Kenny Young is legit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ausmurp

Starter
I watched Young closely in practice when I could, and saw a much improved player. He's got that elite ILB speed and tackling we've been lacking for a long time now, and he seems to have progressed nicely. He's got a mean side and I'm betting he has a few personal foul calls on him this year, but he's a really good player and showed that against the Bears. He's the new starter I'm excited most about on D. Thoughts on Young?

dang

Legend
He needs to be Better than his C- results last year. Now we need a equal or better #2! I’m willing to give Reeder a chance but I believe he is limited to a C level player.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
He's a solid contributor IMO. anything else is likely a stretch
Yeah, to be honest I hope Jones or someone else steps up and replaces him. I definitely like Young more than Reeder but that's not saying much. Maybe it's just because its the 1st game and their rusty.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He made the Red Riffle his bitch on that tip that resulted in a pick. Looking forward to seeing what he can do against duel threat qbs.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
He needs to play better run defense. It looks he's guessing where they are running instead of reading and reacting.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm not sold on Young. He has good games and bad games. If you're elite, you don't have bad games.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I watched Young closely in practice when I could, and saw a much improved player. He's got that elite ILB speed and tackling we've been lacking for a long time now, and he seems to have progressed nicely. He's got a mean side and I'm betting he has a few personal foul calls on him this year, but he's a really good player and showed that against the Bears. He's the new starter I'm excited most about on D. Thoughts on Young?
I liked what I saw from him late last season.

Fans should keep in mind that he came to the Rams mid season and had to learn a new, complex defense.

Many also figured he was a throw in on the trade to get rid of Peters. But we all know how Snead scouts his player. It’s likely that Young was on their draft board, just like Corbett was.

That trade is looking much better than it initially looked….at this point anyway. One day we may have a LBer duo of Young/Jones. It might work pretty well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He played really well, imo. And I think fans can get focused on results, in this case the Bears running the ball, and lose sight of the process, meaning the Rams were in light boxes more than any team in the NFL this week. They quite literally wanted the Bears to run.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He covers a lot of ground that's for sure. :thumbsup1:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I had posted back in the early summer that I felt the Rams would be much better off releasing Kenny Young saving that $2.2 million & go with Jones or Howard instead.....I should never listen to my old brain again!

Not sure what you all were watching last Sunday night but ILB Kenny Young turned in his best NFL game performance against the Bears. You would be doing him an injustice if you did not give credit to Young for that INT in the end zone where the out of position David Long made the INT & got praise. It was Young whose reactions were unbelievable & climbed on air to tip the highly thrown ball all while covering the TE.

Before that when that Bear RB broke through the Rams left side DL for a near 40 yds & ran past all the rest of the slow-reacting & slow running DB's :angry:........it was a ILB'er (Young) who outraced & blew by the ROD's highly praised & super slow Jordan Fuller :thumbsdown:(who completely blew his responsibilities) to tackle & push the RB out of bounds to prevent the TD.

It's only one game but as I said in another thread ILB'er Kenny Young is the most improved Ram defender on this team......what Young did was just the opening series for the Bears offense but if you missed that then I am sure you missed the rest of the great plays he contributed too.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I had posted back in the early summer that I felt the Rams would be much better off releasing Kenny Young saving that $2.2 million & go with Jones or Howard instead.....I should never listen to my old brain again!

Not sure what you all were watching last Sunday night but ILB Kenny Young turned in his best NFL game performance against the Bears. You would be doing him an injusticse if you did not give credit to Young for that INT in the end zone where the out of position David Long made the INT. It was Young who climbed on air to tip the ball high all while covering the TE.

When that Bear RB broke through the Rams left side DL & ran past all the very slow reaction & slow running DB's it was ILB'er Young who outraced & blew by the highly praised Jordan Fuller :thumbsdown:(who completely blew his responsibilities) to tackle & push the RB out of bounds to prevent the TD.

It's only one game but like I said in another thread ILB'er Kenny Young is the most improved Ram defender on this team......what Young did was just the opening series for the Bears offense but if you missed that then I am sure you missed the rest of the great plays he contributed too.
Jourdan Rodrigue has sad it often this preseason.. ILB went from a big question mark last year to a plus this year. She knows what she's talking about. No one is 100%, but her observations are ones I believe. She was WAY ahead of the curve on last year's defense.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Jourdan Rodrigue has sad it often this preseason.. ILB went from a big question mark last year to a plus this year. She knows what she's talking about. No one is 100%, but her observations are ones I believe. She was WAY ahead of the curve on last year's defense.
Stu Jackson, staff writer for the Rams, has also said some positive things about him in the offseason.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm not sold on Young. He has good games and bad games. If you're elite, you don't have bad games.
I agree that it's way to early to be thinking "elite". And that's perfectly fine. Our LB corps has been lacking a real solid player for so long. Honestly we just need someone who is consistent and can make a play occasionally.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree that it's way to early to be thinking "elite". And that's perfectly fine. Our LB corps has been lacking a real solid player for so long. Honestly we just need someone who is consistent and can make a play occasionally.
So true! Rams defense took some big hits this off-season with departures of starters & key reserves total of six. Rams had 2 injuries to both inside LB'ers last season in Kiser & Howard forced Young to be the starter it sure looks like Kenny Young likes starting a whole lot! I swear he is much :fire1::love:faster than all our safeties.

OLB Ebukam signing with the 9ers & the continuing saga of an injured Og Okoronkwo gave us OLB'er & Denver cast off Justin Hollins. Hollins like Young had the best game of his professional short career last Sunday.

The Dl performance was below par IMO. That Brockers DE spot that was played by A'Shawn Robinson & SJ-D was opposite from what we saw from ILB & OLB post mentioned above.

Robinson was wasted space IMO. SJ-D had a bad game @ both NT & DE posts. Even AD had a negative night. Even our newly resigned $64 million with $32.5 million guaranteed OLB Leonard Floyd was mostly MIA on most plays. Floyd was certainly outshined by Hollins who only make $850K this season.

I would say that little known LB'ers Young & Hollins (NFL afterthoughts & throwaways) carried Ram's defense throughout that Bears gm.

Last edited:

sloramfan

Starter
bonifay... concurr...

the rams need to re-assess...

floyd was a complete dissapointment...

guys are not as advertized.. and it shows...

i think the brass sees thing as we do, so hopefully, changes that we see are coming...

go rams

slo

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I think those banging on Floyd at this point in the season need to maybe slow their roll a bit.
It was pretty obvious, at least to me, that Morris was keeping him in edge contain for the whole game, given Hollin’s ascent as an edge rusher.