LeGarrette Blount: Rams 'bail' in 1-on-1 tackling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000751097/article/patriots-blount-rams-bail-in-1on1-tackling

• 0ap3000000408080.jpg
  • By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Dec. 4, 2016 at 05:42 p.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 4, 2016 at 05:58 p.m.

The Rams hit hard in groups, but Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount isn't all that impressed with their solo tackling skills.

Blount busted loose on a 43-yard touchdown Sunday to open up scoring amid a 26-10 blowout win. The Rams' edge defenders were all sucked inside, allowing the power back to chug all the way into the end zone.

"We know they bail when it's one-on-one tackling," Blount said, via The Boston Herald.

On his long touchdown run, it appeared like one Rams defender was actually running away from Blount.

"I can't recall a time when I've ever seen that," he said.

Blount's digs at L.A. didn't end there. He was asked about Rams head coach Jeff Fisher who, earlier this week, referenced "Brandon and Danny" when talking about the Patriots running backs (potentially Brandon Bolden and former Patriots running back Danny Woodhead, though the Rams clarified that Fisher was talking about former Rams receiver Danny Amendola). Fisher also talked about his appreciation for Blount.

"He already knew my name," Blount said. "I think he knows James (White) and Dion (Lewis) now for sure, though."

White had four catches for 18 yards and three rushes for 17 yards. Lewis rushed five times for 27 yards and caught four balls for 11 yards. Blount finished the game as the leading rusher, with 88 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries.

While this was a dismal performance across the board for Los Angeles, having their tough-guy defense called into question has to hurt the most. This was their calling card in 2016, absent any momentum on offense. If the defense starts to buckle as well, what is left for them to count on?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This guy is brutally honest and correct. I mean he knows first hand this isnt 3rd person this is coming from a guy who steamrolled us. But whatever this team is heading into a blackhole...

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams D is nothing special . Take a look at some of the scores this year . Last week the juggernaut Saints put 49 on them only to score 13 at home this week to the Lions . The Pats could've put 50 on them if they needed too. The whole team is lousy right now .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Players Need to Player better, Coaches need to Coach Better....Next Question!

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Funny. I just saw a Carolina panther do the same thing against the Seattle.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

I think this might be part of the problem with the defense right now. And I can't say I blame them.

With Fisher securing an extension, I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole team go into full auto-pilot mode and just hope they can have a better campaign next year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The last thing anyone wants to do is break a collarbone and get cut or not get extended.

Cuz, ya know...that's the biz.

Oh, and this is why I really miss JL. He was a wrapping up machine. Nothing glamorous and I dunno if he thumped anyone...ever. But he wrapped up like no LB we've had in a long while.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Also, the Rams are a lot of bad things. And I've been extremely critical lately. But one thing they don't do is bail on tackles or seek to avoid contact on defence.

In fact, our defense always looking to crush the opposition is one of our bigger downfalls. We're never content to just wrap up and bring a guy down. Instead, everyone is looking for the kill shot with his shoulder. This shoddy tackling form burns us countless times per game as opposing players bounce off our would-be big hits. This is another reason why I have lost patience with Gregg Williams and want him fired along with Fisher. He can't discipline his troops. Nor can he find ways to combat even the simplest plays opposing offences use to burn us, even if they use that same play 100x per game (runs to the outside this afternoon; screen passes vs New Orleans).

On the play in question, Alexander was the last man back IIRC. If he goes for the tackle there and misses it's a TD. He was trying to get in Blount's running lane to slow him down so that reinforcements could arrive and ensure the play was put to an end. You can argue the merits of that decision. But I don't think it had anything to do with "bailing"....

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
The Rams D is nothing special . Take a look at some of the scores this year . Last week the juggernaut Saints put 49 on them only to score 13 at home this week to the Lions . The Pats could've put 50 on them if they needed too. The whole team is lousy right now .

Not special? OK

But considering the Saints blow out and today's game, the Rams are a top 10 defense in yards and 12th in points allowed.

Don't think I agree with the put 50 on them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Blount is full of shit. Trash talking a team after a game is needless stupidity at its best. I never saw Donald, Brockers, Hayes, Simms, TJ, Alec, Tru, etc shy away from tackling. Blount is trying to puff himself up to make it look like he is great. He got 88 yards, Big deal. Most of them were on one run.

I do see Mo take bad angles and get caught back backpedaling on tackles to avoid getting jumped. He is not as good as Rodney was at being a missile, but he makes ole th of hard hits running up to the line.

Criticizing the Rams for making gang tackles is akin to criticizing Brady for using good footwork in the pocket. Blount is a fitting name, because he ain't to sharp.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The last thing anyone wants to do is break a collarbone and get cut or not get extended.

Cuz, ya know...that's the biz.

Oh, and this is why I really miss JL. He was a wrapping up machine. Nothing glamorous and I dunno if he thumped anyone...ever. But he wrapped up like no LB we've had in a long while.

That was one of the reasons the cheats won 3 Superbowls in 4 years. Well apart from all their cheating. When their lbers had to make a tackle the runner hit them and went straight to the ground. Didn't gain another yard. They knew how to tackle properly. None of this shoulders only head down crap. But don't blame the players as this is a coaching issue. Always has been. Time for a complete coaching overhaul.

FRO

Legend
It's not just a Rams problem, but it seems like defenders go for the kill shots over solid wrap up tackles. Every week you see offensive players bounce off these defenders.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams gave up more than 25 points in 3 games last year.
This year they have given up 25 or more points in 6 of their 12 games
Despite being fairly healthy, the defense has taken a step back this year

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought Blount & Fish were friends?

Seems opponents love to kick this team when down. I wonder why?

Mo Alexander is proving to be a pretty good player, that's new to a position...and the coaching. I guess 3 SS on the field at one time, hell, maybe Ogletree is a blown up SS too, isn't a great thing? Rather, these guys are gonna take time to jell into their roles....

run defense....soft....never thought this would be insinuated about this team...:giveup::palm:

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Concerning Mo on that play. From what I saw it looked like he was out of position and had a bad angle......he then did what most who have played football and were coached to do.........contain the runner so your teammates can take him down.

He tried to keep himself between Blount and the endzone while several other Rams trailed behind the runner. Problem was is that the Rams defense is barely average and the secondary is junk. No one did their job and in hindsight Mo should have just tried to take him down.

The Rams are the opposite of the Patriots......no one does their job.....it's a Fisher trait.