LaCanfora: Teams Interested in Trading for Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just off the top of my head I've seen him drop 2 touchdowns and 3 balls on 3rd down that would've given us 1st downs to keep drives alive. Are those Cig's fault? Cook has all the potential and has the body to be a matchup nightmare but he has a hard time catching the ball in the clutch.
Nope he's frustrating as hell this year, no doubt.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This is just the problem. Cig thought that Kendricks was the type of TE they needed to make the offense run. Kendricks can block well and catch. Notice how this year we are seeing Cook in more blocking roles? That is part of why the short passes. He is asked to block first. I am guessing that the Rams no longer think he can fit their offense since they want to have a run heavy scheme where TE's need to block.

From reports it is actually the Rams shopping Cook. Not just this forum crowd looking to get him off the team.

I saw that from BR but I take most of what I read from them with a huge grain of salt.

Got to be something to it, this kind of stuff doesn't just come out mid season without some facts behind it. Probably too late not to be some kind of distraction at the very least.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very interesting thread, indeed.

La Canfora says teams are calling the Rams about Cook.

Florio says he hears Rams are calling other teams.

Makes a huge difference which reporter is correct, huh?

I will say this.

For the Rams to even be entertaining calls speaks volumes, doesn't it?

And if Florio is right, then it means that the Rams not only have come to the same conclusion as to Cook's Ram future as many of we fans, but that they might be willing to pull the trigger right away. In a possible playoff year. Wow! That's quite a statement, and on more than just one level.

Stay tuned...
I think it makes more sense to try to move him now.

Some teams have needs now, when the real games are being played.

Wait until the off season and more options open up (free agency, draft, etc.).

Don't get taken advantage of, but this may be the best time to move him.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Jared Cook to me isn't much better than Ray Ray Armstrong was. He makes plays, no doubt about it. But his mistakes cost us big time. We can't afford to have that on our team, where offensive production is hard to come by even without him setting us back.

I would trade Cook for as much as we can get for him. Then I'd sign Alex Bayer from the Chargers practice squad to replace him if Kendricks cannot go. He knows the offense and flashed some receiving talent with us, and also seemed to have good hands. He's not a great blocker but he puts in the effort at least.

I wish Cook luck wherever he goes, but he's not a fit for us.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just a thought regarding a hypothetical Cook trade.

Why couldn't the Rams ease the Cook salary hit for the trading team by agreeing to eat part of it? At least for the remainder of this year?

Wouldn't that make such a trade more doable?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
NFL Trade Machine: Jared Cook Landing Spots
by Erik Lambert at SI.com

It seems the St. Louis Rams are looking to change up their roster a bit, and one of the top pieces on the agenda is what to do about tight end Jared Cook. So far in 2015, the 28-year old has just 15 catches for 169 yards. Worse still, the team is growing tired of his inability to fully utilize his advantages in size to create scoring opportunities.

Since joining the Rams Cook has routinely been the most heavily targeted Rams “weapon”. He also has more drops than any Rams player during that span. In 37 games as the Rams top target he has managed just 1474 yards, only good for 39.83 yards a game, and only one 100 yard game. This a player making $7 million a year, good for top 5 tight end money.

Even worse, Cook was believed to be a legit red zone threat at 6’5″ 250 lbs and legit hops. But through 37 games as a Ram, he only has eight touchdowns. This could be an NFL record for how long a player who leads the team in targets yearly takes to eclipse 10 touchdowns.

It’s not a hard sell with a trade idea. Cook is still in his prime and has a lot of talent that might be better exploited by a different quarterback and offensive scheme. His contract is expensive ($8.3 million cap hit) but the potential trade off could be big if they can get him motivated. It’s just a matter of finding the right fit.

A couple of teams to watch?
New York Giants
The recent tragedy to befall Daniel Fells has created some depth concerns at tight end even though Larry Donnell has continued to play well. Adding Cook, expensive as he may be would really help the team and give him a quarterback in Eli Manning who loves to use tight ends.

Atlanta Falcons
Another quarterback match that makes perfect sense is Matt Ryan with the Atlanta Falcons. He’s been searching for an explosive option at that position ever since Tony Gonzalez left. Cook might find that system far more welcoming to his talents than the run-first one he finds himself in.

http://nflmocks.com/2015/10/19/nfl-trade-machine-jared-cook-landing-spots/

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Packers linebacker Clay Matthews was fined for his hit on Rams quarterback Nick Foles last week.

Fined but not penalized. It would have done more good on the field in a game that the Rams desperately needed to get a lead in.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Two teams that I would think could have interest in Cook would be Green Bay and New Orleans..........maybe even throw in Oakland.

Or this could just be an attempt to send Cook a message from Fisher to get with the program.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/18/rams-shopping-jared-cook/

Rams shopping Jared Cook
Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptq5zdliztuxyje0n2e4ndk2zwuzzgfhmdq5zmewywfl-e1445190693558.jpeg
AP

Per a league source, the Rams are making calls to gauge interest in a trade for Cook, a big-money acquisition in free agency who has been good but not great in three-plus seasons with the team.

Jason La Canfora of CBS reports that teams have been calling the Rams about Cook; we’re hearing that the calls are being made by the Rams. It’s a subtle but significant distinction, since what the Rams get will be driven by the respective motivations of the buyer and the seller.

Cook has a base salary of $7 million this year, in 2016, and in 2017. Trading him would driver a $2 million cap hit in 2016.

The window for making trades closes on Tuesday, November 3.
If Florio, and La Canfora are both saying it, I really don't believe it!!

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
Or this could just be an attempt to send Cook a message from Fisher to get with the program.

That's the first thing that came to my mind! I don't really have a strong opinion one way or another if he stays or goes, but it does seem the Rams are(or should be) looking to emphasize the blocking tight end more.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Anyone see how well in just one week our old WR looked and caught some pretty passes from Flacco today? Just as we have to watch Amendola look so well for the cheaters. Givens was impressive in just a short time with the Ravens. Would'nt surprise me to see Cook all of a sudden grow catching fingers on his Block hands. Do you all want to see that happen this year too?

Givens was more of a space casualty, no? I don't think anyone was particularly down on him. He was just bottom man.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I stand by how well in a week or so that Givens has learned a new system or part and is making 3rd down Must catches to help the Ravens. Thats All I said. We don't have anyone who can catch shit. We don't have a passing offense yet most likely due to our OL still not able to handle a stunt or twist in week 5 and our QB is getting speared illegally with no call and probably effected our Guy the rest of the game as that hit was major. (Its a wonder his sternum was'nt seperated and he could breathe). I'll believe we take the next step AFTER we do. Stan is not gonna fire Fisher no matter what happens. Fisher gets his 7 million next season no matter what happens this season.

I agree Cook should have been benched and then try to check and see if the guy has any pride and wants to improve while he is still with our team. Why has'nt this happened by now? Why does'nt Fisher treat these prima Donna's like REAL MEN? Are they afraid he will pout and spoil the lockeroom? If so THEN cut his ass. Send messages to the TEAM on what is expected. We have no easy games no week. We will need an offensive passing game to beat certain teams. We MUST start somewhere. I agree Givens was bottom man. The guy brought in needs a couple targets in my book when Britt and Quick can't catch yet this season of any reasonable substance.

We are 4 years in and it is GO TIME NOW! Yes we are having injuries now that are adding up and testing our depth. Hope Wichmann has gotten reps in this off time as I think he will be starting for us next season. Love the guy for us. Shame he missed so much early time. Glad he is getting a Pro's weightroom and training to grow into his Pro body. we will miss AO so bad till he returns.

I don't think Givens is the second coming of Jerry Rice folks who have to keep quoting my post. I just would like for us to have four WR's that can ALL contribute at any time on the field at once. Hands we can really count on. THATS IT IN A NUTSHELL.:icare:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

I believe the point would be to get a valuable pick in return for him that can turn into an asset that actually helps us, rather than letting him stink it up the rest of the year and still pay him anyway