Les Snead On 101 This Afternoon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
iced wondering:
apparently it's worked out well for him and fisher - did you even listen to the audio? phxram posted the first segment
I don't know about jrry but I didn't even bother. I already know he's not going to be stupid enough to tell the truth about anything having to do with the draft or FA strategy. I respect him much more than that. The only time you can get the truth is after the fact.

At least that's my view.

iced

I don't know about jrry but I didn't even bother. I already know he's not going to be stupid enough to tell the truth about anything having to do with the draft or FA strategy. I respect him much more than that. The only time you can get the truth is after the fact.

At least that's my view.

play the segment - starts around 7:30 mark about drafting and developing... karakker asked the question

Last edited by a moderator:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
CMON MAN!!!!

Anyone on this site cannot be taking this "information" seriously right?????:slap:

Neither Snead or any other GM is going to go out at this time of year and say anything close to the truth. If anything he is trying to build the market for trading the 2nd pick and throw a bunch of nonsense out there to further confuse people.

Fans should just stay away from this garbage and enjoy the playoffs:nobait:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
BPA and need is what it sounds like to me. That doesn't preclude not taking an Olineman.Or a corner! :)

iced

CMON MAN!!!!

Anyone on this site cannot be taking this "information" seriously right?????:slap:

Neither Snead or any other GM is going to go out at this time of year and say anything close to the truth. If anything he is trying to build the market for trading the 2nd pick and throw a bunch of nonsense out there to further confuse people.

Fans should just stay away from this garbage and enjoy the playoffs:nobait:

I wouldn't go as far as that.

It's not like snead laid out his plans for the draft - not quite sure how people are trying to make that connection

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
apparently it's worked out well for him and fisher - did you even listen to the audio? phxram posted the first segment

Has it now. Because watching Stacy run into a brick wall against Seattle with the interior made up practice squad players, guys we picked up off the street and later round players really seemed to work out well.

Yes, they hit on Barksdale. Who was a 3rd round pick. We got lucky that Oakland went to a ZBS that he didn't fit and gave up on him too soon. The other good players on the OL? Pick #33 Rodger Saffold, Pick #1 Jake Long and...?

If their plan is to draft OLs in the late rounds and grab guys off the street/practice squads...might as well just cut Sam now so he can have a chance at a decent career. And we should draft Johnny Manziel. Why Manziel? Not because I think he's worth the #2 pick...but maybe with his running ability he performs a miracle.

Because I've had enough of watching garbage OLs. This was the first year in a long time where the Rams had a decent to good OL and that was because of players like Jake Long, Rodger Saffold, Joe Barksdale, Scott Wells and coach Paul Boudreau. If you want guys like that, you have to invest a pretty penny or a nice draft pick.

Alan

Legend
Smoke on the water, fire in the sky. :wink:
All that stuff about drafting and developing is generic and has nothing to do with this draft. Like all general principles, they apply to situations in general and not specifically.

Think about it for a moment Iced, why would a general tell the enemy what his battle plans were?

iced

Has it now. Because watching Stacy run into a brick wall against Seattle with the interior made up practice squad players, guys we picked up off the street and later round players really seemed to work out well.

right, because those interior players didn't give Zac stacy loads of running room in the first meet vs Seattle.. what was it, 142 yards?

and I'm sure losing jake long had no effect either on the 2nd game

PhxRam

I should probably take this to a PM but stocks? I assume you don't mean like GE or Apple. Is that somewhere on this page?

yeah exactly those stocks.. and any other other exchanged on the nyse

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
right, because those interior players didn't give Zac stacy loads of running room in the first meet vs Seattle.. what was it, 142 yards?

and I'm sure losing jake long had no effect either on the 2nd game

#1 Pick Jake Long? The guy we spent a nice chunk of change on? I think that pretty much validates my point. If the Rams want to improve their OL, don't dig through the garbage looking for gold. Use the amazing assets we have(draft picks) and go buy some gold.

PhxRam

I should probably take this to a PM but stocks? I assume you don't mean like GE or Apple. Is that somewhere on this page?

there is probably a whole bunch of crap in the menu bar that you dont know about. :heh:

iced

#1 Pick Jake Long? The guy we spent a nice chunk of change on? I think that pretty much validates my point. If the Rams want to improve their OL, don't dig through the garbage looking for gold. Use the amazing assets we have(draft picks) and go buy some gold.

oh I agree - I'm just not for spending a premium pick for a non-premium position... We didn't pay Jake Long to play any other position than LT, he's gonna be our LT for a long time.

top 5/10 pick on a LT when we have one already? Yes I understand he's versatile, but you don't spend a top 5 pick on a versatile/swing tackle when you already have a LT playing at a very high level. THAT would be stupid

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
True. But if you were in his shoes, would you give anything away?

I guess my style would be more like George Youngs. He would answer directly and say "I'm not telling you that."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
oh I agree - I'm just not for spending a premium pick for a non-premium position... We didn't pay Jake Long to play any other position than LT, he's gonna be our LT for a long time.

top 5/10 pick on a LT when we have one already? Yes I understand he's versatile, but you don't spend a top 5 pick on a versatile/swing tackle when you already have a LT playing at a very high level. THAT would be stupid

No, it's not. I don't share your opinion on premium vs. non-premium positions. On the field, I don't think LT really any more valuable than a LG or Center.

Nor do I think a WR is more valuable than a LG.

I will spend a top 5 pick on an elite talent like Jake Matthews. He'll be a Pro Bowler wherever we line him up. And if you want Sam to succeed, you want a strong OL. Sam can more than make it work with the WRs we have. He cannot make it work with the OL we have.

iced

No, it's not. I don't share your opinion on premium vs. non-premium positions. On the field, I don't think LT really any more valuable than a LG or Center.

I will spend a top 5 pick on an elite talent like Jake Matthews. He'll be a Pro Bowler wherever we line him up. And if you want Sam to succeed, you want a strong OL. Sam can more than make it work with the WRs we have. He cannot make it work with the OL we have.

I agree with you on the OL but I disagree with your philosophy in this particular case for this draft. If OT was clear cut the position, than yea - but it's not. There's tons of talent at the top and no one has truly separated from one another on such a high level - most people are looking at need/position vs actually talent value. Watkins is in top of this draft, if not one of the best players. I know i'm not the only one who believes this, even heard a few people on the radio mentioning him as the best player in this draft. I'm not nearly as high on matthews as you are, just like you're clearly not nearly as high as I am on watkins.

And I think we can get just as many talented guards/centers with the 13th, 2nd round, 3rd round, or whatever extra picks we get that will make our o-line much stronger. It's a good thing to have our tackles sewn up; and I hope we can resign saffold.. maybe we can get lucky and get alex mack in free agency, who knows what they're gonna do there.

But fortunately this is a deep draft in linemen - I like the guard from notredame as well as robinson from auburn..

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

You sound like a guy who has seen Belichick's draft board. He's drafted a OG in the first round but never a WR.

That garbage that Snead was passing out about not knowing the 5 guys who start for another team in the NFL made me laugh.

I only wish he could have gotten the Niners to believe it before they drafted Staley, Iupati, and Davis in the first round and pounded the crap out of everyone on their way to the SB last year.

But we are gonna do it with rejects and UFAs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with you on the OL but I disagree with your philosophy in this particular case for this draft. If OT was clear cut the position, than yea - but it's not. There's tons of talent at the top and no one has truly separated from one another on such a high level - most people are looking at need/position vs actually talent value. Watkins is in top of this draft, if not one of the best players. I know i'm not the only one who believes this, even heard a few people on the radio mentioning him as the best player in this draft. I'm not nearly as high on matthews as you are, just like you're clearly not nearly as high as I am on watkins.

I am taking talent. Matthews > Watkins on my board. Simple as that for me. Don't really understand why a person wouldn't like Matthews. He's pretty much flawless.

And I think we can get just as many talented guards/centers with the 13th, 2nd round, 3rd round, or whatever extra picks we get that will make our o-line much stronger. It's a good thing to have our tackles sewn up; and I hope we can resign saffold.. maybe we can get lucky and get alex mack in free agency, who knows what they're gonna do there.

But fortunately this is a deep draft in linemen - I like the guard from notredame as well as robinson from auburn..

Robinson is a top 8 pick. I don't know which Notre Dame player you're talking about. Could be Watt or Martin. I'm not a big fan of Watt. And Martin has a weak anchor in pass protection.

Alan

Legend
max thinking honesty is the best policy:
I guess my style would be more like George Youngs. He would answer directly and say "I'm not telling you that."
Never try to join the KGB max. Disinformation is so much more valuable than real information.