Klein: Rams rookie receivers could push second-year pros for playing time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams rookie receivers could push second-year pros for playing time

upload_2017-6-20_8-0-2.png

Rams quarterback Case Keenum (17) celebrates with Pharoh Cooper after the wide receiver's 11-yard touchdown catch against the Kansas City Chiefs last season. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

By Gary Klein

It was not an over-the-top celebration, just a small exclamation point to a touchdown catch during offseason workouts.

Rams receiver Pharoh Cooper spun the ball like a top on the end zone turf. Then, with teammates hooting and hollering, he stepped back to admire his work.

A sign of things to come this season?

“Potentially,” Cooper said, laughing. “In a game-time situation it will probably be a little different.

“Especially for the first time. I’ll probably keep the ball and be a little hyped up.”

Cooper, a fourth-round draft pick in 2016, has not scored an NFL touchdown. Nor have Mike Thomas, a sixth-round pick last year, and Nelson Spruce, an undrafted free agent who scored in a preseason game before he was sidelined because of injuries.

The second-year pros could play larger roles in new coach Sean McVay’s pass-oriented offense, or find themselves playing behind rookies.

The Rams in April selected Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington in the third round and Josh Reynolds of Texas A&M in the fourth.

Kenny Britt and Brian Quick left as free agents, without resistance from the Rams.
Tavon Austin, who signed a four-year, $42-million extension last year, is back for his fifth season. Free agent Robert Woods received a five-year $34-million contract.

Neither Cooper nor Thomas said they took it as a slight when the Rams’ drafted two receivers.

“I know the NFL is a business. … Them drafting more receivers is just going to make me work harder,” Cooper said.

Said Thomas: “Of course it’s motivation. But at the end of the day it’s friendly competition. We’re helping each other get better.”

The 5-foot-11, 207-pound Cooper was a multipurpose standout at South Carolina but never really got a chance to get started last season.

His spectacular, leaping catch in a preseason game at Denver came with a cost: A shoulder injury that sidelined him for weeks.

Cooper played limited snaps when he returned, catching 14 passes for 106 yards.

“Fans want to see people make plays,” he said. “They haven’t seen me yet.”

Cooper worked in the slot and also lined up wide during offseason workouts, which concluded with a minicamp last week. He made several impressive plays on both short and longer routes.

“He can find a hole in the defense and is smart,” quarterback Jared Goff said.

Cooper also returns kickoffs and punts, and will compete for starting roles at both spots during training camp.

Thomas, 6-1 and 195 pounds, played on special teams and caught only three passes last season.

His most noteworthy play was not a highlight: He outran coverage in a Thursday night game at Seattle but dropped a long pass from Goff.

“You can’t really define a player off his mistakes,” said Thomas, who played in college at Southern Mississippi. “You’ve just got to define him off how he comes back from those mistakes. And I feel like I came back pretty well, I didn’t let that get to me.”

Thomas impressed during offseason workouts. He avoided drops and made several difficult catches.

“It’s all about relaxing,” he said, adding, “Last year, I was a little hesitant. … In Year 2, you got to step up.”

Thomas has done that, Goff said.

“He’s kind of found a role for himself,” Goff said. “He’s one of our faster receivers and can stretch the defense.

“I think he enjoys that role and understands that he’s going to be an over-the-top guy. It’s just a perfect role for him.”

During training camp last year, Spruce showed the skills that helped him leave Colorado as the Pac-12 Conference’s all-time leader in receptions.

He caught a touchdown pass from backup quarterback Sean Mannion in the first preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys before suffering a knee injury. That setback, followed by another injury on the eve of a possible return, kept him sidelined throughout the season.

The 6-2, 210-pound Spruce appears physically sound again and made several notable plays during OTAs and minicamps.

“You see a natural football player,” McVay said. “He’s got a good feel for the game. I think he’s got good aggressive hands.”

The second-year pros, while competing to increase their own playing time, have aided the rookies in their transition from college to the NFL, Reynolds said.

“If I’m struggling on a play or alignment, they’ll get me corrected,” he said. “It’s not like a, ‘Oh, you’re-doing-this-wrong’ type of thing.

“They’re helpful.”

[www.latimes.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's quite obvious barring injury the last two spots on the roster will come down to Thomas, Spruce & Cooper. Cooper is the best special team player as he can return both punts & kickoffs, whereas, Spruce has returned Punts and Thomas although he had a disaster can return kick offs.

Thomas is the faster of the three and can player the flanker position as Cooper & Spruce are slot wide receivers. One or two big plays can make the difference. I have posted on a couple of other threads that I believe Cooper could be traded to a team who needs a punt returner and the Rams keep both Spruce and Thomas because Thomas offers something the Rams don't have with the ability to play outside and stretch the field, but a few drop passes and a punt return for a TD by Cooper in preseason could change everything.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Precise route running, understanding the playbook, knowing where you and everyone else are supposed to be (timing), and CATCHING THE BALL will be what decides who the WR corps will be. McVay has said many times he wants WR's that can instill confidence in the QB, and what round you were drafted or how much you make won't factor in his decision.

The competition will be fierce during TC and pre-season. Rams should have a much better WR group to replace the sloppy play of last season.

There will be surprises come cut down time.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Precise route running, understanding the playbook, knowing where you and everyone else are supposed to be (timing), and CATCHING THE BALL will be what decides who the WR corps will be. McVay has said many times he wants WR's that can instill confidence in the QB, and what round you were drafted or how much you make won't factor in his decision.

The competition will be fierce during TC and pre-season. Rams should have a much better WR group to replace the sloppy play of last season.

I think that will play a large role in regards to playing time, but when cut down day comes, non-starters have got to be strong on special teams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've said this before, I don't think Thomas, Cooper, and Spruuuuce got to where they are by going easy. I mean, they are 2nd year players and can really play. I'd be shocked if we could cut either of them and not lose something. Just recently, Kupp was shaken up going up for a play and landing hard. That kinda stuff happens to rookies...Ask Pharoh. I'd rather keep 7 wr's.....untill the 5th week or so...and see who is who. The main decider should be, who is effective outside the numbers....I believe we have an overabundance of "slot" type receivers.

Oh yeah...my boy Marquez North ....#13....can play.....

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd rather keep 7 wr's....

Tough to keep 7 when nobody stands out with other positions that will be tough cuts as well (linebacker) and I've been reading about Marquez North for two years...The Time is Now!

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It's quite obvious barring injury the last two spots on the roster will come down to Thomas, Spruce & Cooper. Cooper is the best special team player as he can return both punts & kickoffs, whereas, Spruce has returned Punts and Thomas although he had a disaster can return kick offs.

Thomas is the faster of the three and can player the flanker position as Cooper & Spruce are slot wide receivers. One or two big plays can make the difference. I have posted on a couple of other threads that I believe Cooper could be traded to a team who needs a punt returner and the Rams keep both Spruce and Thomas because Thomas offers something the Rams don't have with the ability to play outside and stretch the field, but a few drop passes and a punt return for a TD by Cooper in preseason could change everything.

Spot on analysis, den. As usual.

If Thomas continues to show good hands through camp, he's in. He's then a complete WR, deep threat, and major ST contributor. So I guess I'm saying that he becomes the 5th WR. Maybe playing ahead of Reynolds for a year. A steal as a '16 pick in the 6th round, tbh.

I, too, favor Spruce over Cooper. He can make catches both from the slot and from the outside, constantly gets separation, plus he never seems to drop the ball. How does McVay cut such a player?

Keeping 7 WR's seems like a long shot given our other tight position battles.

So, by a process of elimination, Cooper looks like the odd man out. Damned shame, too. Good teammate, very football smart, versatile as heck, and can really contribute on ST.

The other candidates, including Marquez, appear to be victims of the numbers game.

That's my take as of June 20th, anyway.

Our WR position group has taken a quantum leap over the '16 version.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It's shaping up to be an incredible preseason. When you have this type of competition, we are going to see 200% effort out of these guys as the battle for a spot.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Unfortunately an injury setback for any of these second year guys could be the difference in them making the team. Both Cooper an Spruce had health issues last year but still made the team however they may not get as much grace in year two if they get dinged and cannot practice for an extended period especially width the depth of competition the Rams have this year at WR. The Rams have a deep WR corp this year IMO and whoever survives/makes the cut could end up carving out a decent career with our Rams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've said this before, I don't think Thomas, Cooper, and Spruuuuce got to where they are by going easy. I mean, they are 2nd year players and can really play. I'd be shocked if we could cut either of them and not lose something. Just recently, Kupp was shaken up going up for a play and landing hard. That kinda stuff happens to rookies...Ask Pharoh. I'd rather keep 7 wr's.....untill the 5th week or so...and see who is who. The main decider should be, who is effective outside the numbers....I believe we have an overabundance of "slot" type receivers.

I completely agree Champ, But I don't think North makes the 53 man Roster. Too much good competition!;):D

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon/Woods/Kupp/Reynolds are safe

I think Cooper and Spruce will make it

And that leaves Thomas. If he impresses, they keep 7 - and honestly, Spruce, Tavon, Woods, and Cooper have all missed time with injuries, so this will probably work itself out.

I still keep 7 though and have Tavon play some RB - just keep 3 RBs aside from Tavon.

Ram65

Legend

Tough to keep 7 when nobody stands out with other positions that will be tough cuts as well (linebacker) and I've been reading about Marquez North for two years...The Time is Now!

Following the conclusion of the club’s offseason program last week, the Rams have waived four players: wide receiver Marquez North, linebacker Reggie Northrup, center Demetrius Rhaney, and outside linebacker Teidrick Smith.

Sorry He was cut with Rainey per @RamsJunkie
http://ramsondemand.com/threads/rhaney-cut.49938/

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Rookies get the play since they were hand picked by the coach to fit his scheme. The 2nd year guys fight for the scraps.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Buy bye Marquez North wish him the best. His ST skills might get him signed somewhere.

Ram65

Legend
Thomas impressed during off season workouts. He avoided drops and made several difficult catches.

I think Thomas has the up on Cooper and Spruce. Plays outside, gets deep and aggressive gunner. Seems like the first time I read that he avoided drops which puts him over the top if that continues.

I believe Cooper could be traded to a team who needs a punt returner and the Rams keep both Spruce and Thomas

That could be the ideal solution if everyone stays healthy. It would be a difficult decision to choice between Cooper and Spruce. I've been leaning toward Spruce but, we really haven't seen much on the field action.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly

When it comes to who Goff has confidence in, where do you think Austin ranks?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Josh Reynolds can emerge as one of the top 4 WR's by the time camp breaks, that would be HUGE for us.

SAFE
Woods
Austin
Kupp
Reynolds

BATTLE
Cooper
Thomas
Spruce

I actually think Pharoh Cooper is pretty safe, so it may come down to Thomas and Spruce depending on how healthy we emerge from camp.