Keep Barron at WLB, move Ogletree to MLB, put Laurinaitis at SLB in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I'm not the smartest football guy on here, but with Barron playing so well at WLB you would hate to move him. Ogletree may have great potential in the middle, Laurinaitis is still a solid football player. What are the pros and cons to this? Does Ogletree even fit in the middle?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Personally, we need a MLB.

Start the hate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Laurinaitis is past the point where he could be an effective SAM. Maybe a WIL, but probably not anymore.
I agree that it's time to find a replacement, and I say that with the utmost respect for everything he's done for this team.
But he's just too easily washed out of plays now. We need a penetrator.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Laurinaitis can't take on blockers. He'd be a disaster at Sam.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Laurinaitis is past the point where he could be an effective SAM. Maybe a WIL, but probably not anymore.
I agree that it's time to find a replacement, and I say that with the utmost respect for everything he's done for this team.
But he's just too easily washed out of plays now. We need a penetrator.
You think Ogletree can be that guy? We have two very good WLB in Barron and Ogletree now.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Strictly a WLB, he flamed out at SLB when Greg Williams put him there. He's not the kind of guy you want taking on blocks or calling the defense. Great WLB though. Let Barron walk. We got to sign other guys.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You think Ogletree can be that guy? We have two very good WLB in Barron and Ogletree now.
Ogletree as a MLB? I don't know. That position, particularly in Gregg Williams' defense, requires just a ton of intelligence and the ability to diagnose an offense. Not saying Tree's not smart or anything. Just saying that playing MLB in Williams' 4-3 takes much more than just athleticism and the ability to tackle.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well you guys answered my questions. Thank you very much.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Put JL out to pasture . Hate to say it but he has done nothing this year . JMHO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Strictly a WLB, he flamed out at SLB when Greg Williams put him there. He's not the kind of guy you want taking on blocks or calling the defense. Great WLB though. Let Barron walk. We got to sign other guys.

Ogletree is definitely better in space. He has trouble shedding blocks in traffic too.

Just dont miss on Scooby wright like we missed on Billy Wagner.

They missed out on CJ Mosely. He was in on every play against the Rams. He was sideline to sideline and had great penetration. I know Fisher liked him but just didn't have enough picks to get him in round 1.

Is right a similar player? If so why is he being projected here as a third rounder?

fastcat

Pro Bowler
If you think jl can't shed a block you haven't seen tree. Tree likes to run around blocks plus he misses alot of tackles cuz he doesn't wrap up. He is good where he is at. Idk how barron will fit in. He is a player, maybe we revolutionize the game with a 220lb LB but idk. We have a good problem to solve

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm thinking it may be possible with our first 2'nd round pick. Now that the Rams have found the win column once again, we may have played ourselves out of the sweepstakes for a top rated QB, OT, or WR, so i'm back to considering trading down and acquiring a third 2'nd round pick. I'd venture to guess that Williams would love a Scooby Wright on board, … Laurinaitis is done imo, and his CAP savings could definitely come in handy during free agency. jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to keep Barron. He's a talent but really needs to play in Williams system
Unless the Rams can get a hometown discount, I can see him taking top dollar to go elsewhere, and then flame out

Big Willie

Starter
How about.....
  • Draft a stud MLB
  • Keep Ogletree at the WLB
  • Use Barron on select plays at OLB/Big Safety
  • Cut JL

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's definitely time to draft a MLB. I may question their picks on offense, but these guys definitely know how to select defensive players in the draft.

I think it's great the we have a player in Barron who we can keep as depth for WLB, safety and big nickel SLB. Crazy to think how Lovie Smith couldn't fit him in with his system but he's capable of playing three positions in ours. Love that trade and no ill will towards the defensive coordinator of our super bowl win Just how it goes I guess, and he's just one of those guys I don't think we'll have a hard time signing because he's such a great fit on our team.

I think that's probably the best strategy right there, if they happen to come across a MLB at BPA in the draft, or trade around their picks to get the value they want at the position, like they did for Ogletree if I remember right, and of course you keep Laurinaitus to start the season at MLB until your pick is ready to start.

And to the OP, Barron is already kind of our guy at SLB in big nickel, which if you remember is kind of what they were going on numerous attempts to find someone else to sub in for better pass defense, which makes sense when you think about how we like to play our safeties.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I don't care who whe get as long as he is a real thumper by taking on big lineman and playing down hill at a fast and furious pace. Even though he was small at MLB, we could use someone with the attitude like former Ram London Fletcher. Played bigger than his size because of attitude and heart.

I love JL, but he has really struggled this year being able to break off blocks and get to the ball carrier.