Kroenke Messing with St Louis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
So if he buys the White House it isn't newsworthy because that's just what he does? Gimme a break. It isn't just "that" he's buying land, it's "what" he plans to do with it. In this case, it's very topical considering the NFL is considering the site for potential stadiums and that the site has already rejected as a Wal-Mart super center.
Lemme know when he does buy the White House, I'll be there to help the current occupant out (y)AND BTW "gimme a break?" HROD.
But FWIW just cuz a minor land purchase happened it doesn't change the same discussion ,topical yes, change the game no, evabody still sayin the same ol same ol,including you.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Either way, Kroenke's going to get what he wants, whether that's here or L.A.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Just keep supporting the Rams (or keep spending your money. However you want to look at it) and everything will be fine. I get that the silence and everything is a business decision. I realize it's a smart one. But I don't know. Call it the last gasp of idealism I have left after living in the world for 40 yrs, but something seems very wrong talking about giving a man worth 5.7 billion a ton of concessions. I know it's business, but look "the business" from the other side.

St Louis is still paying on the old house, and ol' Stan's product we'll be asked to buy has been shit for a long time. I know it's improving fast, but it's not public money improving fast. It's not filling the dome for next year fast. Hopefully that'll change this year.

There is zero support for public financing outside of the St. Louis metro area. It's lukewarm at best in St Louis. I'm no political science major, but it seems that this COULD have "it's a trap" written on it for wary politicians.

I have 3 friends that have let their season tickets go because they think the Rams are moving. 3 families, 13 seats between them, bought since the first season. Tempting to call them fairweather fans, but that's a lot of money. It's a better business decision to save the money and watch on TV until it's resolved, isn't it? What would Stan do? I bought a bike from Bicycle World in Belleville. Spent more than I wanted, but they have given me free minor repairs and yearly tune ups in the 5 years since I've bought it. Always unfailingly polite, no matter how jacked up my ride is. Point is, they ACT grateful I spent my money with them. My friends can't get an acknowledgement of that from Stan, just platitudes from flunkies who will be employed regardless of where the team is.

I know I sound bitter and fairweather. I'm not, otherwise I wouldn't be here posting and talking Rams in the summer. I'm always the one getting booed by people for stating support for Bulger, Bradford, etc. I love our team. I'm happy that there is finally some off-season hope.
I guess my point is that I'm not sure if Stan has the leverage he thinks he has over St. Louis. But then again, I'm a pessimist.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think that particular land was slated to be a Wal-Mart supercenter but the citizens of the area voted it down. It's been in a holding pattern so to speak and Wal-Mart finally got tired of fighting that battle and sold the land.

What's interesting to me is that Stan didn't get a family discount and just pick it up because he had the inside track. His company had to outbid Goldman-Sachs I think who wanted to acquire the land and further develop the Forum site or add a parking lot or something. The point being, Stan had to pony up some dough to get that land and win it. It isn't going to be a Wal-Mart so is he thinking of putting a residential neighborhood there?

What name was the land bought under? Does all the land he buys for his teams get put under his real estate development company's name? Maybe some inconsistency there could give us a little more insight.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
What does "eyeing" mean.

St. Louis Business Journal Morning Edition

Jul 23, 2014, 6:29am CDT
Is Kroenke eyeing more L.A. land?

Angela Mueller
Reporter-St. Louis Business
Journal

Rams owner Stan Kroenke reportedly is looking into adding to the 60-acre site he purchased in Los Angeles last year, which would give him more space for a potential NFL stadium development.

Kroenke purchased a 60-acre parking lotthat sits between the Forum and Hollywood Park in Inglewood, Calif., late last year. That property would have been sufficient for a new football stadium but not for all the parking the NFL would require.

Now Kroenke is looking into buying the entire Hollywood Park property, the L.A. Times reports. That deal would give him all the space he'd need for the stadium and required parking and ancillary services, according to the newspaper.

"And seeing as the Rams and St. Louis are about $600 million apart on how much the city, county and state should chip in for a new stadium, Kroenke's interest in L.A. should not be underestimated," the Times reports.

Industries:
Sports Business

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
So badly want to start a thread that says "St. Louis Messing with Kroneke." It would hold the same weight as this BS.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-raiders-chargers-la-20140720-story.html#page=1

NFL and L.A. doing their same old dance, but is this tune different?
Los Angeles
It's been nearly 20 years since an NFL team has played in Los Angeles. Will the city have to wait another two decades for an NFL franchise? (Jay L. Clendenin / Los Angeles Times)
By SAM FARMER contact the reporter NFLSportsOakland RaidersSan Diego ChargersSt. Louis RamsStan KroenkeOakland Athletics

2014 marks 20th anniversary of NFL's last season in L.A., which hasn't had a team since Rams, Raiders left
There've been dozens of plans and false starts in last two decades, but L.A.remains without an NFL team
It is a bizarre anniversary, one that would have been crazy to predict.

Los Angeles has gone nearly two decades without an NFL franchise. The Rams and Raiders began their final season in Southern California 20 years ago. Since, the nation's No. 2 market has watched its No. 1 sport from afar.

In a nod to Roman numerals, we're fast approaching LAXX.

Dozens of ambitious plans — from billionaires to business leaders to blowhards — have been tossed on the scrap pile. In the meantime, the NFL has flourished without Los Angeles, and L.A. fans have grown comfortably accustomed to watching the NFL from their homes. Even with stadium proposals that gained momentum, there has been no cohesive, community-wide push for any particular concept. And there likely never will be. There's one general consensus that even the league has learned to live with: No public money for a stadium.

Related story: L.A., Chicago finalists to host 2015 NFL draft; New York is out
Related story: L.A., Chicago finalists to host 2015 NFL draft; New York is out
Sam Farmer
That said, this season is different. The St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders — all of whom previously played in L.A. — are eyeing the market. That's not new. What's different, though, is for the first time since this saga began, each team has what amounts to a year-to-year lease in its current venue.

It used to be that only the Chargers had an option to leave after each season, a considerable advantage over other NFL clubs weighing relocation. But now the Rams and Raiders have caught up, and all three teams are searching for stadium solutions.

With long-term TV and labor deals in place, and a proven willingness to experiment with a new way of doing things — witness changes to the Pro Bowl, draft and scouting combine — there are indications the NFL is ready to make another run at L.A.

lRelated NFL wants back in L.A, but questions must be answered first
NFL
NFL wants back in L.A, but questions must be answered first
SEE ALL RELATED

"We're excited about that," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said this week. "We're investing billions of dollars in new stadiums. We'd like to do that here. We think there's a great opportunity here. We think opportunities are starting to develop, maybe in part because we have that long-term planning in front of us."

In one sense, the league has already taken a step toward Southern California. L.A. and Chicago are the two finalists to play host to the 2015 NFL Draft. That event has been held in New York since 1965, but the league couldn't work out a deal with Radio City Music Hall to keep it there.

All this L.A. talk will set eyes rolling, of course, because of the rich history of all talk and no action. The threat of L.A. unquestionably has been used as leverage over the years to get deals done in other cities. Without that hammer, for instance, would there be new venues in Seattle or Indianapolis? Would Minnesota have a new stadium in the works? Absolutely not.

The fact that the iron is glowing hot doesn't guarantee a return to L.A. any time soon.

Related story: KISS puts on a great show, if you don't count the football
Related story: KISS puts on a great show, if you don't count the football
Everett Cook
But league executives and owners insist the city is once again a bright blip on the radar screen.

"I think ownership is collectively very concerned that we don't have at least one team in downtown L.A.," New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. "We'd like to do everything [we] can to help facilitate that happening."

There is another difference about this year, too. Last December, Rams owner Stan Kroenke quietly bought the 60-acre Inglewood parcel that sits between the Forum and Hollywood Park, land that's sufficient to accommodate a stadium but not all the parking that the league would want.

Kroenke has looked into buying the whole Hollywood Park property, which would give him all the land he'd need for a stadium, parking and ancillary development. And seeing as the Rams and St. Louis are about $600 million apart on how much the city, county and state should chip in for a new stadium, Kroenke's interest in L.A. should not be underestimated.

cComments
@nacinla actually it's incumbent on the illegal immigrant advocates to prove they add more to the economy than they drain. Plain as day, they don't add more to our economy, especially with much of their remunerations in cash and using fake SSNs, it makes so much turmoil.
SOCALTRANSIENT
AT 10:28 AM JULY 23, 2014
ADD A COMMENTSEE ALL COMMENTS

Buying that land was a shrewd move by Kroenke because he can keep it and potentially move forward with a stadium project, develop it in some other lucrative way, sell it (the owners of the Forum wanted it in the first place), and all the while hold smelling salts under the noses of negotiators in St. Louis.

As for the L.A.-area sites that are currently in play — and keep in mind these fall in and out of favor with the league and team owners — most of the inside chatter these days involves Hollywood Park, downtown, Carson and Dodger Stadium. At this point, there is little talk about City of Industry.

The most viable of these is Hollywood Park, mainly because Kroenke owns those adjacent 60 acres and might not be able to find a solution in St. Louis.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
It really turns my stomach when billionaires hold these teams for ransom and try to force counties that barely make ends meet to foot the bill. Then they turn around and price a big portion of those residents right out of being able to go to a game with their kids.

dhaab

Rookie
This is a text book example of how backwards this country has become. A multi-billionaire owner holds an entire city and fan base hostage by maneuvering his pawns all over the country. None of us should be helping a guy like this build a new stadium. This is why I watch less professional sports every year and become less and less interested in these trillion dollar sports leagues who simply take advantage of their consumers at every turn possible. I know that I sound bitter and disillusioned here, but this whole song and dance thing with Kroenke and the city/state leaders has grown very tired and stale to me. If the Rams do eventually leave St. Louis, I'll probably never watch another NFL game.

AZRamsFan93

He's a rich land owning guy, he could build a stadium in LA and until he puts Rams logos on it I wouldn't worry. He will let his intentions be known in due time.
Normally, I don't comment on threads about the Rams location. I don't have a dog in that hunt. I have never lived in CA or MO. I will be a fan no matter where they play.

That said, this quote got me laughing: "he could build a stadium in LA and until he puts Rams logos on it I wouldn't worry".

If Stan built a football stadium (I assume you meant football stadium...) in LA you would likely be the ONLY person not worried.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This is a text book example of how backwards this country has become. A multi-billionaire owner holds an entire city and fan base hostage by maneuvering his pawns all over the country. None of us should be helping a guy like this build a new stadium. This is why I watch less professional sports every year and become less and less interested in these trillion dollar sports leagues who simply take advantage of their consumers at every turn possible. I know that I sound bitter and disillusioned here, but this whole song and dance thing with Kroenke and the city/state leaders has grown very tired and stale to me. If the Rams do eventually leave St. Louis, I'll probably never watch another NFL game.

I know what you mean. I'm not going to be like one of those people running after the car when their spouse runs out on them. They turn their back on us, it's questionable whether my interest in NFL football will survive. I don't know how the LA fans on this board managed to remain fans. When the Cardinals left, they were dead to me. I went to the Oilers. And then they went and changed that franchise.

Unrelated note. I was checking to see if I remembered the Cardinals leaving in 87 correctly when I stumbled on a list of the Big Red's 1st round draft picks. Good Lord. I could have done better with a dartboard and a blindfold. And I was 13.

dhaab

Rookie
I know what you mean. I'm not going to be like one of those people running after the car when their spouse runs out on them. They turn their back on us, it's questionable whether my interest in NFL football will survive. I don't know how the LA fans on this board managed to remain fans. When the Cardinals left, they were dead to me. I went to the Oilers. And then they went and changed that franchise.

Unrelated note. I was checking to see if I remembered the Cardinals leaving in 87 correctly when I stumbled on a list of the Big Red's 1st round draft picks. Good Lord. I could have done better with a dartboard and a blindfold. And I was 13.

Ha! Yep, Bill Bidwell is probably one of the worst owners in the history of pro sports. Remember them drafting a kicker (Steve Little) in the first round?? Insane!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Normally, I don't comment on threads about the Rams location. I don't have a dog in that hunt. I have never lived in CA or MO. I will be a fan no matter where they play.

That said, this quote got me laughing: "he could build a stadium in LA and until he puts Rams logos on it I wouldn't worry".

If Stan built a football stadium (I assume you meant football stadium...) in LA you would likely be the ONLY person not worried.

Well to be fair I do live in LA, so if he built a stadium here you wouldn't see me crying about it.;)

AZRamsFan93

Nobody is being held hostage. He owns the team. It is currently based in St. Louis. The only NFL team that is owned by the city is Green Bay.

Businesses of many varieties extract concessions from local governments when deciding where to locate. It is not just sports franchises.

No one is ever forced to do anything. Two sides come to a reasonable accommodation through negotiation. Each side will use their leverage to try and achieve their primary care-abouts.

I can understand the St. Louis fans frustration, as it seems Stan has most (if not all) of the leverage in this situation. That is never a good place to be (if you are on the other side of the table).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So my perspective is that Stan could very well be looking to do a very elaborate sports and entertainment destination that houses NFL and Soccer franchises and still be looking to keep the Rams in St Louis. He would have no greater leverage than buying the Hollywood Park land and starting on the project. He can't own another team in another market but I'm pretty sure he could own the other sports teams and the elaborate destination while forcing the hand of those in St Louis area.

I think Stan has remained silent but done nothing but build a strong bond to St Louis. I get the impression that he would like nothing better than keep the Rams in St Louis in a top notch facility. His ACTIONS say that to me.

But Stan is not one to sit idly while politicians try to play tough guy for the voters. The stadium in either place is going to take time to develop. I can't see Stan playing a waiting game. IMO St Louis will need to step up pretty soon if their intention is to keep the Rams.

I also don't see the Hollywood Park property going forward with their current development plan. The area around it is a real dump. Sorry if some on here live around there but... A residential development would be a very difficult deal to make money on. A destination type facility in the Inglewood area would return some prestige and I can almost guarantee you there would be vast amounts of property improvement and re-investment if it were to be built. We're talking multi-billions to be made in that location and a jewel to be put on display. Think Staples Center on steroids.

So my perspective is that Stan could very well be looking to do a very elaborate sports and entertainment destination that houses NFL and Soccer franchises and still be looking to keep the Rams in St Louis. He would have no greater leverage than buying the Hollywood Park land and starting on the project. He can't own another team in another market but I'm pretty sure he could own the other sports teams and the elaborate destination while forcing the hand of those in St Louis area.

I think Stan has remained silent but done nothing but build a strong bond to St Louis. I get the impression that he would like nothing better than keep the Rams in St Louis in a top notch facility. His ACTIONS say that to me.

But Stan is not one to sit idly while politicians try to play tough guy for the voters. The stadium in either place is going to take time to develop. I can't see Stan playing a waiting game. IMO St Louis will need to step up pretty soon if their intention is to keep the Rams.

I also don't see the Hollywood Park property going forward with their current development plan. The area around it is a real dump. Sorry if some on here live around there but... A residential development would be a very difficult deal to make money on. A destination type facility in the Inglewood area would return some prestige and I can almost guarantee you there would be vast amounts of property improvement and re-investment if it were to be built. We're talking multi-billions to be made in that location and a jewel to be put on display. Think Staples Center on steroids.

Interesting post - I will be the first to tell you that I know almost nothing about LA/Inglewood politics except for what I have read on here and other sites. From what I understand in your post, Inglewood isn't exactly the best neighborhood and the location is very close to LAX (3.2 miles according to Google), which could cause issues with flight patters on game days. My question to those in California is why does the NFL believe this is a prime spot for a location? As I look at the lot on Google Earth, there appears to be a relatively nice golf course to the north and it appears the area is already surrounded by housing. It doesnt appear to be a great spot for an NFL stadium just from the overall landscape. I would think downtown LA or Chavez Ravine would be a much better place, but that is only my opinion based on what I have read.

The issue St Louis has is that the Dome isn't exactly in the best spot either, and only a few blocks north of the dome is almost a war zone. Paul McKee is getting the NorthSide Redevelopment project going that could spring new life into North St Louis (and heaven knows that it needs it). Maybe an open air stadium on the riverfront next to the arch would also help spring some life into that area as well.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think the flight path issue is a bit overblown. The newly refurbished LA Forum is right there. I'm sure if they were going to build a residential development there, a sports destination is not going to be MORE of a problem with the flight path. After all, we're talking about a flight path at 10,000 feet elevation. Noise from the planes would surely effect residences more than this kind of facility. And think of all the hotels that are right next to airports. If the worry is about terrorism, I'm sure there are a lot easier spots in any city to hit than trying to come down from 10,000 feet INSIDE a flight path to hit a stadium that likely won't be the tallest structure around.

Hollywood Park is pretty accessible as it has some pretty big streets and freeways near it. And that golf course is actually Inglewood Cemetery. Rodney Dangerfield would have a real problem with it. :D

I think the NFL views it as a prime location because there is a large tract of land and the area has traditionally been centered around sports. The streets have been built around large sudden influxes of traffic, trailers, and busses from back when Hollywood Park and the Forum were real attractions. It is also close to the airport and other hotels and infrastructure.