Les Snead On 101 This Afternoon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You sound like a guy who has seen Belichick's draft board. He's drafted a OG in the first round but never a WR.

That garbage that Snead was passing out about not knowing the 5 guys who start for another team in the NFL made me laugh.

I only wish he could have gotten the Niners to believe it before they drafted Staley, Iupati, and Davis in the first round and pounded the crap out of everyone on their way to the SB last year.

But we are gonna do it with rejects and UFAs.

I just have a philosophy. Have had it for a few years. Oddly enough, someone spelled out Asshole Face's philosophy not too long ago and it was the same as mine.

In today's NFL, with the reliance on 3 step drops, quicker passing and using a lot of play-action...I believe the OT positions has been devalued on the field while the OG and C positions have gained value. I think they're all pretty near equal now in value with the LT and LG being the most valuable because they're on the blind-side(and vice versa with lefty QBs). I also think the Center is the most valuable on teams where he makes the protection calls.

DEs jobs have gotten harder because of how quick the QB gets the ball out and the shorter drops. The best way to disrupt the passing game today is to get inside push and stop the QB from being able to step up in the pocket. Which is why OGs have become more important. If you have a strong interior OL, you afford your QB a clean pocket to step up into and that allows him to find throwing lanes and buy time. It also allows your OTs more freedom and flexibility when it comes to protecting the corner and the QB. It makes it easier for them to push the DE past the QB.

Which is why Asshole Face has designed his OL around the OG position. Their two best players on their OL are the OGs.

I think it's very smart to strengthen the guard position. Especially with Long and Barksdale at tackle. Giving Sam a clean pocket to step up into and extra time is invaluable. Especially with how good Sam is when he's not under pressure. And, they'll open lanes for Stacy.

I've seen Sam play like a top tier QB with the weapons we have when our OL protected him and our running game worked. While I'd love to add a #1 WR like Watkins or Evans, I think the OL takes precedence...especially if they're equal or better talents on the OL available at our pick.

I'm not rigid that you don't draft a WR in the first. Beside K and P, I don't restrict myself with the belief that I won't draft X position in the first. I choose to take the best value. And imo, that'll likely be Jake Matthews on draft day. Unless we stay at #2.

iced

I just have a philosophy. Have had it for a few years. Oddly enough, someone spelled out Asshole Face's philosophy not too long ago and it was the same as mine.

In today's NFL, with the reliance on 3 step drops, quicker passing and using a lot of play-action...I believe the OT positions has been devalued on the field while the OG and C positions have gained value. I think they're all pretty near equal now in value with the LT and LG being the most valuable because they're on the blind-side(and vice versa with lefty QBs). I also think the Center is the most valuable on teams where he makes the protection calls.

DEs jobs have gotten harder because of how quick the QB gets the ball out and the shorter drops. The best way to disrupt the passing game today is to get inside push and stop the QB from being able to step up in the pocket. Which is why OGs have become more important. If you have a strong interior OL, you afford your QB a clean pocket to step up into and that allows him to find throwing lanes and buy time. It also allows your OTs more freedom and flexibility when it comes to protecting the corner and the QB. It makes it easier for them to push the DE past the QB.

Which is why Asshole Face has designed his OL around the OG position. Their two best players on their OL are the OGs.

I think it's very smart to strengthen the guard position. Especially with Long and Barksdale at tackle. Giving Sam a clean pocket to step up into and extra time is invaluable. Especially with how good Sam is when he's not under pressure. And, they'll open lanes for Stacy.

I've seen Sam play like a top tier QB with the weapons we have when our OL protected him and our running game worked. While I'd love to add a #1 WR like Watkins or Evans, I think the OL takes precedence...especially if they're equal or better talents on the OL available at our pick.

I'm not rigid that you don't draft a WR in the first. Beside K and P, I don't restrict myself with the belief that I won't draft X position in the first. I choose to take the best value. And imo, that'll likely be Jake Matthews on draft day. Unless we stay at #2.

and this is where our disagreement really is - it's not really about philosophy as much as who the better player is.. I think Watkins is best available for us at 2. but i don't think we'll be there at 2 anyway

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I like big uglies in the first round! We need 1 with one of our picks in the round! Will be disappointed in Snead if it doesn't happen.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whoa...some of you guys take this "GM Speak" thing as everything he says is the opposite or complete lies.

Man, for the past 2 years something I've noticed is there are a lot of hints in what Les Snead says.

I remember 2 years ago when he was doing one of those season ticket holder mock drafts he dropped a couple hints that they were interested in Michael Brockers in a trade down...and look what happened.

IMO...the coach speak comes from the non-answers that sound like answers...Example: What is the Rams biggest need, "Experience." Yeah, OK Les...thanks for the insight there.

After hearing his interview the one thing I came away with is that it more than ever I don't think they are looking offensive line in the first round. Shoot...I almost get the feeling they aren't looking at OL early at all. Sounds to me that he and Fisher share the belief that offensive lineman seem to develop from different areas more than any other position. I found it very interesting. I almost get the sense from that interview they see something in Mike Persons they really like.

iced

Whoa...some of you guys take this "GM Speak" thing as everything he says is the opposite or complete lies.

Man, for the past 2 years something I've noticed is there are a lot of hints in what Les Snead says.

I remember 2 years ago when he was doing one of those season ticket holder mock drafts he dropped a couple hints that they were interested in Michael Brockers in a trade down...and look what happened.

IMO...the coach speak comes from the non-answers that sound like answers...Example: What is the Rams biggest need, "Experience." Yeah, OK Les...thanks for the insight there.

After hearing his interview the one thing I came away with is that it more than ever I don't think they are looking offensive line in the first round. Shoot...I almost get the feeling they aren't looking at OL early at all. Sounds to me that he and Fisher share the belief that offensive lineman seem to develop from different areas more than any other position. I found it very interesting. I almost get the sense from that interview they see something in Mike Persons they really like.

exactly, especially the bolded part

Alan

Legend
Sum1BTRthnU coming in with:
The best lie always has some truth in it to lure in the suckers.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The best lie always has some truth in it to lure in the suckers.
Ha! That's a great line.

To me...you have to look at what Snead and Fisher have done to this point and look for the consistency of their track record with the answers being given.

My opinion has been shaped a bit after that interview...but nothing completely definitive. Still a lot more info to gather IMO.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Well, if Snead actually believes they don't need to address OL in the first round, and he thinks they can plug in rejects and UFAs, then that is a pretty ballsy approach.

If they don't resign Saffold, and Jake isn't ready by the start of the season, and they don't draft OL high, does anyone want to predict how Sam coming off an ACL is going to fare?

laramsoriginal

Starter
Its about team needs and the rams have a lot of NEED on the OL.

I like Lewan with a late first
Richardson with a late first
Zach Martin early 2nd.

All 3 guys will be starters in the NFL. Lets be honest, they're better than the guys we currently have on the OL.
If the rams want bradford to perform, draft early and often OL players.

In terms of need for the rams;

OL
Safety
CB
WR
DT

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

I was going to write something akin to this, but you beat me to it.

I don't think Snead blows as much smoke as others think he does. The fact that he said both Fisher and himself believe that OL can be developed from later rounds makes me think he won't be selecting an OL in the first round. Fisher historically likes to draft DL, secondary, or playmaker (WR, QB, RB) in the first round. He has never drafted a first round OL in Tennessee or in St. Louis. That doesn't necessarily mean he won't but history doesn't match-up with that. If I had to guess they will either draft a DB or safety and a WR in the first round. Makes me think Watkins and Dennard/Clinton-Dix might be the first round picks, depending on where we trade.

I am not saying I agree with this, but this is what I took from this particular interview

Alan

Legend
max with very politically correct wording:
Well, if Snead actually believes they don't need to address OL in the first round, and he thinks they can plug in rejects and UFAs, then that is a pretty ballsy approach.

If they don't resign Saffold, and Jake isn't ready by the start of the season, and they don't draft OL high, does anyone want to predict how Sam coming off an ACL is going to fare?
Thinking of going into politics max? :wink:

Ballsy = Stupid

Sum1

Hall of Fame

I think you are twisting things around a bit. I think they are going to continue to draft guys in the mid rounds and pickup guys they like, yes. I don't think that is the same thing as rejects.

I'd say their approach has been working pretty well. The Rams offensive line ranked in the top half in both run blocking and pass pro this past season.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think you are twisting things around a bit. I think they are going to continue to draft guys in the mid rounds and pickup guys they like, yes. I don't think that is the same thing as rejects.

I'd say their approach has been working pretty well. The Rams offensive line ranked in the top half in both run blocking and pass pro this past season.

Their approach has included signing Jake Long and Scott Wells, while they were left with Saffold and Dahl. So they had a lot more going into 2013 then they do now. They actually drafted 2 guys in the mid rounds, Roc Watkins and Barrett Jones. How are those 2 doing? So I don't get a warm and fuzzy from the thought of them continuing to draft guys in the mid rounds.

With all the talk about them picking up unknown guys and developing them, they have a grand total of 1 guy in 2 years that can start at a decent level, Barkdsdale. Snead is blowing smoke on their success rate with picking up unknown guys and them actually performing well enough not to get our QB killed.

The more you look into their 2 year track record, it's really not all that impressive. Long goes down again, and the odds of him breaking down sooner than later is very real. Wells hasn't played a full season in the 2 years he has been here.

I'm not gonna put my head in the sand on this. I see Wells and Dahl as old breaking down players who need to be replaced, otherwise we have a high risk of non-continuity in our OL once again. Jake Long, who knows? Snead says he doesn't draft to replace injured players. Well, Long has been injured every freaking year the last 3 years. Hello? Anybody home? Are they gonna be surprised when Long goes down again and claim bad luck? That's insane.

So they have Barksdale and he is solid at RT. And then they have 4 eggshells. But not to fear, "they are going to continue to draft guys in the mid rounds and pickup guys they like." They better sign Saffold because if they don't, that approach has to cover for an injure prone Long, 2 OGs, and a Center.

I'm very impressed with the way Snead talks his way around this issue. The guy can take dog poop and sell it like caviar.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Their approach has included signing Jake Long and Scott Wells, while they were left with Saffold and Dahl. So they had a lot more going into 2013 then they do now. They actually drafted 2 guys in the mid rounds, Roc Watkins and Barrett Jones. How are those 2 doing? So I don't get a warm and fuzzy from the thought of them continuing to draft guys in the mid rounds.

With all the talk about them picking up unknown guys and developing them, they have a grand total of 1 guy in 2 years that can start at a decent level, Barkdsdale. Snead is blowing smoke on their success rate with picking up unknown guys and them actually performing well enough not to get our QB killed.

The more you look into their 2 year track record, it's really not all that impressive. Long goes down again, and the odds of him breaking down sooner than later is very real. Wells hasn't played a full season in the 2 years he has been here.

I'm not gonna put my head in the sand on this. I see Wells and Dahl as old breaking down players who need to be replaced, otherwise we have a high risk of non-continuity in our OL once again. Jake Long, who knows? Snead says he doesn't draft to replace injured players. Well, Long has been injured every freaking year the last 3 years. Hello? Anybody home? Are they gonna be surprised when Long goes down again and claim bad luck? That's insane.

So they have Barksdale and he is solid at RT. And then they have 4 eggshells. But not to fear, "they are going to continue to draft guys in the mid rounds and pickup guys they like." They better sign Saffold because if they don't, that approach has to cover for an injure prone Long, 2 OGs, and a Center.

I'm very impressed with the way Snead talks his way around this issue. The guy can take dog poop and sell it like caviar.

You clearly have made up your mind and I don't think anything I say will mean anything to you.

But I'll just respond once more...I think that Snead and Fisher would rather pay a veteran with a track record for a couple years rather than role the dice on a first round pick to play the line. Fisher has always had a top notch OL Coach while developing midround picks and picking up solid veterans. There is a lot more of a history of this philosophy than just with the Rams. And mind you...it has worked.
Also, using Barrett Jones is pretty weak. Anyone paying attention knows he wasn't drafted to be a contributor this year. His knock coming out was he wasn't strong enough and was coming off an injury. It was very evident they drafted him for the future, not 2013.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
C'mon guys Snead isn't even going to share much with the guys he is talking to about trading the pick to, let alone the media!

Why in the world would he divulge anything about what they are trying to do. And after the fact if they miss out on their guy and end up taking their second choice they are going to lie and say he was the target all along.

That's how the position he holds is played in the media. There is NO exception and I defy you to find one single example of a GM laying out his plans for a draft to local media.

PhxRam

C'mon guys Snead isn't even going to share much with the guys he is talking to about trading the pick to, let alone the media!

Why in the world would he divulge anything about what they are trying to do. And after the fact if they miss out on their guy and end up taking their second choice they are going to lie and say he was the target all along.

That's how the position he holds is played in the media. There is NO exception and I defy you to find one single example of a GM laying out his plans for a draft to local media.

Mike Ditka

iced

1) He already announced to the media he's open for the business..

2) He said he doesn't know the value of the pick right now... and how could he? We haven't even done the combine yet!

And this isn't laying out plans for the draft at all - i don't get how people are connecting those dots

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

I agree with you. I really don't expect him to be telling us what he really thinks. I think he is shoveling the horse manure and anyone who wants to buy it, fine.

All I do know for sure is that they have plenty of work to do on their OL. They have an almost perfect storm this year between the aging of Wells and Dahl, the FA of Saffold, and the injury prone Long. If they can field a good OL without drafting OL high in this draft then they are magicians.