LeGarrette Blount: Rams 'bail' in 1-on-1 tackling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Mo Alexander has really disappointed me lately. He came out of college as one of the best tackling safeties available and now he looks like Carson Palmer trying to take down a D-lineman.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mo Alexander has really disappointed me lately. He came out of college as one of the best tackling safeties available and now he looks like Carson Palmer trying to take down a D-lineman.

He tackles just fine when the play is in front of him. He just got caught out of position and on his heels. He couldn't recover to make the hit. Blount would have either juked him or shrugged him off without Mo's weight behind the tackle.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams gave up more than 25 points in 3 games last year.
This year they have given up 25 or more points in 6 of their 12 games
Despite being fairly healthy, the defense has taken a step back this year
Exactly . Some guys think they are a great defense but I don't see it .

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

Barron loses the edge and gets sealed. WTH is Tru doing? He looks to be tackling Barron?! Mo had an angle to possibly force Blount to the sidelines but then flattens his angle allowing Blount to cut back leaving Mo zig-zaging down the field only to whiff on the tackle. IMO, Blount would have gotten the first down but not a TD if Barron keeps the edge and Tru plays with his head up when taking on the H-Back's block . We were really out-manned to the outside on this play, but mistakes like this cannot happen with two of or most veteran players on the field. No way no how.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly . Some guys think they are a great defense but I don't see it .
They have the potential for being great, that's for sure. They play great at times, that also is for sure.
But great? Not this year.
The Dolphins came is a microcosm of the season. They held them down the whole game then couldn't stop them for 5 minutes.

A55VA6

Legend
Our defense doesn't look so good against top offensive competition. We're good against familiar opponents and teams with bad to average offenses. We're a solid defense, trying to become a great defense.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Barron loses the edge and gets sealed. WTH is Tru doing? He looks to be tackling Barron?! Mo had an angle to possibly force Blount to the sidelines but then flattens his angle allowing Blount to cut back leaving Mo zig-zaging down the field only to whiff on the tackle. IMO, Blount would have gotten the first down but not a TD if Barron keeps the edge and Tru plays with his head up when taking on the H-Back's block . We were really out-manned to the outside on this play, but mistakes like this cannot happen with two of or most veteran players on the field. No way no how.

Looked to me like the mistake was Tru...Looked like Barron already had a gap and Tru went to the same spot...Left nobody to cover a bounce outside...Mo got turned around about 3 times and was over matched big time on the play...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Looked to me like the mistake was Tru...Looked like Barron already had a gap and Tru went to the same spot...Left nobody to cover a bounce outside...Mo got turned around about 3 times and was over matched big time on the play...
We were in bad position from the start. I get we loaded the box thinking they were going to bulldoze Blount up the middle leaving the outside edges weak in case they did run outside. McDaniels made the right call. I would have done exactly what they did knowing both Donald and Brockers are in the "A" gaps, with Ogletree too, so the best areas to run are outside the guards. The one thing with Barron is, even though he might have been in the right gap, I believe he needs to keep his outside shoulder free so he can squeeze the play inward allowing the defense to rally. The tackle-eligible TE just pushed him inside and took away our ability to defend/hold the edge, but Tru just came flying in for the knockout shot, only to knock Barron and himself out of the play.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Tru was the problem. Barron had the Gap and Tru tackled him from behind for no reason whatsoever. that was about the dumbest play I have ever seen Tru make.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On the play in question, Alexander was the last man back IIRC. If he goes for the tackle there and misses it's a TD. He was trying to get in Blount's running lane to slow him down so that reinforcements could arrive and ensure the play was put to an end. You can argue the merits of that decision. But I don't think it had anything to do with "bailing"....
+1

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Le-FUCKoff Blount.

And stop rubbing all up on Fisher. Please try and contain yourself on the sideline. How embarrassing.

Bruce2980

Starter
We were in bad position from the start. I get we loaded the box thinking they were going to bulldoze Blount up the middle leaving the outside edges weak in case they did run outside. McDaniels made the right call. I would have done exactly what they did knowing both Donald and Brockers are in the "A" gaps, with Ogletree too, so the best areas to run are outside the guards. The one thing with Barron is, even though he might have been in the right gap, I believe he needs to keep his outside shoulder free so he can squeeze the play inward allowing the defense to rally. The tackle-eligible TE just pushed him inside and took away our ability to defend/hold the edge, but Tru just came flying in for the knockout shot, only to knock Barron and himself out of the play.
Barron did his job. He took on two blockers and tried to split the block to make the tackle in the back field. Tru looked the fool, WTF was he doing? He should have been the outside contain, isn't he the DB? Don't they play on the outside? Isn't Barron a LB? Don't they play more towards the middle? Barron committed first, Tru should have reacted to the play rather than follow the leader.

Bruce2980

Starter
Le-FUCKoff Blount.

And stop rubbing all up on Fisher. Please try and contain yourself on the sideline. How embarrassing.
Ha, Blount was cut by Fisher, it's no wonder he was talking smack to Fisher, especially after Fisher's comments on the Cheatriots RBs.

Bruce2980

Starter
Tru was the problem. Barron had the Gap and Tru tackled him from behind for no reason whatsoever. that was about the dumbest play I have ever seen Tru make.
As soon as I saw Tru make that move, Blount had the edge, I yelled TD, not out of excitement, but out of pure dumbfounded frustration:cry:

KJD_Ram

Rookie
Well...I've seen Blount hurdle people to avoid contact, so he's got no room to talk...

But seriously, this is the NFL, nobody is afraid.....I remember reading the same crap from the Hags.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Barron did his job. He took on two blockers and tried to split the block to make the tackle in the back field. Tru looked the fool, WTF was he doing? He should have been the outside contain, isn't he the DB? Don't they play on the outside? Isn't Barron a LB? Don't they play more towards the middle? Barron committed first, Tru should have reacted to the play rather than follow the leader.
Sorry, but I disagree. Barron got washed out by a 300 lb. lineman. He is an undersized LBer and should not be taking on a guy at least 75 pounds heavier. IMO, this is their goal line defense, so he and Tru are responsible for edge contain. Tru would have been responsible for anyone going out for a pass, but Barron is the edge contain with Tru assisting if it's not a pass. Barron got washed down and Tru only added to the debacle.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Ha, Blount was cut by Fisher, it's no wonder he was talking smack to Fisher, especially after Fisher's comments on the Cheatriots RBs.

Yeah... no.

Blount was showing real affection. More than just a hug... there was actual caressing by Blountster.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Face it, Blount is also a very good hard running/hitting back. I was all for us signing him as an UDFA back in the day on the old board. I was laughed at, and very much criticized. To this day, I wish we would have signed him.. Someone says something about my mother, I spit in their face too. :cool: