Keep Barron at WLB, move Ogletree to MLB, put Laurinaitis at SLB in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The 6-3 255 pound Akeem Ayers might be the best alternative @ MLB. Ayers is signed for 2016 season. Ayers played inside for the Patriots Superbowl run last season. Ayers is a versatile athlete with great measurables. He does possesses the speed to make plays from sideline-to-sideline though. The big issue with Ayers playing the middle is he is not that quick in his reads. When Gregg goes to the Nickle (& its often) Ayers like now will come off the field.

Bryce Hagar might be another prospect to start @ MLB'er in 2017. Darren Bates has been playing the 4th ILB'er in goal line defenses. In addition Cameron Lynch has played some ILB'er.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not for 6.1 Million. That is almost a whole Jeff Fisher!

No, you shake his hand, thank him for his service on the worst team maybe ever, and let him test Free Agency. When no one signs him to play a position he wants for a contract he feels he deserves, he can come back and sign with us for a much lower number as a backup.

Scholarships have to end if this team is going to take the next step. Bradford was a good first step. But the core of Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Rodger Saffold, and Jared Cook needs to be blown up and replaced with replacement level or above talent at much lower salaries.
Well said and 100% the truth .

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It may be best to keep JL another year.

1. the defense is still pretty damn good. The offense is a train wreck most days.
2. We need a QB, 2 WRs, at least one decent TE, some depth to the OL, and (arguably for some not me) at least more options at LT. I'm not spending high draft picks on the defensive side of the ball unless they are clearly the best player available. I would have to confident they are like Donald or Quinn.
3. Like has been said, it takes a brain to fill JLs shoes. Don't think for a moment our coaches don't see JL's physical limitations. Yet somehow he never leaves the field. I think that counts for something.

I think it's best to find a guy with good football intelligence and decent skill in the mid rounds of the draft and let him learn for a year or two. Everyone wants a huge hammer for a middle linebacker, I say I don't really care about giant hits. That'll just get him injured half the year. I want a guy that can cover downfield. I want a guy who knows how to watch film and knows what he needs from his defense based on the other teams alignments. Another JL that's young enough to shed some blocks is fine with me. Let McDonald and Barron blow people up.
JMO of course.

RamWoodie

Legend
JL has been a decent MLB but there comes a time when a guy has served his purpose. We've probably seen the last of JL but moving Ogletree would be a disastrous decision. You keep him where he is as well as Barron.

As has been said by Bonifay, Ayers could be the answer for right now and you look to the draft for an MLB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO the Rams need to cut Chris Long and James Laurinaitis I agree with keeping Barron, but they could go with Barron and Olgetree next year with Bryce Hager in the middle. Hager is very smart and is much better sideline to sideline than Laurinaitis.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hmmmm.....this is so strange to me.... I have had a problem with JL55's play for 3 years.... I wanted Stephone Anthony last year. I want that guy from Notre Dame THIS year....but not as much as a QB....Maybe grab the MLB in the firsts...QB/WR in the second...decisions decisions.....
I think Tree can play middle...I think Bates/Lynch can play middle too....I think we need to move Barron to his more natural role of SS...We get killed by power running teams....The only thing is...we still have Mcleod on the field at FS....hmmm decisions....
Draft LB, that kid at Bama is good too...Let Tree call defense from will....Keep Ayers on the field more...cut JL if he doesn't restructure contract. CLong too...Move Barron to SS....Move TJ to FS....don't re-sign McLeod....thats a tough one...

This off season is going to be the most interesting off season since Fisher arrived. Many very big decisions must be made around here & they will be very hard from the full spectrum of things. The LB'ing unit is one unit that will face some of these changes.

The fact is James Laurinaitis signed a super fat 5 year, $41,500,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $13,620,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,300,000. There is only one reason he was able to secure this.....he is a full extension of the DC right onto the field. JL has been the ultimate self sacrificing Ram since is arrival & even continues to this moment in time. I said it for yrs that its been JL who has made this defense be as good as it can be due to his football IQ!

JL has been able to stay on the field in spite of his declining skills & abilities due to the upgrade of defensive talent around him. With the loss of this teams best LB'er Alec Ogletree & the un health of Quinn & Long have greatly depleted his surrounding talent level putting a tremendous amount of weight & responsibility on his shoulders. JL's physical liabilities have been left in painful full site for all to see. The other fact is JL has been suffering from a very serious elbow injury that has made JL play with just one working arm. If i were the Seattle & SF I would run the ball all day long up the gut! I was surprised that Tampa did not follow through with those middle runs.

But that is what you get from JL he is pure old time football player totally UN-selfish and 100% team first. In a NFL world full of "Me Firsts Mouthers" & "Self Chest Bangers"... JL is one of very few real men who meet the opponents challenges with his "Working Brain" first! Something raillery ever seen on the field & our TV's. So when I posted my previous thoughts on the consideration that must be made with JL.....I knew I needed to have this followup post to acknowledge the great professionalism that JL has brought to this Ram Organization since his arrival in 2008. So he should get this :bow:(y):love: From this Ram fan.

I would have to release JL and get those 12 or more dozen millions in the cap bank for the 2016/2017 seasons. I would also let him experience the 2016 UFA'cy to see if he could get some real decent offers from other leadership deprived teams but I would also make him a decent cap friendly offer sheet to fall back on with the Rams. This offer would reflect that his days as a full time starter have come to an end & would be help coaching & assisting his new MLB'er replacement. JL would be here to pinch hit at times when needed due to injury but Hagar or Ayers will be the starting MLB'er.

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have to keep Barron. You don't let impact player walk when they can play three different positions at a high level for you. Not unless your hand is forced. Ours isn't. If we have to cut JL55 to keep Barron in the fold so be it. Injuries happen every year. A guy as versatile and effective as Barron is invaluable. He won't be cheap to retain but he shouldn't cost the moon and the stars, either - he has only had one season in this league that could be fairly described as very good to excellent. No other system fits him better. Barron likely knows this.
Barron was a first round draft pick. He knows he's good, and he's basicallya strong safety who, in my opinion, will be looking for top dollar. Anyone know what the highest salary is for a strong safety? We probably can't afford him and we really don't need him anyway, as we already have TJ and Mo Alexander. I will miss Barron though. Great hitter!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Barron was a first round draft pick. He knows he's good, and he's basicallya strong safety who, in my opinion, will be looking for top dollar. Anyone know what the highest salary is for a strong safety? We probably can't afford him and we really don't need him anyway, as we already have TJ and Mo Alexander. I will miss Barron though. Great hitter!

Alexander has been good. I think life without Barron or even one of the two corners wouldn't be a huge drop down in overall team defense. However, if Barron is willing to be cap friendly, I think letting him go would be a mistake in that case.