LaCanfora: Teams Interested in Trading for Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's been asked about Davis for Cook straight up.

Yeah, if Davis checks out medically, I do that in a minute.

In a nanosecond actually.

Schmitzer

UDFA
If cook has had the best year for a Rams TE ever, that is an indictment of our WRs, not an endorsement of him.

Yes he drops passes, but that is not the worst of it. When you focus in on him, he quits on plays. You can't watch him and honestly say he gives all he's got on every play, or even most plays.

As far as worrying what message it would send, I think it sends a positive message. You can't dog it on this team.

FRO

Legend
For those of us that can't listen at the moment, can someone summarize any substantive information?
He really doesn't clear anything up. He basically recapped that there are conflicting reports and if he had to guess it would be the Rams making the calls.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If cook has had the best year for a Rams TE ever, that is an indictment of our WRs, not an endorsement of him.

Yes he drops passes, but that is not the worst of it. When you focus in on him, he quits on plays. You can't watch him and honestly say he gives all he's got on every play, or even most plays.

As far as worrying what message it would send, I think it sends a positive message. You can't dog it on this team.

I agree with this. When pointing out his statistical success I wasn't endorsing him. It is however a fact that he has more success than any other tight end - so we can all get down on him because we decide we don't like his attitude or whatever - but is he really as bad as all that?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have zero belief in what Fish says. And don't get me wrong, not knocking him here, he's just completely full of bull when it comes to his players and I understand that as well as why he does that.

What I do instead is just look at the evidence... Cook sucks and the Rams were doing some heavy self-scouting. That combination tells me all I need to know, that the Rams are trying to move him. Just comes down to two questions:

1. Will someone take a flyer on him for a pick? I don't think the Rams are looking for a player in return.
2. If not, are they going to simply demote him for a while and see if that wakes him up? Or cut him outright if and when they think someone else brings more to the roster?

Really hope they get something done, even for a 5th round or later pick.

iced

Fisher saying they're not trading Cook?

Hope your bags are packed buddy

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Snead likes to recoup his spent picks. Not sure why but he does. He passed up Bobby Wagner to get his 5th rounder back. He wanted to get his Mark Barron picks back too. This year he could be trying to get his picks back for either Battle or the one he loses to the Eagles. Maybe he could get his 5th back for Cook.......Maybe

RamBill

Legend
Rams don't plan to trade Cook, Fisher says
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1ca89bce-7c88-50fb-86bc-4896f21e43d8.html

Jeff Fisher said the Rams aren’t shopping tight end Jared Cook. Meanwhile, Cook said the fact that his name came up in trade rumors over the weekend meant nothing to him.

“There’s nothing to make out of it,” Cook said, referring to media reports that Cook could be on the trading block in St. Louis. “I’m here and that’s the end of it.”

Cook said he heard of the reports second-hand but didn’t call his agent or the Rams.

“Not really,” he said. “Because if it was something I needed to know, they would’ve told me. There’s a lot of people that put things out there that really isn’t credible — a lot of time, everywhere around the world.

“It’s your choice to pay attention to it. It’s your choice to take in what they’re saying, or it’s your choice to ignore.”

Cook’s choice is to ignore.

“The Rams didn’t call me,” he said. “My agent didn’t call me. So what is there to worry about? Why am I letting somebody get in my head about something that’s nonexistent?”

The Rams returned to practice late Tuesday afternoon following a four-day break over their bye weekend. Fisher was asked about the rumors and did confirm that the Rams have indeed received calls about the possibility of trading Cook.

“We take calls all of the time,” Fisher said. “People call. People have injuries. People have interest. That happens all of the time. I have no interest in trading Jared. He’s a big part of our offense.”

In the interest of a reality check, it wasn’t all that long ago that Fisher said the Rams had absolutely no interest in trading quarterback Sam Bradford ... who was subsequently traded to Philadelphia in March.

But for what it’s worth, Fisher had more to say Tuesday on the topic of Cook.

“I don’t know where that (trade talk) originated from, or came from,” Fisher said. “I clearly wasn’t aware of it. Jared’s fine. He’s a big part of this. Those kind of things happen. He’s not the only person that people called us about last week.

“We’re not to the trading deadline. This day and age they’ve got more information. If they sense that some players that you have may fit their system, they’re going to call. And you either say yes or no.”

The calls to the Rams on Cook were categorized by one league source as “nothing serious.” But as Fisher mentioned, we’re still a couple of weeks away from the trading deadline, which is Nov. 3 this season.

The Rams haven’t been averse to trade deadline deals in the past. Last season, for example, they acquired safety Mark Barron in such a deal. In 2009, the Rams acquired wide receiver Brandon Gibson as part of a trade deadline deal that sent linebacker Will Witherspoon to Philadelphia.

Trading Cook doesn’t make much sense right at this moment, considering fellow tight end Lance Kendricks is recovering from ligament surgery on a finger and may not play Sunday against Cleveland.

The team promoted Justice Cunningham to the 53-man roster from the practice squad just in case Kendricks can’t go against the Browns. Otherwise, the only other tight end on the roster is Cory Harkey, who spends more time in the backfield in a fullback-style lead-blocker role than he does on the line of scrimmage.

Cook is in the third-year of a five-year, $35.1 million free-agent contract he signed in 2013, coming to St. Louis from the Tennessee Titans. He’s due a $7 million base salary in 2016, and a $7.1 million base in ’17, which might make him more difficult to move if the Rams were indeed considering a trade.

In his first two seasons with the Rams, Cook averaged 52 catches for 653 yards and four touchdowns. His numbers so far this season don’t project to reach those totals — he has 15 catches for 169 yards and zero TDs through five games.

But as Cook is the first to concede, his role has changed to a degree under new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti. He is being called upon to do more blocking and isn’t getting thrown the ball quite as much as in the past.

“Right now, I’m comfortable with Cig’s offense,” Cook said. “It’s got me playing a little bit different role, which I’m happy to play. It’s making me become a complete tight end overall, which is improving my game. So I have nothing to complain about.

“It’s different but that’s what my job entails. I’m not a very selfish person. I just come to work doing my job and do what they ask me to. So if they ask me to block a little bit more, that’s what I’m here to do.”

In his time with the Rams, Cook’s reputation has been that of a so-so blocker at best. But if you’ve been watching closely this season, he has made some effective blocks. For example, wide receiver Tavon Austin probably doesn’t score his touchdown in Green Bay without a key block from Cook on the perimeter.

“There’s a few games where he owes me a pizza or something,” Cook said, laughing. “But I won’t mention it. I’ll let you say something to him.”

Cook at times has shown an emotional side on the field but appears to be taking a patient approach as what currently is the NFL’s 32nd-ranked offense attempts to get on track.

“It’s all about growing,” Cook said. “We’ve got a new quarterback, new offensive system. It just takes time to develop the chemistry that you really need.

“I wouldn’t say that it tests my patience because that’s why I’m here. You’re here for the bulk of it. You’re here for the dings. You’re here for the roller-coaster ride; you’re here for the up and downs. So if I say I let it bother me, I wouldn’t be doing my job.”

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
What in the hell does this means in English ???:

“I wouldn’t say that it tests my patience because that’s why I’m here. You’re here for the bulk of it. You’re here for the dings. You’re here for the roller-coaster ride; you’re here for the up and downs. So if I say I let it bother me, I wouldn’t be doing my job

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I have no interest in trading Jared. He’s a big part of our offense.”

Shouldn't this be a clue as to why we have the worst offense in the NFL?

maximus

Rookie
Shouldn't this be a clue as to why we have the worst offense in the NFL?

This. Look what G Olsen does for Carolina, Eiffert for Bengals, Witten for Cowboys. Reliable hands, go-to guys when the team needs a completion to keep a drive alive. The TE is supposed to be the QB's best friend. Cook is not that guy. His drops are killing drives and killing morale. Does he have pictures of Fisher or what is the deal ?