LeGarrette Blount: Rams 'bail' in 1-on-1 tackling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Face it, Blount is also a very good hard running/hitting back. I was all for us signing him as an UDFA back in the day on the old board. I was laughed at, and very much criticized. To this day, I wish we would have signed him.. Someone says something about my mother, I spit in their face too. :cool:

What? Ya he's a star 88 yards is elite. He is a average back and that's it

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
What? Ya he's a star 88 yards is elite. He is a average back and that's it
5th is rushing yards and leads the league in rushing td's with 13. Wish we had that average production....

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
5th is rushing yards and leads the league in rushing td's with 13. Wish we had that average production....

And what do you think his stats would be on this team? People read way to much in to stats it's a team sport he is not a special back he is on a good team that teams have to account for Brady. You think teams come in saying we need to stop Blount? Don't think so

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
And what do you think his stats would be on this team? People read way to much in to stats it's a team sport he is not a special back he is on a good team that teams have to account for Brady. You think teams come in saying we need to stop Blount? Don't think so
Actually, if the coaches want to win, I'm sure they do say part of that is stopping him. To say he's a non factor and doesn't factor in the game plan is wrong IMO.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Actually NE doesn't have a stellar OL either.. How much of the league have ya watched? The OL is their weak link too. Just saying.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Actually NE doesn't have a stellar OL either.. How much of the league have ya watched? The OL is their weak link too. Just saying.

NE has a bad oline? Could have fooled me but ok whatever you say.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Tru was the problem. Barron had the Gap and Tru tackled him from behind for no reason whatsoever. that was about the dumbest play I have ever seen Tru make.
Yes but why the hell did Barron have that gap instead of outside contain when there was no DE on outside contain? It is terrible scheme to put a CB into primary outside contain. CB's are secondary outside contain; DEs and LBs play outside contain for a reason -- they are better suited for it and know how to do it against big body blockers, as opposed to a CB.

Go back and look at the defense alignment on that play... a 4-3 shift with the weakside OLB playing 4 yards off the line? On 4th-and-1? NE brought an extra OL on the left side and the Rams took the bait and shifted towards it, leaving absolutely zero LB or DE on the other side line of scrimmage when Hayes slid down outside shade of the *guard*. That left two undersized guys responsible for weak side run responsibility versus the TE, OT and lead back. The Pats could collapse the edge in their sleep. It's almost as if the Rams expected they were subbing in another DE or something (that would have made more sense on 4th-and-1) but that didn't happen.

So yes the players were bad, but this is part of the undersized experiment the Rams run on defense. They expect guys like Barron that can't shed blocks to react & destroy with their speed like a missile into whatever gap they guess, which means giving up plays like this in tradeoff for more stuffs. Tru tried the same penetration (like he does very well on WR screens), but as a CB he doesn't understand that's not the time to do it if you are the only outside contain -- and besides those were real blockers, not WRs.

Basically, the Rams got outcoached and outschemed here. The Pats diagnosed the Rams weakness of undersized defense then used personnel to move the Rams alignment tendency right where they wanted it to put themselves into even further advantage. That's just good football and the type of offensive coordination we haven't seen since Martz?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Yes but why the hell did Barron have that gap instead of outside contain when there was no DE on outside contain? It is terrible scheme to put a CB into primary outside contain. CB's are secondary outside contain; DEs and LBs play outside contain for a reason -- they are better suited for it and know how to do it against big body blockers, as opposed to a CB.

Go back and look at the defense alignment on that play... a 4-3 shift with the weakside OLB playing 4 yards off the line? On 4th-and-1? NE brought an extra OL on the left side and the Rams took the bait and shifted towards it, leaving absolutely zero LB or DE on the other side line of scrimmage when Hayes slid down outside shade of the *guard*. That left two undersized guys responsible for weak side run responsibility versus the TE, OT and lead back. The Pats could collapse the edge in their sleep. It's almost as if the Rams expected they were subbing in another DE or something (that would have made more sense on 4th-and-1) but that didn't happen.

So yes the players were bad, but this is part of the undersized experiment the Rams run on defense. They expect guys like Barron that can't shed blocks to react & destroy with their speed like a missile into whatever gap they guess, which means giving up plays like this in tradeoff for more stuffs. Tru tried the same penetration (like he does very well on WR screens), but as a CB he doesn't understand that's not the time to do it if you are the only outside contain -- and besides those were real blockers, not WRs.

Basically, the Rams got outcoached and outschemed here. The Pats diagnosed the Rams weakness of undersized defense then used personnel to move the Rams alignment tendency right where they wanted it to put themselves into even further advantage. That's just good football and the type of offensive coordination we haven't seen since Martz?

oh I agree with you but you cant excuse Tru for what he did. that isn't coaching that's just a god awful play by Tru. he ran straight in to Barron back and tried to tackle him. sometimes you have to make a play that you weren't supposed to. if he goes outside blount gets maybe 1 yard or at least is stopped and ran out of bounds after the first down.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
oh I agree with you but you cant excuse Tru for what he did. that isn't coaching that's just a god awful play by Tru. he ran straight in to Barron back and tried to tackle him. sometimes you have to make a play that you weren't supposed to. if he goes outside blount gets maybe 1 yard or at least is stopped and ran out of bounds after the first down.
Oops I re-watched and I had Tru & Barron mixed up, so disregard my ramblings!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
NE has a bad oline? Could have fooled me but ok whatever you say.
Mediocre, not bad. A lot of the lack of hits/sacks on Brady is from scheming - they're very good at taking away any one individual performer, and they're very good at getting the ball out fast. Much of the rest of it is Brady himself - it's hard to overstate how spending 17 years in the same offensive system lets you know what's going to happen before a play is run, meaning you shave precious seconds off the time you're holding the ball in the pocket.