Lions considering trading up for Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
That trade would be really expensive. Their 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year at a minimum I would think.

I could see myself doing that. Maybe.

I'd need more than that. I don't see any players that I'd really want at 10. They'd just be players that I'd have to "settle" for and I don't want to do that. This draft actually has some elite guys at the top and I don't want to miss out on one of them.

Alan

Legend
V3 having vision problems:
I'd need more than that. I don't see any players that I'd really want at 10. This draft actually has some elite guys at the top and I don't want to miss out on one of them.
Gilbert90/Dennard91, Ha-Ha93/Pryor91, Evans94/Beckham91, Lewan94/Moses92/Martin91, Donald93, C.J. Mosely93. I would love to have any two of those players (with the possible exception of Lewan) at 10 and 13. All of those players fit ESPN's definition of rare prospects:
  • 90-100 Rare Prospect
    Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Is a premier college player that has all the skill to take over a game and play at a championship level. He rates in the top 5 players in the nation at his position and is considered a first round draft prospect.
5 of those players are rated in the top ten (number wise) of this draft. When you add in the extra pick in the second round (10th) and an extra 1st round pick next year I'd be more than happy.

Although I'd really like to get Matthews.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
More signs point to Lions trading up for Sammy Watkins
Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2014

watkins.jpg
AP

If the Lions have genuine interest in trading up for Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins, they’re doing a bad job of hiding it. If they’re not interested, they’ve put together a potent smokescreen.

Regardless, the chatter is growing that the Lions could make a move for a wideout who would instantly give Detroit arguably the top one-two-three punch at the position: Watkins, Calvin Johnson, and Golden Taint.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press writes that there’s a “growing sense” in league circles that the Lions are willing to make the move. But they may have to move all the way up to No. 2 to get Watkins, and unless they’d be equally happy to take defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, they’ll need to wait until the Rams are on the clock in order to avoid being leapfrogged for Watkins.

If Watkins goes No. 1, he’d be only the third wideout taken first overall since 1984, when the Pats took Irving Fryar. Twelve years later, the Jets selected Keyshawn Johnson with the first overall selection.

Calvin Johnson, in hindsight, should have been the No. 1 pick seven years ago. Detroit’s interest in Watkins, if real, suggests that the Lions see the day coming when Johnson’s cap number exceeds his lingering abilities. Until then, the Lions could have the best trio of wideouts the NFL since the days of Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and Jake Reed.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams could fleece Detroit for all they've got, then turn around and trade back up just a few slots(with picks 10 and 13) and still get either Matthews or Robinson. We'd then have multiple picks in rds 2, 3 and 4 to draft with. Or just keep the picks. Its a crazy scenario but thats what we do this time of year!

SierraRam

Recreational User
Id go

10. Arron Donald
13. Justin Gilbert
26. CJ Mosely
35. Morgan Moses
44. Jimmy Ward
45. Jordan Matthews
75. Gabe Jackson
76. Austin Seferian-Jenkins

BOOM CHAMPIONSHIP

Very cool! first 5 guys start - maybe Jackson too

Alan

Legend
rdlkgliders with this explanation:
That's a real tough call I could have went the way of a CB at 13 but gambled I could get a Highly rated CB at 2-12 do to the depth that position offers and FS is top heavy with Pryor and Dix then it drops off a bit in my book. We certainly got exposed at FS and CB last year and a starter at each spot would be on my hit list along with OL and LB help. The 5 top CB's are all rated top 35 meaning they could be gone early second.
I see and agree with your comments about FS issues. But you didn't do the second part of your plan. The bolded part. Why didn't you keep to your plan instead of going with a DT? I like your plan OK but not accomplishing your second objective as per your plan was a mistake IMO. So that's why I'm interested. Why did you deviate from your plan?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
More signs point to Lions trading up for Sammy Watkins
Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2014

watkins.jpg
AP

If the Lions have genuine interest in trading up for Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins, they’re doing a bad job of hiding it. If they’re not interested, they’ve put together a potent smokescreen.

Regardless, the chatter is growing that the Lions could make a move for a wideout who would instantly give Detroit arguably the top one-two-three punch at the position: Watkins, Calvin Johnson, and Golden Taint.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press writes that there’s a “growing sense” in league circles that the Lions are willing to make the move. But they may have to move all the way up to No. 2 to get Watkins, and unless they’d be equally happy to take defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, they’ll need to wait until the Rams are on the clock in order to avoid being leapfrogged for Watkins.

If Watkins goes No. 1, he’d be only the third wideout taken first overall since 1984, when the Pats took Irving Fryar. Twelve years later, the Jets selected Keyshawn Johnson with the first overall selection.

Calvin Johnson, in hindsight, should have been the No. 1 pick seven years ago. Detroit’s interest in Watkins, if real, suggests that the Lions see the day coming when Johnson’s cap number exceeds his lingering abilities. Until then, the Lions could have the best trio of wideouts the NFL since the days of Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and Jake Reed.
They need more options to make great plays on crappy balls that Stafford throws out there.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Unfortunately by rd 2 pick 12 the 5 top CB's. Gilbert, Dennard, Verritt, Roby and Fuller were all gone.
I misread how early I would need to pick to get a top 5 CB. With the 5 best off the board I went Nix due to best player available and to add depth. I felt it was to high to pick from the remaining CB's at 2-12. The draft did not go perfect but not horribly either. Hopefully Richardson, Dix and possibly Nix would be starting early with McGill playing a lot and others contributing as well.
In the real draft I don't think the top 5 CB's will be gone when we pick in the second.

Alan

Legend
rdlkgliders running on empty:
Unfortunately by rd 2 pick 12 the 5 top CB's. Gilbert, Dennard, Verritt, Roby and Fuller were all gone.

In the real draft I don't think the top 5 CB's will be gone when we pick in the second.
I wouldn't be surprised if 5 were gone before our pick in the second. Where we disagree on is how good that 6th best CB is. I'm adhering to your plan and taking him with our third pick.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If they do a deal like that you have to have a 2nd trade in the works to trade back up. So if you get 4 high picks from the Lions over the next two years, if you only gave to give up one, a 2, to move back up to say 6, then it would be worth it, especially if they get a future #1.

I think it is critical they keep spreading out picks so the 2nd contracts of these picks don't come due at the same time. As it is they will have a tough time keeping the ones they hit on.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That trade would be really expensive. Their 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year at a minimum I would think.

I could see myself doing that. Maybe.
Yeah I'd do that and take their 2nd and our first 13 to trade up to 8 or so yielding two top 10's and an extra first next year

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Report: Lions may trade up for Sammy Watkins
9388.jpg

The Detroit Free Press passes along a "growing sense in league circles" that the Lions may be willing to trade up for Clemson WR Sammy Watkins.
Sitting at No. 10 overall, the Lions are currently positioned too low for Watkins, and are even likely out of range for Texas A&M WR Mike Evans, who doesn't figure to get by the Bucs at No. 7. Beat writer Dave Birkett calls the Lions "a team desperate to reverse its downtrodden luck." Lions brass dined with Watkins before his March Pro Day, and quizzed college teammate Martavis Bryant on Watkins during Bryant's pre-draft visit to Lions headquarters. "They just asked about how we got along and stuff like that," Bryant revealed. Detroit would almost certainly have to leapfrog Oakland (No. 5) to have a serious shot at Watkins.
Source: Detroit Free Press
Apr 9 - 8:13 PM

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Whatever keep the rumors going they can ONLY enhance the return we can get for the pick.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I wouldn't be surprised if 5 were gone before our pick in the second. Where we disagree on is how good that 6th best CB is. I'm adhering to your plan and taking him with our third pick.
Alright Allen, This ones for you.
I know you don't like McGill arguably the number 6 CB.
I will finish tomorrow.
Your Picks: Round 1 Pick 10 (DET): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (A)
Round 1 Pick 13: Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 5 (ATL): Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 12: Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California (A)
Round 2 Pick 13 (DET): Dee Ford, DE, Auburn (A)
Round 3 Pick 11: Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 12 (DET): Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman (A)
Round 4 Pick 10: Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU (A)
Round 5 Pick 13
Round 6 Pick 12
Round 6 Pick 38 (COMP)
Round 7 Pick 11
Round 7 Pick 26
Round 7 Pick 34 (COMP)
Round 7 Pick 35 (COMP)

RamzFanz

Damnit
Report: Lions may trade up for Sammy Watkins
9388.jpg

The Detroit Free Press passes along a "growing sense in league circles" that the Lions may be willing to trade up for Clemson WR Sammy Watkins.
Sitting at No. 10 overall, the Lions are currently positioned too low for Watkins, and are even likely out of range for Texas A&M WR Mike Evans, who doesn't figure to get by the Bucs at No. 7. Beat writer Dave Birkett calls the Lions "a team desperate to reverse its downtrodden luck." Lions brass dined with Watkins before his March Pro Day, and quizzed college teammate Martavis Bryant on Watkins during Bryant's pre-draft visit to Lions headquarters. "They just asked about how we got along and stuff like that," Bryant revealed. Detroit would almost certainly have to leapfrog Oakland (No. 5) to have a serious shot at Watkins.
Source: Detroit Free Press
Apr 9 - 8:13 PM

"Lions brass dined with Watkins before his March Pro Day, and quizzed college teammate Martavis Bryant on Watkins during Bryant's pre-draft visit to Lions headquarters. "They just asked about how we got along and stuff like that," Bryant revealed."

That must suck to be invited and quizzed about another player. That's like a chick being asked on a date and all the dude asks about is her sister.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
"Lions brass dined with Watkins before his March Pro Day, and quizzed college teammate Martavis Bryant on Watkins during Bryant's pre-draft visit to Lions headquarters. "They just asked about how we got along and stuff like that," Bryant revealed."

That must suck to be invited and quizzed about another player. That's like a chick being asked on a date and all the dude asks about is her sister.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Yeah, but Martavis Bryant just may be the "diamond in the ruff" in this story. I'd love to steal him around the 4th or 5th round.

Alan

Legend
rdlkgliders hitting the sweet spots:
Alright Alan, This ones for you.
I know you don't like McGill arguably the number 6 CB.
I will finish tomorrow.
Your Picks: Round 1 Pick 10 (DET): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (A)
Round 1 Pick 13: Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 5 (ATL): Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 12: Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California (A)
Round 2 Pick 13 (DET): Dee Ford, DE, Auburn (A)
Round 3 Pick 11: Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 12 (DET): Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman (A)
Round 4 Pick 10: Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU (A)
Don't you feel better now knowing we have one of the top CBs going into the season? :LOL: I love your first three picks and you even got a very good WR with our fourth pick. I also really like the Dozier pick up.

So you think we can somehow shoehorn Ford into our lineup other than on just a situational basis? I like the player but I'm not sure he's a fit for us. I don't know who was available when you picked but if Van Noy was still there I think I would have taken him instead even though I like Ford better as a player. Van Noy seems much more like a 3 down player to me. I did no research on OLBs though so maybe you're right about him.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014OLB.php
Auburn_logo.gif
Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn
Height: 6-2. Weight: 243.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

3/22/14: A medical issue kept Ford from working out at the Combine.

Ford was Auburn's best edge rusher in the Tigers' fast front seven. He ended 2013 with 29 tackles with 14.5 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. Ford has excellent speed off the edge with moves to get away from blockers. In the National Championship, the senior dominated Florida State's right tackle. He missed the first two games of the season.

While Ford is very explosive off the edge, he isn't big enough to remain at defensive end in the NFL. Ford will have to move to outside linebacker. In a 4-3 defense, he would have to play as a linebacker who rushes off the edge in passing situations, similar to Von Miller in Denver. Ford projects best as an edge rusher for a 3-4 defense.

Behind Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald, Ford was the most impressive defensive prospect at the Senior Bowl. Ford had a great week and continued his tremendous play in the game. All week, he used his great get-off and quickness to burn edge blockers in one-on-ones. Ford has the agility to drop his hips and juke tackles to the inside. He also has enough upper body strength to help him break the grip of tackles hands and use his speed to close in an instant.

8/14/13: Ford plays defensive end for Auburn, but he'll have to move to outside linebacker in the NFL. Ford had six sacks with 34 tackles and a forced fumble in 2012. He missed the majority of the 2011 season with a back injury. Ford recorded 11 tackles and two sacks as a freshman.

BYU_logo.gif
Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
Height: 6-3. Weight: 244.
40 Time: 4.71.
Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

3/22/14: Van Noy was solid at the Combine but was said to have impressed at this pro day.

Even though 2013 was a moderately disappointing season for BYU, Van Noy still made a lot of impact plays for BYU. He recorded 68 tackles with 17.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, seven passes batted and two interceptions. Teams also game planned for Van Noy to go away from him. He was solid at the Senior Bowl, but didn't do enough to help himself get back into first-round consideration.

Against Wisconsin, Van Noy had eight tackles with two tackles for a loss and an interception. He recorded six tackles and three sacks versus Georgia Tech. The senior picked off a pass and returned it 17 yards for a touchdown against Utah State. A week earlier against Middle Tennessee on a tackle for a loss, Van Noy knifed through the line to tackle the running back in the end zone for a safety.

Van Noy had a big impact against Texas, recording eight tackles with a sack. He also had a ton of other pressures and hits on the quarterback. In Week 1 versus Virginia, Van Noy racked up four tackles with two tackles for a loss. He also caused an interception while tackling the quarterback.

8/14/13: Van Noy is extremely explosive coming off the edge. He is a solid run-defender, but really excels in pass defense. Van Noy is a good athlete who drops into coverage well, yet he is still a phenomenal blitzer.

Van Noy has an excellent physical skill set with a lot of upside to develop in the NFL. He was one of the nation's leading sackers in 2012 with 13 quarterback takedowns. The junior also recorded 53 tackles, 22 tackles for a loss, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and five passes batted. Van Noy was the most impressive player on the BYU defense and that includes the 2013 NFL Draft's fifth overall-pick, defensive end Ezekiel Ansah.

Van Noy closed out last season with a game for the ages. He scored two touchdowns against San Diego State. On the first, Van Noy dropped into coverage and picked off a pass to set up a 17-yard touchdown return. The other touchdown came on recovering a fumble in the end zone.

Van Noy had 68 tackles, 15 tackles for a loss, seven sacks, three forced fumbles, three passes batted and three interceptions in 2011.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Don't you feel better now knowing we have one of the top CBs going into the season? :LOL: I love your first three picks and you even got a very good WR with our fourth pick. I also really like the Dozier pick up.

So you think we can somehow shoehorn Ford into our lineup other than on just a situational basis? I like the player but I'm not sure he's a fit for us. I don't know who was available when you picked but if Van Noy was still there I think I would have taken him instead even though I like Ford better as a player. Van Noy seems much more like a 3 down player to me. I did no research on OLBs though so maybe you're right about him.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014OLB.php
Auburn_logo.gif
Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn
Height: 6-2. Weight: 243.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

3/22/14: A medical issue kept Ford from working out at the Combine.

Ford was Auburn's best edge rusher in the Tigers' fast front seven. He ended 2013 with 29 tackles with 14.5 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. Ford has excellent speed off the edge with moves to get away from blockers. In the National Championship, the senior dominated Florida State's right tackle. He missed the first two games of the season.

While Ford is very explosive off the edge, he isn't big enough to remain at defensive end in the NFL. Ford will have to move to outside linebacker. In a 4-3 defense, he would have to play as a linebacker who rushes off the edge in passing situations, similar to Von Miller in Denver. Ford projects best as an edge rusher for a 3-4 defense.

Behind Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald, Ford was the most impressive defensive prospect at the Senior Bowl. Ford had a great week and continued his tremendous play in the game. All week, he used his great get-off and quickness to burn edge blockers in one-on-ones. Ford has the agility to drop his hips and juke tackles to the inside. He also has enough upper body strength to help him break the grip of tackles hands and use his speed to close in an instant.

8/14/13: Ford plays defensive end for Auburn, but he'll have to move to outside linebacker in the NFL. Ford had six sacks with 34 tackles and a forced fumble in 2012. He missed the majority of the 2011 season with a back injury. Ford recorded 11 tackles and two sacks as a freshman.

BYU_logo.gif
Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
Height: 6-3. Weight: 244.
40 Time: 4.71.
Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

3/22/14: Van Noy was solid at the Combine but was said to have impressed at this pro day.

Even though 2013 was a moderately disappointing season for BYU, Van Noy still made a lot of impact plays for BYU. He recorded 68 tackles with 17.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, seven passes batted and two interceptions. Teams also game planned for Van Noy to go away from him. He was solid at the Senior Bowl, but didn't do enough to help himself get back into first-round consideration.

Against Wisconsin, Van Noy had eight tackles with two tackles for a loss and an interception. He recorded six tackles and three sacks versus Georgia Tech. The senior picked off a pass and returned it 17 yards for a touchdown against Utah State. A week earlier against Middle Tennessee on a tackle for a loss, Van Noy knifed through the line to tackle the running back in the end zone for a safety.

Van Noy had a big impact against Texas, recording eight tackles with a sack. He also had a ton of other pressures and hits on the quarterback. In Week 1 versus Virginia, Van Noy racked up four tackles with two tackles for a loss. He also caused an interception while tackling the quarterback.

8/14/13: Van Noy is extremely explosive coming off the edge. He is a solid run-defender, but really excels in pass defense. Van Noy is a good athlete who drops into coverage well, yet he is still a phenomenal blitzer.

Van Noy has an excellent physical skill set with a lot of upside to develop in the NFL. He was one of the nation's leading sackers in 2012 with 13 quarterback takedowns. The junior also recorded 53 tackles, 22 tackles for a loss, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and five passes batted. Van Noy was the most impressive player on the BYU defense and that includes the 2013 NFL Draft's fifth overall-pick, defensive end Ezekiel Ansah.

Van Noy closed out last season with a game for the ages. He scored two touchdowns against San Diego State. On the first, Van Noy dropped into coverage and picked off a pass to set up a 17-yard touchdown return. The other touchdown came on recovering a fumble in the end zone.

Van Noy had 68 tackles, 15 tackles for a loss, seven sacks, three forced fumbles, three passes batted and three interceptions in 2011.

You are a smart man Allen, Van Noy Went one player later in my mock.
I took Ford because he rates out a little higher but yes more situational as well. I just thought that Williams could take him and mold him like a toy into another Pass rusher from the second wave behind the DL and in blitzes he could really be effective. Under proper guidance he chips away at JLD for playing time and relieves AO as well as playing in blitz packages.