Lamarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be worried that Joyner will not be available @ #44. I'm thinking somewhere very early on the second day...33 to 40 area. Snead will need to trade up to get him.

Agree....kid could be worth it. Wouldn't be opposed to moving up in the second to get him. Though I'm hoping well have an earlier 2nd rounder from trading down from 2 overall

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
LJ is the truth. We wouldn't be mad if he ended up in horns. I know 5'8" isn't the new trend in the NFL for DBs but this kid can bring it. He's a play-maker.

The Bus

UDFA
Name
Chad
he's way to small in my opinion... did i just see he's 5"8?... might lay hits like that in college.. not in the NFL.. pass

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
he's way to small in my opinion... did i just see he's 5"8?... might lay hits like that in college.. not in the NFL.. pass
Don't underestimate the little guys if they know the position to take a player down. He's not going to lay the wood in the NFL but he could cause havoc in the backfield and be a playmaker. The size is obviously a concern but playmakers make plays. Not going to say go out of our way to get him but he could be a player to consider but not sure about him actually going as high as the talking heads suggest.

PhxRam

After watching the video I do see where you are coming from. He definately needs to work on his technique because it seems like he likes to tackle high. As you said, that is not going to fly in the NFL for a guy of his size.

On the other hand..

He seems to be a willing tackler not looking to shy away from contact.

Tough call but in most cases I will take heart over intangibles.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Short but not small. He weighs nearly 200 pounds. The kid just makes plays. Would he concern me in the red zone? Oh yeah, not a defender of the jump ball.

Alan

Legend
I can't see him covering a big TE either. Just throw it high.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This 5'8" DB seemed capable of laying the lumber in the NFL:
Bob_Sanders.jpg

By the way, he laid out Michael Floyd, Chris Givens, Tyler Eifert, etc. while in college. They all play in the NFL. I'm not concerned about his ability to hit or tackle in the NFL. Jack Tatum, very arguably the hardest hitter of all time, was 5'10". The thing about those little guys is that they can get underneath you and if they're strong and fearless, they'll hit hard.

I remember reading about Joyner as a freshman knocking a 6'3" 220+ pound FSU WR out for the season in practice because he was trying to impress the coaches and KO'd the kid.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 forgetting about two TE sets:
Isn't that the point of having T.J. McDonald?
Only partially. Plus TEs aren't the only big guys who'd push him around and beat himlike a drum on jump balls.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I think Joyner is the best FS in this draft. He is small in stature but plays like Kam Chancellor. I've seen him stand-up and body-slam 200+ pound HBs by himself in space. He's extremely strong for his size, he's a very hard hitter, an excellent athlete, and can do it all at safety. Can blitz off the edge, can stop the run in the box, can play deep zone coverage, and can match-up man to man on slot WRs, TEs, and HBs. Although he's undersized against TEs. But still, I think he'll be a really good FS or slot CB in the NFL.

Nice analysis @jrry32 ! If I did a mock I'd put him with us at #44. I watched him against Auburn in the BCS. Under sized whoop de fuckin do. We need a rangy kid like this and one of his best attributes are tackling/awareness. Oh yea speed helps too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only partially. Plus TEs aren't the only big guys who'd push him around and beat himlike a drum on jump balls.

Yea, I have a hard time seeing many WRs push Joyner around. Don't judge a book by its cover, my friend.

As far as jump balls are concerned, throw jump balls in Joyner's general direction at your own risk:

;)

By the way, the guy he ko'd in that video was a 225 pound HB.

Skip to 1:57, you see his range as he comes flying in from the hash mark to blow up Michael Floyd on the sideline and it took Floyd awhile to get up.

Blitzes the QB forcing him to dump it off and then makes the TD saving tackle 60+ yards down the field.

LaMarcus Joyner is an amazing football player. That's what I want on my team. You can keep the 6'2" athletes...I want great football players. Don't care what package they're in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This 5'8" DB seemed capable of laying the lumber in the NFL:
Bob_Sanders.jpg

By the way, he laid out Michael Floyd, Chris Givens, Tyler Eifert, etc. while in college. They all play in the NFL. I'm not concerned about his ability to hit or tackle in the NFL. Jack Tatum, very arguably the hardest hitter of all time, was 5'10". The thing about those little guys is that they can get underneath you and if they're strong and fearless, they'll hit hard.

I remember reading about Joyner as a freshman knocking a 6'3" 220+ pound FSU WR out for the season in practice because he was trying to impress the coaches and KO'd the kid.

Found the article:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...yner-willie-haulstead-20130812,0,5149320.post

Made a mistake, though. The WR was 6'2" 215 pound Willie Haulstead.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with lots of good stuff:
Good stuff.
I'd have been impressed and would have immediately changed my viewpoint about him had the guy been 225 lbs. At only 215 lbs we're talking about shrimps. Sorry jrry but you need to go back to the drawing board and try again. Only 3 videos? Pitiful. :( :LOL:

You're concentrating on his playing skills and I'm concentrating on his survivability and his capabilities against the bigger PROFESSIONALS. No amount of visual evidence of his college career, no matter how skillfully done :), would convince me. Common sense trumps highlight reels. I said the same thing about RGII and how's that working out?

I bet you could make a presentation similar to this one but featuring Tyrann Mathieu. How's that working out?

As for taking my chances with jump balls, I like the odds.

Bottom line for me hasn't changed jrry. No matter how many skills he has his physical stature will always be a problem.

Fantastic effort though. Impressive. :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd have been impressed and would have immediately changed my viewpoint about him had the guy been 225 lbs. At only 215 lbs we're talking about shrimps. Sorry jrry but you need to go back to the drawing board and try again. Only 3 videos? Pitiful. :( :LOL:

You're concentrating on his playing skills and I'm concentrating on his survivability and his capabilities against the bigger PROFESSIONALS. No amount of visual evidence of his college career, no matter how skillfully done :), would convince me. Common sense trumps highlight reels. I said the same thing about RGII and how's that working out?

I bet you could make a presentation similar to this one but featuring Tyrann Mathieu. How's that working out?

Quite well for both of those guys, actually. Not sure why you'd use them as examples? :cautious:

As far as 215 pounds vs. 225 pounds, I think the joke is going over my head here. But the guy is definitely listed at 225 pounds:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204969726&
;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Lamarcus Joyner
5080, 184 lbs
4.55/40
14 Reps 225
37 1/2" VJ
10' 04" BJ
7.26 3 Cone
4.4 20 Yard Shuttle

Bob Sanders
5083, 204 lbs
4.35/40
15 reps 225
41 1/2" VJ
10' 08" BJ
6.70 3 Cone
3.95 20 Yard Shuttle

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Yea, I have a hard time seeing many WRs push Joyner around. Don't judge a book by its cover, my friend.

As far as jump balls are concerned, throw jump balls in Joyner's general direction at your own risk:

;)

By the way, the guy he ko'd in that video was a 225 pound HB.

Skip to 1:57, you see his range as he comes flying in from the hash mark to blow up Michael Floyd on the sideline and it took Floyd awhile to get up.

Blitzes the QB forcing him to dump it off and then makes the TD saving tackle 60+ yards down the field.

LaMarcus Joyner is an amazing football player. That's what I want on my team. You can keep the 6'2" athletes...I want great football players. Don't care what package they're in.

No doubt he's a hitter, and I didn't watch all of the clips, but he was flagged for PF on two of those plays and should have been flagged a 3rd time for the hit on Stills. He's going to have to clean that up wherever he plays.