocker. Has enough size and strength not to get bull-rushed. Strong hips. You may start him at right tackle, but eventually you’ll move him inside to guard.” Made 29 starts at RT, four at LT. “After he tested at the combine people started saying, ‘He can play left tackle,’” said another scout. “There’s no verifiable evidence of that. He was not good at left tackle for Iowa.” He blew out the combine with guard-bests in the 40, vertical jump (36 ½) and broad jump (10-1). “You can play him anywhere you want,” a third scout said. “He’s really good. He had great numbers at the combine but other than blocking the inside power move all he needs is technique. He’ll be a star.” He posted a Wonderlic of 23. “He’s a better athlete than football player at this point,” said a fourth scout. “He isn’t your typical polished Iowa NFL-ready guy from a technique and awareness standpoint. He’s not ready to play. Where you draft him you’re going to have to plug him in and start him, and he’s going to lose you some games next year. But he’s obviously a phenomenal test athlete so some team will get enamored with that. The tape is really up and down.”
2. ROBERT HUNT, Louisiana (6-5, 323, no 40, 2): Started at LG in 2016-’17 and at RT in 2018-’19. “Tough guy,” said one scout. “Got some initial pop. He can strike you. Not an elite athlete. Got some waist-bend issues. But there’s a lot to work with.” His chances for an early selection took a hit because of a groin injury that required surgery in January and cost him the last seven games and post-season participation. “Had he been able to go to the Senior Bowl and showed out against tough competition he might be a guy we’re talking about late in the first round,” another scout said. “He plays with a mean streak. He’s powerful. He can move people.” His Wonderlic score of 13 was second-lowest among the top guards. “He’s actually much more football smart than you want to give him credit for,” said a third scout. “He’s going to go pretty high because he can play four positions. He’s a little bit rough around the edges. You don’t want to rush him. You don’t want to depend on him to do too much. Maybe third round, but tackles usually get overdrafted so second wouldn’t surprise me.” From Burkeville, Texas.
3. SHANE LeMIEUX, Oregon (6-4, 308, 5.12, 3): Started all 52 games at LG from 2016-’19. “That is a tough, competitive bastard,” one scout said. “It surprised me. I wouldn’t think coming out of the Oregon offense there would be a guy like this from what they do. But this guy’s mean. He’s limited athletically a little bit. He’s got straight-line speed but some stiffness. Once you get him out in space he struggles a little bit. He’s more of a power-game player.” Short arms (32 ¼), relatively smaller hands (9 ½). Two scouts said he reminded them of Richie Incognito. “Just style of play, nasty, strong hands, sturdy in pass pro — not all the other stuff (with Incognito),” said one. “Not the most agile in space. Grit, finishing to the whistle, that’s him. Realistically, he’ll probably go third, fourth round. Wherever he goes, I think he’s a starter.” He’s from Yakima, Wash. “Sort of a meat-and-potatoes guard,” said a third scout. “Probably a one-spot guy. You can’t move him all over the place. He’s solid. He’ll be an NFL starter.”
4. JONAH JACKSON, Ohio State (6-3 ½, 306, 5.26, 3): Jackson started for 1 ½ seasons before graduating from Rutgers and playing a final season at the other end of the Big Ten standings as a grad transfer. “You walked on the field at Ohio State and looked at the offensive linemen and you could pick out the guy from Rutgers right away,” said one scout. “He’s got a horrible body. He’s a little bit behind having been at Rutgers. The beginning-of-the-year film wasn’t as good in a new scheme. But then, by the end of the year, he was playing well, and he did well at the Senior Bowl. He doesn’t do everything pretty, but he’s a good football player. He’s a great, great guy, and he’s got some mean to him.” Started 16 games for the Scarlet Knights, mostly at RG but also three times at center, before moving to LG in Columbus. “I hate Rutgers players, but that Jackson kid, he’ll play 10 years,” said another scout. “He’s a tough (guy) and he’s smart.” From Media, Pa.
5. BEN BARTCH, St. John’s (Minn.) (6-5 ½, 309, 5.16, 3): Reminiscent of Ali Marpet, an NCAA Division III guard from Hobart (N.Y.) who was the Buccaneers’ second-round pick in 2015. Marpet is a five-year interior starter for Tampa Bay. “He’s the best small-school guy since Ali Marpet,” said one personnel man. “This Bartch kid may surprise everybody. They go down to the Senior Bowl and they either wilt or they fit in. He fit in.” Bartch made four receptions in two seasons as a backup TE for the Johnnies, located in Collegeville, Minn., before adding weight and making the move to LT in 2018. He also played tackle in Mobile but some teams say his arm length (32 7/8) is better suited inside. “He liked the weight room,” said another scout. “He put on a ton of weight (he was 280 last spring). It’s a small-college weight room, and he had to eat on his own and all that stuff. I think he did the most that he possibly could with his development. He’s an intriguing guy, for sure. He has the temperament that you want.” Bartch is from McMinnville. Ore.
6. DAMIEN LEWIS, LSU (6-2, 327, 5.24, 3-4): Lewis played two seasons of junior-college ball before starting all 28 games at RG from 2018-’19 for LSU. “Like him,” said one scout. “He is f—— powerful. He’s short, but he’s compact. The key with him is, will he be able to play center? He’s a really good Day 3 guy. He’s too short but he’ll end up playing for somebody.” His ability to play center might hinge on his ability to make the line calls. His Wonderlic score of 11 was low among the top guards. “Wasn’t crazy about him,” said another scout. “Typical big, slow guy. Competes. Wasn’t much there.” Lewis is from Canton, Miss.
7. JOHN SIMPSON, Clemson (6-4, 320, 5.26, 4): Simpson backed up for two years before starting all 29 games at LG in 2018-’19. “There are some flashes of him controlling or pressing out defensive linemen but also inconsistencies,” said one scout. “Lacks true explosive power off the ball and shock on contact.” Weighed 336 a year ago. “He’s tough but he has no feet,” said a second scout. “Clemson’s offensive line, with the exception of the (sophomore) left tackle, was not good.” Had the most bench-press reps (34), the longest arms (34 1/8) and the biggest hands (11 ¼) among the top guards. “He did just enough to keep you interested,” said a third scout. “Problem is, he’s a guard only. That reduces his value.” From Charleston, S.C.
8. HAKEEM ADENIJI, Kansas (6-4 ½, 301, 5.18, 4): Four-year starter at LT. “I like that guy,” one scout said. “He’s developed a lot over the last two years and has more to go. Maybe the volatility of that program has held him back a little bit. He had four different offensive line coaches during his time there. Smart kid, good kid, good athlete, has the right size, has the right feet, has the right length (33 ¾ arms). I think he’ll start out at guard, but ultimately I think he’d be better as a tackle because he’s more long and athletic than strong and stout.” His Wonderlic score of 34 led the top-10 guards and he had a strong week at the Senior Bowl. “I don’t like him,” said another scout. “Small-boned athlete. Not a very strong player. Hips get high in pass protection. Wish I saw better control of his body. Doesn’t always finish. … He just kind of creeps around and gets in the way. He’d be an oozer, too.” From Garland, Texas.
9. KEVIN DOTSON, Louisiana (6-4, 313, no 40, 4-5): Dotson wasn’t invited to the combine. “He’s very intriguing,” said one scout. “He’s going to be one of the first non-combine guys taken. He’s physical. He doesn’t give up any pressure. One of the more productive players in that conference (Sun Belt).” He started 52 of 53 games at RG. Dotson, who’s from East Iberville, La., is the son of a high school coach. His two uncles, DT Alvin McKinley and FB Dennis McKinley, were drafted in the middle rounds and had substantial NFL careers. Short arms (32 ½) but big hands (10 5/8). “He’s got stiff ankles,” another scout said. “Non-athletic power guard. Phone-booth kind of player. He might be a late pick.”
10. LOGAN STENBERG, Kentucky (6-6, 317, 5.34, 4-5): Stenberg was a three-year starter at LG. “Remember Joe Jacoby and Conrad Dobler, guys like that?” one scout said. “He’s an old-time player. They just want to get in the dirt. I’m sure if he doesn’t get 60 pins a game he’s had a bad game. Tough, nasty, mauler type. Questionable lateral quickness and change of direction. I don’t like this guy as an athlete, but I like him as a player. These guys line up and play.” He has short arms (32 ½) and was heavily penalized, but he’s durable. Another scout calls Stenberg, from Madison, Ala, a “country boy … he has a pickup truck, chews tobacco. Mother’s a teacher, father’s retired Army lieutenant colonel. Has a farm now and raises cattle. Smart kid.”
OTHERS, in order: Ben Bredeson, Michigan; Netane Muti, Fresno State; Tremayne Anchrum, Clemson; Michael Onwenu, Michigan; Cameron Clark, Charlotte; Jon Runyan, Michigan; John Molchon, Boise State; Solomon Kindley, Georgia; Kyle Murphy, Rhode Island; Cordel Iwuagwu, TCU; Simon Stepaniak, Indiana.

“I think he’s going to be a Pro Bowl center,” one scout said of Michigan’s Cesar Ruiz. (Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)
CENTERS
1. CESAR RUIZ, Michigan (6-2 ½, 307, 5.11, 1-2): Ruiz started five games at RG as a true freshman and then all 26 at center the past two seasons before declaring a year early. “I think he’s going to be a Pro Bowl center,” said one scout. He had a long afternoon against Alabama’s Raekwon Davis in the Citrus Bowl, according to one scout. “He’s like a (Garrett) Bradbury,” the scout said. “He’s really going to be excellent for a zone team because he’s so quick. Really got to the second level. Only negative I had was the strength thing. He just had OK strength. He’ll have problems like Bradbury has problems, but he can do all the stuff that Bradbury did.” Led the centers in vertical jump (33), broad jump (9-5), bench press (28) and hand size (11). His arms were 33 1/8. “He’s the top center,” said a third scout. “Right at prototype from the size and the length. He’s got good feet and movement skills. Smart, strong, good hands.” He posted a Wonderlic score of 21. “We have some division on him,” said a fourth scout. “I think he will be a starter. I don’t know if he’ll be a win-with starter. I don’t think he’s a great athlete. He is strong, really strong naturally. He didn’t measure as big as we thought he’d be. He’s better than Mason Cole as a center. He wasn’t a guy that excited me, but there’s only 32 centers.” Ruiz is from Camden, N.J.
2. LLOYD CUSHENBERRY, LSU (6-3, 312, 5.28, 2-3): Cushenberry, from Carvilla, La., is a fourth-year junior and a two-year starter. “He’ll be a Pro Bowl center,” said one scout. “His wingspan (84 ¼ inches) is the longest I’ve ever seen on a center. Phenomenal kid. Held his own against (Javon) Kinlaw in the one-on-one’s (at the Senior Bowl). He’s about the only one that did that. … Elgton Jenkins played great for the Packers (in 2019), but Cushenberry is a better prospect than Jenkins.” Made himself some money in Mobile. “I thought he was kind of a heavy-footed player,” another scout said. “At the Senior Bowl, he showed he had feet like a dancing bear. Now I think he’s going in the second. He’s got an anchor ass to him. Plays like a good athlete.” Longest arms (34 1/8) among centers, hands were 10 3/8. “He’s not displacing anybody (in the run game),” said another scout. “Can become a good depth player.” He posted a Wonderlic of 15. “He can anchor and has length,” a fourth scout said. “He does some nice things, but he gets beat too much when isolated.”
3. MATT HENNESSY, Temple (6-4, 307, 5.18, 3-4): Hennessy is a fourth-year junior and three-year starter. “He’s a really good technician,” said one scout. “Really light on his feet. He can bend. He’s tough. High intangibles. Not powerful, but not deficient.” Hennessy is from Bardonia, N.Y. and “people love him,” another scout said. “He worked out really well. Little bit physically overmatched but plays hard, gets after it, tough guy.” His Wonderlic of 34 was tops among centers. Arms were merely 32 ¼. “I thought he was fifth, sixth round,” a third scout said. “He’s not very big. He got tossed around. Their blocking scheme at Temple is everybody goes left or everybody goes right. Pass block, run block. You’re just sealing a gap. It’s not like taking somebody head-on all then time. I didn’t see him play to any of his numbers. He’s a good football player, but I think he’s a backup.”
4. DANNY PINTER, Ball State (6-4, 306, 4.88, 4-5): Pinter played TE in 2016-’17 (nine receptions) before moving to RT in the 2018 off-season. “He’s got 31 7/8 arms,” said one scout. “That’s why I made him a center. He’s going to make a hell of a center.” Center is purely a projection. “He worked out well,” said a second scout. “He’s a good athlete. But you’re talking about a guy from Ball State that you’re going to fall in love with as a center and you’ve never seen him play center?” He posted a Wonderlic of 27. “He can play center, which he’s been working at,” a third scout said. “Got all the intangibles for center. He’s athletic, super tough, really a competitive guy. Goes for the finish. Will take some work to develop him where he can play guard, too. He’s never done it. Awesome kid.” From South Bend, Ind.
5. NICK HARRIS, Washington (6-1, 302, 5.13, 5-6): Harris made 17 starts at guard in 2016-’17 before starting 25 games at center in 2018-’19. “He looks awful on the hoof,” one scout said. “He’s just a pear-shaped, bad-body guy. But you put the tape on and he’s a damn good player.” Harris is durable and smart (Wonderlic of 30). His arms were 32 1/8. “He’s fine, he’s a good athlete,” another scout said. “But I hope we play him.” Harris is from Inglewood, Calif. “I love him, but he’s small,” said a third scout. “He super smart, gets to the second level, all that. But it seems like every time he measured in somewhere he lost an inch. I think he’ll play because of who he is. I thought he’d be a second- or third-round pic but with those measurables it’ll scare teams off.”
OTHERS, in order: Keith Ismael, San Diego State; Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin; Darryl Williams, Mississippi State; Trystan Colon-Castillo, Missouri; Cohl Cabral, Arizona State; Justin Herron, Wake Forest; Jake Hanson, Oregon.
THE SKINNY
UNSUNG HERO
Trey Adams, T, Washington:
The course of his career was altered in October 2017 when he suffered a torn ACL in a non-contact injury. Then he needed season-ending lumbar disc surgery two games into 2018. Adams (6-8, 318) returned to start at LT in ’19 but wasn’t effective and then ran 5.60 at the combine. “He was a sure-fire No. 1 pick in ’17,” said one scout. “After that he was a shadow of himself. Even when he walks now he looks like he’s still limping.”
SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
Saahdiq Charles, T, LSU:
This is a first-round talent. Charles (6-4, 321, 4.98), a three-year starter at LG, has terrific feet, flexibility and body control. “Nobody ever beats this guy,” said one scout. “…But guys might get scared away from this dude.” Multiple failed drugs for marijuana led to a six-game suspension last season.
SCOUT TO REMEMBER
Joe Woolley: A long, tall Arkansan, he was a successful prep coach in Texas and then a scouting/personnel director for the Oilers, Saints, Eagles and Cardinals for about 20 years. One of Bum Phillips’ favorite people, Woolley worked under him in Houston and New Orleans before going to Philly and Phoenix with Buddy Ryan. In New Orleans, he was responsible for establishing an extensive film library that became a model for the NFL. Never one for a loss for words, Woolley loved to wisecrack at draft time. When asked about Wayne Simmons, the combustible linebacker from Clemson, not long before the 1993 draft, Woolley drawled, “Keep him sober and not beating up bartenders and he’ll be all right. He’s got a little shaky character in him but I’ll tell you what. I’d rather have them f—— that will fight than those that won’t.” Awaiting a heart transplant that never came, he died in 2003 at age 65.
QUOTE TO NOTE
NFL executive in personnel: “Here’s the problem. Those guys at (Louisiana) Lafayette and Temple and Houston and Florida Atlantic, they have never seen an NFL defensive lineman. They never have gone against one in those leagues. They don’t know what one looks like. It’s called level of competition. That’s why I watch SEC film. Even Big Ten guys play against better competition than they do.”

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Noteboom was the pick. The draft class of 2018 is looking bleak folks.

Draft[edit]
Main article: 2018 NFL Draft
RoundPickPlayerPositionCollegeNotes
2018 Los Angeles Rams draft
389Joseph Noteboom OTTCUPick from OAK
4111Brian Allen CMichigan StPick from MIA
4135John Franklin-Myers DEStephen F. AustinPick from NYG
5147Micah Kiser LBVirginiaPick from CAR
5160Ogbonnia Okoronkwo LBOklahomaPick from DEN
6176John Kelly RBTennesseePick from NYG
6192Jamil Demby OTMainePick from DAL
6195Sebastian Joseph-Day DTRutgersPick from BUF
6205Trevon Young DELouisvillePick from WSH
7231Travin Howard LBTCUPick from WSH
7244Justin Lawler LBSMUPick from ATL
Made roster † Pro Football Hall of Fame * Made at least one Pro Bowl during career

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It doesn’t sound like the Rams. So, I will say “no”.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
No way this is possible.
DDA84603-09C5-45E2-89F0-B6F6FCFC95ED.jpeg

The trade chart shows combined our picks are worth 710 and we are short 490 for the 1300 for the #10 Browns pick. That’s equivalent to the #41 second pick of difference. If we had a first I could see it, could be thesable. Maybe 2021 second as well?

I don’t see that happening, however I never thought in a million years we’d trade up to #1 and draft a QB.

That has to be only part of the story.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Draft may offer more to Rams in tackles than centers, guards
The positions on the o-line are next to each other but may represent vastly different 2020 draft classes

If the LA Rams end up wanting to draft a tackle of the future, they may not have the luxury of waiting until they are on the board at pick 52. Should they look to settle for any interior offensive linemen that they could get, the best bet may be to wait. And wait. And just wait until next year.

In looking at NFL.com draft expert Lance Zierlein’s positional rankings in this year’s class, it is obvious that the “two offensive line positions” (interior and tackle) couldn’t be more different. Zierlein of course ranks the wide receivers as the best and deepest position group with talent at the top and in the middle rounds, but number two is offensive tackle:

Like receiver, this particular position will play a prominent role in the draft’s opening night, with four no-doubt first-rounders and some other names that could be called within the first 32 picks. Jedrick Wills and Mekhi Becton are the two best, in my opinion, but Andrew Thomas and Tristan Wirfs are instant starters, as well. Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Ezra Cleveland and Isaiah Wilson are in a group that should go anywhere from the mid-20s to pick No. 40. Overall, there is a greater supply of potential future starters in this season’s draft than in the last several years.
The Rams have picks 52 and 57 in the second round, meaning that if they really did want someone like Jones, Jackson, Cleveland, or Wilson, they may need to consider making a move up into the 30-40 range if they could. A move like that probably costs LA their third round pick at 84 based on recent trades of similar moves up.

They could also move up for an interior offensive linemen if they feel there’s only one or two worthy of a second round pick. But if they miss out on any of the “better” options in this class, it may be better to just wait until day three or after the draft. In a year when tight end has often been called the worst class of its position in years, Zierlein had guards and center ranked even lower.

Welcome to the weakest area of the 2020 draft. This group could be bolstered a bit, depending on whether or not teams see tackles like Josh Jones and Robert Hunt as guards, but the fact remains that center and guard are an overall weakness of this class. Cesar Ruiz and Lloyd Cushenberry could step into early starting roles at center as Day 2 picks, but teams looking for guard play might wait until the third or fourth round before they even consider making a selection.

Ruiz and Cushenberry (pictured above) are oft talked about as the best in the bunch, as well as Tyler Biadasz. But in his yearly draft press conference call, Las Vegas Raiders GM Mike Mayock said that the biggest mistake teams make in the draft is “reaching for need.” We know that the Rams desperately need interior offensive line help, but is the 2020 draft class only providing “reach for need” prospects? Tackle wouldn’t appear to have same the issue and is potentially the better way for LA to go, even though they’re more settled at who is playing those positions next season.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we traded into the top 10 there would be much better options than the developmental Cleveland. Makes me feel like this is BS right there alone.

Hell, at 10 the ceedee lamb or Jerry Juedy might be there

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
yeah the numbers on the draft chart don,t add up so the only way I would believe this is if houston was at number 10.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If they were to do this, I'd say the Noteboom plan at LT is over. In fact, I think the only position he can play is OT. Can Boom be a RT?
Trade up does not feel or look right to me. Highly unlikely IMO.(n):unsure:

Nor do I think the Joseph Noteboom plan is close to being over but going into 2020 season the plan now has some heavy negative questions weighing it down. I can differently say to any plan to play JN @ either OG post is over! The Rams paid a sizeable salary cap $$ toll to modify the "2020 Starting LT Plan" where signing Andrew Whitworth to a 3 year, $30 million contract, including a $5mil. signing bonus, $12.5 mil guaranteed & an average annual salary of over $10 million. That contract will keep AW here for at least 2/3 rds of that contract.

I would not be surprised that when the 2020 season has come to an end that JN will have earned & won the starting LT post away from AW. JN had that kind of skills & abilities to start & play LT post before the injury & surgery.

Yes he can play the RT post...... when JN is back to full health he sure would be an upgrade in pass blocking to either Hav or Evans. JN was our top swing OT in his rookie season seeing limited snaps @ both OT posts in regular season. I see JN as being more LT than RT. There is no need to consider JN @ RT when the Rams have four RT prospects under contract now.

With the Rams signing of AW plus the fact that JN is under contract until March 2022 I see no emergency high demand for an starting LT & certainly no need for a swing OT type or RT type should be considered @ this time. IMO it would be much smarter & get more value out of this draft if Snead were to roll with what he has in draft selections.

If a LT Josh Jones is still on the board near our #52 pick then might consider making a trade up with throwing Hav in the mix with a 3rd day draft selection. The best would let the draft come to us & plan to take LT Prince Tega Wanogho (Auburn) with our 3rd rd #84 selection & develop him to be our starting LT in 2022.

Last edited: