Kenny Young's Ejection

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I didn't agree with the ejection. Simply put... I think intent needs to be considered when tossing a player for "contact with an official". I don't believe that Kenny meant to touch that ref's hat in the slightest... he grazed his hat after the official came up behind him and started grabbing at KENNY. The ref made contact with KENNY from behind as there was all kinds of extra curricular activity going on in that pile of players. Obviously Kenny was HIGHLY PISSED about something that happened at the end of that play. Players don't freak like that over normal game violence.

When that ref made contact with Kenny from behind, he had no idea that it was a ref grabbing him. Hell, there were colt players all around him and it could have been one of them for all he knew. Helmets do restrict your peripheral vision. Once he realized finally that it was a zebra grabbing him... Kenny walked away immediately.

Grazing a refs hat as he physically grabs YOU from behind during an obvious dust-up should not be something a player is tossed for. Kenny clearly did not mean to graze his hat and I think he thought it was a colt player who was grabbing him.

Refs shouldn't jump into shit like that and not expect to receive some incidental contact from highly agitated players in the heat of the moment. If they are permitted to physically grab players... it should be understood that incidental contact could come to them as a result. Either that... or they shouldn't be allowed to touch a player at all.

It's completely different when a player means to make contact with an official. That shit is bush-league and should never be tolerated. What Kenny did yesterday was nothing like that if you're asking me. He did not intentionally make contact with that dumpy ref... he accidentally grazed his hat after being grabbed from behind by the ref first. Reasonable judgement needs to be used in cases like that. No fucking way did he purposefully make contact with that ref. It's very easy to see the difference.

For those of you who are going to disagree with my stance here... you should know that my oldest son @Ramrasta didn't agree with me yesterday while we watched it together either. His wife however, agreed with me. She didn't see Kenny meaning to graze the hat either.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on this as far as if his ejection was justified... but I am saying that refs should NOT be permitted to make purposeful contact with a player at all if reasonaable judgment is not going to be used if a player makes incidental contact with a ref afterwards.

View: https://youtu.be/iY-HqiRjIpw

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I didn't agree with the ejection. Simply put... I think intent needs to be considered when tossing a player for "contact with an official". I don't believe that Kenny meant to touch that ref's hat in the slightest... he grazed his hat after the official came up behind him and started grabbing at KENNY. The ref made contact with KENNY from behind as there was all kinds of extra curricular activity going on in that pile of players. Obviously Kenny was HIGHLY PISSED about something that happened at the end of that play. Players don't freak like that over normal game violence.

When that ref made contact with Kenny from behind, he had no idea that it was a ref grabbing him. Hell, there were colt players all around him and it could have been one of them for all he knew. Helmets do restrict your peripheral vision. Once he realized finally that it was a zebra grabbing him... Kenny walked away immediately.

Grazing a refs hat as he physically grabs YOU from behind during an obvious dust-up should not be something a player is tossed for. Kenny clearly did not mean to graze his hat and I think he thought it was a colt player who was grabbing him.

Refs shouldn't jump into shit like that and not expect to receive some incidental contact from highly agitated players in the heat of the moment. If they are permitted to physically grab players... it should be understood that incidental contact could come to them as a result. Either that... or they shouldn't be allowed to touch a player at all.

It's completely different when a player means to make contact with an official. That shit is bush-league and should never be tolerated. What Kenny did yesterday was nothing like that if you're asking me. He did not intentionally make contact with that dumpy ref... he accidentally grazed his hat after being grabbed from behind by the ref first. Reasonable judgement needs to be used in cases like that. No fucking way did he purposefully make contact with that ref. It's very easy to see the difference.

For those of you who are going to disagree with my stance here... you should know that my oldest son @Ramrasta didn't agree with me yesterday while we watched it together either. His wife however, agreed with me. She didn't see Kenny meaning to graze the hat either.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on this as far as if his ejection was justified... but I am saying that refs should NOT be permitted to make purposeful contact with a player at all if reasonaable judgment is not going to be used if a player makes incidental contact with a ref afterwards.

View: https://youtu.be/iY-HqiRjIpw

The New York committee review factor. Maybe we can get the call reversed and Young put back in the game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I disagree. Not a fan of players being all out of control. Throwing a tantrum in front of the ref with zero self control should be enough to get ejected. Intent doesn't really matter it's more about players being required to have self control.

Otherwise shit just starts unravelling. You gotta have standards that are upheld otherwise this shit will look like a pickup game which is fun and all but not something anyone wants to pay for.

Oh and btw that OL riding him into the grass was some BS. But you don't always get the penalty so suck it up 41 and next play bro.

Psycho_X

Legend
Ehhh, I don't know. Ref was coming in to try and help break up a possible scrum and the initial contact that Young made turning around wasn't a big deal but he swings his hand in a downward motion after facing the ref inches from his face and hits the top of his hat bill with enough force to move his glasses and make the ref flinch. I get it wasn't Young's intention but I wouldn't buy that he didn't know who he was swinging his hand towards being inches from a pudgy middle aged white guys face with nerd glasses on.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. Not a fan of players being all out of control. Throwing a tantrum in front of the ref with zero self control should be enough to get ejected. Intent doesn't really matter it's more about players being required to have self control.

Otherwise shit just starts unravelling. You gotta have standards that are upheld otherwise this shit will look like a pickup game which is fun and all but not something anyone wants to pay for.

Oh and btw that OL riding him into the grass was some BS. But you don't always get the penalty so suck it up 41 and next play bro.
YOUSONOFA ~ Kyle Turley & Ritchie Incognito

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm more curious about what exactly he was so pissed about initially.
This. I saw the olineman holding onto his jersey as he was trying to get up, but I see that shit every week.

I honestly didn't even know he hit his hat at first, butI knew he was going to get ejected just by getting in the refs face.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I disagree. Don't touch an official. Plain and simple. Intent doesn't matter to me. If you are too heated to see that an official is right there, then you are too heated period.

jjab360

Legend
What other intent is there behind angrily throwing your hands directly in front of the ref's face? That was an aggressive overt action directed at another which is technically considered an assault, in my state at least. There was ill intent there, he wanted his temper tantrum to draw attention to how upset he was and it did.

Well deserved ejection.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
They didn't even throw the flags until he started yelling at the dude. The contact was an excuse to get him out. His behavior was unacceptable and touching the ref was a bad move.

Q729

Legend
He was talking to someone and grabbing the back of his jersey. Can't remember if it was a player or a ref he was pleading to. Might have been talking to Donald and he had body language like, "I don't give a shit, keep your ass in gear"

Edit: Just saw that video clip up there. Nothing like what I saw in my head lol. But he did signal that someone was holding his jersey.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have never been a fan of NFL officials, especially when it comes to play on the line. They just pick and choose when to call offensive holding.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My real point in this is that I don't believe refs should be allowed to touch players if they don't expect to receive incidental contact in the process. Refs can fire flags and use their whistles to get the player's attention. They shouldn't be allowed to make contact at all if players are going to be ejected for making incidental with the refs afterwards.

No contact either way seems to be the right thing to inforce. Players AND refs both.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Not to pile on, but I'd agree that Young's ejection was appropriate.

Looking at it second-by-second, there was PLENTY of incidental contact between Young and ref #92 as they were attempting to disentangle the pile. Even though there was plenty of inadvertent contact between Young and the ref, there was no foul at that point.

It was only AFTER Young was fully standing and FACING the ref that the foul occurred. Young had 2 or 3 "anger spasms" at that point and accidentally hit the ref. (Ref looked like he was cowering to protect himself at that point).

Anyway, Young knew where he was and was looking right at the ref, and he threw a temper tantrum and whacked the ref's glasses by mistake. Clear reason for an ejection IMHO. Other Ram players (Ramsey, AD, Hollins) seemed to think Young was in the wrong, too.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
My real point in this is that I don't believe refs should be allowed to touch players if they don't expect to receive incidental contact in the process. Refs can fire flags and use their whistles to get the player's attention. They shouldn't be allowed to make contact at all if players are going to be ejected for making incidental with the refs afterwards.

No contact either way seems to be the right thing to inforce. Players AND refs both.
IMHO there is incidental contact all the time between players and refs as piles are "unscrambled." Happens all the time, and no fouls are called.

Only time the "hitting the ref" foul is called is when either (a) player did it on purpose or (b) player is so angry or out-of-control he should've known better. IMHO the Young foul fell into the second category.

Just my two cents, o' course...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Took me a couple re-watches but I finally saw it. Colts lineman basically grabbed him and ride him into the ground. Definitely could have been a called-penalty on the Colts. Ya gotta key on 41 at the snap, it's easy to miss with all the bodies flying around.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Took me a couple re-watches but I finally saw it. Colts lineman basically grabbed him and ride him into the ground. Definitely could have been a called-penalty on the Colts. Ya gotta key on 41 at the snap, it's easy to miss with all the bodies flying around.

Yup, can see why Kenny got pissed. Especially because everyone else stopped play. Imagine you grabbed from behind being doggied to the ground.

1632178013346.png

1632178051699.png

1632178106193.png

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Rams need to be more level headed after the whistle. I’ve seen several plays that looked like they could have been taunting penalties this year.

we all see the action - no reason to call any more attention to it than that.