Lions considering trading up for Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
rdlkgliders bearing fell tidings:
Unfortunately by rd 2 pick 12 the CB's Gilbert, Dennard, Verritt, Roby and Fuller were all gone So I grabbed the tall and Rangy McGill to cover the tall WR's in the league but I waited until the Value was right in the 3rd
You think they're won't be anything better than McGill at the 10th pick in the second round? I'm not so sure that would be the case.

Unless you think getting Nix outweighs the need for a top CB?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Another surprising tid bit no one has mentioned, is that he has Odell Beckham Jr. penciled in as the #10 pick overall. I mean, I know this is just his opinion, but I wonder if there's anything to it. Are teams and scouts really this high on the kid? Imo if the Lions wanted him as their 1st round pick they could TRADE BACK to do so.

As to them wanting to trade with the Rams I don't really see it. I mean it could happen, but if they want Watkins I could see them waiting to see if he falls a little then moving up. They might not need to give up what the Skins gave up, but for us to drop that many spots they would have to give up something pretty damn good. Missing out on Clowney, Watkins, or one of the tackles would be disappointing imo.

Last edited:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If we make the trade this is what it might look like when all said and done.
Your score is: 4956 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 10 (DET): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn (A)
Round 1 Pick 13: Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 12: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame (A)
Round 2 Pick 13 (DET): Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State (A)
Round 3 Pick 11: Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State (B+)
Round 3 Pick 12 (DET): Keith McGill, CB, Utah (B)
Round 4 Pick 10: Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU (A)
Round 5 Pick 13: Russell Bodine, OG, North Carolina (C)
Round 6 Pick 12: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California (B)
Round 6 Pick 38 (COMP): Jake Murphy, TE, Utah (D)
Round 7 Pick 11: Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming (A)
Round 7 Pick 26: Ryan Hewitt, FB, Stanford (A)
Round 7 Pick 34 (COMP): Denicos Allen, OLB, Michigan State (C+)
Round 7 Pick 35 (COMP): Brandon Linder, OG, Miami (Fla.) (E)

Not bad. Did you get any future picks?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Another surprising tid bit no one has mentioned, is that he has Odell Beckham Jr. penciled in as the #10 pick overall. I mean, I know this is just his opinion, but I wonder if there's anything to it. Are teams and scouts really this high on the kid? Imo if the Lions wanted him as their 1st round pick they could TRADE BACK to do so.

As to them wanting to trade with the Rams I don't really see it. I mean it could happen, but if they want Watkins I could see them waiting to see if he falls a little then moving up. They might not need to give up what the Skins gave up, but for us to drop that many spots they would have to give up something pretty damn good. Missing out on Clowney, Watkins, or one of the tackles would be disappointing imo.
I think a lot of people have Beckham ranked pretty high on the WR list, usually about 4th.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think a lot of people have Beckham ranked pretty high on the WR list, usually about 4th.

Wouldn't that mean he's likely to land somewhere in the 2nd round though? He could go anywhere I guess, but I would imagine taking him at 10th overall seems like a reach to most people right now. Idk, I could be wrong I just definitely haven't seen him that high before.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Wouldn't that mean he's likely to land somewhere in the 2nd round though? He could go anywhere I guess, but I would imagine taking him at 10th overall seems like a reach to most people right now. Idk, I could be wrong I just definitely haven't seen him that high before.
Yeah, 10th is too high but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make it out of the 1st round. SF and SEA will be looking to pick WRs I think and it will probably be between Lee, Benjamin, and Beckham.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
What if for the #2 pick the Rams got Detroits #10, 3rd rounder and Larry Watford (last year's rookie guard). I would be all in for that. Young talent doens't get traded often. Detroit keeps their 2nd rounder and "only loses a guard". There is a reason I am not a GM---hmmm, maybe it is my ideas !

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty decent draft, but in real life they would have to include next years 1st.

Your score is: 5419 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 10 (DET): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn (A)
Round 1 Pick 13: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State (A)
Round 2 Pick 12: David Yankey, OG, Stanford (A)
Round 2 Pick 13 (DET): Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State (A)
Round 3 Pick 11: Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State (A)
Round 3 Pick 12 (DET): Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson (A-)
Round 4 Pick 10: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia (A)
Round 5 Pick 13: Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech (B)
Round 6 Pick 12: Devon Kennard, OLB, Southern California (B+)
Round 6 Pick 38 (COMP): Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon (B+)
Round 7 Pick 11: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
Round 7 Pick 26: Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty (B+)
Round 7 Pick 34 (COMP): Jay Bromley, DT, Syracuse (A-)
Round 7 Pick 35 (COMP): Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (B)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
You think they're won't be anything better than McGill at the 10th pick in the second round? I'm not so sure that would be the case.

Unless you think getting Nix outweighs the need for a top CB?
That's a real tough call I could have went the way of a CB at 13 but gambled I could get a Highly rated CB at 2-12 do to the depth that position offers and FS is top heavy with Pryor and Dix then it drops off a bit in my book. We certainly got exposed at FS and CB last year and a starter at each spot would be on my hit list along with OL and LB help. The 5 top CB's are all rated top 35 meaning they could be gone early second.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker/by-name#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:det

In the Lions 2014 draft they have three 4th round picks two of which are comps. They would have to pay much in the future to kick us out of the top 9 of this draft. Next years draft could be pure garbage, this yrs draft is very good no real reason to take yourselves out of a very good draft to play heavy in a much weaker draft in 2015. Lions could easy rebound & end up a playoff team, thus making their draft picks all late rounders.....they would have to pay heavy now and some later if I were to do it. I consider this article as pure hot air & highly unlikely cause Snead is no chump to be had.

Lions need much :cautious:more in the secondary than we do.....

That's a real tough call I could have went the way of a CB at 13 but gambled I could get a Highly rated CB at 2-12 do to the depth that position offers and FS is top heavy with Pryor and Dix then it drops off a bit in my book. We certainly got exposed at FS and CB last year and a starter at each spot would be on my hit list along with OL and LB help. The 5 top CB's are all rated top 35 meaning they could be gone early second.

We had two major issues @ CB last yr one was Cortland Finnegan and the other was JJ. Another issue was playing our starting safety @ Nickel-back position. One is gone and the young JJ needs to grow up fast and put in a stall for a major tuneup job or be replaced as a starter. McLeod should stay @ the right safety position this season thus Safety is not as critical as the CB's. Rams need two talent young CB's in this draft!

I agree with the corners going fast. In fact I do fear that the CB's will go quicker & there will be a run on them early... than most think. At the same time many of the LB'ers, safeties & QB's falling .

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Another pre-draft nonsense piece. No way is Mayhew that stupid.
Totally agree. They are horrible in the secondary. Making a trade like that would prevent them from adding any talent at CB. I guess they figure they can find guys in the 5th round like the Seahawks did. Yeah right.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker/by-name#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:det
We had two major issues @ CB last yr one was Cortland Finnegan and the other was JJ. Another issue was playing our starting safety @ Nickel-back position. One is gone and the young JJ needs to grow up fast and put in a stall for a major tuneup job or be replaced as a starter. McLeod should stay @ the right safety position this season thus Safety is not as critical as the CB's. Rams need two talent young CB's in this draft!

I agree with the corners going fast. In fact I do fear that the CB's will go quicker & there will be a run on them early... than most think. At the same time many of the LB'ers, safeties & QB's falling .
I agree with part of the bolded. We did have 2 issues at CB last year. I agree that Finnegan was one but believe Walton was the other. Yes, Jennkins is still vulnerable to the double move and yes, he does peak into the backfield at times but, IMO, he is hands down the most talented CB on this team and potentially top 10 in the league. Walton having him play 10 yards off the LOS simply minimized his talents as a press corner. Let's give him another year, under a different, more aggressive DC before we cast him to the trash pile.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with part of the bolded. We did have 2 issues at CB last year. I agree that Finnegan was one but believe Walton was the other. Yes, Jennkins is still vulnerable to the double move and yes, he does peak into the backfield at times but, IMO, he is hands down the most talented CB on this team and potentially top 10 in the league. Walton having him play 10 yards off the LOS simply minimized his talents as a press corner. Let's give him another year, under a different, more aggressive DC before we cast him to the trash pile.

Even the 612 bhp Ferrari 599 GTB has to come in for a major tuned up once a year.......I sure hope that our new DC can tune up & figure out what is making our Ferrari run so bad! It may take some time in the garage to get it running right.:)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The only way I would want to trade down that far is if we traded with say cleavland first and got there extra first and second rounder then If watkins was still there at 4 I would make that trade down to 10 for Detroits 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a first next year. That would be well worth it in my opinion and very possible. We would then have picks

Thats 8 picks in the top 76 plus we get a first rounder next year. Im pretty sure I could live with that and we could fill every hole we have left with great talent in this deep of a draft.

What would your first 3 rounds look like with those picks??

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Id go

10. Arron Donald
13. Justin Gilbert
26. CJ Mosely
35. Morgan Moses
44. Jimmy Ward
45. Jordan Matthews
75. Gabe Jackson
76. Austin Seferian-Jenkins

BOOM CHAMPIONSHIP

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What would your first 3 rounds look like with those picks??

I would try to make it look like the below

1.10-CB-Justin Gilbert
1.13-OT-Taylor Lewan
1.26-CB-Jason Verrett
2/#35-DT-Stehon Tuitt
2/#44-S/CB- Lamarcus Joyner
2/#45-OG/OC Joel Bitonio
3/#75-FS Terrence Brooks
3/#76-ORT/OG-Billy Turner
4/#110-QB AJ mcCarron

Adding those four to our secondary would make it great. Current DB's who continue to display bad tendencies on the field will be removed from the field. I would expect either safeties Joyner or Brooks to start over McLeod. I would expect that Gilbert to put JJ on the bench till he gets his head right, with Verrett taking over the Nickle. Fisher & Williams now have the ability to run heavy Nickle & Dime defense packages which is what they prefer. Joyner could even shift & fill to the lone Lb'er position in the Dime he is that good!.

DT Tuitt is there to insure a powerful full DL interior rotation & permitting Sims & Hayes to concentrate on the DE rotation.

The OL FINALLY gets three new talented players for Boudreau to develop. Lewan can learn from Jake Long @LT. Turner can push Barksdale @ ORT & fill in for Saffold @ ORG when he gets injured again & Bitonio will start immediately @ OLG.

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Id go

10. Donald
13. Gilbert
19. Pryor
35. Van Noy
44. Gabe jackson
45. Billy turner