Let's Talk About The OLine...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I have watched some discussions about it and the only thing I can come up with is this article from Nick Wagoner:

Are Rams a match for center Alex Mack?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... -alex-mack

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Inevitably, anytime a reasonably well-known player is released or comes available at this time of year, fans of every NFL team begins to wonder if he's a fit for their favorite franchise.

Such was the case Wednesday when Cleveland Browns center Alex Mack voided the final three years of his contract with the team and made himself a free agent. In the process, he instantly became one of the top offensive linemen available in a market that will have plenty of teams capable of throwing around large sums of money.

Mack, of course, left open the possibility of a return to Cleveland, which is the only NFL home he's ever known. But he also knows that he'll have no shortage of suitors come the start of the new league year next week.

The question then becomes if one of those suitors will be the Los Angeles Rams? It's an easy connection to make. The Rams could use an upgrade at center and a stabilizing force for their young offensive line. They also have plenty of cap space, and Mack is actually a Los Angeles native.

But let's not prepare the jersey and get the moving vans just yet. While the Rams do have plenty of cap space, they also have a lot of key free agents to sign, particularly on defense. Much of their money will be diverted in that direction instead of for a center who is going to be costly. Likewise, the Rams have expressed interest in bringing back center Tim Barnes and have other young linemen who could play center in time, such as Demetrius Rhaney or even potentially Cody Wichmann.

In addition, the Rams have mostly avoided signing aging veterans after failed experiments with tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells. Mack is still an excellent player and certainly has some good football left in him, but it would require a fairly significant course correction in the way the Rams have done business recently for them to spend big bucks on a 30-year-old center who has had serious injury issues in the recent past.

While we can never say never to anything in this league, it seems that if the Rams are to add outside help at center this offseason, it's more likely to come through the draft.

Rams News Now!
All the Rams News of the Day
http://www.rams-news.com
I wonder if that's more the Writer's opinion more than the team. I hope the Rams don't do that to Cody he's a natural guard. He's not very athletic and I don't know if he's got the football smarts to make the oline calls.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Barnes has been in the strength and condition program all off season. I'm sure its because he knows he needs to get stronger and isn't happy about getting pushed back into the pocket. With a full season under his belt and maybe getting stronger in the off season, plus having the same guys starting next to him, we might see better play from Barnes

This year the Rams OL just might end up being a real strength of the team. When was the last time we could look forward to that?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think everyone will be shocked at how good our OL is this year. Not a concern to me.

I agree. I think Robinson will turn a corner this year. Patience with Saffold will pay off, Brown and Havenstein will be solid sophomore contributors...and one surprise starter will emerge. :jerkoff:

I mean, who wouldn't be intimidated by a line like this:
:burp::burp::burp::burp::burp:
And Jared be doin' his thing:

:rockon:

And Tavon and Pharoh be:

:yay::yay::banana::banana:
And the other team be:
:banghead::banghead::help::help::giveup:

And the fans at the Coliseum be all :shades::

:bow::bow::coach::coach::cheers::cheers::banana::banana::banana::banana::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::rockon::rockon::yess::yess::neener::party:
And when the team travels to Seattle and San Fran we will be able to spot the ROD contingent in the stands:
:baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::rockon::rockon::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::rockon::rockon::rockon::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead:

And the ESPN commentators be:
:blah::blah::blah::fuelfire:

And Fisher and Snead be:

:cool::cool:

While Stan is all:

:mrburnsevil:

...that's just the way I see it. :sneaky:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wonder if that's more the Writer's opinion more than the team. I hope the Rams don't do that to Cody he's a natural guard. He's not very athletic and I don't know if he's got the football smarts to make the oline calls.

IMO, it might come down to keeping the 10 best offensive linemen on the squad....Wichmann could be the back-up center and the Rams keep a center on the practice squad...Depth Chart could look like this come September:

LT...Robinson, Williams
LG...Brown, Reynolds
C...Barnes, Wichmann
RG....Saffold, Donnal
RT....Havenstein, Battle

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
IMO, it might come down to keeping the 10 best offensive lineman on the squad....Wichmann could be the back-up center and the Rams keep a center on the practice squad...Depth Chard could look like this come September:

LT...Robinson, Williams
LG...Brown, Reynolds
C...Barnes, Wichmann
RG....Saffold, Donnal
RT....Havenstein, Battle
In that case drop Donnal and move Wichmann back to guard. The team needs to find a backup @ center.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In that case drop Donnal and move Wichmann back to guard. The team needs to find a backup @ center.

Well, unless injury to Donnal or he just doesn't play well, I don't see that happening. If Wichmann can play it, that will increase his chances of making the squad.

On top of that I really don't feel they had a quality reserve at Center last year in Rhaney, however, right now both Kush and Folkerts can play center.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Well, unless injury to Donnal or he just doesn't play well, I don't see that happening. If Wichmann can play it, that will increase his chances of making the squad.
I have hope for most of the young o-line except Donnal. He looked awful when he got his chance to play.

HellRam

Starter
Rams OL has a chance to get something it hasn't had in years. CONTINUITY. GRob going into his 3rd year, played very well the last 5 games of the season. No penalties, no sacks, picked up blitz's, good pass pro. That, incedently, coincided with Garrett Reynolds playing LG, and he played very well there, best OL FA pick up in years. Barnes had started a whole 4 games coming into the season and got pushed around, but towards the end of the season he was starting to hold his own. Wichmann and Donnal got valuable playing time. Havenstien held his own at RT.
The Rams OL finally has a chance to start an OL with the same guys that ended the previous season. CONTINUITY. Its a mandatory thing for NFL OL's. Rams penchant for shuffling guys around during pre-season has to stop. Get your five guys out and play them. CONTINUITY. Saffold, with his injury history and able to play most of the OL positions, should be the swing guy. Good depth too.
Rams need to set the OL and let them play. Every preseason they monkey around and never play the same guys twice. And every year, the first game of the season, they trot out an OL that has never started together. That needs to stop .CONTINUITY!

LT-GRob
LG-Reynolds
C-Barnes
RG-Wichmann
RT-Havenstien

This is same OL the Rams started the last 4 games of last season and should start the preseason with. Keep the continuity going. Saffold, Brown, Donnal, Williams, Rhaney come in off the bench.

This is the O-Line I prefer as well. From what I saw Whichman and Reynolds out performed Brown and Saffold at guard last season, I do believe Rodger was not at 100 pct however. That said these guy's are young and improving so it's hard to say who will be starting come week 1. Whichman is the one I got a good feeling about.

We are set at Tackle, just need Robinson to take that next step.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Injuries also play a role. I hate to assume any injuries. But one of these young guys may end up in a starting role beyond our ability to speculate. I hope for a low-injury year all around this year. I am certainly glad for Williams and Battle. Also don't discount Reynolds.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have hope for most of the young o-line except Donnal. He looked awful when he got his chance to play.

I concur with you when Donnal played LG, however, before his injury he was playing very well at RT, but after his injury they had to move Reynolds to RT and Rhaney came off the bench to play LG and that was a catastrophe. Donnal seemed much more comfortable at RT, but if Battle showcases enough and one of the other centers plays well, you might just get your wish.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must have missed it, but I thought Reynolds was a FA this yr. Glad to see we still have him. We are going to be just fine as long as we don't continue with the devastation of injuries along the OL. We have a lot of really good young talent. What calms me about the GRob thing is this .. he took steps to get better this offseason and we have a couple young studs behind him in Battle & Williams. Our OG group is SOLID. Having both Reynolds and Saffold give us some flexibility with the Swing positions too.

I'm pretty happy with this group as of right now. Health throughout the season is key.
Reynolds was signed last year to a 2 year deal. He'll likely start this year, do well and move on and make money on a free agent contract. We have that history with Oline. Good thing we have so much depth at OG.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The play of FA Garrett Reynolds at LG the last 5 games of the season have been largely overlooked. He played very well in all aspects, and was a huge help to GRob. Best FA OL signing by the Rams in years. I thinks he's earned the right to start at LG so he can continue to be a coach on the field for GRob. Let Brown sub for Reynolds and keep the OL together that started the last five games of last season. Its past time for the Rams tofigure out their starting five and keep with it. Continuity.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm watching three guys to get a good measure of the OLine:

Havenstein - He's a sophomore this year...and we know sometimes the 2nd year is harder than the first. I don't see that with him...but it's possible.

GRob - He has to get the false starts under control. Many of those grading OLines point GRob out as the weak link and a possible bust. Where that comes from...I don't know. I see it as overly dramatic. LT is probably the toughest spot on the OLine because you're covering the QBs blind side for the most part.

Brown - Returning from a broken leg to RG? Does he win the job? He was pretty good until the leg against Chicago.

That's what I'm watching...and in the back of my mind...I'm hoping Saffold can complete a season without injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO, it might come down to keeping the 10 best offensive linemen on the squad....Wichmann could be the back-up center and the Rams keep a center on the practice squad...Depth Chart could look like this come September:

LT...Robinson, Williams
LG...Brown, Reynolds
C...Barnes, Wichmann
RG....Saffold, Donnal
RT....Havenstein, Battle

Good big 10 den! My dream 11 would be:

LT-Robinson/Saffold/Battle
LG-Brown/Saffold/Williams
OC- Barnes/Rhaney
RG- Wichmann/Saffold/Reynolds
RT- Havenstein/Saffold/Donnal

Key here is Rodger Saffold the game day #6 Boudreau OL'er with Garrett Reynolds as #7 then Rhaney as #8 followed by Darrell Williams as #9. I have this good feeling that Darrell Williams can be a LEFT side OT/OG combo & ORT reserve. Battle needs to show that he can play more than a single post (OLT)& the versatile Andrew Donnal will need to gain some serious strength & power to be the right side OT/OG reserve. Rams did sign a legitimate swing OT a over 6-7 310 OT named Jordan Swindle who does have a resume worth a good look. Could really mess up Isaiah Battle & Andrew Donnal's future Ram plans if he is a true swing OT.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well said, CGI. My sentiments exactly.

A new WR to replace Quick couldn't hurt, either. Again, more options for Goff which, in turn, helps the OL.
Many are ready to give up on Quick...but I'm cautiously optimistic with him. Before the guy was injured in 2014 that guy was the leading WR...even over Britt. He was signed to a one year deal, which was a clear indicator this is his last shot.

It's on him!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good big 10 den! My dream 11 would be:

LT-Robinson/Saffold/Battle
LG-Brown/Saffold/Williams
OC- Barnes/Rhaney
RG- Wichmann/Saffold/Reynolds
RT- Havenstein/Saffold/Donnal

Not sure they can carry 11 this year and Williams is a pure LT not a Guard, also IMO, unless Rhaney can showcase something different in preseason if they keep 11 I would give Kush a long look or pick somebody else up because the only thing that Rhaney showed last season was that he should consider moving to Spain and becoming a professional matador.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Benefits from this year: Brown won't be shuffled along the line like he was going into the start of the season. Everyone should enter training camp playing the position they should be playing when the season starts.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
Grob will be fine, but in ABSOLUTE worst case, he'll be a Dominant guard.

Center is the weak link. I pray Demetrius Rhaney can win this spot. Barnes is to weak.
Also read where Cody Wichman might be moving. That's ideal. He could be great.

Saffold is great, but if he gets injured again, he's gotta go. He's the strongest on the team, they say he is a beast, and next to Robinson they could be devastating.
Brown is REALLY good and him and Havenstein are exciting for the next 10 years.

Look at this

Robinson. Saffold. Wichman Brown Havenstein

That is. Scary Big powerful o line. I just am not big on Barnes AT ALL