Lamarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So, admittedly I know very little about this guy as a player. But I heard him on Sirius XM NFL radio last night and was blown away by his interview. He was probably one of the most team-oriented people I have heard speak...has some very real leadership qualities.

Think Tebow-esque without the cheesiness and choir boy mantra.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
well they talked about the guy on path to the draft yesterday and said a lot of teams dont even have him on there board because hes only 5'8. and the ones that do see him as kind of a FS and nickle CB hybrid. Kids got a ton of talent but who knows if he can over come his short comings in size.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
well they talked about the guy on path to the draft yesterday and said a lot of teams dont even have him on there board because hes only 5'8. and the ones that do see him as kind of a FS and nickle CB hybrid. Kids got a ton of talent but who knows if he can over come his short comings in size.

Yeah, he played safety early in his college career but switched to nickel last season because that's where the team had a deficiency. They made it sound like he did excel at both.

I personally LOVE versatility...he's projected to be a 2nd-3rd rounder. I don't know how he'd fit for the Rams per se...but he is an intriguing prospect that I'm going to keep an eye on.

A55VA6

Legend
I like Joyner. Good player and seems like a good guy. He's a late 1st round, early 2nd guy... so not really in our range of where we pick so we would have to do some sort of trade if we really liked him.

Alan

Legend
An inch is the difference between a chipmunk and a ferret. I'd rather be a ferret. Ferrets get all the action. :D

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I like Joyner. Good player and seems like a good guy. He's a late 1st round, early 2nd guy... so not really in our range of where we pick so we would have to do some sort of trade if we really liked him.

Everything Ive heard and read he is a late second or 3rd round pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If I had to only select just one DB in this entire draft I would go get this Nole!

Our secondary has not seen this type of intensity in a long long time.....Instant starter somewhere! either at one safety post or a corner post or for-sure the starting NickleBack.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I like him. I'm sure he would start over anything we have nickelback or free safety. And at very worst he would be a versatile backup at CB and FS.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Joyner is the best FS in this draft. He is small in stature but plays like Kam Chancellor. I've seen him stand-up and body-slam 200+ pound HBs by himself in space. He's extremely strong for his size, he's a very hard hitter, an excellent athlete, and can do it all at safety. Can blitz off the edge, can stop the run in the box, can play deep zone coverage, and can match-up man to man on slot WRs, TEs, and HBs. Although he's undersized against TEs. But still, I think he'll be a really good FS or slot CB in the NFL.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Some nice clips in there. He seems to take good angles and times up his hits pretty well, but that size, or lack thereof, still concern me. It he made it to the top of the 3rd I think I'd be less concerned.

Alan

Legend
http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/st...draft-stock-rising-after-senior-season-022114
Lamarcus Joyner's draft stock rising after senior season
Lamarcus Joyner already understood the value of returning for his senior season. He was able to be a leader and help Florida State win a national title.

And now he's seeing his draft stock rise, too.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said he considers Joyner the No. 3 safety in the draft and sees him as a late pick in the first round. Mayock compares Joyner to former LSU star Tyrann Mattieu in terms of on-field abilities.

''I think he's a little bit like Tyrann Mattieu in that he was a corner in college,'' Mayock said. ''But I think he's going to have to kick inside and either be a safety or a nickel or both. He's an explosive kid.''

Joyner debated the options in January 2013 and opted to return to Florida State. He joked that he would always be 5-foot-8, but he wanted to move from safety to corner to showcase his versatility for NFL teams.

He was a unanimous All-American as a senior, recording 69 tackles and two interceptions along with a team-leading 5.5 sacks.

Joyner is one of three former Seminoles that are projected as first-round picks. Mayock considers defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan a top-15 pick, and he thinks wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin will be snapped up in the first 20 picks.

They are part of a group of nine former Florida State players that will be participating in the NFL combine, which begins on Saturday and concludes on Tuesday in Indianapolis. Linebackers Christian Jones and Telvin Smith, safety Terrence Brooks, center Bryan Stork, and running backs Devonta Freeman and James Wilder will also participate.

Jernigan had a breakout junior season in 2013, making 63 tackles and 4.5 sacks despite often being double-teamed.

''I think Jernigan can step in and be special early,'' Mayock said.

image.adapt.955.medium.jpg

Five enroll early at FSU
Benjamin, at 6-foot-5, is ''€œtoday'€™s flavor in the NFL.'' He'€™s tall, fast and has improved dramatically at going up and grabbing the jump-ball passes. Benjamin caught 54 passes for 1,011 yards and had 15 touchdowns as a redshirt sophomore in 2013.

Mayock views Benjamin as the No. 4 receiver prospect behind Clemson's Sammy Watkins, Southern Cal's Marqise Lee and Texas A&M's Mike Evans. But Mayock thinks all of them will be selected in the first 20-25 picks on May 8, the first day of the three-day, seven-round draft.

''It's the best wide receiver draft I've seen in years,'' Mayock said.

Two juniors that entered the draft early are Freeman and Wilder. Freeman ran for 1,016 yards and had 14 touchdowns in 2013, becoming Florida State's first 1,000-yard rusher since Warrick Dunn in 1996. And Wilder had 563 rushing yards and eight touchdowns.

Mayock thinks Freeman is a likely third-round pick and Wilder will go in the fourth or fifth round.

''I think Freeman is really interesting,'' Mayock said. ''Burst, acceleration, tough kid. Make you miss, but still get you North and South.''

Mayock also thinks that linebacker Jones helped his draft stock by moving up at midseason to a rush end position. Jones showed his ability to pressure quarterbacks but also contain tailbacks that tried to run off tackle.

''Today's NFL, anytime you can show some edge rush ability it's going to push you up a little higher in the draft,'' Mayock said. ''And I think his versatility will be a plus.''

Mayock rates Stork as the No. 4 center in the draft.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
GOOD GOD MAN! That dude looks like a little heat seeking missle in that highlight reel.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Heard a little about his before all the draft talk started and never checked him out. Looks like a faster more versatile Elam, who I loved last year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would be worried that Joyner will not be available @ #44. I'm thinking somewhere very early on the second day...33 to 40 area. Snead will need to trade up to get him.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
K after a bit more, maybe not as good as Elam, but def worth checking out. Leadership qualities are always a big plus in my book. I really like that Jimmie Ward kid too outta Northern Illinois Sum. Should check him out.