Les Snead Better Be Right

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyway,

I'm glad we stuck with addressing our offense. It was our number 1 plan going into the draft, evident by all of the interviews beforehand and after.

I'm glad we stuck to our board. We addressed our needs by having players fall and didn't panic. Lamp may or may not have been good, honestly I don't care. With the pieces we got, it's only a matter of time until we turn it around.

Not everything was going to get fixed in 1 year.

I hope everything pans out. Kromer is worth putting faith in. I hope that he develops a good Center out of one of the guys on this roster and the OL improves. I think it's certainly possible. I'm very happy with the weapons we've gotten Goff. I think Kupp will make an immediate impact. I think Everett and Reynolds make take a little more time before they're full-time players, but both guys have a ton of upside and are worth the wait.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm confused, Prime Time. You quoted a post of me saying exactly that.

How about this?

You're speaking from a place of ignorance. If you respect my opinion and anyone else's opinion, you wouldn't attempt to tell us that we're wrong when you haven't put the work in.

I have no respect for people who take stances like this.

This tends to tick people off. When that happens they may not post as often, which is not what we want. Your opinion is your opinion, some will agree and some won't. That's the way it should be. But other's opinions should also be valued. It's a matter of tone.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If you can't, don't challenge another person who can.
That's pure bullshit. I am not about to do a bunch of research in order to appease your sense of etiquette on a sports board. Don't like that? Ignore it or go away. It's really pretty simple. You can do all the research you want and that is great. But if I think you are wrong - for WHATEVER reason - I can and will say it. Don't give me this don't challenge a poster crap. As long as a person is respectful he can challenge ANYONE'S assertions on here based on whatever he chooses to believe.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about this?

This tends to tick people off. When that happens they may not post as often, which is not what we want. Your opinion is your opinion, some will agree and some won't. That's the way it should be. But other's opinions should also be valued. It's a matter of tone.

That would warrant the same reply I gave you one post ago. I don't value somebody's opinion when they're telling me or someone else that they're wrong but haven't put in the work to know about the subject they're discussing.

If that ticks people off, so be it.

That's pure bullcrap. I am not about to do a bunch of research in order to appease your sense of etiquette on a sports board. Don't like that? Ignore it or go away. It's really pretty simple. You can do all the research you want and that is great. But if I think you are wrong - for WHATEVER reason - I can and will say it. Don't give me this don't challenge a poster crap. As long as a person is respectful he can challenge ANYONE'S assertions on here based on whatever he chooses to believe.

You and anyone else can do whatever you please. But when the person you challenged says to you, "Okay, break down why I'm wrong" and you can't do that, I have no respect for your opinion on that topic. That likely doesn't bother you. That's fine. It's the nice thing about the internet. If I don't respect your opinion, I can ignore your posts. If you don't respect my opinion, you can ignore my posts. At the end of the day, people will do what they want to do.

However, I do think you lose credibility when you do something like that. JMO.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I don't buy this theory at all and it's a theory that is very popular on this board. The theory is that we have good talent on offense, but Fisher was such a bad coach that they all played like crap. Fisher is a .500 coach in the league. He isn't great, he isn't good, but he's not totally abysmal. The guys on the offensive line weren't playing bad just because the coaching was bad (and it was) it was because they aren't that good of players. You win on offense and defense along the line of scrimmage. Having Donald, Brockwrs, and Quinn help the defense play well. The offense has a bunch of borderline starters and a very good LT, but he's 35 and his play and durability can easily jump off a cliff. Why this team doesn't consistently invest in the line with their draft picks baffles me. My main complaint with the Fisher and Snead regimes is that they didn't invest in the line until 2015. I think it was a mistake passing on Lamp.

All that being said, Everette is a great fit with McVay.

As a HC fisher is not totally abysmal.He did a pretty good job of developing a defense.

What jeff fisher was totally abysmal at, was any and everything offensively.
During fishers years as Rams HC,the Rams have drafted 24 offensive players.( 19 Def.)
11 of those players were taken in rounds 1-3.Of all these players,is there one player that you can label a solid starter?
Did we draft so bad that out of 24 players we couldn't draft a single solid starter?

So yea,coaching was the absolute number one culprit of the offensive dysfunction.
The hiring of inexperienced OC's ,Both in house and in over their head,with the
second being worse than the first.

The scheme as Faulk put it was "unsound".Easily exploited,predictable.
1.Teams knew what we were doing. 2. We didn't know what we were doing.

I have heard it called the most complicated to learn and one of the easiest
to predict.Watching our guys last year,they seemed to be really confused at
times.I don't care how good you are,if your playing confused or hesitant,your done.
Throw in inconsistent play calling and one of most pathetically undisciplined teams in the NFL.

So ,wanna name a player who is going to succeed in this environment?
Do we have a pro bowl oline? Nope.
Will they be much improved as a unit? Yep
And you will see some of these younger guys really come on
as the year progresses, because they will be well coached and
will be running schemes that are sound,learning things that make sense
seems to stick better.

In McSnead I trust

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You guys who think you can analyze a draft before they even get to practice crack me up:ROFLMAO:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys who think you can analyze a draft before they even get to practice crack me up:ROFLMAO:

Isn't that kind of the point? Gotta decide whom you bring in to practice. ;)

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
One thing I like about this draft is that even though Sneed is obviously on the hot seat with this draft.... he still went out and got guys he wanted...even though they may have been from small schools, or been looked at as "reaches". He could have played it safer.....but he traded back and got the guys he wanted. I mean if it's his last draft as the Rams GM he might as well go out taking some chances.

I can't be mad at Sneed with this draft.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I got to give my props to Sean - I really like the guy. I liked his honesty in the post draft presser too, I thought it was good what he said about the OL class this year, and the fact that Kromer is more excited by the guys already on our roster than the rookies in the draft class - apart from the UDFA we picked up that they had pencilled in the 7th round.

Our o-line was good a couple of years back (apart from GRob at LT) and I think we can definitely improve on last year's performance especially with Whitworth and Sullivan having been added. I'm wondering whether Jamon Brown is going to end up being trained up as a Centre?

FWIW @LoyalRam - from what I've seen. I believe next year's O-line class blows this one out of the water. I just think it was a very weak class this year, with most of the top guys being marginal starters and others being rotational guys or back up quality at best. I'm glad we didn't go all-in on line this year as I think it would have been a regression (again). There was a reason we went for Whitworth and Sullivan in FA.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I got to give my props to Sean - I really like the guy. I liked his honesty in the post draft presser too, I thought it was good what he said about the OL class this year, and the fact that Kromer is more excited by the guys already on our roster than the rookies in the draft class - apart from the UDFA we picked up that they had pencilled in the 7th round.

Our o-line was good a couple of years back (apart from GRob at LT) and I think we can definitely improve on last year's performance especially with Whitworth and Sullivan having been added. I'm wondering whether Jamon Brown is going to end up being trained up as a Centre?

FWIW @LoyalRam - from what I've seen. I believe next year's O-line class blows this one out of the water. I just think it was a very weak class this year, with most of the top guys being marginal starters and others being rotational guys or back up quality at best. I'm glad we didn't go all-in on line this year as I think it would have been a regression (again). There was a reason we went for Whitworth and Sullivan in FA.
It's ok...I just point out that Sullivan is hardly a strong starter at a position we have neglected FOREVER. Love Whitworth.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It's ok...I just point out that Sullivan is hardly a strong starter at a position we have neglected FOREVER. Love Whitworth.

Agree about Sullivan, but I think he's an upgrade from Barnes - IF he remains healthy. I just have a feeling that Kromer is going to find a C from the guys we have on our roster - Anthony McMeans, Jake Eldrenkamp (UDFAs) or Jamon Brown maybe?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree about Sullivan, but I think he's an upgrade from Barnes - IF he remains healthy. I just have a feeling that Kromer is going to find a C from the guys we have on our roster - Anthony McMeans, Jake Eldrenkamp (UDFAs) or Jamon Brown maybe?
Yes, this is what we are left with (making do with what we have)...My original point was that aside from the one draft where Fisher went crazy by drafting Oline, we rarely get interior linemen in the draft that are highly graded. Lamp was the best in this class...Pocic would have been a nice player to get to challenge Sullivan....Let's hope Kromer is a miracle worker....

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yes, this is what we are left with (making do with what we have)...My original point was that aside from the one draft where Fisher went crazy by drafting Oline, we rarely get interior linemen in the draft that are highly graded. Lamp was the best in this class...Pocic would have been a nice player to get to challenge Sullivan....Let's hope Kromer is a miracle worker....

I wasn't taken by the OL men this year - Lamp has his limitations IMO and Will Clapp (LSU) is/was much better than Pocic again IMO. FWIW I really like Mason Cole (Michigan) or Clapp for C in next year's draft and Maea Teuhema (G, LSU) the guy that opened holes for Fournette ;)

Psycho_X

Legend
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I got to give my props to Sean - I really like the guy. I liked his honesty in the post draft presser too, I thought it was good what he said about the OL class this year, and the fact that Kromer is more excited by the guys already on our roster than the rookies in the draft class - apart from the UDFA we picked up that they had pencilled in the 7th round..

Agreed completely, McVay is a refreshing change from what we've had over the years. Fisher with his coy smile responses he gives everyone like he thinks he knows something everyone else doesn't... no, everyone knew your offense was a disaster for years. Or Spags and his paranoia taking out GSOT pics from Rams Park and never seeming like he belonged in a head coaching position. Or Linehan who never quite seemed secure about himself either and often had spats with stars like Torry Holt. Or even Martz and his "shoot we'll fix that".

I must say, this is the first HC we've had since Vermeil who seems pretty genuine and completely likeable. He is infectious in a good way and I really, really hope he is as successful as his smile and attitude is lol. I think we'll see a completely different energy on the sidelines this year and it'll resonate to the players as well. Will be a nice change.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Agreed completely, McVay is a refreshing change from what we've had over the years. Fisher with his coy smile responses he gives everyone like he thinks he knows something everyone else doesn't... no, everyone knew your offense was a disaster for years. Or Spags and his paranoia taking out GSOT pics from Rams Park and never seeming like he belonged in a head coaching position. Or Linehan who never quite seemed secure about himself either and often had spats with stars like Torry Holt. Or even Martz and his "shoot we'll fix that".

I must say, this is the first HC we've had since Vermeil who seems pretty genuine and completely likeable. He is infectious in a good way and I really, really hope he is as successful as his smile and attitude is lol. I think we'll see a completely different energy on the sidelines this year and it'll resonate to the players as well. Will be a nice change.

Agreed 100%. I love McVay's (and Sead's) enthusiasm this offseason and I too hope it rubs off on the players. McVay looks like he's enjoying himself, I want the players to feel that too. When you enjoy your sport, you're more likely to succeed IMO.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Isn't that kind of the point? Gotta decide whom you bring in to practice. ;)
LOL I hear you but I think there are 2 different evaluations before the draft and after the career. In between who knows what all the pieces where that came down to the selection and what is revealed through scheme, ability and injuries.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
whew....I just read it all....love the post....

I think if Lamp was a guaranteed center...he'd be in horns. I think he's a fantastic player....has good tape vs a top team and future pros...I can assure you Phillip Rivers is a happy man with Lamp & Feeney in tow....
Wonder why he has highlights of 2 years ago and not much else though.
Take a peek at that Rueben Foster hi-light...that's Davis he's knocking out...game one...he was never the same...LOL...or so it seemed.
With loaded depth, I just don't see where Lamp fits in.
At Center.....

Are we supposed to draft him in the 2'nd round and sit him while he learns a new position, do the Rams have this luxury ?
Maybe? I'm very worried about post back surgery guys over 30...How old is Quinn???

What happened in this draft? It was the first time in the modern era that no OL was taken in the top 20 picks. Do you think that had an effect on what happened to the interior OLs? Do you think this being a very strong defensive draft at the top had an effect on where the interior OLs went? Steve Smith mentioned in his interview with Josh Reynolds that the second and third tier WRs would get pushed down the board because of how talented the draft is on defense.(which all goes back to my point about the flow of the draft)
Totally agree...the depth of defensive talent...RB's....and the run on QB's pushed everyone back....I thought the 5th round had more talent than ever....