Klein: Rams rookie receivers could push second-year pros for playing time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not so sure about Reynolds. He's going to have to excel against taller more experienced DB's. He's young, lanky and might need time to fill out. I could see him being put on the PS or IR'd.

It's going to go down to the last pre season game before the WR corps get decided.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not so sure about Reynolds. He's going to have to excel against taller more experienced DB's. He's young, lanky and might need time to fill out. I could see him being put on the PS or IR'd.

It's going to go down to the last pre season game before the WR corps get decided.
More experienced db's sure but are there corners taller than 6'3"?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

He wouldn't make it to the practice squad. He was touted a huge steal where we got him. He's claimed 100% if we try and get pretty moving him to the PS.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The usual seven WRs are mentioned as if the others don't exist. Understandable. I guess.

But, what happens if Shakier Ryan makes a few explosive plays on offense (that most of the others cannot) and runs back a couple punts/kicks for TDs during preseason?

Then what?

Memphis Ram

Legend
He wouldn't make it to the practice squad. He was touted a huge steal where we got him. He's claimed 100% if we try and get pretty moving him to the PS.

Plus, there would be another salary cap hit for a team that needs as much cap space as possible.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The usual seven WRs are mentioned as if the others don't exist. Understandable. I guess.

But, what happens if Shakier Ryan makes a few explosive plays on offense (that most of the others cannot) and runs back a couple punts/kicks for TDs during preseason?

Then what?

If that were to happen, I'd find a way to trade Tavon and put Ryan on punts and kicks.

I don't have faith in any of the other receivers to make the roster, but I very well could be wrong.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler

Then what?

I'd trade Pharoh, put Spruce on PS and give Ryan the 6th WR spot. I'd keep:
Woods
Austin
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas
Ryan

Do you think Marquez makes it as a pure ST guy or do they go with a LB with the 3-4 switch in that role do you think?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd trade Pharoh, put Spruce on PS and give Ryan the 6th WR spot. I'd keep:
Woods
Austin
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas
Ryan

Do you think Marquez makes it as a pure ST guy or do they go with a LB with the 3-4 switch in that role do you think?

Depends upon the player, but I'd guess LB.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien

If I'm not mistaken he was the top receiver in the SEC last season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've said this before, I don't think Thomas, Cooper, and Spruuuuce got to where they are by going easy. I mean, they are 2nd year players and can really play. I'd be shocked if we could cut either of them and not lose something. Just recently, Kupp was shaken up going up for a play and landing hard. That kinda stuff happens to rookies...Ask Pharoh. I'd rather keep 7 wr's.....untill the 5th week or so...and see who is who. The main decider should be, who is effective outside the numbers....I believe we have an overabundance of "slot" type receivers.

Oh yeah...my boy Marquez North ....#13....can play.....

I'll keep saying 7 WR's

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tough to keep 7 when nobody stands out with other positions that will be tough cuts as well (linebacker) and I've been reading about Marquez North for two years...The Time is Now!

Here you talk about special teams . These 3 can your guys are play special teams.

Don't forget about injuries either.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spot on analysis, den. As usual.

If Thomas continues to show good hands through camp, he's in. He's then a complete WR, deep threat, and major ST contributor. So I guess I'm saying that he becomes the 5th WR. Maybe playing ahead of Reynolds for a year. A steal as a '16 pick in the 6th round, tbh.

I, too, favor Spruce over Cooper. He can make catches both from the slot and from the outside, constantly gets separation, plus he never seems to drop the ball. How does McVay cut such a player?

Keeping 7 WR's seems like a long shot given our other tight position battles.

So, by a process of elimination, Cooper looks like the odd man out. Damned shame, too. Good teammate, very football smart, versatile as heck, and can really contribute on ST.

The other candidates, including Marquez, appear to be victims of the numbers game.

That's my take as of June 20th, anyway.

Our WR position group has taken a quantum leap over the '16 version.

You look back at The Rams always keeping Chase Reynolds. I hated that.

I think Corey Harkey is the next to go.
Sam Rodgers is a better fit in McVays offense.
I also think The Rams will only keep 3 RB's Dunbar,Gurley, & ???? One other RB

Ram65

Legend

Then what?

A little small for kickoff returns?

I think he goes to practice squad. Then we see how Tavon does this year. Nice to have him around if Tavon gets hurt or cut in the future.