Let's Talk About The OLine...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm feeling good about the OLine going into this year...but there are questions.

*The rookie Havenstein did not disappoint last year...he was very solid at RT.

*GRob still had some struggles but I'm looking for him to make huge strides this year.

*Barnes did very well at Center in my opinion but I recall some critics of him last year.

*Saffold is a very solid player...but when you say his name you say "please don't get injured".

*Brown did well in my book and I look for him to be better.

I think the OLine could be a strength this year...but I THINK THAT CAUTIOUSLY.

How are you folks feeling about the OLine? PFF ranked them 28th...but I kind of scratch my head on that one.

TexasRam

Legend
My single greatest concern going into the season is Grob followed by Barnes.

I cringe to watch these guys in pass pro.

From a power and quickness perspective Robinson has it all to be great. From a technical and instinctual standpoint he is as bad as they come. It's possible a light comes on for him and he puts it all together. I think there is a 10% chance that happens. I hope I am wrong. His hand usage is atrocious. DE's get him off
Balance so easy it's hard to beleive that can be developed in the offseason.

Barnes on the other hand just lacks strength to push people and hold his ground vs the pass.

The positive is Havenstein Reynolds and Wichmann played real well last year, and if Saffold stays healthy he is an excellent LT solution if The Grob project continues to fail.

Brown does have potential but when you break down his game film he was below average last year. But he was a rookie.

Shawnbb158

Starter
The thing I like to focus on is 18 sacks allowed last year.... Young growing line will improve. Yes they made mistakes but Goff alone will help because of his pocket presence plus 100% gurley and a new stud TE ... He will be a stud barring off the field... Our oline is not a worry to me

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The injuries they had last year made it easier for a very young group to get experience for a bunch of guys. This year most of the injured players will be far enough removed from those to be full go in an off season program. Some of them will be bigger and stronger than last year and have some live fire experience. How can they not get better? There should be some decent competition to fill that starting line up and great depth to start the year. Being out of the Ed I think will help with the wear and tear and I think these guys will be off to building a great group to grow together and become a solid asset to protect Goff and pave the way for Gurley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only real question is GRob at LT. Outside of that, look at the depth at the OG position:

1. Saffold.
2. Brown.
3. Wichmann.
4. Reynolds.
5. Donnal.

That is some outstanding depth and starting quality players. Even if Roger gets hurt in pregame warmups in SF like expected, they're stacked.

OT is a little bit of a concern but the talent looks very good. Havenstein is a potential pro bowl type RT in year two. Battle and Williams are keys because one of them needs to step up to avoid the Rams shuffling the OL if Havenstein gets dinged up. Last year when he was out it really had an avalanche effect on the line.

Same deal on the left side tbh. If GRob gets dinged up can Williams start there and avoid them needing to move Roger around? I'd hate to see him trip and hurt himself moving from RG to LT and all. So the key from this group really is who is going to step up. Lots of talent, which is a big difference from previous Rams lines this decade. They just gotta get the depth sorted.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Only real question is GRob at LT. Outside of that, look at the depth at the OG position:

1. Saffold.
2. Brown.
3. Wichmann.
4. Reynolds.
5. Donnal.

That is some outstanding depth and starting quality players. Even if Roger gets hurt in pregame warmups in SF like expected, they're stacked.

OT is a little bit of a concern but the talent looks very good. Havenstein is a potential pro bowl type RT in year two. Battle and Williams are keys because one of them needs to step up to avoid the Rams shuffling the OL if Havenstein gets dinged up. Last year when he was out it really had an avalanche effect on the line.

Same deal on the left side tbh. If GRob gets dinged up can Williams start there and avoid them needing to move Roger around? I'd hate to see him trip and hurt himself moving from RG to LT and all. So the key from this group really is who is going to step up. Lots of talent, which is a big difference from previous Rams lines this decade. They just gotta get the depth sorted.

So you don't think he'll come back from the shoulder surgery? Hadn't he been putting it off for the last few season? So isn't the fact that he addressed it a good thing?

Limey

Rookie
O line play benefits greatly from continuity, and we had virtually none of that last year due to so many injuries. Hopefully we will be able to build some chemistry between the starting 5, but if we need it, we have good depth at G, and hopefully between Battle, Williams and Donnal some will emerge at T as well. I'm a bit concerned about depth at C, unless the rumour about Wichmann taking snaps there is true. I still think Rhaney is too weak (and his only blocking ploy is now illegal) and the other backups look like scrubs.

Will be interested to see who the starting 5 are. Favourite is probably:
GRob Brown Barnes Saffold Havenstein
but I'm a big Wichmann fan, and Reynolds played well last year.
Could even be some good OL players not making the team this year, which is major progress.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
I hope I'm wrong, but ultimately, I think GRob is a guard in this league. He embodies what you want in an interior lineman. Havenstein solidifies a position that has been in flux since Turley in '03. I'm very happy with Donnel and Brown. Saffold is an injury waiting to happen; I don't know if it's technique or what, but he's the Sam Bradford of offensive lineman. Reynolds was a pleasant surprise.

I still think we need a true left tackle. No more damn projects, please.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
If I remember correctly, Saffold had one shoulder surgically repaired and injured the other one last year, which is now also surgically repaired. He should be ready to go. Seems I remember reading that his work in the weight room over the years had taken a toll on his shoulders. If he's healthy, he's a very good player and mentor for the younger guys on the o line.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I must have missed it, but I thought Reynolds was a FA this yr. Glad to see we still have him. We are going to be just fine as long as we don't continue with the devastation of injuries along the OL. We have a lot of really good young talent. What calms me about the GRob thing is this .. he took steps to get better this offseason and we have a couple young studs behind him in Battle & Williams. Our OG group is SOLID. Having both Reynolds and Saffold give us some flexibility with the Swing positions too.

I'm pretty happy with this group as of right now. Health throughout the season is key.

ausmurp

Starter
The thing I like to focus on is 18 sacks allowed last year.... Young growing line will improve. Yes they made mistakes but Goff alone will help because of his pocket presence plus 100% gurley and a new stud TE ... He will be a stud barring off the field... Our oline is not a worry to me

I really don't like when people pull the low sack total out,as this team was at the bottom is passing plays ran as well. They do correlate. And our QBs were still pressured a ton.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I really don't like when people pull the low sack total out,as this team was at the bottom is passing plays ran as well. They do correlate. And our QBs were still pressured a ton.
When you consider the revolving door we had going on on the OL with injuries last yr ( and several yrs prior) I don't care how many pass attempts there were. We were young, green and out of position and not much cohesion as a group. 18 sacks was phenomenal with those odds stacked against them. We didn't "not pass" because of them. We didn't pass because our QB's (mostly Foles for 11 gms) was AWFUL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me personally; I really like our oline.

GRob finished 2015 strong... And is working hard this offseason.

Havenstein is going to be our RT for the next 10yrs.

Saffold has been rebuilt. If he's right, he can play anywhere along the line.

Brown showed a lot of promise.

We've got some young and capable depth too... Wichman, Battle, etc.

The only guy I'm not exactly excited about is Donell. He just doesn't stand out to me.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

The only guy I'm not exactly excited about is Donell. He just doesn't stand out to me.
And if Battle has shown any progress, he might move Donall off the roster or put him on the PS.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Well said, CGI. My sentiments exactly.

I might add that the addition of Goff can only make our OL's job even easier. Quicker decisions and much better pocket presence by Goff should make the OL effectiveness more pronounced.

Not to mention the combined benefits of a year's experience, training table, and weight room regimens for the OL youngsters.

Another thing? Higbee should be a significant improvement over Cook. This will give Goff quicker passing options, which in turn just helps the OL, as well.

A new WR to replace Quick couldn't hurt, either. Again, more options for Goff which, in turn, helps the OL.

Truly a synergy thing, huh?

Name
aloharamfan
I think our oline will be just fine. The only position that I have doubts is at center. Barnes just got pushed around too much by big nose tackles. If he can generate push and play with good technique he will be better. Some folks say we should not look at our low sack totals because we passed so little. I do not agree. If our oline was really bad, we would have had given up more sacks, even with low passing attempts. The qb's that played for us last year also do not have good pocket awareness. Foles was very poor.
Toward the end of last year, GRob was playing much better. He is so young, he is not even fully deveoped yet. This year he has shown that he understands what he needs to do in order to be the player he wants to be. I think he will be just fine. The good news is that he will be better in game 8 vs game 1.
I though that Reynolds insertion into the line had a steadying effect. I would not be surprised if they Rams started him at left guard in place of mr glass.

A55VA6

Legend

Yup I agree. Havenstein is very disciplined and just gets the job done. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he committed any penalties and gave up no sacks in his rookie season.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Will be interested on how Donnal and Battle progress in training camp. Having quality backup tackles is important when injuries hit. The guard position seems set, and think Kush is a player to watch at C, behind Barnes.