Les Snead: Case will be our starting qb at start of season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Snead is saying this in order to keep their plans concealed, and that is to draft a qb. They're not planning to add a FA qb, nor are they planning to trade for a qb already in the league----they're going to draft a guy that they expect to be ready at some point this season, unless they feel that Mannion can win the job later this season. Even if they got Goff/Wentz, they're not going to rush him into the job; notice the words "At the beginning of the season", which would indicate they plan on getting someone who is almost ready and would only need a small amount of adjustment time. Now, which qbs fit that description---2 or 3 perhaps. They plan to trade up and get one of the top 2 qbs, depending of course how the draft plays out. Having the extra 2nd, which they obtained by trading a qb, makes it very plausible to use that pick to obtain a qb. Knowing they plan on taking a qb, they're not going to sit there and HOPE that Lynch is there at 15, Cook will be there but is that a guy who they expect to start at some point in this season. By now we should all know not to believe what they say-----Fisher calls it "competitive advantage".

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I think we need to ask ourselves...

Are the Rams going to be better if they trade away all their premium picks to move up and draft a QB (Roll with the same WR and TE crew we already have)

or

Stay put and draft heavy on offense (WR and TE) and roll with Keenum and a significatly improved supporting cast.

I presonally prefer the second option. I think Keenum can thrive if he has a decent Oline and really good WR and TE targets. I hope we go WR, WR, TE with our first 3 picks.

Ram Man

Rookie
We all know from past experience that anything the Rams say about their QB situation during the off season is just as likely a to be a lie as it is to be the truth.

So far the Rams have been making the best of a bad situation in handling their QB needs. Free agent options are bad and expensive. High end prospects in the draft are limited in a weak year for QB's and the Rams pick 15th in the 1st round.

There may be 1 or 2 vet free agent QB's that are the odd man out after the other teams have decided who they want. It would not surprise me to see the Rams pick one up for next to nothing and also draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I believe Les I also believe that one of this triumvirate will be the Field General come October Morn.
images
images
View attachment 12606

Don't you mean quadrumvirate?!

image.jpg

Ram Man

Rookie
Source is rotoworld: Rams GM Les Snead said Case Keenum will be "our starter at the beginning of the season."

According to other reports this is not the "Case." Has been clarified to something like "our starter when OTA's begin."

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Any moderator care to merge this thread with the other identical thread we have going already?

Will do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-nfln-interpretation-of-les-sneads-comments/

Rams correct NFLN interpretation of Les Snead’s comments
Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptmwote0yzu4ogmxzjhknza4mje3ztjjzgqzyjgynwjm-e1448228337355.jpeg
AP

Les Snead said Case Keenum will be the starter at quarterback for the Rams “at the beginning of the season.” Unless he didn’t.

And Snead didn’t.

According to the Rams (and, more importantly,according to the video), Snead said only that Keenum will commence Organized Team Activities as the No. 1 quarterback. Which ultimately means little if anything to the identity of the starter to commence the regular season.

It means, as a practical matter, that Keenum will compete with Nick Foles plus whoever else they may add between now and Week One. It doesn’t mean Keenum won’t win the job. But it doesn’t mean he already has.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All they did was anoint Keenum as the incumbent starter. He earned that much respect. But that doesn't mean it's his job. It's just his job to lose. Whether that be Foles (ick), Mannion, or any QB they get in the draft or off another squad.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
All they did was anoint Keenum as the incumbent starter. He earned that much respect. But that doesn't mean it's his job. It's just his job to lose. Whether that be Foles (ick), Mannion, or any QB they get in the draft or off another squad.

You can't say "ick" on a football board, it's too "chickish". :p

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think we need to ask ourselves...

Are the Rams going to be better if they trade away all their premium picks to move up and draft a QB (Roll with the same WR and TE crew we already have)

or

Stay put and draft heavy on offense (WR and TE) and roll with Keenum and a significatly improved supporting cast.

I presonally prefer the second option. I think Keenum can thrive if he has a decent Oline and really good WR and TE targets. I hope we go WR, WR, TE with our first 3 picks.

I think this is the main conversation we should be having - and have had to some extent in other threads.

As I have said - I look around the league and I can see some pretty good supporting casts with - lets say bottom 4th of the league QBs - and I see those teams going nowhere.

I also see teams with top 4th of the league QBs and those teams are in the playoffs year after year even if their supporting cast is meh.

We honestly don't know how good or bad our WRs and TEs are - we haven't gotten to see them play with a top QB - ever. A good QB can throw a receiver open - and a bad QB can miss an open receiver.

I think we are just kidding ourselves thinking that we don't need one. If they believe that Case or Mannion has a future as a high quality starter in this league and just needs a bit of time to develop, then so be it - lets put the time in. But I have a hard time swallowing the old, we don't really need a good QB argument - because we clearly do, just like every other team does.

Britt, Quick, Tavon, and Steddy (if he comes back) is not a bad top 4 - would be nice if Quick got his groove back. Marquez looks like he may have a future on offense. Gurley may be the best back in the league for the next 10 years. We could use some TE help, but Harkey and Kendricks are NFL starting caliber guys - not Gronk, but who else is?

Its the most important position in football - and it isn't even close to the second or third most important position.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Will do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-nfln-interpretation-of-les-sneads-comments/

Rams correct NFLN interpretation of Les Snead’s comments
Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptmwote0yzu4ogmxzjhknza4mje3ztjjzgqzyjgynwjm-e1448228337355.jpeg
AP

Les Snead said Case Keenum will be the starter at quarterback for the Rams “at the beginning of the season.” Unless he didn’t.

And Snead didn’t.

According to the Rams (and, more importantly,according to the video), Snead said only that Keenum will commence Organized Team Activities as the No. 1 quarterback. Which ultimately means little if anything to the identity of the starter to commence the regular season.

It means, as a practical matter, that Keenum will compete with Nick Foles plus whoever else they may add between now and Week One. It doesn’t mean Keenum won’t win the job. But it doesn’t mean he already has.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Florio doesn't even know they have Mannion as well. Why does he even "report" on what the Rams are doing? The guy is the most clueless idiot in the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Florio doesn't even know they have Mannion as well. Why does he even "report" on what the Rams are doing? The guy is the most clueless idiot in the game.
5OZ4qug.png

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He hates Fisher and the Rams. He never misses an opportunity to talk bad about us no matter how stupid he usually looks in the end.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You can't trust anything anyone says at this stage of the off season.
And why should we. Julio Jones might be a Ram if the previous regime could keep people guessing. We are on a need to know basis and quite frankly, we don't need to know.

Plus, why tip our draft strategy at this point in time?
Exactly

I don't buy in to the whole "smoke screen" nonsense
Just doesn't look good on the team to be so hypocritical
I think you put too much into what these guys say. They generally calculate their responses and likely don't give a damn if people later on say, "but you said..."

Filing this under the category - do not believe anything you hear in March or April.

The Rams are moving up for a QB - I can feel it.
I get that same feeling. Guess we'll see but it wouldn't surprise me.

Either way, I'm not going to get too vested in any direction. We need the best players we can get. Other teams are trying to do the same thing - add the best players for their team. If someone grabs our player or if teams don't want to negotiate to our satisfaction, we have to go with the player that gives us the most when we hand in our ticket.

This^^^