Les Snead On 101 This Afternoon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

I agree with you. I really don't expect him to be telling us what he really thinks. I think he is shoveling the horse manure and anyone who wants to buy it, fine.
That's fine - they also have a habit of saying things and backing them up.

Before the Rg3 trade was official, people really questioned whether or not they were going to draft him or keep bradford...they kept saying bradford, traded pick, and we know what happened since then...

historically speaking, fisher has drafted linemen toward the mid and later rounds and tried to develop them.. this is what his track record shows, then snead mentions this is what they like to do and people think it's bs smoke/fire..

someone pointed out before - during the rg3 trade, they had hinted about trading down and drafting brockers...what happened? hmm..

Just saying - I believe there's a little truth sprinkled into what he says. I've seen more actions back up their talk instead of the other way around...

BTW for those saying "They're not going o-line in the first because they don't wanna show his hand" - then why committ to bradford and not jake long? Logic doesn't make sense, especially if you're trying to "not show your hand" and give the illusion any player/position is up for grabs.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a rich draft as far as OL goes...not sure why it would be magic.

Sounded like they expect Long to be ready for the season...resign Saffold for insurance/guard/swing tackle...take a G in the 2nd or 3rd...sign another veteran. Cut Dahl and Wells.

It isn't as tragic and overwhelming as it seems.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This is a rich draft as far as OL goes...not sure why it would be magic.

Sounded like they expect Long to be ready for the season...resign Saffold for insurance/guard/swing tackle...take a G in the 2nd or 3rd...sign another veteran. Cut Dahl and Wells.

It isn't as tragic and overwhelming as it seems.

Well, we will get to watch this unfold before our eyes.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I agree with you. I really don't expect him to be telling us what he really thinks. I think he is shoveling the horse manure and anyone who wants to buy it, fine.

All I do know for sure is that they have plenty of work to do on their OL. They have an almost perfect storm this year between the aging of Wells and Dahl, the FA of Saffold, and the injury prone Long. If they can field a good OL without drafting OL high in this draft then they are magicians.

I agree they have to get the OL together, it's the big priority. The question is do they draft OL by trading down out of 13 or what. I don't think so, I have no clue what they are planning, but I suspect that we will see two bold moves, one with each pick. I see them moving down from 2 and then up from 13.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
1) He already announced to the media he's open for the business..

2) He said he doesn't know the value of the pick right now... and how could he? We haven't even done the combine yet!

And this isn't laying out plans for the draft at all - i don't get how people are connecting those dots

On number two yes the combine is going to enhance the value of the #2 overall, there is no way it devalues it. That and a few pro days that have media numbskulls saying "he's the next (insert HOF players name here)". It'll be the Rams polar vortex hahaha.

Announcing the pick is up for trade though wasn't a big shock to anyone. The Rams aren't going to pick a DE or QB so may as well slide down the totem pole a bit and get extra picks.

iced

On number two yes the combine is going to enhance the value of the #2 overall, there is no way it devalues it. That and a few pro days that have media numbskulls saying "he's the next (insert HOF players name here)". It'll be the Rams polar vortex hahaha.

Announcing the pick is up for trade though wasn't a big shock to anyone. The Rams aren't going to pick a DE or QB so may as well slide down the totem pole a bit and get extra picks.

which is my point..this shouldn't be a surprise - it's not like he's showing his hand at all. The value of the pick could be nothing or it could sky rocket - hence "i don't know the value."

laramsoriginal

Starter
Im all for trading down and taking multiple OL prospects in the late first and second round. I dont see how any rams fan feels confident with the starters and depth on the OL. Its below average and guys cannot stay healthy

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Trusting souls. Bless your hearts.

I'm not that trusting. It's limited to believing they are sticking with Sam this year.

I don't trust that they have a viable solution to the OL situation without drafting someone in the first round.

I will go on record right now that if they approach the OL the way Snead is advertising then our QB will be getting his ass kicked this year.

iced

I'm not that trusting. It's limited to believing they are sticking with Sam this year.

I don't trust that they have a viable solution to the OL situation without drafting someone in the first round.

I will go on record right now that if they approach the OL the way Snead is advertising then our QB will be getting his ass kicked this year.

Trusting?

Nah - actions just speak louder than words.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Trusting?

Nah - actions just speak louder than words.

You must also interpret the actions.

What did the OL look like at this time last year?
An injury prone Saffold.
A bit long in the tooth OG and OC, in Dahl and Wells, who also were starting to having issues with injuries.
A bunch of candidates at OG and OT, with 3 guys emerging that they could start, Smith, Williams, and Barksdale, though only Barksdale was any good at all.

What actions did they take?
A 4th round rookie coming off an injury, Barrett Jones
An injury prone Jake Long

So what happened?
Well, Saffold went down in game 2 playing RT . Surprise, surprise....
But Barksdale did well at RT in Saffold's absence. So there is evidence that their development approach works for one guy.
The Wells gets hurt again, then Dahl gets hurt again, and finally Long tears his ACL. And by the end of the year the OL is a mess once again.

And now there are actually people who believe they can just add some unknown guys to the infirmary OL boys, and then maybe draft a guy in the mid-rounds, and all will be just hunky dory.

Not me. It's blatantly obvious that we should expect all those injury prone guys to be even more injury prone this year.

So what I'm saying is that if they take the same type of action as last year, ie. add a FA OT and draft a mid round OG, then the OL will be worse than last year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I'm with ya, max.

I think we must use premium draft capital on the oline. A solid oline helps the QB, the RB, and the WR. That's a lot of impact!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You must also interpret the actions.

What did the OL look like at this time last year?
An injury prone Saffold.
A bit long in the tooth OG and OC, in Dahl and Wells, who also were starting to having issues with injuries.
A bunch of candidates at OG and OT, with 3 guys emerging that they could start, Smith, Williams, and Barksdale, though only Barksdale was any good at all.

What actions did they take?
A 4th round rookie coming off an injury, Barrett Jones
An injury prone Jake Long

So what happened?
Well, Saffold went down in game 2 playing RT . Surprise, surprise....
But Barksdale did well at RT in Saffold's absence. So there is evidence that their development approach works for one guy.
The Wells gets hurt again, then Dahl gets hurt again, and finally Long tears his ACL. And by the end of the year the OL is a mess once again.

And now there are actually people who believe they can just add some unknown guys to the infirmary OL boys, and then maybe draft a guy in the mid-rounds, and all will be just hunky dory.

Not me. It's blatantly obvious that we should expect all those injury prone guys to be even more injury prone this year.

So what I'm saying is that if they take the same type of action as last year, ie. add a FA OT and draft a mid round OG, then the OL will be worse than last year.

You keep twisting words around. The Rams since Fisher has gotten here have signed proven veterans to start while looking for developmental guys. To say they are just signing unknowns expecting them to jump in is false.

They signed Wells to start at center...yes, his age and injuries are catching up but they have gotten some good production out of him. Long played well this year until his injury.

I'd suspect they take that similar approach.

I really don't understand why you are getting worked up. Why can't we just have a discussion?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
You keep twisting words around. The Rams since Fisher has gotten here have signed proven veterans to start while looking for developmental guys. To say they are just signing unknowns expecting them to jump in is false.

They signed Wells to start at center...yes, his age and injuries are catching up but they have gotten some good production out of him. Long played well this year until his injury.

I'd suspect they take that similar approach.

I really don't understand why you are getting worked up. Why can't we just have a discussion?

OK. Let's go through what you said.

1. Wells. How much did actually play since Fisher brought him in? He has started 19 out of 32 games. That's 51%. That's half time good production. And it's likely to get worse if they keep him, which I doubt.

2. Long. He has been injured the last 3 years he has played. You really want to count on him? REALLY?

So, why I am getting worked up is that when you say that you suspect they take that similar approach, I'm thinking that's a disaster waiting to happen. And I have a hard time processing that there are people out there that think that approach will work this year. It's not going to work, mark my words. If they don't add some young healthy talented OL, then we will have a broken QB. That's because what we have right now is mix of old breaking down players and not so old injury prone players.

Here's the deal, there comes a time when you have to field an OL where the players are not breaking down injury prone players. You will never have continuity on the OL until you do that.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
OK. Let's go through what you said.

1. Wells. How much did actually play since Fisher brought him in? He has started 19 out of 32 games. That's 51%. That's half time good production. And it's likely to get worse if they keep him, which I doubt.

2. Long. He has been injured the last 3 years he has played. You really want to count on him? REALLY?

So, why I am getting worked up is that when you say that you suspect they take that similar approach, I'm thinking that's a disaster waiting to happen. And I have a hard time processing that there are people out there that think that approach will work this year. It's not going to work, mark my words. If they don't add some young healthy talented OL, then we will have a broken QB. That's because what we have right now is mix of old breaking down players and not so old injury prone players.

Here's the deal, there comes a time when you have to field an OL where the players are not breaking down injury prone players. You will never have continuity on the OL until you do that.

I haven't stated what I want to do at all. Simply looking at what the Rams have done, what they are saying, and deciphering what they will do.

Keep in mind the games that Wells didn't play what they did. They had Robert Turner step in and play well. Time Barnes stepped in and had some mixed reviews, good moments, not-so-good moments.

The thing with Jake Long is that he had a shoulder issue then a knee issue...unrelated injuries are hard to point at and say he is destined to have another injury. Injuries are going to happen in football, plain and simple. I'd be interested to see exactly which teams had the same 5 OL play all year.

There are some unknowns with this offensive line but that doesn't equate to old and injury prone across the board. Not sure if you are or are not, but I do know that if you are lumping in Barrett Jones as injury prone that is false.

I understand your concerns. I'm not against drafting an OL in the first...I just think there is anything to suggest that is the direction that the team is leaning. And I also have seen the Rams improve the effectiveness of the offensive line play since Fisher/Snead have gotten here staying consistent with this philosophy. I don't see how anyone can argue that.