Lions considering trading up for Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Lions considering trading up for Sammy Watkins
By Matthew Shovlin

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/16846662-lions-considering-trading-up-for-sammy-watkins

Wide receiver was a popular position in mock drafts for the Detroit Lions at tenth overall, but when the team signed Golden Taint to a five-year, $31 million deal, many figured that the Lions would use their first-round pick on a different position. The Lions, however, have ranked fifth, first, first, third, and sixth in pass attempts over the past five years, so they'll take all the receiver help they can get.

I currently have Odell Beckham Jr. penciled in as the No. 10 pick this year, as I feel that quarterback Matthew Stafford could still use another weapon in the passing game. A Tuesday report from Lions beat writer Dave Birkett, however, suggests that the team will be even more aggressive in their pusuit of a top-notch receiver prospect. "The Lions have put a lot of time into [Sammy] Watkins ... this spring," Birkett tweeted. "Trying to figure if it's right for them to move up and get him."

It's a very interesting report, as Watkins appears unlikely to drop past the Oakland Raiders at No. 5. I expect the Cleveland Browns (fourth overall pick) to have their sights set on either a top quarterback or Watkins, while I expect the Jacksonville Jaguars (third overall pick) to sit in the third spot praying that Jadeveon Clowney falls to them. As a result, the only probable trade scenario in which I can see the Lions having a shot at Watkins is if they trade up for the St. Louis Rams' second overall pick.

The Rams have been extremely open about their willingness to trade down from No. 2, as they did with the 2012 second overall pick that netted them an abundance of valuable draft selections (such as the No. 2 pick in this year's draft). The Houston Texans are not going to select Watkins first overall, so he is a lock to be available at No. 2 - if the Lions are willing to meet the Rams' demands to trade up, Watkins will be theirs.

The Lions won't have to give the Rams as much as what the Washington Redskins gave them in 2012 (three first-round picks and a second-round pick), but it will take a significant package to move up eight spots. What the Lions are now determining is just how much they will be willing to give up for a player who has been lauded as the best receiver prospect since, coincidentally, the Lions' own Calvin Johnson.

Head coach Jim Caldwell and general manager Martin Mayhew had dinner with Watkins the night before his pro day, and the electrifying pass catcher met with Calvin Johnson and Golden Taint on Tuesday. If he leaves a great impression on the organization, Watkins could be the primary target of one of the league's premier passing offenses. The thought of Stafford throwing to Johnson, Taint, and Watkins in 2014 is simply terrifying, and the Lions - who have not had a viable complementary pass catcher for Johnson since 2007 - could absolutely terrorize opponents through the air with that trio of receivers.

A lot of us want Watkins on our teams, but I think it's safe to say that we would all be excited to see what would happen if Watkins ends up in Detroit.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah but, we won't trade down to pick #10. Not a chance.

Alan

Legend
That trade would be really expensive. Their 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year at a minimum I would think.

I could see myself doing that. Maybe.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah but, we won't trade down to pick #10. Not a chance.
Never say never but I tend to agree. It would take the Lion's 1st, 2nd, and probably 3rd this year and maybe next year's 1st. They probably would rather gamble a little and try to deal with Jacksonville at #3 with a little less compensation.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Im all for it. Give us their 1st and 2nd and 4th rounder this year. 1st and 3rd next year. Maybe more if Snead can haggle with them good.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That trade would be really expensive. Their 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year at a minimum I would think.

That's about what it'd take for me to move down that far.

Sorry Detroit. Open the wallet then let's talk.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?

Not enough to miss out on the elite prospects. 1,2,3 this year and 1 next is what it would take.

Alan

Legend
Lewan might still be there at #10. Or Donald. Lewan/Donald and Ha_Ha/Gilbert"pryor in the first with an extra 2nd rounder plus the 1st rounder next year. Doesn't sound bad to me.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Everyone wants a elite player this year.
To me it would take more than the Bob G iii trade to make that deal.
We're going to get a very good player with the Lions 1st but still its a huge drop off.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Everyone wants a elite player this year.
To me it would take more than the Bob G iii trade to make that deal.
We're going to get a very good player with the Lions 1st but still its a huge drop off.
I think that is very fair, but I'd hate to drop out of the top 7 - 8.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think that is very fair, but I'd hate to drop out of the top 7 - 8.
I agree. The top 4 prospects can be all pro many times but after them it gets to be more of a cap shoot. To me the Rams have a lot of good pieces. What they need is a couple more elite players to put them over the top.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If we make the trade this is what it might look like when all said and done.
Your score is: 4956 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 10 (DET): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn (A)
Round 1 Pick 13: Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 12: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame (A)
Round 2 Pick 13 (DET): Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State (A)
Round 3 Pick 11: Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State (B+)
Round 3 Pick 12 (DET): Keith McGill, CB, Utah (B)
Round 4 Pick 10: Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU (A)
Round 5 Pick 13: Russell Bodine, OG, North Carolina (C)
Round 6 Pick 12: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California (B)
Round 6 Pick 38 (COMP): Jake Murphy, TE, Utah (D)
Round 7 Pick 11: Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming (A)
Round 7 Pick 26: Ryan Hewitt, FB, Stanford (A)
Round 7 Pick 34 (COMP): Denicos Allen, OLB, Michigan State (C+)
Round 7 Pick 35 (COMP): Brandon Linder, OG, Miami (Fla.) (E)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Your Picks:
I don't want Dix high on my....you know.

Alan

Legend
rdlkgliders with this dream:

Your Picks:

Nix might be nice but I want us to take the best CB available with that pick. A DT is nice but we're missing a starting (often) CB and we have no depth in case of an inj^$*%&.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nix might be nice but I want us to take the best CB available with that pick. A DT is nice but we're missing a starting (often) CB an we have no depth in cas of an inj^$*.
Our WEAK LINK last year, was unquestionably, our third corner, who is no more on this team. THAT is part of WHY I believe in this FO. He loved that guy, but that GUY is gone.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hugely important to fill that position with quality.
It is. We could get lucky, but what I envision is JJ going to the slot, and a big corner, highly drafted, starting on the outside.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nix might be nice but I want us to take the best CB available with that pick. A DT is nice but we're missing a starting (often) CB and we have no depth in case of an inj^$*%&.
Unfortunately by rd 2 pick 12 the CB's Gilbert, Dennard, Verritt, Roby and Fuller were all gone So I grabbed the tall and Rangy McGill to cover the tall WR's in the league but I waited until the Value was right in the 3rd

Alan

Legend
I really want a second 2nd round pick because I feel we need to pick up a FS and a CB with our second and third choices in the draft but still be flexible enough to get stud DT (like Nix) or a top OG if they fall. The rest of our D is already studly enough.

Carrington was a good signing as well.