Lamarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with this head scratcher:
Quite well for both of those guys, actually. Not sure why you'd use them as examples?
:cautious:

TEMPE, Ariz. – There are worse knee injuries to have than the one Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu suffered Sunday against the St. Louis Rams. Then again, there are better ones.

Mathieu tore his ACL and LCL in a gruesome hit while returning a free kick. He initially knew something was wrong with his left knee, but the severity of the injury wasn’t clear until he began walking off the field and it buckled, the result of his LCL being injured.

He underwent surgery Friday performed by team doctors Doug Freedburg and Gary Waslewski in Arizona.

While details of Mathieu’s specific injury are unknown, the surgery to repair both ligaments can be complex because of the LCL, according to doctors.

[+] Enlarge
Rob Foldy/USA TODAY SportsPrior to suffering his season-ending knee injury, Arizona safety Tyrann Mathieu was a candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year.
“When you have those combination of ligament injuries, you have a markedly unstable situation in the knee,” said Dr. Neal Elattrache, an orthopedic surgeon at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles and the team physician for the Los Angeles Dodgers. “This does increase the complexity of the problem.”

Elattrache has operated on the likes of Kobe Bryant and Blake Griffin, and worked on New England quarterbackTom Brady’s knee, which was also a multi-ligament injury.

If all goes well, Elattrache said the type of surgery Mathieu had lasts about two hours. But depending on what condition the LCL is in can dictate if Mathieu will have at least one or two surgeries. There are three primary options for how the LCL could look when doctors began surgery on Friday. It was either shredded, torn off the femur or severed in the middle.

Ideally, Elattrache added, the ligament disconnects as one piece of tissue and the whole sleeve of tissue can be replaced with grafts. But “often times that’s not the case,” he added, and ligaments are reconstructed with tissue.

The lateral ligament, Elattrache said, is a “complex of several different bands” which stabilize the knee. The LCL is essentially responsible for the elasticity of the knee when it bows out or rotates.

Initial reports, even one by Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Monday, put Mathieu’s timetable for surgery at eight to 10 days. But Elattrache said ACL and LCL surgeries are typically moved up – Mathiue had his at five days – so doctors can get into the knee before scarring begins and so they can see the knee in its natural state.

Ideally, Elattrache said, doctors want to repair the LCL with “native tissue” instead of having to graft a ligament from either a cadaver or other areas of the body such as the hamstring. Typically, if doctors opt for two surgeries, the LCL is repaired first because it needs to be immobilized after being repaired then the ACL is repaired.

“The lateral side is a little bit more tenuous,” Elattrache said. “If you allow those lateral tissues to stretch out too early, then as the body regrows the tissue, they’ll heal in a slack fashion.”

The LCL is very unlike the ACL, which is immediately stable and able to have weight-bearing pressure on it after surgery. But also unlike post-LCL surgery, ACL recovery begins with mobilizing the knee, extending it as straight as possible.

That’s why athletes, including Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson, can come back so quickly from ACL injuries. That’s not the case with LCLs.

If Mathieu has to have two surgeries, they’re usually about six to 12 weeks apart, which gives the LCL enough time to heal.

In his experience, Elattrache said it’s possible for football players to return to their previous performance level after this type of surgery. But contrary to popular belief, he said, when football players undergo ACL injuries, only about 70 percent return to their prior level. With LCL injuries, that injury drops to about 50 percent. However, in Mathieu’s case, it helps that he’s 21, said Stephania Bell, ESPN's injury analyst and physical therapist.

Mathieu didn’t have to look far to see an example of a player who returned from this severe of a knee injury.

[+] Enlarge
Kevin Jairaj/USA TODAY SportsMathieu's Arizona teammate Jim Dray has proven that a player can overcome a severe knee injury.
Teammate Jim Dray, a Cardinals tight end, blew out his ACL and LCL, among a litany of other ligaments, while he was at Stanford University. Through a brutal rehab after multiple surgeries, Dray put in long hours, usually going for two sessions a day, including Christmas and Thanksgiving, in order to return to the field.

Four years into an NFL career, his knee is holding up.

“Everybody has a rehab process and it’s more up to the person, how mentally tough they are,” said Dray, whose rehab took about 10 months. “Invest the time because no one’s watching you. You’re doing it yourself.

“The things that he’s been through already in terms of overcoming obstacles off the field, he already has the mental toughness so I don’t think it’s going to be an issue at all for him to go through the rehab.”

Mathieu may have handled Dray’s advice in stride, but he doesn’t know what’s in store. Mathieu said Wednesday that he’ll sit down with team doctors and trainers to establish a rehab plan.

But, Elattrache said, rehab doesn’t usually start until about four to six weeks after surgery, which is all spent on crutches to immobilize the knee.

Bell said how the knee responds in the immediate aftermath of LCL surgery depends on if the ligament was repaired or reconstructed. The first goal, she said, is to reduce the swelling and that’s mainly done by staying off the knee.

“The first couple months are really boring,” she said.

While the knee is immobilized, rehab usually begins by working on “small muscles,” which includes keeping the ankle loose so Mathieu’s gait doesn’t become compromised, and core and hip exercises to remain stable.

“Athletes will often say that it’s like they had to learn to walk all over again,” Bell said. “That’s not something they expect. They figure they’re going to do some exercises, and do some walking and running and [they’re] really learning how to walk again.”

After spending a few months waiting for the LCL to heal enough to start motion exercises, it becomes like other rehabs in terms of the progression.

Mathieu will most likely start small, with leg strengthening and balance exercises. Bell calls it “functional training.”

She said a large part of LCL rehab is working on coordination. And once the athlete is cleared, she said, they usually start jogging then running then agility training for their sport.

But how long that takes can vary from person to person. It’s a slow process and the first few months are crucial to making sure the rest of the rehab goes smoothly. Pain is typically gone within a few weeks, Bell said, and then swelling is the next major concern.

Any time the knee is overworked or a slight tweak here or twist there can cause the knee to swell which sets back rehab a few days while the swelling goes down. And the athlete can’t usually progress until the knee doesn’t swell.

There will be things in his rehab that Mathieu can’t control, like how strong his ligaments are or how clean his joints are. Then there are things he can control.

“What you can control is how hard you work,” Bell said. “That’s being committed to the rehab. That’s also respecting the restrictions. If they tell you you can’t put X amount of weight on it, the player needs to be really respectful of that, because pushing too hard can make you go in the wrong direction.”

Mathieu’s heard from Dray and others about what it’ll take to regain his form that led him to the top of the defensive rookie of the year list.

There have been estimations on how long it’ll take for him to return to the field. Eight months. Nine months. Not until after training camp.

No one can accurately make that prediction -- except Mathieu.

“Just take it one day at a time,” he said. “Just do everything the trainers and [head Cardinals trainer] Tom [Reed] tells you to do and just do it. They said the more work you put into it the better results you get. Hopefully I can dedicate rehab and my knee like I do football and hopefully everything will be alright.”

WASHINGTON (AP)
Robert Griffin III had surgery to repair two ligaments in his troublesome right knee Wednesday morning, said a person familiar with the situation.

The Washington Redskins quarterback had his knee repaired by orthopedist James Andrews in Florida. The doctor had already diagnosed a torn lateral collateral ligament in his right knee. The person said Andrews also found and repaired damage found in Griffin's ACL.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Redskins had not made an announcement about the latest details surrounding the rookie quarterback's injury.

Now comes RG3's next challenge: a race against time to get healthy before the beginning of next season.

Griffin's recovery time will take several months at least but could extend into next season, depending on the extent of the damage. The process could also be speeded up because Griffin is known as a focused, determined competitor who would be expected to take his rehab as seriously as possible.

''Thank you for your prayers and support. I love God, my family, my team, the fans, & I love this game. See you guys next season,'' Griffin tweeted before the surgery began.

Athletes generally need nine to 12 months to make a full recovery from a torn ACL, althoughMinnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson made a remarkable return this season about eight months after tearing an ACL - and nearly broke the NFL's single-season rushing record.

Russ Paine, a physical therapist in Houston who worked with Peterson during his rehab, said the running back's timetable for returning to competition was in fact ''pretty traditional.''

''What's non-traditional is him almost breaking the rushing record,'' Paine said in a phone interview Wednesday.

Griffin reinjured his knee at least twice in Sunday's playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks, prompting a national debate over whether coach Mike Shanahan endangered Griffin's career by not taking the team's franchise player out of the game sooner.

The first major injury to the knee came in 2009, when Griffin tore the ACL in the third game of the season while playing for Baylor. Griffin missed the rest of the year but returned in 2010 and won the Heisman Trophy in 2011.

Griffin sprained the LCL last month when he was hit byBaltimore Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata at the end of a 13-yard scramble. Griffin missed one game and returned to play three more while wearing a bulky knee brace, his mobility clearly hindered.

Then, on Sunday, Griffin hurt the knee again as he fell awkwardly while throwing a pass in the first quarter against the Seahawks. He remained in the game, with Shanahan saying he trusted Griffin's word that all was OK.

Griffin finally departed in the fourth quarter, after the knee buckled while he was trying to field a bad shotgun snap.

The No. 2 overall pick in last year's draft, Griffin was one of several rookie quarterbacks to make an instant impact on the NFL this season. He set the league record for best season passer rating by a rookie QB and led the Redskins to their first NFC East title in 13 years.

But he also had to leave three games early due to injuries - two because of his knee and one because of a concussion - and missed a fourth altogether because of the knee.

Robert Griffin III gave Washington another injury scare Sunday evening, but it does not look to be serious.
The second-year pro was knocked out of the game with a left knee injury late in the fourth quarter of the Redskins' 45-21 loss to the Denver Broncos. Dr. James Andrews tells NFL Media's Omar Ruiz that RGIII is "OK." The Redskinsquarterback was removed from the game as a precaution, Ruiz reported. In his postgame news conference, Redskinscoach Mike Shanahan told reporters Griffin was kept out "due to (the) score."

Griffin immediately was announced as questionable to return after the injury, but Kirk Cousins took over at quarterback. (And Cousins promptly threw two interceptions.)

Broncos nose tackle Terrance Knighton laid a huge hit on Griffin, who is lucky he didn't break any ribs. Griffin was examined by the team's medical staff, but he was walking around and talking with the coaching staff right after that.

Griffin's knee does not sound like a concern. His accuracy throwing the ball and Washington's 2-5 record remains a problem.

So you do understand that I don't want this guy because of my perception of his fragility right? The same perception I had concerning RGII and Tyrann. You say they're doing just fine? Good Bhudda man, what's your definition of doing just fine? Granted they aren't dead but that's a pretty low bar isn't it? :ROFLMAO:

Alan

Legend
PhxRam with this shocker:
I would say great.. I would take the honey badger in a do over.

See the articles above. Missed the last three games with a knee injury from which he has yet to recover? That's great to you? You can have him.

He was a very good player before his injury but who cares about that if you can't stay on the field. Same thing with Joyner and RGIII.

I said the same thing about Finnegan and was laughed at. How many injures did he have in his brief tour with the Rams?

PhxRam

See the articles above. Missed the last three games with a knee injury from which he has yet to recover? You can have him.

You are saying a player is fragile because they had a freak knee injury?

Might as well pass on Brady because he had the same injury.

Alan

Legend
PhxRam forgetting my credo:
You are saying a player is fragile because they had a freak knee injury?

Might as well pass on Brady because he had the same injury.

Injuries happen to all types of physiques in the NFL. It's an incredibly rough sport. But are you really trying to say that a player with a small body isn't at more risk than a player with a bigger body that can cushion more of the impact? Well I totally disagree with that notion. What do you think would happen if the Rams played McCluer High School in a football game injury wise? And why?

Ignore the dynamics involved if you want but I'll go with my view on this. After all, I'm batting a 1.000 so far and it's not because I'm lucky or brilliant. :LOL:

It's mind-boggling to me that anyone would disagree with my viewpoint on this. Do you really think that Joyner's skills aren't as good or better than other players at his position who will be drafted long before him? I can understand gambling on a tiny player with great skills but I can't understand the denial of the problem in the first place. Mind-boggling.

This doesn't even address the other issues I have about Joyner trying to defend against much bigger players.

Roll the dice on him if you want to but I'll pass. Of course that's why I never lose any money gambling. I believe in playing the odds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lamarcus Joyner
5080, 184 lbs
4.55/40
14 Reps 225
37 1/2" VJ
10' 04" BJ
7.26 3 Cone
4.4 20 Yard Shuttle

Bob Sanders
5083, 204 lbs
4.35/40
15 reps 225
41 1/2" VJ
10' 08" BJ
6.70 3 Cone
3.95 20 Yard Shuttle

And...?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injuries happen to all types of physiques in the NFL. It's an incredibly rough sport. But are you really trying to say that a player with a small body isn't at more risk than a player with a bigger body that can cushion more of the impact? Well I totally disagree with that notion. What do you think would happen if the Rams played McCluer High School in a football game injury wise? And why?

Ignore the dynamics involved if you want but I'll go with my view on this. After all, I'm batting a 1.000 so far and it's not because I'm lucky or brilliant. :LOL:

It's mind-boggling to me that anyone would disagree with my viewpoint on this. Do you really think that Joyner's skills aren't as good or better than other players at his position who will be drafted long before him? I can understand gambling on a tiny player with great skills but I can't understand the denial of the problem in the first place. Mind-boggling.

This doesn't even address the other issues I have about Joyner trying to defend against much bigger players.

Roll the dice on him if you want to but I'll pass. Of course that's why I never lose any money gambling. I believe in playing the odds.

More susceptible to a torn ACL? No. Absolutely not.

Which is the injury both of your examples(Mathieu and Griffin) suffered.

Our 6'4" 230 pound QB just suffered a torn ACL. As did our 6'7" 320 pound LT...was that because they're too small? Or do torn ACLs have nothing to do with size?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lamarcus Joyner
5080, 184 lbs
4.55/40
14 Reps 225
37 1/2" VJ
10' 04" BJ
7.26 3 Cone
4.4 20 Yard Shuttle

Bob Sanders
5083, 204 lbs
4.35/40
15 reps 225
41 1/2" VJ
10' 08" BJ
6.70 3 Cone
3.95 20 Yard Shuttle

wow sanders numbers are pretty staggering

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A Bob Sanders comparison was made so I just simply made another one.

No. A Bob Sanders comparison really wasn't made. Someone said that he's 5'8" so he won't be able to lay big hits in the NFL like he did in college. I posted a photo of Bob Sanders because he was 5'8" and had no issues hitting in the NFL.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No. A Bob Sanders comparison really wasn't made. Someone said that he's 5'8" so he won't be able to lay big hits in the NFL like he did in college. I posted a photo of Bob Sanders because he was 5'8" and had no issues hitting in the NFL.

You do realize that Bob Sanders was actually bigger than Joyner don't you? And Sanders had all types of issues in that he couldn't stay healthy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You do realize that Bob Sanders was actually bigger than Joyner don't you? And Sanders had all types of issues in that he couldn't stay healthy.

Thicker? Yes. But I also realize that LaMarcus Joyner has lit up WRs and TEs currently playing in the NFL. And I've seen him blow up other FBs, HBs and TEs.

So if you believe that the guy is too small to dish out big hits in the NFL, I don't know what you're thinking. Hitting a 6'5" 250 pound player in college isn't any different than hitting a 6'5" 250 pound player in the NFL.

If you prefer, I could just use Antoine Winfield instead?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Thicker? Yes. But I also realize that LaMarcus Joyner has lit up WRs and TEs currently playing in the NFL. And I've seen him blow up other FBs, HBs and TEs.

So if you believe that the guy is too small to dish out big hits in the NFL, I don't know what you're thinking. Hitting a 6'5" 250 pound player in college isn't any different than hitting a 6'5" 250 pound player in the NFL.

I think the only point was that Sanders measureable were a bit better but on average safeties of that size don't pan out (on average anyway). No idea if LJ will or won't.
But hitting hard and covering in college isn't the same as the NFL. He's got to have the entire package to succeed. I think from Sanders standpoint he was a bit bigger and faster so it does help to overcome height in some cases.
Kinda like Rodney. He's pretty good but he's kinda small and not ideal for the position.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Sorry, but anybody with the want to can run and explode on unsuspecting players. Little Tavon can even do it.

BTW, Winfield was making plays at CB. Not as a potential last line of defense at safety.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, but anybody with the want to can run and explode on unsuspecting players. Little Tavon can even do it.

BTW, Winfield was making plays at CB. Not as a potential last line of defense at safety.

Joyner has done both.

Yea, anybody CAN do it but a good number of DBs don't have the aggressiveness and physicality to do it. And that won't change in the NFL.

But if you prefer, here's Joyner taking on a guy that could protect himself:
lamarcusbodyslam.gif

I think the only point was that Sanders measureable were a bit better but on average safeties of that size don't pan out (on average anyway). No idea if LJ will or won't.
But hitting hard and covering in college isn't the same as the NFL. He's got to have the entire package to succeed. I think from Sanders standpoint he was a bit bigger and faster so it does help to overcome height in some cases.
Kinda like Rodney. He's pretty good but he's kinda small and not ideal for the position.

Sanders measurables were better. And safeties that size are rare. But as I said with Donald before he blew up, with some guys, you can just see that they don't let size define them. Said it about Stedman Bailey last year too. It's all in the attitude.

And Joyner? He's one freaky strong little bugger for his size. ;)

As far as hitting hard goes, that doesn't really change from college to pros unless you were only hitting little guys. If he plays safety in the pros, Joyner will dish out some highlight reel hits.

And in terms of speed, yea, Sanders was faster but I'm not worried about Joyner's speed/acceleration. He'll be fine.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Joyner has done both.

Yea, anybody CAN do it but a good number of DBs don't have the aggressiveness and physicality to do it. And that won't change in the NFL.

lamarcusbodyslam.gif

Sanders measurables were better. And safeties that size are rare. But as I said with Donald before he blew up, with some guys, you can just see that they don't let size define them. Said it about Stedman Bailey last year too. It's all in the attitude.

And Joyner? He's one freaky strong little bugger for his size. ;)

I always root for the underdog so I hope he does great. Especially if he's one of our picks. I don't know I would take him in rd #2 though. I'm certainly in for a thumping safety. In fact, with what we saw from McDonald, that may give us two hard hitting safeties that may start to make receivers think twice about going over the middle.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Joyner has done both.

lamarcusbodyslam.gif

Looks like that's all the player was trying to do was protect himself.:ROFLMAO:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How much weight is gained by rookies in camp the first year on average? I'd guess 5 to 10 pounds. If Joyner puts on 10 pounds, he's not that small right? 195 pounds for a DB isn't a shrimp. My only concern about him being 5'8" is being outreached for balls. I'm not worried about his height when it comes to hitting. Hell, it is even a small advantage at times in leverage. I don't remember the measurables on Ronde Barber but when I met him he seemed to be about my size and I seem to remember he did just fine in the NFL. I'm only 5'9" by the way.

OK, I couldn't stand it, had to look it up. Ronde Barber's last player profile has him at 5'10", 184 lbs. So we talking height here only?

Last edited: