Les Snead: Case will be our starting qb at start of season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well the league year has officially started so I guess "the season" could be considered TC?

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
It's a fair statement for him to make.

Even if we draft a rookie QB, unless he absolutely WOWS from day 1 it makes sense to slowly bring him in.

They even sat Aaron Donald for the first few games before really taking the reins off.

Plus, why tip our draft strategy at this point in time?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all know what this is about - they want to upset JT.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
doesn't mean anything IMHO ...doesn't mean we aren't making moves to draft a QB and wasn't there reports where Snisher had said they regret not having an open competition last year in camp and just anointing foles as the starter and they wouldn't make the same mistake again

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm just hoping they give him a contract extension like they did with Foles last year , because if there is one thing the Rams know , and that's Quarterbacks

And the Rams aren't moving to Los Angeles

4805845_orig.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-rams-will-have-open-qb-competition-in-2016/
"Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead says the franchise erred in handing the starting quarterback job to Nick Foles before the start of training camp last season.

Snead told Alex Marvez of SiriusXM NFL Radio that the Rams will have an open competition for the job in 2016 between Foles, Case Keenum, and any other quarterback that happens to be on the roster come July."

Then today
"G.M. Les Snead, appearing Monday on NFL Network, said that Case Keenum will be the starting quarterback “at the beginning of the season.”"

I don't buy in to the whole "smoke screen" nonsense
Just doesn't look good on the team to be so hypocritical

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
2 positions Fish is hesitant to start Rookies right away are QB and center.

This statement doesn't mean much. We knew the Rams weren't going after a vet to take Keenum's spot because there aren't great options out there especially at the current market value for a starting QB. Even if the Rams mortgage their draft to move up for a QB Keenum could be still be the starter to start the season because of Fisher aversion to starting rookie QBs. That doesn't mean a young guy wouldn't start at some point.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Keenum is better than his reputation I believe, he played well last season for us. If you surround him with decent weapons, I think we'd do pretty well. I don't think he'd be the reason we lost games if it comes down to that. He just might not be the reason we win them.

Obviously though, I would prefer this mean Keenum plays a few games until Paxton Lynch or whoever we take at QB is ready, and not just assume Case is our long term solution.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Couple things here RR...

First, Fish and Snead have both said things in the past that did not prove true with regard to the QB position. Snead also said there would be a competition. Fish said there would be a competition. So his quote is likely meaning beginning of season as start of camp. There are some QBs in this class who could compete with him relatively quickly, like Goff for example, but even if they move up and take Goff I think they make him win the competition. Snead has mentioned specifically that it was a mistake not to have a competition with Foles and that was echoed later by Fish so I believe them that the competition will take place.

Second, I don't think they view Case as a long term answer. I believe they see him as the placeholder, bridge guy for the young QB/s they're gonna bring in. If they move up for Goff I think there will be one rookie added due to less picks available. If they stand pat at 15 then I think they might take two QBs in the draft, something along the lines of Lynch at 15 if he's there and then another guy later like Hogan. Or maybe Prescott or Cook in round 2 and then Allen late rounds.

Chances are we will see Case for a while longer and I'm ok with that, provided they invest in the QB position in this draft. If they take Lynch for example, Case is gonna start this year. Mannion is a potential surprise candidate too, but if they were impressed with him I don't think they'd have made all the comments about adding one or two QBs and improving the QB room.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not sure why Snead's statement is so surprising.

Even if a trade up for Wentz or Goff were successful, I would be stunned if Fisher didn't start Keenum on opening day simply for the experience factor while the rookie was getting his feet on the ground.

So, barring an extremely unlikely trade for Fitz, or a miracle camp from Mannion, I think we are gonna see Keenum come opening day.

Now, mid season? Who knows?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Filing this under the category - do not believe anything you hear in March or April.

The Rams are moving up for a QB - I can feel it.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Just watched the interviews.He didn't even say Opening Day. He said opening day of OTAs leaving himself miles of wiggle room. So much can happen between then the opening day of the season

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What is the 2017 college QB crop like? If they really don't draft a QB high, maybe they fill up on WR and TE and shoot for a QB in 2017? This year is probably not going to be so great anyway with the team being a bunch of vagabonds. Maybe Fisher expects a lost season, high draft pick and better shot at one of the 2017 QBs. In the big picture it might be the best possible plan.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is the 2017 college QB crop like? If they really don't draft a QB high, maybe the fill up on WR and TE and shoot for a QB in 2017? This year is probably not going to be so great anyway with the team being a bunch of vagabonds. Maybe Fisher expects a lost season, high draft pick and better shot at one of the 2017 QBs. In the big picture it might be the best possible plan.

I really think this is the way it's going to go.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Any moderator care to merge this thread with the other identical thread we have going already?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe Les I also believe that one of this triumvirate will be the Field General come October Morn.
images
images
upload_2016-3-21_12-59-6.jpeg